The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2018, 12:42 AM   #31
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Personally I hate stickers and make sure they’re all removed before wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #32
Chris85
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP ROO YG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
The people who have ruined the market are not the end users, they are not the flippers and they are not even the grey dealers. It is the ADs who took stock from Rolex and then sold them out the back door to greys rather than honouring their waiting lists or putting them in the window.
As I say, it all serves to just annoy the customer.
This right here is the issue. If an item can be purchased for $10k then sold the next day for $20k, there will always be people flipping. The will also be people who wait on the list, and treasure the watch forever and pass it down, but I suspect those people are far fewer. More likely, the people who pay $18k for a steel Pepsi agree going to keep it.

The problem is that owning a Rolex is not exclusive anymore. Any schmo like myself can take out a line of credit and purchase one.

I think Rolex is trying to raise the exclusivity. ADs are getting less stock, and so demand will remain high, meaning that the grey market will always carry a premium. If the AD back door deals with greys cease, then only the people who actually want them will get them.

Waiting lists will be judged by store owners, and so the exclusivity has returned.

Btw, just purchased yesterday in the US. Card not held, 50% stickers removed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:57 AM   #33
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
The problem is that owning a Rolex is not exclusive anymore. Any schmo like myself can take out a line of credit and purchase one.
Credit cards have been around a while. And Rolex watches get continually more expensive, far outpacing the rate of inflation. Rolex watches are far MORE exclusive now than they ever have been before. The difference is that now there is much greater incentive to buy and flip because the aftermarket prices are so much higher than MSRP on desirable models.

There is no evidence Rolex has strategically reduced production of its most desirable watches. Rather the demand has simply grown in a way that is far outstripping available supply. Greys realized, starting with the DaytonaC, that customers are willing to pay a premium thousands above MSRP to get access. As the rising demand has sought an outlet in what used to be common SS models like the Sub and GMT IIc, flippers and greys have started grabbing those up too. It's a vicious cycle that's not going to end until the inflated prices piss off enough buyers that demand starts to drop and unsold SS pieces start collecting dust on very market shelves.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #34
Chris85
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
Credit cards have been around a while. And Rolex watches get continually more expensive, far outpacing the rate of inflation. Rolex watches are far MORE exclusive now than they ever have been before. The difference is that now there is much greater incentive to buy and flip because the aftermarket prices are so much higher than MSRP on desirable models.
I disagree solely based on numbers. Some googling turned up this:

1980 world population: 4.4B
1980 Rolex Production: ~100k
2018 world population: >7B
2018 Rolex production: 1-2M

World population hasn't doubled in three past 40 years, the number of new Rolex watches being made each year has gone up 10 to 20 times.

Old 14 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #35
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

I totally agree. Not that we can do anything about it. Same experience from a London AD. But as loyal customers, It’s even more annoying!
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:46 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldraw View Post
The sticker thing is not over a year old for me. It came into force for my AD in October this year.

As for getting pi**ed about it I have every right to question it when I've spent all that money. Whether or not they still leave them on or not is upto them but it still annoys me.
Well then you've been lucky or your AD gets no traffic or has been on a Kamikaze mission all year, but in 2017 we had all the initial outrage and the threats to take them to court and start legal action and all that entitled crap that reinforces the stereotype of the typical Rolex owner. Even then I thought it was a ridiculous over-reaction when the reasons for it were obvious.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:10 AM   #37
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I have bought two gold Rolexes recently; they asked if I wanted stickers removed, and the guarantee was included. There's no serious waiting list for watches like these...although you may have to wait a few months. So I don't see what the AD is trying to achieve....you couldn't sell a 116509 at a premium. You'd make a loss....great watch though.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:44 AM   #38
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If you are going to worry and fret over a few minor everyday wearing scratches best not buy a Rolex.All these everyday wearing scratches easily rectified at normal routine service.After service watch will look like new, only to get scratched again.Trouble today Rolex watch wearers think they must pamper there watches and wrap them in cotton wool with protection from this or that.Special resting cloths and all the rest of today's paraphernalia its a watch yes its a expensive watch but just a watch meant to be worn and not sticker pampered.
I'm not worrying or fretting over a few scratches. I would just rather not have them on my watch and if I can avoid them I will.
Yeldraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:59 AM   #39
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well then you've been lucky or your AD gets no traffic or has been on a Kamikaze mission all year, but in 2017 we had all the initial outrage and the threats to take them to court and start legal action and all that entitled crap that reinforces the stereotype of the typical Rolex owner. Even then I thought it was a ridiculous over-reaction when the reasons for it were obvious.
My AD is part of the largest Rolex dealer group in the UK so I'm sure they know the rules. They are not some tiny independent store. They gave me a courtesy call in October to say about the 5% increase and the sticker removal. They have been keeping the warranty card since about January but not sticker removal until now.

Just to reiterate I'm not outraged by warranty card keeping and sticker removal as it won't stop me buying another Rolex I'd just prefer the stickers left on.
Yeldraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #40
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
sorry, no AD is going to potentially risk losing a Rolex account over plastic stickers... next year everyone will get the cards, coffin, plastic stickers and the dealers will hold the watches for a year.
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:06 AM   #41
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldraw View Post
I would hardly say useless especially the ones on the clasp. The stickers aren't really that noticeable to most people so don't detract from the watch but still offer some protection against scratches.
It takes 2 minutes to cut a piece of 3m clear protective film to protect the clasp if so desired and works 100 times better than the Rolex sticker which is designed purely for transit and display protection.

And because its designed as a protective film it does not become a breeding ground for bacteria.

I get the whole concept of leaving stickers on safe queens but not on watches that are to be worn. That's just unhygienic

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:06 AM   #42
timedate
-

i endured this bull**** when i bought mine, card being kept, and stickers being removed like i was a naughty little boy,

consumers get whatever **** they are prepared to tolerate.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #43
Chris85
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
It takes 2 minutes to cut a piece of 3m clear protective film to protect the clasp if so desired and works 100 tomes better than the Rolex sticker which is designed purely for transit and display protection.

And becasue its designed as a protective film it does not become a breeding ground for bacteria.

I get the whole concept of leaving stickers on safe queens but not on watches that are to be worn. That's just unhygienic
Agreed. The stickers Rolex puts on the clasp are crap. They start coming off almost immediately.

Btw, that's the first time I've ever said something that rolex makes is crap.

Old 14 December 2018, 03:12 AM   #44
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.mas View Post
op, spending a large amount at an ad then expecting the rules to not apply to you might be considered snobby/funny to some. Why again would the rules not apply to you? If an ad wants to continue to sell rolex, they need to follow the rules rolex lays out. The rules are for everyone. Even you.

+1.

Congrats on your watch, enjoy.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:14 AM   #45
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. The stickers Rolex puts on the clasp are crap. They start coming off almost immediately.

Are the stickers Rolex-made or outsourced? Are they even Swiss??

Not in-house stickers! FAKE NEWS!
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:17 AM   #46
rsflint
"TRF" Member

What if you're a tourist? Would they insist on keeping the card? And buying at airport duty free?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
rsflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:19 AM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

And why would Rolex make sticky back plastic or any of the other packaging stuff, Rolex makes watches and not stickers.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:21 AM   #48
Chris85
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And why would Rolex make sticky back plastic or any of the other packaging stuff, Rolex makes watches and not stickers.
That's a good question- who makes the packing materials? And the boxes? Do they have a plastic shop for making the warranty cards?

I smell a cover up.

Further investigation required to get to the bottom of this mystery!

Old 14 December 2018, 03:22 AM   #49
rsflint
"TRF" Member

What if you're tourist? Would they still insist on keeping the card? And buying from airport duty frew?
rsflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #50
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’m lucky enough that my AD has supplied me some great watches (hulk, skydweller and Pepsi this year) and has always given me the warranty card and left most stickers on - I think they’ve removed a couple. However if they did remove them all it wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m just glad I can get the watches :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:42 AM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
That's a good question- who makes the packing materials? And the boxes? Do they have a plastic shop for making the warranty cards?

I smell a cover up.

Further investigation required to get to the bottom of this mystery!

At one time the boxes were made in several parts of the world, as for the warranty cards,just like Credit cards account information is printed by the issuing bank but the making of the cards is outsourced.Same with the plastic warranty Rolex puts the information on by computer, but the making of the plastic card is outsource to a plastic card printing vendor.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:01 AM   #52
timedate
-

you spent 100k and they want to insult you
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:15 AM   #53
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Regardless of liking stickers or not and holding warranty cards as being a curb to flippers is all a facade. A waste of time that just pisses off some customers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:16 AM   #54
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It is what it is. That’s now the rules and it’s their playground as someone else said.

Looks like you’ve done well and got some lovely models. My advice is enjoy the watches and don’t stress the small details
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:17 AM   #55
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
Perhaps my intention is to put the watch in the safe and use it as a gift/inheritence for my kids.
Maybe that’s a line the Greys could use when they go shopping
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:27 AM   #56
status.six
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t mind if it actually made any difference but the reality is it’s making no impact on the secondary market so all it serves to do is irritate loyal customers, so what’s the point!
status.six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:50 AM   #57
Jay knowles
"TRF" Member

Good evening, bought my sd43 on Tuesday from authorised AD. They kept the warrenty card but all stickers in place. They know I’m not going to be selling this watch anytime soon. Jay
Jay knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:21 AM   #58
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Keep the card after purchase ?? Where's this ,UK ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:25 AM   #59
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by status.six View Post
I wouldn’t mind if it actually made any difference but the reality is it’s making no impact on the secondary market so all it serves to do is irritate loyal customers, so what’s the point!

Would you buy a watch with nothing more than a promise to get the card in 12 months?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:50 AM   #60
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Would you buy a watch with nothing more than a promise to get the card in 12 months?

Most sensible people wouldn’t, but some just get dazzled by the model and don’t think ahead
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote