The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Cvg
"TRF" Member

New to Rolex- my AD experience

So I’ve joined up, done my homework and bought a SS sub. I’m not seeking to build a collection although after lurking around here it’s awfully tempting. The jewelry store where I have bought six figures worth of diamonds for my wife is a an AD. They laughed at me. I mean they actually laughed when I attempted to buy a SS sub. So, I found an online dealer, paid $9500 shipped for a brand new piece with stickers and tags and warranty card from dealer with my name. Sales tax was avoided so I’d say it’s a wash vs buying local. I stopped in to show my AD and he was visibly upset. Three days later he called me to offer a new GMT Master II, black I believe. Too late. So I’m sharing because while I’m new to all this, and I recognize that the model I wanted isn’t too terribly rare , I had no problems buying. My AD , who really is great with diamonds for my wife , may be pissed. Oh well. I really just wanted a proper watch after years of wearing nothing or cheap. I love my Submariner and likely will be my only watch. I do enjoy these forums posts.
Cvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Kinda shitty of them. But glad you got your watch. Congrats!
Old 13 December 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Go buy more diamonds for your wife from somewhere else and show him. AD's who treat people this way should know the consequences, clearly, and they should feel the pain in their wallet.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:22 AM   #4
calh22a
Banned

If I’ve purchased 6 figures worth of diamonds from a jeweler and they laugh at me when I try to buy a sub, I’d stop going there. They obviously didn’t value your prior business and history. I’d take my money elsewhere from now on.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Go buy more diamonds for your wife from somewhere else and show him. AD's who treat people this way should know the consequences, clearly, and they should feel the pain in their wallet.
Agreed
Old 13 December 2018, 11:24 AM   #6
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
That's so crappy of them that they didn't at least try to do something for you. But the bottom line is you got your watch and that's all that matters. Congratulations!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Agreed! When ADs behave this way they should know, not only are they losing a sale, they are losing a valuable client. Cause let's face it, the SS Rolex models sell themselves, but hundreds of thousands worth of diamonds not so much...

*Don't know much about the diamond market, but I felt that was a pretty safe assumption.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

OP, any business that laughs at you for trying to buy a common SS Sub after you patronize him with 100K of your hard earned money you should tell him to f@$% off. In a nice tone, of course!

BTW enjoy the Sub. One of the best of the best on the planet! Congrats.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #9
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon5

They laughed like, they understood you got the joke and they did Not have any SS sub's?

or

They laughed with a SS Sub in inventory?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Yea, find a new AD. Welcome and congrats on the Sub. It’s a great watch.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:32 AM   #11
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Yeah screw that AD, take your business else where.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
They laughed like, they understood you got the joke and they did Not have any SS sub's?

or

They laughed with a SS Sub in inventory?
Wrong either way.

Also, we are talking about a SS Sub here, not a Daytona or BLRO. I live in LA, and this past summer was offered one that had "just arrived" at an AD with which I had no relationship. Not what I was looking for so I declined. But my point is while certainly difficult to find, the SS Sub is not impossible to source, especially for a well established client. It sounds like they weren't even willing to try.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:46 AM   #13
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvg View Post
So I’ve joined up, done my homework and bought a SS sub. I’m not seeking to build a collection although after lurking around here it’s awfully tempting. The jewelry store where I have bought six figures worth of diamonds for my wife is a an AD. They laughed at me. I mean they actually laughed when I attempted to buy a SS sub. So, I found an online dealer, paid $9500 shipped for a brand new piece with stickers and tags and warranty card from dealer with my name. Sales tax was avoided so I’d say it’s a wash vs buying local. I stopped in to show my AD and he was visibly upset. Three days later he called me to offer a new GMT Master II, black I believe. Too late. So I’m sharing because while I’m new to all this, and I recognize that the model I wanted isn’t too terribly rare , I had no problems buying. My AD , who really is great with diamonds for my wife , may be pissed. Oh well. I really just wanted a proper watch after years of wearing nothing or cheap. I love my Submariner and likely will be my only watch. I do enjoy these forums posts.

Looking at a quick map I’m guessing it must be one of these two:

James free or richter and Phillips
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:51 AM   #14
Cvg
"TRF" Member

To add clarity , I’ve been working with him for 10 years. All major milestones I bought rings or earrings or bracelets. He told me when I asked for SS that it wasn’t available and I was a rookie. Showed me Tudor and Breitling. Or tried to. I knew what I wanted. We will see if he makes amends. I easily spent over $100k in ten years. When he called regarding the GMT , he indicated he was surprised I was “ a watch guy”. I explained I’m not however I did want to have a proper watch.

Last edited by Cvg; 13 December 2018 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Cvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:51 AM   #15
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
welcome to TRF!
i would have done the same thing..! extremely rude of them to laugh at you after having spent that kind of money with them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:53 AM   #16
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Three days later he called me to offer a new GMT Master II, black I believe. Too late.
Too late, indeed. Weird that a GMT Master materializes so quickly after you showed off you new sub.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Visibly upset that you bought a watch they didn't want to/couldn't sell you. Sounds like a great outfit.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:02 PM   #18
jenedla
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't choose
I love this post. Good on ya, OP.
jenedla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:06 PM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
To add clarity , I’ve been working with him for 10 years. All major milestones I bought rings or earrings or bracelets. He told me when I asked for SS that it wasn’t available and I was a rookie. Showed me Tudor and Breitling. Or tried to. I knew what I wanted. We will see if he makes amends. I easily spent over $100k in ten years. When he called regarding the GMT , he indicated he was surprised I was “ a watch guy”. I explained I’m not however I did want to have a proper watch.
he doesn't deserve to try to make amends imo, move on to an AD that will take care of you. plenty of good ones out there. these guys don't deserve any more of your money and lol at if he actually called you a rookie, i'd just walk out on the spot
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:13 PM   #20
turborolex
"TRF" Member

That’s just unprofessional and wrong on many levels.

I have not had an AD laugh at my request for a watch yet, but if it did happen to me, I’d very quickly put him/her in their place and make them feel really uncomfortable.

I’ve done that multiple times at car dealerships and some other places when I sensed the salesperson was being really snobby because they are selling a desirable product.

Very common in NYC to get that kind of treatment; and it took me a while to master my responses to those who act like your AD.

I would go back in and look the owner straight in the eyes and say: not only did I buy the watch I want from someone else, I’m not buying diamonds or any jewelry from you again, I’m telling my friends and family to do the same and I’ll make sure to tell everyone I know who comes to your store how unprofessionally you treated me...because you could have just said “we’re sorry, but we don’t have any in stock right now”. Instead, your staff laughed at me like I was asking for a handout. It’s time for you to re-train your staff on how to act professionally and represent the brand you’re selling in the manner expected by them (Rolex).

Sorry for the long post, but I understand your frustration!

Congrats on the new sub!

Old 13 December 2018, 12:13 PM   #21
AirborneSFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
I would have been insulted if someone called me a rookie. Clearly you knew what you wanted and had established you were more than capable of getting any watch you were after. In fact you did prove you could easily procure exactly the watch you were after. I agree with all the others here and move on to another AD.
AirborneSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:15 PM   #22
shapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Wrong either way.

Also, we are talking about a SS Sub here, not a Daytona or BLRO. I live in LA, and this past summer was offered one that had "just arrived" at an AD with which I had no relationship. Not what I was looking for so I declined. But my point is while certainly difficult to find, the SS Sub is not impossible to source, especially for a well established client. It sounds like they weren't even willing to try.

Agree. Last month, randomly walked into an AD in Vegas. They were willing to sell me a SS Sub they had just received- I was not interested. What a joke this has become. The sub is great but come on, it’s not the holy grail. Find a new establishment.

shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #23
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post

I have not had an AD laugh at my request for a watch yet, but if it did happen to me, I’d very quickly put him/her in their place and make them feel really uncomfortable.

I’ve done that multiple times at car dealerships and some other places when I sensed the salesperson was being really snobby because they are selling a desirable product.

Very common in NYC to get that kind of treatment; and it took me a while to master my responses to those who act like your AD.

I would go back in and look the owner straight in the eyes and say: not only did I buy the watch I want from someone else, I’m not buying diamonds or any jewelry from you again, I’m telling my friends and family to do the same and I’ll make sure to tell everyone I know who comes to your store how unprofessionally you treated me...because you could have just said “we’re sorry, but we don’t have any in stock right now”. Instead, your staff laughed at me like I was asking for a handout. It’s time for you to re-train your staff on how to act professionally and represent the brand you’re selling in the manner expected by them (Rolex).

Congrats on the new sub!

Agreed with this! He had that GMT in his safe all along, we all know it. Maybe after your conservation with him he’ll offer a Daytona or BLRO to make amends
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
You spend 100k on diamonds, they should bow at the ankles when you walk in. Well OK maybe not but Ooo evil thought here. Tell him thanks for the Ln offer but it's too redundant to your Sub but if he wants to keep your relationship going source out an SSBlro for you. OK I'm just thinking out loud and feeling Pd' off for you like you were being blown off. Btw, Congrats on your SubC date !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:41 PM   #25
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Talk to ownership if available, remind them of your past purchases and also remind them you will never step foot in that crappy store again as long as you live. I would have told them to go f themselves. This story makes me so angry. You spend all that money and they laugh in your face like that. It’s not like your asking for one of every Baselworld watches released for 2018. The response should have been we will do everything we can to get you a watch and if we can’t get you that one we will get you something as close as possible. What a bunch of punks at that store. Or actually they should have said the very next son that comes in is yours bud because we value your business
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:47 PM   #26
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I personally would take my diamond business elsewhere and go out of my way to write them a bad review.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:52 PM   #27
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
A lot of ADs are like walking into a car dealership - bad behaviors, bad everything. Never had a good experience with any of them personally. Just not my kind of place to hang around. Anyway, I personally like buying from a Trust Seller and will always do so as long as they are around.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:56 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your Submariner
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:00 PM   #29
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post

Congrats on the new sub!

Well said!
I'm glad OP did in fact go back in and let them know he bought one from somewhere else, and probably handled it a lot better than I would have. Completely unacceptable on their part.
And before I forget -

Congratulations!!! Enjoy it!!!!!
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:01 PM   #30
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Welcome to TRF

I have totally different experience. I was looking for SS sport Rolex all over Europe for two weeks on my early June vacation with no prevail. Upon my return at the end of this June I walked in local to my work AD and purchase my first Rolex (DSSD) with 10% discount off MSRP. Less than 6 month later I own DSSD, BLNR and DaytonaC without spending money on much of any jewelry.

If you would spent 6 figures on the jewelry at my AD you can have whatever Rolex model you want without doubt. My AD is a family own business and they value they clients.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote