The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 08:51 AM   #181
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your time, knowledge, and dedication to this forum from a relative noob.

I guess that as the market and value of the goods discussed change, so does the forum and talk orientation. I certainly do hope you feel better.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:56 AM   #182
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Similar to the sentiments shared by others, I didn't always appreciate the "cut-through-the-bullshit" style of your replies. But with time I realized your posts were always coming from a good place and eventually I found myself awaiting your contribution to those threads (and lately there have been many) that desperately needed your voice of reason. Hopefully another mod can carry the torch

All the best to you Padi, health always comes first. Take care
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:11 AM   #183
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Sorry to hear you are having serious health problems. Hope you will recover soon.

Really hope to keep seeing you around here on the forum. So many here know more than me, I'm pretty new to all this, but I pretty soon noticed your comments are always interesting and stand out from the rest. So often I was reading some topic and thought: this guy knows what he is talking about.
And I rembered it was the same person because of that picture of that Icom pro3 device (btw, I still wonder what that is exactly?).

Just wanted to let you know, I appreciate your contribution to this forum, I learned a lot from you, would be a loss to see you go away.

Again, really hope you will recover and get your health back.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:19 AM   #184
oloughlin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP
All the best mate
oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:26 AM   #185
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Peter,

In my very short time here I have and will continue to have great respect on what you bring to this Forum, for me and I only currently own one Rolex you have been paramount in helping me understand the workings of a quality automatic time piece so please reconsider your decision to stay as your contributions will be greatly missed.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:44 AM   #186
Jaff03
Banned

Your observations are perfect, would love you still stick around for better observations and advice as an experience member.
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:46 AM   #187
LightOnAHill
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD lchdp
It’s been a pleasure to share this forum with you. I too the last few years found the culture here had changed, which changes the discussion, tone, and feel. I cut back quite a bit in my reading and posting, now more a lurker than a poster. My favorite are good photos and the personalities of people helping others, so I come back every now and then and can still find either pretty quickly. This makes ignoring and wading through the rest worth it.

If you do step back, do lurk. We have to stick together in the shadows, my friend. See you soon, but not too soon.
LightOnAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:54 AM   #188
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

All the best on your health and future endeavors.

Although I’m relatively new here, you certainly came across as one of the most knowledgeable and honest people on this forum. You’ll be missed.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:54 AM   #189
2024 Pledge Member

All the best, Peter. Hang in there. Your time isn't up yet. Spend it well.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:27 AM   #190
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Do what’s best for you. That’s all that counts. All I can say is that when I’m scrolling through a thread with boring and sometimes useless replies I am immediately drawn to the posts from the guy with the green frog avatar. His posts are almost universally insightful and full of knowledge. I with you all the best and hope you won’t drop off the forum completely.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:31 AM   #191
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Peter, I couldn't agree with your frustration more. I too have been less active lately simply because the forum seems inundated more than ever with those.....eh.....superficial posts you refer to (is it safe?, nicknames, etc). That said, what keeps me here is the great information I get from people like you. Do I have to kiss a lot of frogs (i.e. worthless posts) to get to the gems....but once found, it's totally worth it.

I feel for your health issues and understand if you feel it's just time to go. But your great contributions will be sorely missed. And this forum will be worse without you.

Good luck with your decision.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Best of health and best wishes to you, Peter. Thank you for everything you've brought to this forum throughout the years.

/Joe
Old 24 May 2019, 10:31 AM   #192
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I wrote similar opinions on another Rolex forum and got a lifetime ban. One of my observations, like your’s, is the adolescent comments made. My interest in Rolex is pretty much gone. Hell it’s just a watch. I have two Timex that do the same thing, they tell me the time, everything else is superfluous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:35 AM   #193
Dyim
"TRF" Member

We need you to remind people 116500 is essentially a new bezel on a 116520. Not a brand new watch.

And no Rolex is rare.

Do whatever you think is best for yourself.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:00 AM   #194
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Thank you for tirelessly sharing your knowledge and wisdom clearly and directly with us. Best wishes to you whatever you decide.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:15 AM   #195
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everything sir!

Best wishes and I truly hope your health gets better.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:21 AM   #196
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I also miss the old days Peter, the Rolex crowd these days is just not something I want to be associated with. I still log in from time to time just to hopefully read something that will make me smile like the forum always did 10-15 years ago.

Peter, you have always been a wealth of knowledge, and someone I could always count on to call out some of the ridiculous topics people post about. Take care of yourself buddy, hope to see you around from time to time.
Peter, Sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish all the best. You will be missed.

I share Trevor's sentiments about the "old days" compared to the Forum of today. Its quality has been dramatically diluted with so many newer members that it seems more like the "facebook" of Rolex watches compared to the Forum I once new and enjoyed. Those guys and the times are long gone.

Tim
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:25 AM   #197
Feelix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I have been thinking quite seriously in hanging my hat up on forum,not in the best of health and on high doses of morphine now to cut down my everyday pain.Afraid today Rolex knowledge takes second place on forum.Now most topics it safe, will this go up in value,silly nicknames,if they discontinue this or that, and the rest of the daily flood of ££££$$$ posts. But forum has given me great pleasure over the past 14 odd years,and over the past two to three years kept me focused and taken my mind off my health problems ,and once again many thanks to all those who sent me past and future get well cards.Now over these forum years I have seen a great change in today's Rolex watch owners,today forum is getting more like Facebook with, is it safe, can I wear my Rolex doing this or that.Or things like alignments points,will this or that go up in value what size box,plastic stickers, even bezel protectors, watch running 3 seconds fast should I send it in .Gone now are the days of buying and wearing one of the finest mechanical watches on this planet because its a Rolex.I sometimes wonder why some buy a Rolex perhaps to wear the brand, or again perhaps look at me I am wearing a Rolex.The history of the brand seems to me to be forgotten on forum, as now Rolex watches are seen as little more than alignments or ££££$$$$$ by many.And being a mod just like the rest of the mods and admin have to read most of these threads daily,and sometimes I have a chuckle but many times it bring a tear to this old gits eyes to see what Rolex means today to many of the members on forum.With many of these types of questions they should already know or research before even thinking of buying a Rolex.Afraid as you get to my mature age my brain is like a big store cupboard, I know it is all in there, but sometimes now takes longer to get the right stuff out.And will add just hope I have brought a bit of Rolex knowledge to the forum and some have learnt a bit over the years.And if I have offended any member then I sincerely apologise but I always give a no bullsh#te answer and believe in calling a spade a spade.
God bless. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.
Feelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:26 AM   #198
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Peter,

Thanks so much for all that you've done around here! I've always enjoyed your contributions during my 11 years as a member of TRF. Like you, I also miss how the hobby was back in the day. It's something I think about quite often and it's truly such a shame really.

Albeit very sad to know that this is something you're doing / considering, I completely understand. Your health is top priority and very important to us! If you do end up stepping away as a mod it would be nice to have you check in to share some of this valuable wisdom when you're feeling up to it.

Despite how sad the aforementioned changes are, the fond memories will always remain! Keep fighting, Peter!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:35 AM   #199
Naples09
"TRF" Member

I know most of us don't want you to go, but do what's best for you! I only wish you the best in regards to your health and happiness. It's been a pleasure being a part of the community for many years...and I've enjoyed your posts and other contributors posts! No matter the outcome - it's been great having you here - and hope we have you with us longer!

I've never shared this story - but I will with you at this time. My first Rolex was a TT DJ that I purchased with my grandfathers when I was 23. It was my graduation present to myself for completing my undergrad degree at the local university while working full time since high school.

I'm about to turn 46 - and both of my grandfathers passed many years ago. To this day - whenever I put that watch on - I think of my grandfathers who were with me the day I purchased it. While I have other great memories of spending time with both of them and them teaching me life lessons - wearing my TT DJ Rolex brings me back to that day many many years ago. I still remember everything about that day and being with them. Thankfully, nothing can take that away from me!

Best Regards!

Jim
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:57 AM   #200
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Life is short, do what you feel!

I love your “old school” outlook that consistently gives me a chuckle. I have a nice amount of that in me so I get it. Unfortunately there is much less knowledge on Rolex or details but every so often there is a very technical thread which lets all who participate learn a bunch.

The buyers & flippers will come and go that’s a guarantee. Don’t leave on there accord you leave because your on to the next thing OR you stay and you continue on your course steadfast until the place feels like home again.

Only one person knows the answer to that question though!

God Bless - Good Luck with everything and hope you do what’s best for you.
Old 24 May 2019, 12:08 PM   #201
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Sir - An outpouring of sincere warmth like this could only be a result of many great deeds. You should be proud.

Wishing you all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:31 PM   #202
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Please don’t go. Hope your health improves. I need to hear about the 116500 bezel a few more times
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:59 PM   #203
eme
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust
I’ve mostly been a lurker ever since I joined, but I’ve always appreciated your posts. The history and technical knowledge of the forum is why I joined. I hope your health improves and wish you nothing but the best. Thank you for all of your contributions!

eme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:10 PM   #204
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
First of all wishing you a healthy and speedy recovery, I enjoy your threads in so many ways from history of Rolex to mechanical movements. I do miss those days of funny but educational threads from the forum members. Nowadays I see a lot of show off with I have the best and latest on the front page of the forum. It does get old fast and I try not to open those senseless topics. Please stop by once in a while and continue to be part of this forum.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:17 PM   #205
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I just found a new forum... badger and blade... a shaving forum... much more enjoyable.

No crazy gtg in Vegas with NRD that don’t cover anything.... haha... too soon?

I enjoy your input immensely, your last post about Abercrombie and Fitch was something I never knew and found it enriching!

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:26 PM   #206
RtTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270MkII; 114060
Padi56, I certainly do appreciate your forthright, candid and sincere possible fare thee well post. A man should do what he thinks is best. Family and health are "A" priorities. Everyone and every conflict is different but I can somewhat understand your decision with my own battle against cancer. Now I only joined this forum in January and to tell you the truth I was not much into watches. Although well aware of Rolex, I only developed an interest in Rolex recently when my nine year old Marcello C started having problems. Despite all the Rolex advertising and hype, Rolex does make very good luxury timepieces. So when I started looking for a replacement watch I looked at a good number of watch companies including Rolex. I also discovered the TRF. Obviously there are many fine timepieces out here - some I liked and others not so much. I could have gone with a less expensive brand or a more expensive brand. However, when I discovered the Explorer (tried on both the old 36mm models and the new 39mm model). The 214270 MkII just clicked for me. I am slowly learning about a little about mechanical self-winding watches. And I am hopeful that experienced and wise TRF members will continue to share their knowledge with novices like myself (when a post turns out to be a "frog" rather than kiss it I immediately close it - and never even open one of those help me decide). Carry on.... when an interest/hobby etc stops being enjoyable it is indeed time to move on! Nevertheless, your words of wisdom will be missed. My sincere best wishes to you and my prayers for recovery.

Kind regards, mate
RtTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:35 PM   #207
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Sorry to hear .. life is much too short... most don’t realize before their health is cut short. You’ve always been a voice of reason and no B.S. answers. Thanks for that and God Bless.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:43 PM   #208
kungpow
"TRF" Member

I hope the next phase of life brings you much health and happiness! I’m sorry to hear you’re leaving us, but hope you will stop by the Forums every now and then. Good luck!
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:27 PM   #209
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It would be fun to see or read some of your history of watch collecting if you are up for sharing it?
Old 24 May 2019, 02:30 PM   #210
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Stick to live and stick to watches. It gives you a passioned hobby. Get better and see the day that all this BS about AD waitlists, greys, watch buying strategies, etc. is over.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote