The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2019, 04:40 AM   #31
sambb
"TRF" Member

Other brands add value. But cheaper is always more fun. In the big picture maybe collecting expensive things isn’t as fun as other hobbies. Mechanical watches have been surpassed by tech in many ways. Amazing that some watches cost more than a new car.

Another option is to look at TT sub or
GMT
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 04:43 AM   #32
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

yes, it stands for "suggested retail", which doesn't mean a whole lot when such a high percentage of the watches are being sold at prices other than what rolex suggests.

I have nothing to do with setting that price. That "suggestion" has nothing to do with what my willingness to pay is. It's completely random as pertains to me. If they bump MSRP 10% tomorrow is that because all the watches just got 10% better?

It's as if paying $1k over MSRP is a crisis, but if MSRP increases by the same $1k then everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Hey bud, msrp doesn't stand for manufacture sales random pricing. What a silly comment you made.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 04:43 AM   #33
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sorry to hear it OP. You’re one of the OGs and it would be sad to see you go. I personally like to have a small collection but each watch has to be meaningful.

The hobby for me isn’t just about collecting watches though. I like to learn about the watches that I have. Appreciate them by using and maintaining them. I also enjoy learning about other watch brands. I especially enjoy learning about how mechanical watches work in general and all the various types of complications and how they work. I generally read about them during my spare leisure time.

If I have already made the decision that I want a watch. That means that I have already secured the surplus to do so and am willing to pay the price. The amount no longer matters.

With regard to price. You can either pay in cash or pay in time.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:06 AM   #34
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Obviously my opinion here, but I imagine that the majority of people willing and able to pay significantly above MSRP for a mass produced watch are fortunate enough financially that the difference in price is fairly trivial to them. Further, some of them may simply be riding the hype train and interested in the watch because it's relatively hard to acquire (at least at MSRP), so paying that extra premium may make them actually enjoy the watch more, knowing that many others don't have access to it.
I paid over MSRP for my watch but love it. Also I did it because it is cheaper to do that then what I have to do to get it at MSRP eg buy other crap watches, jewellery etc so it’s overall cheaper.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:09 AM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I care what I pay.

But I don’t care if I’m paying over.

It all just depends on how much I want something. Car, watch, home, a woman...

Life is too short. I’m going to live it being ridiculously happy. Regardless if everyone else wants to love it being miserable.

As long as I’m not making decisions that effect my lifestyle or overall plan, idgaf.

It’s not a dress rehearsal folks.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:23 AM   #36
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Everyone’s radar focuses on the busty loud blonde.

While the sophisticated brunette and fiery redhead has always been in plain sight.

There’s more than Rolex people. Much more.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:24 AM   #37
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Everyone’s radar focuses on the busty loud blonde.

While the sophisticated brunette and fiery redhead has always been in plain sight.

There’s more than Rolex people. Much more.
Say it ain’t so.
Old 9 December 2019, 05:26 AM   #38
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Simply, purchase FULL GOLD at or below retail. Gotta pay to play/ that’s life!
PorscheNRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:30 AM   #39
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Also, if you were able to buy a steel at retail and decided to sell it... would you want market price or would do the “right thing” and sell at a discount? Just think about that.
PorscheNRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:35 AM   #40
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Sorry for the rant.......

I joined the watch forums (TZ) in 2004 and shortly after bought a Rolex. I have always wanted one since the time I started working.

I do not consider myself a collector. What I mean by that is that a collector has multiple items. I have one watch at a time. I elect not to tie up my money in watches, others like to do so, no problem with that. I buy a watch, get sick of it after a while and then sell it on the forum, then buy a new one in due time, and the cycle starts over again.

I have never bought a watch at a premium. This means to me, I have never and will never buy a watch over MSRP. All the watches I have bought to date have been from resellers on the forum, with one exception an msrp purchase at an AD.

The fun left this hobby for me when I started looking at professional sport models and the asking/selling prices were thousands of dollars above msrp. I get it, people opt to do this, it is your money and can do what you wish with it. I have to ask though: Is paying above msrp fun? Do you begrudge having to do so? When you look at your wrist with a watch that is sold to you above msrp, do you get enjoyment from it? A “used” piece should sell at a discount compared to new. I get it, hey a Picasso may have been bought and sold a few times, and it is not new and fetches a huge premium. But a Rolex is a mass produced watch.

Unless things turn around soon, my Explorer II on my wrist may be my last one.
You ought to get into coin collecting as a hobby: the going market price on the key dates are significantly over the original ‘MSRP’.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:36 AM   #41
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
When you look at your wrist with a watch that is sold to you above msrp, do you get enjoyment from it?
Yes.

If I didn't, I would have sold it on by now.

If something makes you feel sick, stop doing it. Big world. Lots of things to do in it.

Best wishes with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:40 AM   #42
martinr
"TRF" Member

The price or these watches we “must have” is already high at msrp, paying over seems like a waste of money to me, plus it’s just irritating when you know the watch price is driven up by social media and Instagram people that need to show off their luxury items to be cool or hip or whatever the word is. The “it’s only money you’ll soon forget about it when you’re able to enjoy the watch on your wrist” doesn’t seem smart to me.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:46 AM   #43
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

The Yankees just offered Cole 7 years and 245 million!! Hey OP.... is that about MSRP?? LOLLOL
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:53 AM   #44
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I don’t consider this to be fun hobby anymore....

Quote:

I joined the watch forums (TZ) in 2004 and shortly after bought a Rolex. I have always wanted one since the time I started working.

I do not consider myself a collector. What I mean by that is that a collector has multiple items. I have one watch at a time. I elect not to tie up my money in watches, others like to do so, no problem with that. I buy a watch, get sick of it after a while and then sell it on the forum, then buy a new one in due time, and the cycle starts over again.

I have never bought a watch at a premium. This means to me, I have never and will never buy a watch over MSRP. All the watches I have bought to date have been from resellers on the forum, with one exception an msrp purchase at an AD.

The fun left this hobby for me when I started looking at professional sport models and the asking/selling prices were thousands of dollars above msrp. I get it, people opt to do this, it is your money and can do what you wish with it. I have to ask though: Is paying above msrp fun? Do you begrudge having to do so? When you look at your wrist with a watch that is sold to you above msrp, do you get enjoyment from it? A “used” piece should sell at a discount compared to new. I get it, hey a Picasso may have been bought and sold a few times, and it is not new and fetches a huge premium. But a Rolex is a mass produced watch.

Agree with you on the crazy pricing these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:00 AM   #45
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

If this bandwagon gathers momentum there will be more watches for everyone not crying over spilled milk! Yippee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:03 AM   #46
mg Barcelona
Banned

I must be lucky as I do not like the maxi case models. The only unobtainable (within sensible price limits) is the Daytona C which I like but not totally in love with. Yesterday I put myself on the list for a YM40 Rhodium which will turn up after a short wait. Look around at other options to rekindle the flame if you want to, or maybe you have just moved on in life and that is OK too.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:04 AM   #47
Trog
Banned

I just posted a thread on how I just purged my collection of all modern Rolex watches. I found it just too frustrating not being able to procure a new model. After sitting patiently on lengthy wait-lists, I figured it was time to cut bait and go fishing elsewhere.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:05 AM   #48
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Getting a bit tired of all the people whining about value, MSRP, grey sellers, flippers and whatever.

It's really very simple, if you don't have enough money look elsewhere instead of feeling entitled and getting upset because you cannot play along.

Let's talk about the fantastic movement housed in the YM II instead
Old 9 December 2019, 06:16 AM   #49
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Getting a bit tired of all the people whining about value, MSRP, grey sellers, flippers and whatever.

It's really very simple, if you don't have enough money look elsewhere instead of feeling entitled and getting upset because you cannot play along.

Yes, I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you having to listen to opinions that differ from your own.
Old 9 December 2019, 06:21 AM   #50
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I just posted a thread on how I just purged my collection of all modern Rolex watches. I found it just too frustrating not being able to procure a new model. After sitting patiently on lengthy wait-lists, I figured it was time to cut bait and go fishing elsewhere.
But in your thread you say it’s because you didn’t find yourself using them.
What does that have to do with wait lists for new ones?
Old 9 December 2019, 06:22 AM   #51
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Who’s more the watch enthusiast? Someone who pays over MSRP for a current model and actually wears it and doesn’t continually worry about its value going forward? Or someone who wants a hot model but only at MSRP so they have a built in “profit” and then barely even wears it for fear of reducing its value?

Judging by the incessant threads on this subject I would guess the first group is far outnumbered by the second, who I don’t consider to be Rolex watch fans at all but rather fans of how much money their Rolex watches have made.

If a price crash ever does come, there will be a mad rush to the exits like you wouldn’t believe, and that might not be a bad thing.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:23 AM   #52
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:

I don't believe it is all about having the money, for me it's more is it worth the money? I keep my watches so for me it's not priority
they should rise in price. Then I don't like feed the moneymakers that just buy to sell.

But I guess we all have different sight on this.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:26 AM   #53
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Couldn’t agree more.

Quote:

Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:27 AM   #54
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
But in your thread you say it’s because you didn’t find yourself using them.
What does that have to do with wait lists for new ones?
I said lots of things in my thread. (BTW, two things can be true at the same time)

Collecting Rolex is a hobby for me….when I found it impossible / impractical to add to my collection, it was time to let it go.
Old 9 December 2019, 06:34 AM   #55
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Me too. I agree.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:52 AM   #56
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
+1 for the posts suggesting enjoying the models that you have and remembering why you wanted them and took joy from them in the first place. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say, so a deliberative attempt at a fresh look might remind you how you felt when you first got it/them. Best of luck to you whatever you may choose!
dane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 08:36 AM   #57
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Expend your horizons; Rolex isn't a magic brand. I've added Ball to my collection due to the availability of tritium lume. It's a better value more historic brand imho and provides something that Rolex can't seem to manage.
Thanks for that tip. I'd never heard of them. Quite awesome.
Old 9 December 2019, 08:40 AM   #58
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I care what I pay.

But I don’t care if I’m paying over.

It all just depends on how much I want something. Car, watch, home, a woman...

Life is too short. I’m going to live it being ridiculously happy. Regardless if everyone else wants to love it being miserable.

As long as I’m not making decisions that effect my lifestyle or overall plan, idgaf.

It’s not a dress rehearsal folks.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 08:41 AM   #59
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I love this hobby and always will. Watches are amazing things to wear and own. I love spending time looking at all the various brands and models and enjoying the culture associated to these pieces. Sure, the Rolex market is different then years ago but the basic principle of owning a nice watch is the same, being able to know the time, enjoying the design and that great feeling of having a timepiece on your wrist. Wahoo!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 08:41 AM   #60
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Obviously my opinion here, but I imagine that the majority of people willing and able to pay significantly above MSRP for a mass produced watch are fortunate enough financially that the difference in price is fairly trivial to them. Further, some of them may simply be riding the hype train and interested in the watch because it's relatively hard to acquire (at least at MSRP), so paying that extra premium may make them actually enjoy the watch more, knowing that many others don't have access to it.
I’d be willing to bet the opposite. That a large majority paying over retail are lower income Instagram attention seekers. If money is plentiful, then that class of people can spend what is needed at AD to get what they want. And are probably already in the luxury game with an established spend history. The person making $100-150k for the first time, driving their leased M5 and $2,500 rental apartment, is the one throwing the credit card to the greys for a Daytona.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote