The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2020, 08:38 PM   #1
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

New SBDX041, SPB183 and SLA043

Too many limited editions? Is Seiko now doing what Omega is doing with LE Speedmasters?

How are SLA017 and SLA037 owners feeling about the SLA043 or SBDX041?

I have to admit I like the look of the SPB183.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFym72FHHWw/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFyW_DYnfPr/?hl=en
Old 1 October 2020, 09:08 PM   #2
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the SLA017 and the SLA037 and I like the new releases. I will probably buy them and add to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200925_105051 (002).jpg (280.7 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg 20200715_140508 (002).jpg (168.6 KB, 884 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 12:06 AM   #3
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K

SLA043 looks good, 8L35 movement, no hi-beat, LE of 1700.

Kind of baffling for it, the 037, and SPB149 to be on the market simultaneously, but nice-looking watches all.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 01:58 AM   #4
Pongster
"TRF" Member

So the only diference between 37 and 43 is the beat?

Am glad my seiko journey is done.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 02:20 AM   #5
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I really don't understand this. People loved the 017, stop releasing new "limited edition" versions of it and just make it a regular production model. You can then release it in a few different color variants.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 02:56 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:22 AM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Seiko is trying to steal my Rolex money :)

oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post

That's a stunner!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:48 AM   #9
NYFatboy99
Banned

Watch: Daydate
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post

Lol...is it worth it?
NYFatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:55 AM   #10
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
So the only diference between 37 and 43 is the beat?

Am glad my seiko journey is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I really don't understand this. People loved the 017, stop releasing new "limited edition" versions of it and just make it a regular production model. You can then release it in a few different color variants.

If I’m following Seiko’s frenetic issuance of new watches and understanding the previous editions correctly, the SLA017 was 316L and 8L35 (so, not hi-beat); the SLA037 is ever-brilliant steel AND hi-beat, and the new SLA043 somewhat splits the difference, and is ever-brilliant steel with an 8L35.

Still stand on the side of wondering how all of the new releases make sense, coupled with previous releases, but I’m not frothed up about it or anything. It just seems weird to keep issuing similar LE’s. I def concur it would be nice to have a high end but regular production model tho.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:48 AM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Is there a difference between 316L and ever brilliant steel? Or just naming.

Like i understand 916L and oystersteel of rolex is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2020, 10:16 AM   #12
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
If I’m following Seiko’s frenetic issuance of new watches and understanding the previous editions correctly, the SLA017 was 316L and 8L35 (so, not hi-beat); the SLA037 is ever-brilliant steel AND hi-beat, and the new SLA043 somewhat splits the difference, and is ever-brilliant steel with an 8L35.

Still stand on the side of wondering how all of the new releases make sense, coupled with previous releases, but I’m not frothed up about it or anything. It just seems weird to keep issuing similar LE’s. I def concur it would be nice to have a high end but regular production model tho.
I suspect that Seiko will probably end up releasing a regular production of the 62MAS (SLA017 / 037 / 043) eventually anyway! If resale value is important for those who bought the 017, 037 or 043, then I think they have a legitimate bone to pick with Seiko.

On its face, there doesn't appear to be a long term strategy here.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 10:47 AM   #13
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From what I’ve read, ever-brilliant looks more like white gold than normal steel and it’s more corrosion and pitting resistant.

I’m not an expert by any stretch, but based on what I have read on various sites, the relationship between ever-brilliant and 916L is akin to the 916L/oystersteel one.
Old 2 October 2020, 10:54 AM   #14
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
I suspect that Seiko will probably end up releasing a regular production of the 62MAS (SLA017 / 037 / 043) eventually anyway! If resale value is important for those who bought the 017, 037 or 043, then I think they have a legitimate bone to pick with Seiko.

On its face, there doesn't appear to be a long term strategy here.

Well, I don’t know whether Seiko cares about the secondary market and I buy watches to wear and enjoy.

While potential residual resale value isn’t the top factor for me, it’s not something that I completely ignore. It’s not NOT a factor, if that makes sense.

The 043 issuance is definitely a confusing development. I just got the 037, which I really like, but had I the two in front of me, with one ~$2k cheaper than the other...it might make the choice tougher.

I guess it would simply come down to a combo of price and looks at that point (which I guess it always does, at the end of the day), since I’m not using the 037 for diving, where the hi-beat would help with shock resistance or whatever.

The light blue second hand on the 043 is killer, maybe there’s room for both...gotta see it first!
Old 2 October 2020, 01:12 PM   #15
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFatboy99 View Post
Lol...is it worth it?
I think I'll go for this one. Hope it is
Old 2 October 2020, 02:30 PM   #16
salmoneffect
Banned

I too just recently picked up an 037 and I have to say that this is not exactly sitting well with me. I missed the 017 and took a leap of faith with the 037 as my first lux-level Seiko. I won't try to litigate the "is it worth it" case one way or another (I voted 'yes' with my wallet) but we can all agree that the ask for the 037 was ambitious for a non-G.S. offering. Part of the reason I was able to wrap my head around the price was the fact that it looked like the quality was there, it was limited, and it's sufficiently different from the 017 and SPB149. I could even see owning all three.

Now, however, I feel like there's a lot of blur in the line-up and I don't know if I'd make the same choice again. (or if I'd buy Seiko again, period)

I hate to make a Rolex comparison but I have always felt protected by the brand and have never felt uneasy about a purchase, even in the pre-hype days.

To be clear, this is not solely a resale issue. Like Bill, I buy my watches to wear. But as he so eloquently put it regarding resale value, "It’s not NOT a factor."

So yeah, I like my SLA037 but I hate having the gnawing feeling in my stomach that maybe I should sell it and look at add a SLA043 instead. Or just walk away. And here's the most important part for me - regardless of the answer, it's a shame that I am even wrestling with that question.

Thanks for letting me rant. I hope everyone is able to land the right watch for them out of Seiko's ever-growing lineup. There's still a lot to like and it seems there's more to come.
salmoneffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 05:00 PM   #17
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I would go for the SLA043 (even if i already have a 017 and 037) as well as the blue Willard (even if i have the 033) had it not been for the fact that my Seiko journey has ended. Thank God. :)

Old 2 October 2020, 08:26 PM   #18
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Some interesting points and I will say some of the concerns are legitimate. I do think too many variations of the same watch at higher prices is not a good thing. So many watches and so many of them I would buy as a stand alone purchase if the others did not exist. It makes it difficult to balance a collection. I have thought about just getting back to the Seiko roots and buying and keeping the sub $1500 models. SPB143, SPB145, SPB147, SPB149 and the SPB151, SPB153. I could have all of them for the cost of the SLA037 and that is the quandary. More is better? Sometimes yes. It will be interesting to think this one through.

Last edited by 1William; 2 October 2020 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 3 October 2020, 01:13 AM   #19
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

I’ve had what sounds a similar thought process to William’s - perhaps ditch the SLA models, or at least, cease buying any more of them, and buy all the SPBx models that suit me.

My thinking is I could wear them, enjoy them, and to the extent I stop doing either/both, to eBay they go, and recoup whatever, or let them sit around and gather dust, since the love might be rekindled at some point. Either way, the risk is negligible. But I don’t like to own tons of them I don’t wear simultaneously.

A hiccup in such a plan for me is that the SLA models I’ve picked up recently are very satisfying - the SLA033 and SLA039 in particular - and I am going to wear and enjoy them til the wheels come off (or at least, right now I intend to do so).

The SLA037 is a tough one for me. I just got it last week - awesome timing, of course - but I’ve owned the SPB149 for a few months and have enjoyed it.

The question I’ve got heartburn over is that in spite of the fact 037 is objectively a “better” watch in numerous respects, I don’t know that I like it $5k more than I like 149. Undecided, but answering that question’s more complex now that there’s a model in the middle.

In any case, pics from Seiko, but I put the recent reissues together for comparison purposes.

Old 3 October 2020, 10:35 AM   #20
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I may make some people mad but i dont care.

These seiko prices are getting absurd and the LE strategy is mind boggling.

I am not a fan of a 4,500 dollar seiko that is a non grand seiko.

Maybe I am missing something but just because something is limited doesnt mean the price should be higher. Just my 2 cents.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:39 AM   #21
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve had what sounds a similar thought process to William’s - perhaps ditch the SLA models, or at least, cease buying any more of them, and buy all the SPBx models that suit me.

My thinking is I could wear them, enjoy them, and to the extent I stop doing either/both, to eBay they go, and recoup whatever, or let them sit around and gather dust, since the love might be rekindled at some point. Either way, the risk is negligible. But I don’t like to own tons of them I don’t wear simultaneously.

A hiccup in such a plan for me is that the SLA models I’ve picked up recently are very satisfying - the SLA033 and SLA039 in particular - and I am going to wear and enjoy them til the wheels come off (or at least, right now I intend to do so).

The SLA037 is a tough one for me. I just got it last week - awesome timing, of course - but I’ve owned the SPB149 for a few months and have enjoyed it.

The question I’ve got heartburn over is that in spite of the fact 037 is objectively a “better” watch in numerous respects, I don’t know that I like it $5k more than I like 149. Undecided, but answering that question’s more complex now that there’s a model in the middle.

In any case, pics from Seiko, but I put the recent reissues together for comparison purposes.

The SPB looks different. The three SLAs do look too similar.

Anyway, i solved what would have been this dilemma of mine by ending my Seiko journey. Because i didnt end the journey sooner i ended up getting the 037 (still no regrets). Now, am not aspiring for the 043 (even if that blue second hand is nice touch).
Old 3 October 2020, 12:22 PM   #22
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I recently sold my 017...great watch and I would gladly own one again which seeing all these very similar releases I might be able to buy back in for a much lower price when they bring down the values

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:52 PM   #23
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

It's malibu Stacy with a new hat. Makes me not regret passing on the 017
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 07:38 PM   #24
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My mistake. Oystersteel is 904L.
Old 4 October 2020, 03:44 AM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I tried out the SLA017 and re-issued captain Millard many times and had a time forking out $4k for a new Seiko diver watch but look around I see a basic Rolex Sub is no longer available for most and people are willing to pay $18,000 for it, Omega increases its price and selling Speedmaster for big bucks. I think these Seiko LE divers are selling well enough so Seiko keeps introducing one right after another.
Old 4 October 2020, 10:47 AM   #26
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My mistake. Oystersteel is 904L.

Yep, I made the same mistake above as well. My bad. Glad this has been clarified for thread readers!

Quote:
The SPB looks different. The three SLAs do look too similar.

Anyway, i solved what would have been this dilemma of mine by ending my Seiko journey. Because i didnt end the journey sooner i ended up getting the 037 (still no regrets). Now, am not aspiring for the 043 (even if that blue second hand is nice touch).

To the extent you’re saying you’re done with Seiko, I’m kind of at the other end, just beginning to go down the rabbit hole.

I’ve enjoyed it so far, but man, their overarching strategy is confusing to me, and I’m starting to get some of the lingo down. There’s a lot to learn and I’ve been enjoying it to this point.

My own Rolex journey, on the other hand, is not something I’d describe as ended, but it’s on indefinite hiatus. The crown hasn’t released anything interesting to me in years and I’ve really been enjoying branching out into Seiko and a few other brands of late.

But to get back on topic, one other item of note with respect to the SLA037 compared with the SLA043 - the 037 has Zaratsu polishing while according to the interwebs (whatever that is worth), the 043 is apparently completely brushed, without any Zaratsu finishing on the case.
Old 4 October 2020, 10:54 AM   #27
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I may make some people mad but i dont care.

These seiko prices are getting absurd and the LE strategy is mind boggling.

I am not a fan of a 4,500 dollar seiko that is a non grand seiko.

Maybe I am missing something but just because something is limited doesnt mean the price should be higher. Just my 2 cents.

Count me amongst those not mad about this opinion! Totally get it. I’ve had the same thought at times.

On the other hand, I’m one of the madmen who purchased this giant lug, which is an expensive-as-hell Seiko, with GS-level finishing, yet it says Seiko on the dial.

To me, that’s a draw - Zaratsu finishing, 8L55 hi-beat movement, robust as can be, yet most people who see it wouldn’t give it a second glance.

The limited factor is neither here nor there to me, but to each their own on this stuff. I really dig it.
Old 4 October 2020, 11:23 AM   #28
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, I made the same mistake above as well. My bad. Glad this has been clarified for thread readers!

To the extent you’re saying you’re done with Seiko, I’m kind of at the other end, just beginning to go down the rabbit hole.

I’ve enjoyed it so far, but man, their overarching strategy is confusing to me, and I’m starting to get some of the lingo down. There’s a lot to learn and I’ve been enjoying it to this point.

My own Rolex journey, on the other hand, is not something I’d describe as ended, but it’s on indefinite hiatus. The crown hasn’t released anything interesting to me in years and I’ve really been enjoying branching out into Seiko and a few other brands of late.

But to get back on topic, one other item of note with respect to the SLA037 compared with the SLA043 - the 037 has Zaratsu polishing while according to the interwebs (whatever that is worth), the 043 is apparently completely brushed, without any Zaratsu finishing on the case.

Zaratsu polishing. Hmmm. That’s an interesting difference.

(My own rolex journey is also on a hiatus. Set to resume when i turn 50).

Old 4 October 2020, 10:02 PM   #29
1William
2024 Pledge Member

I have always taken my Seiko/Grand Seiko purchases as fun and have been able to move in and out of watches with few problems. Lose a little or on occasion make a few dollars and have some fun. Now that we are getting into so many SE/LE releases and the money is not nominal, I have begun to analyze the brand with the same filter I use for my Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Panerai and Breitling purchases. One of the issues is that those brands do not as quickly put out models that compete or undermine current models. Panerai is bad for it but usually it takes a couple of years. As I look at it more and more and realize I have strayed from what drew me to Seiko to start with the less the expensive models make sense. What does that mean for my collecting? I am not sure but when I have to start thinking about it, what it tells me is there is an issue. I wore my SPB143 yesterday and my SLA017. Different watches but close and the SLA017 was not worth 4k more to me, not yesterday at least. Such is the issue. No decisions yet just thoughts.

Last edited by 1William; 4 October 2020 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 October 2020, 10:22 PM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Good point above. And I agree. I have almost all the newer, smaller SPbs from this year and enjoy them a ton. The luxe versions are nice. What it means to me is it’s harder to try them out and move on without taking a material $$ hit now. So it’s more pay to play. Not sure I want to spend thousands doing that on these. They are better than their cheaper look a likes, but not 5x. And especially when 5x becomes 3.5x on secondary. It should be able to play them used though, that’s just not really my thing.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote