The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 December 2019, 04:55 AM   #1
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Advice please. SBGE249 vs SBGE209

Hi guys,

For those who have either one, what are your thoughts on the fit? I have about a 6.6” wrist and from a taste perspective prefer thin watches and find the six digit submariner to be as big of a watch that I feel comfortable wearing. Lug to lug the sub is about 48mm whereas I’ve been told the SBGE249 is 47.7mm but read elsewhere it’s 48.5mm. The other issue is the height. 14mm is noticeably thicker than anything else I have and I actually got rid of a Tudor BB GMT because it was too thick. Any issues with the SBGE249 sliding under a cuff?

Really torn between getting the SBGE249 or tracking down a SBGE209 which at 39.5mm and 46.5mm lug to lug I know would be a better fit. Love the dial of the SBGE249 though. Pretty much decided to get a spring drive GMT and these two are the final contenders.

Thanks for any input.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:14 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I am a very happy owner of the SBGE249. The blizzard dial, Spring Drive, stainless steel (I prefer it to titanium), polishing, GMT function, bracelet and clasp are all top notch and amazing.

Yes, it’s not a “thin” watch, but I happen to love the look and feel of the size. It’s not meant to be a “dress” watch. I also happen to be almost 2 meters tall, so the size blends nicely.

As for the comparison to the Tudor, the GS’s case is very well sculpted, which tends to visually reduce the height a bit.

I also happen to wear a 116610LV often, and very much enjoy the change in look, feel and size.

YMMV. Good luck with your choice!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 11:51 PM   #3
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
I just got my SBGE249 and have been wearing it for a week or so. I have worn the 209 as well at the AD. Without a doubt the 249 would be my choice when it comes to the looks. Regarding the size, I would be more worried with the thickness than the lug to lug, because it slopes down a lot at the lugs so it wears smaller than your typical 47mm+ lug to lug. The thickness however is noticeable, the bezel is very smooth so it helps with it sliding down under the cuff in some cases, but it is at the very limit of thickness that I would accept for my wrist. My wrist is almost 7".

The thickness difference between the 249 and 209 is 0.4mm only.

If you are looking for strictly a dress watch I would get another GS. If you are looking for one that suits both, the 249 on the Timeless Mugatoo straps are amazing.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 03:27 AM   #4
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I had the 209 for a couple of weeks. Really loved the unique dial. But realised soon after that legibility was a real problem especially in less than desirable lighting conditions. This is because the blue GMT hand looks very similar to the other hands in the conditions mentioned earlier. Sold it off and bought the SBGE213 instead. Very happy with it. Some might find it boring but what can I say. I’m a boring guy. Good luck!
Old 9 December 2019, 11:59 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

249 for the win. I have a 6.5,sizing approved . Great all-rounder
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote