The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 12 June 2021, 01:28 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Icon15 Pineider Avatar = Rollerball Perfection!!!

Since retiring from a legal career (not embarking on an illegal one now), I no longer have the need to use my fountain pens on a regular basis. I usually had a few rollerballs laying around for traveling and having handy for clients to use while signing documents. However, I never found a rollerball that I enjoyed using near as much as my Parker or DuPont fountain pens.

I loved the feel of my Duofold rollerball but the quality of the Parker refills was horrid. If 50% wrote with smooth and consistent ink flow, I was happy. I never found Montblanc’s cartridges to be anything special, either.

I tried a BaronFig (new social media sensation) capless and was horribly disappointed. I even sent the first one back thinking it was defective due to a loose, clicking feel when writing. The ink was very nice, however, with a smooth feel and no smudging. The second pen was better but still unacceptable on a $10 pen much less a $60 one.

The closest I found to a fountain pen experience over time was a $100 Waterman. Well, that broke last month. The barrel snapped in two at the thread line. Not bad for five years and getting flung around on a regular basis.

While in Houston a couple weeks ago, I stopped into a local shop called Dromgoole’s and asked to see their favorite rollerball under $250. I expected to be buying another Waterman; however, the salesman went directly to a brand I had never heard of - Pineider.

I bought the Avatar model at the shockingly reasonable price of $125. It looks very elegant and distinctive with a new resin composition that is supposed to be extremely durable to impacts and heat. A big plus since I have a history of cracking barrels with drops and caps when not posted securely enough.

Another interesting feature is the magnetic lock on the cap. I have always been irritated by the screw threads on most pens. The cap on the Avatar sets with a reassuring click and has not budged while being put in bags and planner pen loops.

Writing with this pen is a dream. Not as effortless as a fountain pen, of course, but smoother than any other rollerball I have tried, including the Waterman. I forgot to ask who makes the Pineider branded refills, but the three extra cartridges I purchased were all perfectly smooth. Smudging is non-existent.

The only iffy thing about this pen for me is the barrel trim which is engraved with the skyline of Florence, where the company is based. I would have preferred something much cleaner but can live with this since I do love Italy.

I am very happy with the style and writing experience with the relatively economical price of this mid-level pen. Anyone looking for a high-quality daily driver should consider this brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 77D50968-A4B1-4095-9150-163807B3DE58.jpeg (154.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpeg 22081329-B0C9-4154-9AD8-21CA286C92BD.jpeg (171.0 KB, 229 views)

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Rush1
"TRF" Member

Very nice, and thanks for sharing your experience.
Also curious as to who makes the pen refill. Perhaps, it is a Parker sized so as to be compatible with other pen cases?
Rush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 10:53 PM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Gorgeous pen!

I just purchased my first Pineider fountain pen in the Oak Arco.

Nothing compared to the Omas or ASC Arco, but Pineider does a good job for the money.

Photo courtesy Pineider.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 11:27 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Since retiring from a legal career (not embarking on an illegal one now), I no longer have the need to use my fountain pens on a regular basis. I usually had a few rollerballs laying around for traveling and having handy for clients to use while signing documents. However, I never found a rollerball that I enjoyed using near as much as my Parker or DuPont fountain pens.

I loved the feel of my Duofold rollerball but the quality of the Parker refills was horrid. If 50% wrote with smooth and consistent ink flow, I was happy. I never found Montblanc’s cartridges to be anything special, either.

I tried a BaronFig (new social media sensation) capless and was horribly disappointed. I even sent the first one back thinking it was defective due to a loose, clicking feel when writing. The ink was very nice, however, with a smooth feel and no smudging. The second pen was better but still unacceptable on a $10 pen much less a $60 one.

The closest I found to a fountain pen experience over time was a $100 Waterman. Well, that broke last month. The barrel snapped in two at the thread line. Not bad for five years and getting flung around on a regular basis.

While in Houston a couple weeks ago, I stopped into a local shop called Dromgoole’s and asked to see their favorite rollerball under $250. I expected to be buying another Waterman; however, the salesman went directly to a brand I had never heard of - Pineider.

I bought the Avatar model at the shockingly reasonable price of $125. It looks very elegant and distinctive with a new resin composition that is supposed to be extremely durable to impacts and heat. A big plus since I have a history of cracking barrels with drops and caps when not posted securely enough.

Another interesting feature is the magnetic lock on the cap. I have always been irritated by the screw threads on most pens. The cap on the Avatar sets with a reassuring click and has not budged while being put in bags and planner pen loops.

Writing with this pen is a dream. Not as effortless as a fountain pen, of course, but smoother than any other rollerball I have tried, including the Waterman. I forgot to ask who makes the Pineider branded refills, but the three extra cartridges I purchased were all perfectly smooth. Smudging is non-existent.

The only iffy thing about this pen for me is the barrel trim which is engraved with the skyline of Florence, where the company is based. I would have preferred something much cleaner but can live with this since I do love Italy.

I am very happy with the style and writing experience with the relatively economical price of this mid-level pen. Anyone looking for a high-quality daily driver should consider this brand.
Thanks for posting this Jason

Since my wife and I LOVE Italy and Firenze especially, I’m going to looking into one of these. I’ve been looking for a good pen and this one sounds like it fits the bill
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 03:13 PM   #5
BlueRoman
"TRF" Member

I have the Pineider Avatar fountain pen and it’s fantastic.
BlueRoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 01:37 PM   #6
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Dromgoole’s is an awesome store! Great pens of all price points and many other cool items. Parking around their store is brutal but worth the effort to shop there.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 02:27 AM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Dromgoole’s is an awesome store! Great pens of all price points and many other cool items. Parking around their store is brutal but worth the effort to shop there.
Fortunately for me, it is walking distance from my brother’s place.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote