The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23 July 2021, 10:02 PM   #151
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
The key is bringing Ginger and Mary Ann with you.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2021, 10:15 PM   #152
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve often wondered if I could actually live on an island. Sounds idyllic, but I think I’d become bored
Oh heck no with boredom. Maybe it depends on your partner in crime

The plan my muse / wife and I have is to one day move to our self-sustaining(ish) island. We raise chickens, have a nice garden, etc. Clothes are optional of course, and enjoy life together happily ever after.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 23 July 2021, 10:18 PM   #153
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve often wondered if I could actually live on an island. Sounds idyllic, but I think I’d become bored
Canary Islands are pretty big to be fair. Lots to do there and the different islands have very different landscapes to explore. The surfing in Fuerteventura is top drawer.
Old 23 July 2021, 10:18 PM   #154
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

The plan my muse / wife and I have is to one day move to our self-sustaining(ish) island. We raise chickens, have a nice garden, etc. Clothes are optional of course, and enjoy life together happily ever after.

Different strokes, but that's exactly what I'm taking about. Shoot me now lol

Old 23 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #155
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Wondered about that too. Namely Maui. But the island fever thing is something to think about.

I guess you have to assess if where you live on the mainland, that you really travel very far in, say, a year anyways. Do you go more than a few miles to the store, restaurant, etc.

And of course there are planes to take you somewhere when you get bored. Hawaiians love Vegas. Go figure.
Old 23 July 2021, 10:22 PM   #156
Halothane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Facts. That ocean water is too cold tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the Ocean is too cold out west , plus seaweed with flies , and Mexico E. coli in the beach sand ! My brother lived on Coronado for a long time. Temperature was great but never really enjoyed the beach because of these things.

Old 23 July 2021, 10:39 PM   #157
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Canary Islands are pretty big to be fair. Lots to do there and the different islands have very different landscapes to explore. The surfing in Fuerteventura is top drawer.
It does sound fantastic, I just think I'd miss the mainland and all it has to offer.

I honestly don't think I could actually live on an island, but totally respect those who can (or think they can).

Also, I love my wife, she is an absolute gem ... didn't mean my previous post to be interpreted the wrong way

Old 23 July 2021, 10:43 PM   #158
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Wondered about that too. Namely Maui. But the island fever thing is something to think about.
Agreed, as not everyone can 'handle' the island life / lifestyle. Know thyself.

Maui has other people on the island relatively nearby, and there are commercial transportation options. So imho it is really not that secluded.

Personally, have already lived within a very secluded location, and winters meant you were literally 'stuck at home' due to hardened ice, -17F temps, etc. The 1/2-mile long hardpack driveway (800 feet elevation change upward) was impassable during the winter months (think along the lines of the White Mountains bad on some days). My old landline ph# was one digit away from the Mount Washington Observatory, so at ~4am some days I'd get Fat Finger calls from meteorologists about the weather conditions(!).

Interestingly, we did opt one winter to enjoy a few months in Hawaii. Another winter we 'toured' South America. Another winter we did Sedona. Yet the years we chose to stay secluded were fine too. Again, know thyself.

All good
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 23 July 2021, 11:22 PM   #159
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

'Island Life'....it's all relative isn't it.
Great Britain, Australia, NZ, are 'Islands'.

As for constant year-round Sunshine?
I like ice-cream, but,......every day?

I suppose it's what you've grown up with, or have got used to.
Personally, I enjoy visiting 'the sunshine' for a month or two a couple of times a year, but would miss the English 'seasons'....frosty, snowy days, walking back from the pub after a couple of pints, to a nice log fire, laying in bed listening to the rain, long sunny days in the the garden, beautiful golden, autumn days.
Yes, there's a lot to be said for constant sunshine every day... But give me England and her seasonal variations, any day.

No rain, no rainbows.

And, as a footnote, it seem most of one of our largest, Sunniest Continents, seems to want to come to.......England!.
Dick Whittington, it seems, has a lot to answer for.
Old 23 July 2021, 11:24 PM   #160
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
All I know is when I move from CA to your state, you can rest assured I wont be bringing California politics with me.

I agree with the OP, CA has transformed for the worst in the last 20 years.
Lord I hope this is the case with the majority. Thank you!
Old 23 July 2021, 11:50 PM   #161
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
'Island Life'....it's all relative isn't it.
Great Britain, Australia, NZ, are 'Islands'.

As for constant year-round Sunshine?
I like ice-cream, but,......every day?

I suppose it's what you've grown up with, or have got used to.
Personally, I enjoy visiting 'the sunshine' for a month or two a couple of times a year, but would miss the English 'seasons'....frosty, snowy days, walking back from the pub after a couple of pints, to a nice log fire, laying in bed listening to the rain, long sunny days in the the garden, beautiful golden, autumn days.
Yes, there's a lot to be said for constant sunshine every day... But give me England and her seasonal variations, any day.

No rain, no rainbows.

And, as a footnote, it seem most of one of our largest, Sunniest Continents, seems to want to come to.......England!.
Dick Whittington, it seems, has a lot to answer for.
Australia is not really an island. It's a continent almost as large as the US.

As for California, it's pretty large. Some areas have winter and snow. Some areas have coastal fog that may or may not burn off during the day. There are seasons, although for the most part not really winter as people would think of as winter.

San Francisco is pretty cool in the summer hence the saying, 'the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

California is almost twice as big as the UK and there are massive climate "choices" here. From 4 season to perhaps 2 seasons. For people to think it's a tropical warm climate all year would be wrong.

California is one of the few places where five major climate types occur in close proximity. Here, the Desert, Cool Interior, Highland, and Steppe climates border a smaller region of Mediterranean climate.

So you can stagger home from the pub in the cold and sit by the fire. You can sit in the rain, and you can sit in your garden and watch the leaves change color. Although hopefully not change color due to the fires raging around you.
Old 24 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #162
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Take me with you
Old 24 July 2021, 12:21 AM   #163
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:

I guess you have to assess if where you live on the mainland, that you really travel very far in, say, a year anyways. Do you go more than a few miles to the store, restaurant, etc.

And of course there are planes to take you somewhere when you get bored. Hawaiians love Vegas. Go figure.

Exactly !! It's a great place to retire

Now Maui is the next stop - https://townehawaii.com/the-parkways-at-maui-lani/
Old 24 July 2021, 12:33 AM   #164
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I have lived in many places and for work, traveled the world. I love California, would not live anywhere else but bad politics have ruined the state. I will leave that elephant in the room there. Governor is on the out, new election on Sept 14th. Praying the outcome does not mimic Nov 3rd, 2020.

Ian Fleming
Old 24 July 2021, 01:00 AM   #165
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Exactly !! It's a great place to retire

Now Maui is the next stop - https://townehawaii.com/the-parkways-at-maui-lani/
Not sure on that location with rising sea levels. It's probably the lowest point on the island.

Good for a few years though.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:08 AM   #166
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Find better weather on Earth than San Diego, California,….. I’ll wait.
Unquestionably there is no weather better than San Diego in the US. In the world the Costa del Sol in Spain and coastal Portugal come very close.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:37 AM   #167
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
I have lived in many places and for work, traveled the world. I love California, would not live anywhere else but bad politics have ruined the state. I will leave that elephant in the room there. Governor is on the out, new election on Sept 14th. Praying the outcome does not mimic Nov 3rd, 2020.
A free and fair election? Why wouldn’t you want that?
Old 24 July 2021, 01:43 AM   #168
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Fuertoventura is pretty cool, quite a diverse island; tropical with a little bit of desert island on one end. Scuba diving, beautiful beaches, night clubs... that was in 2000, I can only imagine how awesome it is now.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:50 AM   #169
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
In with the new boss, same as the old boss... I think what kills me most is the $80-billion surplus California has, yet look at the infrastructure: crumbling highways and broken public works / utilities. Tax your people to the max then mismanage what they're paying for. Taxes should only be levied for those expenses absolutely necessary for government to function, and any excess should go back to the taxpayer. That's just ridiculous.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:59 AM   #170
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Unquestionably there is no weather better than San Diego in the US. In the world the Costa del Sol in Spain and coastal Portugal come very close.
Any of the southern Aegean islands beats those options hands down.
In reality you could only ever make such a claim if you've literally lived everywhere in the world.
Old 24 July 2021, 02:08 AM   #171
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any of the southern Aegean islands beats those options hands down.
In reality you could only ever make such a claim if you've literally lived everywhere in the world.

Even then it’s subjective. People like different things.

Old 24 July 2021, 02:09 AM   #172
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Even then it’s subjective. People like different things.

Quite
Old 24 July 2021, 03:51 AM   #173
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
I wonder why people even care so much where and why we love it here.

Seems to be a lot of emotion or an agenda going on here.

Like I said, people that leave here always seem to act like jilted lovers.

Live where you like and are happy.
I think it's jealousy.
Old 24 July 2021, 03:57 AM   #174
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
I think it's jealousy.
I think you are correct

Ian Fleming
Old 24 July 2021, 04:18 AM   #175
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Take me with you
As handsome and deliciously debonair as you are, she doesn't desire a threesome. Fact... sorry 'bout that.

Old 24 July 2021, 04:19 AM   #176
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
yet more than half the people commenting on the topic live here and are agreeing with the article...
Old 24 July 2021, 05:44 AM   #177
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
As handsome and deliciously debonair as you are, she doesn't desire a threesome. Fact... sorry 'bout that.
Old 24 July 2021, 06:09 AM   #178
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I live in NorCal and love our area. My favorites are Monterey and Beverly Hills/ Los Angeles. But, this place is brutal to live. Houses that should be 500k are 825k in NorCal. It’s a very strange time here.

I get to play golf 12 months out of the year and i wear shorts and flip flops for probably 8 months or more, it’s hard to hate. For us, our family is here and i doubt we ever leave.

Old 24 July 2021, 06:38 AM   #179
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I live in NorCal and love our area. My favorites are Monterey and Beverly Hills/ Los Angeles. But, this place is brutal to live. Houses that should be 500k are 825k in NorCal. It’s a very strange time here.

I get to play golf 12 months out of the year and i wear shorts and flip flops for probably 8 months or more, it’s hard to hate. For us, our family is here and i doubt we ever leave.

Come visit us in Monterey when we move back in October.

Like I've said in the past - if you're willing to pay to play, there's no other place in America that can beat it in terms of weather, things to do, proximity to things (surf / snowboard in the same day), beautiful people, etc.

It's the cost that deters a lot of people, as seen by many of the responses in this thread.
Old 24 July 2021, 07:25 AM   #180
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
You wouldn’t know people are leaving CA with the 10k+ new homes they are building around us with houses selling the same day the go on the market for hundreds of thousands over asking.

Growing up in south OC in the 90s and 2000s a lot has changed. I do miss all the orange trees, strawberry farms and no traffic. As bad as that gets though I do like wearing shorts and flip flops year around and a less than 20*high temp swing from winter to summer and no bugs or humidity. My doors and windows are open everyday, we swim in the pool and cook/eat outdoors 3+ nights a week all year long. Heck we even had thanksgiving and new years pool parties. Little less than 2 miles from the ocean and can easily get to the mountains, deserts, lakes, etc. The up to 13.3% income tax with basically no SALT deduction sucks as do some of the politics but quality of life is hard to beat.
Closed Thread