The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2019, 09:04 PM   #1
BMedia
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II "Coke" help with buying

Morning,

Ever since seeing a Coke faced GMT I have fallen in love with it. I have a lot of customers who have many interesting variants of Rolex'es, including a root beer GMT but I have never seen a Coke.

I have now decided that it is the time to jump on it. I have been looking all over the internet for them, visiting the high street and so forth but can I tell you which one is a good deal... no! They're all over the place.

Could I ask for some advice on what I should be looking for?

What is considered good value?

What I should avoid?

This is quite a big investment for me so I need to ensure I am buying right. I am not looking to flip it or anything like that, but I need to know that my money is being placed right.
BMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:10 PM   #2
MSchu
Banned

Look for NIB
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:14 PM   #3
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Look for NIB
Being a discontinued model surely a NIB would be an impossibility? Or rare beyond rare?
Old 9 December 2019, 10:23 PM   #4
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
NIB coke?! Great advice...

OP, my suggestion is to go for a 16710 coke, which will be the middle-ground between cost, availability, and condition.

The 16700 never came in coke from factory, so don't bite if you see any around.
The 16760 (fat lady) is the first model that came out with coke (and only with coke, no black or pepsi) but more rare and expensive and unlikely to find in a comparably good condition.

So, 16710 it is! Then you have to decide whether you prefer cases with drilled lug holes (~ pre 2001; more old school and easier to change bracelets; tritium dials up to 1998 or so; also easier to evaluate condition of case and extent of polishing) or not (~ post 2001; most with superluminova swiss made dials, not as easy to evaluate polished/unpolished if you don't have experience). In the latter case you can also go for solid end links (a bit sturdier than non-SEL but no big deal; some interim serials have drilled holes and SEL if you prefer that combo, and swiss-only luminova dials). There are may options that some pay attention to and others don't care about!

I would suggest you forget about all those details and look for the one in the best condition your money can get.

Good luck with your hunt!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:43 PM   #5
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMedia View Post
Being a discontinued model surely a NIB would be an impossibility? Or rare beyond rare?
Not impossible.
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/gmt...id10051300.htm
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:12 PM   #6
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Look for NIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post
Not sure why OP would want a NIB.
I’m assuming, based on his post, that he’s looking for a Coke to wear, not to keep in a safe. Seems like a waste to buy NIB only to diminish its value by making it a daily wear.
To me, NIB is for the serious collector that sees a potential future value in keeping it pristine.
I own a 16710. I bought it 2nd hand and it had the black insert. I wanted a Pepsi so I sourced that insert, along with a Coke, from right here on TRF. Swapping out inserts is an easy DIY process with several “how to’s” here and on YouTube.
I’d suggest that OP not limit his search to just Coke models and look for the best value he can find regardless of insert. He can change the insert after he sources the base GMT.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:28 PM   #7
JP123
"TRF" Member

^ definitely this. I wanted a Pepsi but bought a coke and got the new bezel from RSC in London for £55. It’s a great watch!
JP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:30 PM   #8
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
For purposes of authenticity, your should buy the seller first. Second, condition is paramount. You should look at the case carefully, and will want to see sharp crisp edges.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:04 AM   #9
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the advice so far!

To follow on a few statements/questions...

Yes, I do want to wear it and enjoy it so NIB would be destroyed straight away. Especially paying the extra that they command.

With regards to swapping the dials... if I bought a Coke and found out later it was a black or pepsi dial does that make a difference to its heritage or does it not matter? Would it affect the value?

Does it make a difference to value if the dial has been swapped? I have seen older models that look better than newer models is this due to the someone has just updated the dial?

What cost are they at? I have seen a watch I like with slight marks on the dial but if I can change it for X then I would go for it.

Regards to price what is considered good and bad?

Is the £7k market the bottom tier, likely fettled with, probably missing papers and box or something along those lines?

Is £10k the starting price for a good one? Or is that over priced? As much as I want to keep it I would still like the idea of meat on the bone so I gain value.

With price as well, has the Aluminium dial hit the roof or are they still climbing?

Sorry for all of the questions but the Rolex market is a hard one to get my head around. It is one of the few places where you can buy second hand for more than new and there are a million fakes to watch out for and even genuine can be a grey area. I currently own a Monaco and Speedmaster, simple to buy.
Old 10 December 2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Personally I would just look for a 16710 in whatever bezel color you can find the best deal on (which usually means black) and then just swap the bezel out later to the Coke. I personally purchased a 2001 model - holes case, SEL bracelet, super luminova. To me the 2000-2002 models are the sweet spot for those reasons. I cannot stress enough how important the holes case is if you want to take it off the bracelet and put it on straps to change things up. It is sooooooooo much easier to change things up with a holes case.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 03:32 AM   #11
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
There is a newly listed 2005 model showing in the For Sale section, reasonably priced too.
Old 10 December 2019, 04:41 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
With regards to swapping the dials... if I bought a Coke and found out later it was a black or pepsi dial does that make a difference to its heritage or does it not matter? Would it affect the value?

Does it make a difference to value if the dial has been swapped? I have seen older models that look better than newer models is this due to the someone has just updated the dial?

. . .
The black/red (Coke) bezel GMT was sold for more than 20 years from the mid-80's into 2007 when the Ceramics came out.

There is no difference in the dial as it relates to a GMT II bezel; black, pepsi, or coke all refer to the bezel alone.

The bezel on all GMT II models are interchangeable and there is no real value difference except in the mind of the purchaser.. The 16760 is an exception as it only came in red/black.

Dial changes are a completely different discussion..

Buy the best example of a model you want, at a price you want to pay.
Old 10 December 2019, 04:54 AM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Jubilee and coke is awesome combo....love mine
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 04:58 AM   #14
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
There is a newly listed 2005 model showing in the For Sale section, reasonably priced too.
I've seen that. TBH, it makes me nervous it being in HK. Not being able to see the watch and with no international back up it feels like a lot of money to part with to a foreign land?

I have tried to spot it, but it doesn't appear to be on Chrono so it would solely be between them and I.

Does anyone have any advice on matters like this?
Old 10 December 2019, 05:06 AM   #15
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is no difference in the dial as it relates to a GMT II bezel; black, pepsi, or coke all refer to the bezel alone.
Sorry I meant if I bought a Coke and later found out it should have originally been a Black Bezel, would this hurt it as it would become a Franken watch?

Quote:

Well there is the question! Can a good example be bought at a good price? Is there a price they should be placed at, or it it over inflated prices only?

I have seen two identical watches from both highly reputable dealers.

Now sold it was £8995 (2002) and the one still online is £10950(2006) is 4 years worth £1995?
Old 10 December 2019, 05:33 AM   #16
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
NIB coke?! Great advice...

OP, my suggestion is to go for a 16710 coke, which will be the middle-ground between cost, availability, and condition.

The 16700 never came in coke from factory, so don't bite if you see any around.
The 16760 (fat lady) is the first model that came out with coke (and only with coke, no black or pepsi) but more rare and expensive and unlikely to find in a comparably good condition.

So, 16710 it is! Then you have to decide whether you prefer cases with drilled lug holes (~ pre 2001; more old school and easier to change bracelets; tritium dials up to 1998 or so; also easier to evaluate condition of case and extent of polishing) or not (~ post 2001; most with superluminova swiss made dials, not as easy to evaluate polished/unpolished if you don't have experience). In the latter case you can also go for solid end links (a bit sturdier than non-SEL but no big deal; some interim serials have drilled holes and SEL if you prefer that combo, and swiss-only luminova dials). There are may options that some pay attention to and others don't care about!

I would suggest you forget about all those details and look for the one in the best condition your money can get.

Good luck with your hunt!

Great advice right here. Just follow directions above. If not sure about seller look for watch with papers. And or at least post pictures here before you. Take as many high res pictures as you can. Probably your best bet against get those down. You’ll get plenty of expert evaluation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #17
Fire bloke
Banned

In the UK the 16710 green tag shows the serial number and what model the watch is as well as what bracelet the watch came with.. tags as follows
16710 is coke
16710BLRO pepsi
16710LN black
78790A SEL bracelet 78790 non SEL bracelet.

When purchased you could get any bezel swoped out at the AD ..so the only way you can tell what it originally was is the Tag..

the difference in price is they all cost the same as it's only £56 to get the bezel swoped at UK RSC.

A jubilee bracelet will cost £900 again swopable

I bought mine a couple of months ago from a market stall..however the seller is highly respected and it was fresh in from the original purchaser and in original condition never serviced.

The watch Come with original box, papers, 2x receipts,both tags, original letter of sale from AD...The one and only owners address a full set plusAll boxes etc in immaculate untouched condition

I have sent to RSC for bezel and bracelet change also full service and a pepsi bezel as the original was swoped out to Coke on perchase..

The cost will be £2000 ..but what I will have is a watch with full service history.. a new jubilee bracelet..
The old bracelet has the same date code as the watch
Again to me this is important. It has a little bit of stretch and that is again getting a full refurb at the best watch bracelet man in the UK

My advice don't rush and get the best watch you can afford.Papers are everything as is condition. Don't get anything with major dints and gauges ..minor scratches can be fixed at RSC but cost in the price of service etc

Mine in the end will have cost me the price of an average condition watch in the UK ...but mine will be in as new condition as it would have been when it left the factory. It will be a BLNR to match it's tag. With both bracelets and also the old bezel and insert. so the history is all in place.. you get the old bezel and insert back if you ask

I prefer a watch to be serviced by an RSC than to send to a watch shop.. and I want it in neutral condition so I can add wear
Fire bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 07:08 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Sorry I meant if I bought a Coke and later found out it should have originally been a Black Bezel, would this hurt it as it would become a Franken watch?

. . .
Any SS GMT II could be had with any bezel. A bezel change does not make a FrankenWatch, just as changing to any of the dozens of available dials on a DJ does not make it one.
Old 10 December 2019, 07:10 AM   #19
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I agree prices on these as well as the Pepsi's are all over the place from "oh that's looks a like a pretty good deal" "to HOLY BUCKETS am I missing something?"
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 07:22 AM   #20
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

All good advice, but guys... NO pictures ? Seriously !?

I chose mine with tritium dial and factory Jubilee, for that 80s vibe...

Wore it with a pepsi insert for a while, but eventually changed back to the original and didn't look back.

Love the Coke !!
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 07:50 AM   #21
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
My suggestion; Go for the newest example 16710, full set if possible. I wouldn't get caught up in the 3186 premium hype though. Also dont rule out the black insert as you can add an oem coke or pepsi anytime. A few months ago i found a one owner, non polished and lightly worn F ser.'05 full set black insert and added a pepsi insert no problem. Happy hunting!!..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Ok why not, the more pics the better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:41 AM   #23
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
The black/red (Coke) bezel GMT was sold for more than 20 years from the mid-80's into 2007 when the Ceramics came out.

The bezel on all GMT II models are interchangeable and there is no real value difference except in the mind of the purchaser.. The 16760 is an exception as it only came in red/black.

Dial changes are a completely different discussion..

This.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:06 AM   #24
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

As has been alluded to, prices are up from a few years ago but I still feel they’re worth it! My 16710 is one of my favorites. Great for traveling abroad. I agree with finding one in decent condition but not pristine. You don’t want to have to lament the inevitable dents and dings. Here’s my 16710 (started out as a Pepsi.)

Rocky Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:36 PM   #25
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
there is one with box and papers in the classifieds on this very website.
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 07:44 AM   #26
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the advice. After chatting it through with everyone I ended up having two offered on my plate.

One, a private sale of a 2000 Stick Dial at £12k

and one from Giles Waite watches of distinction. Full set including original receipts, not polished for £8500. Needless to say, I went with Giles.

The only think, the second hour doesn't stay synced. If I set it it ends up going back an hour. Could I be doing it wrong or is it something else? Before I head back out to see Giles I thought I would trouble shoot here.
Old 23 December 2019, 08:00 AM   #27
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
The only think, the second hour doesn't stay synced. If I set it it ends up going back an hour. Could I be doing it wrong or is it something else?
Can you explain what you mean a little more? Say you set both the 24hr hand and the hour hand to midnight. They should line up perfectly. In an hour you're saying the 24 hour hand will show 0100 and the hr hand would still be at 12am?

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 08:15 AM   #28
BMedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
Can you explain what you mean a little more? Say you set both the 24hr hand and the hour hand to midnight. They should line up perfectly. In an hour you're saying the 24 hour hand will show 0100 and the hr hand would still be at 12am?
The time now is 22:14

The main hour hand is just past 10, the minute at 14.

I set the second hour at San Fran time of 14:14 currently the second hour is sitting at 3 mins past 12.
Old 23 December 2019, 09:50 AM   #29
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II "Coke" help with buying

You may already know this, so at the risk of being repetitive: The red GMT hand travels half as fast as the hour hand.

The GMT watch function is a second hour hand on the same watch face that's geared to rotate once every 24 hours — or exactly half as fast as the other hour hand. The red GMT hour hand points to a second time scale that reads to 24 instead of 12, located on the outermost (the rotating) portion of the watch dial.

Congratulations on your purchase! We look forward to seeing pictures.

Rocky Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 10:24 AM   #30
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
I’ve got the Pepsi, Coke & Rootbeer. Enjoy them all.
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote