The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2018, 07:30 AM   #1
CRDMMW
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Not PP, but would like to know what the Patek guys think of H. Moser Pionier

The watch is H. Moser’s Pionier Centre Seconds in SS. What is everyone’s feeling on this? On the company? Will it hold its value if a 20%+ discount is available? Design, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
As much as I like Moser, Lange has a better chance to retain value and it’s still a bloodbath
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:49 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like the watch and the brand. Wish the case size was a bit smaller. With that said, if you sell it, I think you’d take way more than a 20% hit
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:34 AM   #4
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

-45%
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:50 AM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

It's all about the dial with them... cool watch. will it hold value, doubt it. buy collectible watches...
Old 9 October 2018, 11:06 AM   #6
CRDMMW
Banned

Thanks for the input!!

Old 9 October 2018, 12:44 PM   #7
"TRF" Member

Make sure you also look at the dimensions of this watch. The height alone is over 11mm because the H. Moser website only mentions the height W/O the sapphire crystal.
Comparatively, a Patek Calatrava 5196 is only 7.68mm in height which does include the sapphire crystal.

If buying watches without trying it on...always make sure you know what you are getting because it may look nice on a picture, but on the wrist is a different story...
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 01:16 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
They make high quality stuff but the aesthetic is not my taste. I don’t see them being collectible any time soon. If you want to be different but have a dart throw at collectibility down the road try journe.
Old 9 October 2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I like their watches specially the fume dials but for sure you will lose arm and leg when reselling. This is one of the cases going grey dealer route makes lot of sense as you can get 30% less than retail (and still will possibly lose decent amount at flipping)
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I recently picked one up on a whim. It is truly a special watch. You would need to get one, to know. It is roughly $10/11,000....and it's quality is on par with a 5167 that costs considerably more (i might sound bias, but i will eventually add a 5167 too). Moser makes about 800-1,200 pieces a year. You're buying into a brand that actually cares about it's customers. When was the last time anyone got an email from the CEO from PP, AP, ALS, VC.....for buying an entry level watch? Objectively speaking, I was in the market for a DSSD but my wife picked it out for me because she liked the way it looked and also because it wasn't mainstream. I went ahead with the purchase because of the attention to detail (I love the art deco vibe on the side of the case, the finishing on the clasps and the movement and the fume dial of course). I like the direction that the CEO is taking the company in, he is reinventing the brand whilst still staying true to it's heritage. It's honestly refreshing, whimsical and non-corporate. I don't know too much about resale, but if you want a pioneer, you'll pay for it...as their aren't too many around in the first place....and it's something different. I think this brand as their own cult following and under the stewardship of the Meylan family it will go places. Personally, I prefer the blue dial, but each to their own.
Old 9 October 2018, 06:01 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the good news is it isnt a 50k watch so the value proposition isnt terrible. Its much more painful to take a bath on a much more expensive watch as that is entry level for them. If i got a moser that would be it however it wears really, really big. My 5524 looked tiny next to it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 06:06 PM   #12
Codik
"TRF" Member

Those ads where the CEO is basically bullying the marketing guys put me off.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 08:30 PM   #13
Hank
"TRF" Member

I picked up a Moser on a whim as well but flipped it pretty quickly because I didn’t bond with it. Fell in and out of love with the blue quite quickly. The fit and finish were impeccable but it was too large for a semi dress watch. Picked up a DSSD soon after and couldn’t be happier. To each his own.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:37 PM   #14
kashb
"TRF" Member

Hi I’ll add my thoughts too as a few more posts are coming through
- I bought the cosmic green dial, being shown by the op
- it’s steel, 120wr on a strap. It’s their idea of a sports watch and it isn’t a dress watch at all. The size and credentials alone tell us that. So if you want a waterproof semi sports thats larger then this is it. Lange don’t do one so no comparison, and if you want smaller and dress, then those are different models all together.
- being entry and steel, it’s way cheaper and so the bath should not be as bad. Greys do not have these models available in the boat load and it’s popular, they don’t make many!
- now the good bits.... it’s massively different to what anyone else is wearing, especially the new cosmic green. Agree that you need to see it to appreciate the dial, it is amazing and I own a 5170p, I look at the green dial way more.
- moser is very high quality and you can feel it. A Very small independent company and not many made , 1200 ish for all models should tell you this is a special brand still.
- go see one, wear it and if it sings buy. This watch and brand is an emotional buy, it’s no Rolex sub.
- me, I love it. I have Patek and Rolex and this is just different. Very unique and funky dial and very rare to see one out there.
kashb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:54 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Moser I like most in the dress watch space, not so sure about this crossover watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:10 AM   #16
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDMMW View Post
The watch is H. Moser’s Pionier Centre Seconds in SS. What is everyone’s feeling on this? On the company? Will it hold its value if a 20%+ discount is available? Design, etc?

this dial is just not for me.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Buy the watch, any watch, for yourself.
Forget about what anyone else may think about it, positively and negatively – it’s your wrist, your money, and your own personal taste.

And asking “Patek guys” what they think of a Moser Pioneer is akin to asking “Porsche guys” what they think of the Jaguar XE SV or a Corvette ZR1.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:31 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Buy the watch, any watch, for yourself.
Forget about what anyone else may think about it, positively and negatively – it’s your wrist, your money, and your own personal taste.

And asking “Patek guys” what they think of a Moser Pioneer is akin to asking “Porsche guys” what they think of the Jaguar XE SV or a Corvette ZR1.
I think he’s asking Patek guys cause, well, we are the ultimate authority on all things horlogy
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #19
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Hard pass.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:43 AM   #20
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
If you like that green dial, try GO from Germany. Handmade watches, movements and dials. They make one with a beautiful green dial from their 60s collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:31 PM   #21
PJ S
Banned

^
You’re confusing handmade with hand assembled — the two terms are distinctly separate.
The Sixties model isn’t comparable to the Moser, and the depreciation will be exactly the same — so it’d be six of one, half a dozen of another.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:18 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I think he’s asking Patek guys cause, well, we are the ultimate authority on all things horlogy

plus, if he asked in the Rolex area it tends to be a bit less objective IMO. If he asked it the "other watches" section it would take a week to get a page of responses.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:27 PM   #23
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Plus, if he asked in the rolex area it tends to be a bit less objective imo. If he asked it the "other watches" section it would take a week to get a page of responses.
hahahahaha very true!
Old 10 October 2018, 10:28 PM   #24
CRDMMW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

plus, if he asked in the Rolex area it tends to be a bit less objective IMO. If he asked it the "other watches" section it would take a week to get a page of responses.

You hit the nail on the head. I’m going to pass on this one. I like it from pictures but have never seen it in person and the closest AD is probably 1k miles away.

Old 11 October 2018, 02:47 AM   #25
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I rather buy GS.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 10:38 AM   #26
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

I had one. Liked it. Wound up being too big. Didn’t do too bad on resale, but I definitely got lucky.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote