The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 July 2021, 04:39 AM   #1
5512Sub
Banned

Any 6542 experts feel like helping a newbie?

I've come across what appears to be a very good condition, full set 6542 from an estate.

I'm hoping someone could look at the paperwork and tell me if it's complete and I'd also like their input on the originality of the watch.

Apologies if this breaks any forum rules, I'm new here!

Thanks in advance
5512Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 05:47 AM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Detailed pics would help
Old 29 July 2021, 06:18 AM   #3
Paul
"TRF" Member

Icon4 If it helps ..

Hello from sunny New Zealand ..
where it's been raining for a month.

You may have already found this (link below) but if not, it shows a 'full set' that sold by Geoff Isringhausen a few years ago. Apart from the leather strap it's probably a good showing of what makes up a full set for a 6542.

Worth noting too that as was the practice back then, many watches were shipped to the dealers simply as a watch with its time-keeping certificate (without all the extras, sometimes without even a bracelet) . Once in the shop, the dealer added a bracelet, a box, hang tags etc. This meant Rolex could declare the shipments to its dealers as 'spare parts' and not be liable for the customs duties levied on complete watches (a similar practice was very widespread for motor cars). This means a full set Rolex 6542 originally sold in Paris might not be exactly the same as a full set 6542 originally sold in New York (especially seen within boxes and bracelets). That's a good thing really cos it means there's some lattitude among collectors 60 years later with regards to what constitutes a full set for a vintage Rolex watch.

A full set for a 6542 would be very rare and very desirable to collectors.

https://watchcharts.com/listing/2030...l-100-complete
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:02 AM   #4
Paul
"TRF" Member

I've replied to your PM too. Hope the info. helps

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:01 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Paperwork is the last thing to worry about on a watch like this. Please show us some pics.
Old 30 July 2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
No photos???
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 01:25 PM   #7
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
My watchmaker advised me that a couple months back a local Cincinnati lady came into his shop with her late husbands 6542’s …that’s right …2 of them. One he wore daily since he bought them new in ‘59 - the other - put into a safety deposit box and NEVER WORE IT!!!! That’s right…a true NOS 6542 - both full sets - I was lucky enough to have a look at something I’ll likely never see again. Two full set 6542’s - which is damn near impossible to see - let alone one being NOS. My watchmaker ended up keeping the one the man wore and sold the other to a local collector for an obscene amount…point of this was that I got the rare opportunity to see what two full set grail pieces came with back then. It was an amazing yet surreal experience that I’ll never forget. Post pics - I can’t wait to see em !!
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 01:38 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

How on earth does the OP expect help without info/photos?? #CannotCompute

Hey, can you evaluate this car I've got? Thanks.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 01:41 PM   #9
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

people come and go on this site. Just let this thread die. If OP has something new then assess it then. Nothing new.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 07:54 PM   #10
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
My watchmaker advised me that a couple months back a local Cincinnati lady came into his shop with her late husbands 6542’s …that’s right …2 of them. One he wore daily since he bought them new in ‘59 - the other - put into a safety deposit box and NEVER WORE IT!!!! That’s right…a true NOS 6542 - both full sets - I was lucky enough to have a look at something I’ll likely never see again. Two full set 6542’s - which is damn near impossible to see - let alone one being NOS. My watchmaker ended up keeping the one the man wore and sold the other to a local collector for an obscene amount…point of this was that I got the rare opportunity to see what two full set grail pieces came with back then. It was an amazing yet surreal experience that I’ll never forget. Post pics - I can’t wait to see em !!
Sounds wonderful. Would you be able to post pictures of either / both watches and their sets ? A forum full of people would love to see them!

One of mine to add colour to the thread :

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 08:08 PM   #11
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Lovelyyyyyy
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 09:16 PM   #12
newkidonblock4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
Sounds wonderful. Would you be able to post pictures of either / both watches and their sets ? A forum full of people would love to see them!

One of mine to add colour to the thread :

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
newkidonblock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #13
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Now we're talking!
Thank you Haywood!
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:18 AM   #14
1watch
"TRF" Member

I’ve enjoyed seeing Haywood’s pics. Other than that, seems ridiculous to believe a “newbie” would start with a piece like this...and not even post pics of what is likely a fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:44 AM   #15
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Holy shit Haywood! That is something!
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:27 PM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Sweeeeet baby jesus.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:38 AM   #17
5512Sub
Banned

Apologies for not responding sooner, things got delayed and I didn't get better pictures until today.

I can't post links yet,

I'll have higher resolution pictures in the next day or so.

And I didn't post pictures first as I thought I'd end up speak to just one or two people and I didn't have good photos.

Thank you in advance for any input. I've received mixed opinions on the bezel insert and I'm really struggling to figure this out for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210804_141932_628.jpg (76.5 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg t5Pfzwr~2.jpg (182.3 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 38QVgdL~2.jpg (206.1 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210804_141932_670~2.jpg (109.4 KB, 354 views)
Old 5 August 2021, 12:01 PM   #18
5512Sub
Banned

My apologies! I'm a newbie to Radium Rolex and especially vintage GMT's! I have a '67 5512 as my oldest piece! I've been focused on modern stuff more and only going back to matte dial subs!

I greatly underestimated the activity level here, I thought I'd have time for the pictures to come through but they got delayed.

I just posted the best pictures I have, I'm waiting on more as I haven't purchased this watch.

Apologies for being vague to begin with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I’ve enjoyed seeing Haywood’s pics. Other than that, seems ridiculous to believe a “newbie” would start with a piece like this...and not even post pics of what is likely a fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2021, 04:09 PM   #19
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
My god the case looks brand new. It’s basically NOS…..
Juhuatai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 05:28 AM   #20
77T

As we all now know, the OP started another thread on the same topic here on TRF. Was told by many that his pictures showed many issues. Then became belligerent towards some, cursed them out and was subsequently banned - and that thread was locked.

He also went to VRF, pled the same case, was essentially told the same things. Apologized for his behavior here. Then began covering tracks by deleting his photos there (couldn’t do that here since he’d been banned by then). This is classic scammer/fakir behavior.

Now is banned on VRF. VRF thread now has those photos restored (along with photos from the earlier vintage Sub effort).

Why this lengthy update here?

The RWI forum has a couple of guys showing 6542’s replicas from different sources - at least one having duped the same IV•55 caseback the OP’s watch carried.

Although it has some clues of its fakir’s shortcomings, it is worth remembering this thread and the other one because I expect the OP will be back in a new guise.

With the values rising in vintage I expect more new entrants in the race to scam unwary buyers with specious stories and faked assemblages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 12:14 PM   #21
Greglaw
Banned

Yes the scammer started on the watchpurist site I called him out. Thread was locked and he disappeared. Temporarily I am guessing.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 01:24 PM   #22
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

What’s the link to that? The more information that we have on the database the better
Old 9 August 2021, 04:14 PM   #23
CTech
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for the update about 5512Sub's status on vrf and his method of operation here and on that forum.

I was puzzled by the way he was acting and, for a time, couldn't understand what was going on, even though it was clear from a relatively early stage that we were looking at either a heavily modified watch or an outright replica, tribute or fake, depending on how kind you wish to be.

It still isn't entirely clear to me what 5512Sub was hoping to achieve and how he was going to achieve it, but I think it starts with him appearing to be an innocent, naive potential purchaser, transforms into him being an intermediary for somebody else's purchase and would end with him appearing to be the victim or one of the victims of somebody else's duplicity.

There are several possibilities, but I think the first post (this one) was a teaser and 5512Sub was hoping that a member of the forum would make an attractive offer for a replica 6542 GMT-Master already in his possession or one easily obtained.

The cover story about the couple who inherited it who didn't know what it was, the grandfather, the original purchase in Korea, etc. were all to establish the fact that 5512Sub was not the seller but was an innocent abroad who just happened to have a stroke of luck and make contact with somebody who had a watch that might give an opportunity for a quick profit.

There may have been some initial interest shown by one or two forum members as there is some mention of PMs, but this clearly didn't go far so then the dripping of selected pieces of information started in a new thread (the one that is now closed). New photographs appeared and there was talk of verification from 3 experts, new evidence from a will, mentions in 1980s documents, etc. These all served to try and preserve an illusion of authenticity while the collective thoughts on this forum and others were clear that this was a seriously suspect watch.

I've no proof of any of this, and to some extent these are just guesses, but my thoughts are that if things had gone slightly differently 5512Sub would at some point have claimed to be able to buy the watch and, as a result of our misgivings about the originality of the bezel insert (or dial/hands/bezel), had negotiated the price down to some attractive, but still believable figure, for example $68,000.

The important part then would then be that he couldn't buy it immediately because of some excuse such as he needed to sell some other possessions to raise the cash, he was being deployed overseas, the vendors were out of town for the next two weeks or something similar.

After the adulation and congratulations had died down, a few days later he would then claim to be concerned about the difficulty and/or cost of replacing whatever suspect parts were required and ask for suggestions about how to deal with this, hoping or expecting that a forum member would offer to buy it (with 5512Sub acting as an agent).

This part of the scam would then involve 5512Sub agreeing to buy it on behalf of the forum member with just the addition of a small finder's fee or compensation for traveling expenses, Paypal fees or some other nonsense so the total cost would now be $70,000.

After some sort of non-reversible transfer of funds and the forum member has received the replica watch the scenario could go one of several ways.

The most likely is that as soon as the purchaser paid for the watch 5512Sub would delete all previous history and contact information so as to be untraceable, and 5512Sub would have made $70,000 for a virtually worthless watch.

If this was not the case and 5512Sub was still accessible and if the purchaser complained about being sold a replica watch he (5512Sub) could initially apologize saying he had no idea of this, was trying to do someone a favor and was a complete novice to vintage watches, particularly the Rolex 6542, as evidenced by these threads where he takes great pains to tell us how inexperienced he is in these matters.

After the first complaints increase in severity, 5512Sub could then say he is as much of a victim of this as anyone, but because he feels bad about the situation he will refund the finders fee of $2000 (in the example), so 5512Sub pockets $68,000.

The worst case for 5512Sub could be that the complaints do not subside, threats of legal action and the involvement of law enforcement for Internet fraud are made and so an agreement is made that 5512Sub will share the loss, arguing that this is a fair resolution as he is as much of a victim as the final purchaser. In this scenario 5512Sub refunds the finders fee and half of his purported agreed purchase price, so he refunds $36,000 and pockets $34,000.

If any of this could be true and it is feasible that any forum member could be deceived in this way, 5512Sub would then have a good model for setting up a new profile on another forum to sell another replica of a sought after watch, such as the 6265 Daytona mentioned in the other thread, possibly mentioned as another teaser hoping someone will bite at that particular bait.

As stated above, I can't prove that this is what was going on, but it fits most of the initial points 5512Sub made and points to a very sophisticated scam.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 05:30 PM   #24
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
Thanks to all for the update about 5512Sub's status on vrf and his method of operation here and on that forum.

I was puzzled by the way he was acting and, for a time, couldn't understand what was going on, even though it was clear from a relatively early stage that we were looking at either a heavily modified watch or an outright replica, tribute or fake, depending on how kind you wish to be.

It still isn't entirely clear to me what 5512Sub was hoping to achieve and how he was going to achieve it, but I think it starts with him appearing to be an innocent, naive potential purchaser, transforms into him being an intermediary for somebody else's purchase and would end with him appearing to be the victim or one of the victims of somebody else's duplicity.

There are several possibilities, but I think the first post (this one) was a teaser and 5512Sub was hoping that a member of the forum would make an attractive offer for a replica 6542 GMT-Master already in his possession or one easily obtained.

The cover story about the couple who inherited it who didn't know what it was, the grandfather, the original purchase in Korea, etc. were all to establish the fact that 5512Sub was not the seller but was an innocent abroad who just happened to have a stroke of luck and make contact with somebody who had a watch that might give an opportunity for a quick profit.

There may have been some initial interest shown by one or two forum members as there is some mention of PMs, but this clearly didn't go far so then the dripping of selected pieces of information started in a new thread (the one that is now closed). New photographs appeared and there was talk of verification from 3 experts, new evidence from a will, mentions in 1980s documents, etc. These all served to try and preserve an illusion of authenticity while the collective thoughts on this forum and others were clear that this was a seriously suspect watch.

I've no proof of any of this, and to some extent these are just guesses, but my thoughts are that if things had gone slightly differently 5512Sub would at some point have claimed to be able to buy the watch and, as a result of our misgivings about the originality of the bezel insert (or dial/hands/bezel), had negotiated the price down to some attractive, but still believable figure, for example $68,000.

The important part then would then be that he couldn't buy it immediately because of some excuse such as he needed to sell some other possessions to raise the cash, he was being deployed overseas, the vendors were out of town for the next two weeks or something similar.

After the adulation and congratulations had died down, a few days later he would then claim to be concerned about the difficulty and/or cost of replacing whatever suspect parts were required and ask for suggestions about how to deal with this, hoping or expecting that a forum member would offer to buy it (with 5512Sub acting as an agent).

This part of the scam would then involve 5512Sub agreeing to buy it on behalf of the forum member with just the addition of a small finder's fee or compensation for traveling expenses, Paypal fees or some other nonsense so the total cost would now be $70,000.

After some sort of non-reversible transfer of funds and the forum member has received the replica watch the scenario could go one of several ways.

The most likely is that as soon as the purchaser paid for the watch 5512Sub would delete all previous history and contact information so as to be untraceable, and 5512Sub would have made $70,000 for a virtually worthless watch.

If this was not the case and 5512Sub was still accessible and if the purchaser complained about being sold a replica watch he (5512Sub) could initially apologize saying he had no idea of this, was trying to do someone a favor and was a complete novice to vintage watches, particularly the Rolex 6542, as evidenced by these threads where he takes great pains to tell us how inexperienced he is in these matters.

After the first complaints increase in severity, 5512Sub could then say he is as much of a victim of this as anyone, but because he feels bad about the situation he will refund the finders fee of $2000 (in the example), so 5512Sub pockets $68,000.

The worst case for 5512Sub could be that the complaints do not subside, threats of legal action and the involvement of law enforcement for Internet fraud are made and so an agreement is made that 5512Sub will share the loss, arguing that this is a fair resolution as he is as much of a victim as the final purchaser. In this scenario 5512Sub refunds the finders fee and half of his purported agreed purchase price, so he refunds $36,000 and pockets $34,000.

If any of this could be true and it is feasible that any forum member could be deceived in this way, 5512Sub would then have a good model for setting up a new profile on another forum to sell another replica of a sought after watch, such as the 6265 Daytona mentioned in the other thread, possibly mentioned as another teaser hoping someone will bite at that particular bait.

As stated above, I can't prove that this is what was going on, but it fits most of the initial points 5512Sub made and points to a very sophisticated scam.
This was probably an unnecessary hypothesis I must say but you could write a good whodunnit mystery novel?

Bottom line is, we have the images and the background to it so hopefully it doesnt go into the genuine vintage rolex economy.
Old 9 August 2021, 07:40 PM   #25
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Definitely a scammer at work IMO….. and yes it will soon be trading in the Rolex world…. He will trick someone…
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 07:52 PM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I posted it in the other topic as well, but WHY the white second hand if these watches are meant to trick people. Why make it (too) obvious.

I'm amazed by the work scammers put into these watches but obviously it's worth it with the current prices of vintage. Sad state of affairs.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 07:59 PM   #27
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I posted it in the other topic as well, but WHY the white second hand if these watches are meant to trick people. Why make it (too) obvious.
Because some had a white seconds hand originally? :)
Old 9 August 2021, 09:14 PM   #28
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Because some had a white seconds hand originally? :)
Obviously, but everything looks old but the hand doesn't (besides the lume).
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:30 PM   #29
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

I'm amazed by the work scammers put into these watches but obviously it's worth it with the current prices of vintage. Sad state of affairs.
perhaps the white hand was the distractor? Focus on that and the other issues become secondary.
Old 9 August 2021, 11:25 PM   #30
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I find Ctech theory very interesting, including the finder fee return, this sounds familiar with other scam practice.
but I would understand some scammer give it a try with a $10k/20k watch, but a 80K? who would fall for that kind of money after just reading the experts "name dropping" that he used in those tread?
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote