The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Power reserve

I recently bought my first watch, a Lady Datejust 28. My understanding is that the power reserve for the 2236 movement is 55 hours. But if I don't wear it over the weekend, by Monday it isn't keeping time. It will say Saturday's date. I even picked it up this past Sat morning to move it. And this morning, it has Sunday's date. It seems to suggest that it is only keeping one day's power reserve.

Is it atypical to be so much lower than the listed power reserve?
Nycprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:24 PM   #2
ImSorryBut...
Banned

Time for service
ImSorryBut... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Are you fully winding the watch?

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Are you fully winding the watch?
What does that mean? This is my first automatic movement watch. I just reset the time if it stops. Is there something else I have to do?
Old 6 May 2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSorryBut... View Post
Time for service
Yea I was thinking to bring it in but wanted to sanity check first that this isn’t normal
Old 6 May 2019, 10:49 PM   #6
extra260
"TRF" Member

Its possible that your daily activity level isn't sufficient enough to keep the watch fully wound. If this is the case you may need to hand wind every other day to top it off or put it in a winder when you go to bed.
extra260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #7
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra260 View Post
Its possible that your daily activity level isn't sufficient enough to keep the watch fully wound. If this is the case you may need to hand wind every other day to top it off or put it in a winder when you go to bed.
But it’s ok when I wear it during the week. I haven’t experienced it so far other than when I don’t wear it on the weekend. If that were so, wouldn’t it not keep time during the week as well?
Old 6 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #8
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycprincess View Post
What does that mean? This is my first automatic movement watch. I just reset the time if it stops. Is there something else I have to do?

Unscrew the crown and wind it 40 or 50 times. Then set the time. I believe you can read the full instructions on the Rolex website

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:53 PM   #9
extra260
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But it’s ok when I wear it during the week. I haven’t experienced it so far other than when I don’t wear it on the weekend. If that were so, wouldn’t it not keep time during the week as well?
If you are wearing it every day during the week then you would never know if it is fully wound or not. You would only be relying on the power reserve to get you thru the night.
extra260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Give that crown about 30 turns or so and wear everyday.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 11:15 PM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I’ve never found any of my Rolex to hold the advertised reserve. I have no problem while wearing them, they just don’t like to be set down for much more than a day.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 11:45 PM   #12
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

A small tip for the manual winding of your watch. Before attempting to manually wind it, get to know the three positions of the crown. First, unscrew the crown. The innermost 'unscrewed' position is for manual winding. Gently pull out the crown to the 2nd position. This is for changing the date. Gently pull out the crown to the 3rd position. This is for adjusting the minute hand, i.e. setting the time. My advice is that sometimes when you unscrew & pull out the crown to the 1st position, you're often *not* fully 'in' the 1st position for manual winding. It helps to do one of two things here. With the crown unscrewed and in the 1st position, gently wind the crown backwards (counterclockwise) a half a turn and you will feel it engage into the manual winding position. The other option is to simply pull out the crown to either the 2nd or 3rd position and then gently push it back to the 1st position. This also assists in getting the crown fully engaged and into the manual winding position. (if you are not fully engaged in the winding position, you will notice absolutely no winding resistance, and you're not actually winding the watch). This all sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. If you practice it a few times, it will become 'second nature'. As others have stated, even with the 55 hr power reserve, the reserve will eventually be used up and the watch will stop without occasional manual winding and/or lots of daily wearing with physical movement and activity.

Enjoy your watch. There's nothing wrong with it.

Kind regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 11:56 PM   #13
af_schulten
"TRF" Member

Watch: '62 Constellation
I manually wind my BLNR 40-45 turns every Monday to keep the internals in good working order...cannot remember where I read that to be a good idea, but sounded logical and shouldn't come close to hurting the watch. I'm guessing that if you did this on Friday when you took it off for the weekend that you should find the watch fully functioning on Monday.

Maybe a wild guess, but saying you take it off Friday at 5pm (after work-ish)...
Fri 1700hrs to Sat 1700hrs = 24hrs
Sat 1700hrs to Sun 1700hrs = 48hrs
Sun 1700hrs to Mon 0500hrs = 60hrs

Makes sense to me that if you take off your watch sometime shortly after work or whatever on Friday, without giving a full wind at that time, that it would have stopped by Monday or sometime on Sunday.

Most Bittersweet Breakup: ROLEX GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR
af_schulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 12:14 AM   #14
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Unscrew the crown and wind it 40 or 50 times. Then set the time. I believe you can read the full instructions on the Rolex website
Thank you
Old 7 May 2019, 12:15 AM   #15
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
A small tip for the manual winding of your watch. Before attempting to manually wind it, get to know the three positions of the crown. First, unscrew the crown. The innermost 'unscrewed' position is for manual winding. Gently pull out the crown to the 2nd position. This is for changing the date. Gently pull out the crown to the 3rd position. This is for adjusting the minute hand, i.e. setting the time. My advice is that sometimes when you unscrew & pull out the crown to the 1st position, you're often *not* fully 'in' the 1st position for manual winding. It helps to do one of two things here. With the crown unscrewed and in the 1st position, gently wind the crown backwards (counterclockwise) a half a turn and you will feel it engage into the manual winding position. The other option is to simply pull out the crown to either the 2nd or 3rd position and then gently push it back to the 1st position. This also assists in getting the crown fully engaged and into the manual winding position. (if you are not fully engaged in the winding position, you will notice absolutely no winding resistance, and you're not actually winding the watch). This all sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. If you practice it a few times, it will become 'second nature'. As others have stated, even with the 55 hr power reserve, the reserve will eventually be used up and the watch will stop without occasional manual winding and/or lots of daily wearing with physical movement and activity.

Enjoy your watch. There's nothing wrong with it.

Kind regards, -Rick.
Haha I will reread this properly when I can sit down with it. Thank you for sharing.
Old 7 May 2019, 12:16 AM   #16
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_schulten View Post
I manually wind my BLNR 40-45 turns every Monday to keep the internals in good working order...cannot remember where I read that to be a good idea, but sounded logical and shouldn't come close to hurting the watch. I'm guessing that if you did this on Friday when you took it off for the weekend that you should find the watch fully functioning on Monday.

Maybe a wild guess, but saying you take it off Friday at 5pm (after work-ish)...
Fri 1700hrs to Sat 1700hrs = 24hrs
Sat 1700hrs to Sun 1700hrs = 48hrs
Sun 1700hrs to Mon 0500hrs = 60hrs

Makes sense to me that if you take off your watch sometime shortly after work or whatever on Friday, without giving a full wind at that time, that it would have stopped by Monday or sometime on Sunday.
If I take it off on Friday at like 6pm tho, I find the date set to Saturday when I pick it up on Monday morning. Wouldn’t that suggest only a day?
Old 7 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #17
timvbs
"TRF" Member

Generally most people are not active enough during the day for the watch to be fully wound via your body's movement alone. As others have suggested I would manually wind the watch after you take it off on Friday and see how it goes.
timvbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #18
Nycprincess
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! I’ll try to find a YouTube video or something to figure out how to manually wind it.
Old 7 May 2019, 12:23 AM   #19
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I’ll try to find a YouTube video or something to figure out how to manually wind it.
It doesn't take a video. You know when you unscrew the crown to set the time? That's how you wind the watch. Instead of pulling the crown out to the time-setting position, just leave it where it is when you unscrew it, and turn it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I recently bought my first watch, a Lady Datejust 28. My understanding is that the power reserve for the 2236 movement is 55 hours. But if I don't wear it over the weekend, by Monday it isn't keeping time. It will say Saturday's date. I even picked it up this past Sat morning to move it. And this morning, it has Sunday's date. It seems to suggest that it is only keeping one day's power reserve.

Its approximately 55 hours but that would be on a full manual wind thats 40-50 full crown turns clockwise only.After full manual wind movement should run between 48-55 hours give or take a hour or so off wrist.And just because you are wearing the watch dont mean your winding the movement its wrist movement thats winds the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 02:11 AM   #21
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Padi56 you are correct, I found that after doing a full wind of my DJII I would wear it for several days at the office and on late at the end of the 2 day and early into the third that the time would not be correct so I did some unofficial testing and at the end of the day I would give the crown 5-10 turns and all started working out so now I give the crown a good 40 turns every week and it’s keeping pretty good time.

I kinda figure sitting at a desk does not keep the watch wound enough so I’m trying to figure out a work around but for now a good 40+ turns at the beginning of the week seems to be working
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 24 May 2019, 07:18 AM   #22
RtTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270MkII; 114060
For me this is a very interesting thread with some insightful responses. Recently I have been rotating my Explorer and on several occasions I noticed that the Explorer had stopped when I had not worn it for less than 30 hours.

I was going to write a post but first I did a little search and discovered this thread. My thanks to NYCPrincess for posting her inquiry.
RtTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:03 AM   #23
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I’ve never found any of my Rolex to hold the advertised reserve. I have no problem while wearing them, they just don’t like to be set down for much more than a day.
I fully wound my DJII 3136 two days ago and it stopped this a.m at 06:30 so that’s 47 hrs and I believe it’s rated for 48 but it’s only an hour off.
Old 24 May 2019, 08:48 AM   #24
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
If I take it off on Friday at like 6pm tho, I find the date set to Saturday when I pick it up on Monday morning. Wouldn’t that suggest only a day?
This is not an indication of the power reserve, this is an indication of how much power that you are putting into it with your activity. It is almost never the actual power reserve capability of the movement.

As mentioned, you would need to fully wind the watch, then walk away until it stops to determine "power reserve" capacity.
Old 24 May 2019, 09:30 AM   #25
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is not an indication of the power reserve, this is an indication of how much power that you are putting into it with your activity. It is almost never the actual power reserve capability of the movement.

As mentioned, you would need to fully wind the watch, then walk away until it stops to determine "power reserve" capacity.
Very sound advice sir...this is what I did and it came very close to the advertised reserve
Old 24 May 2019, 10:23 AM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

55 hours power reserve seems rather excessive but I haven't checked the specs for that movement

Anyway if it is indeed 55 hours, you need to be less sedentary or give it a manual wind to bring the power in the Mainspring up to full capacity before you set the watch aside.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:38 AM   #27
Jaff03
Banned

Wind fully or time for services.
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote