The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: What should JJ do?
Forget the whole thing and keep the PO? 6 24.00%
Sell the PO and buy the Exp-II? 14 56.00%
Keep the PO and wait for a few months? 1 4.00%
Shut the F**K up! LOL! LOL! 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 September 2005, 07:45 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Tough decision - need advice and help!!

Okay guys,

You know I've always been up front with all of you....so here goes nothing!

I've been offered NZ$3,000 for my pumpkin by way of a private sale, which means I'll be taking a $500 hit (as my purchase price was NZ$3,500).

I'd have to add another NZ$2,500 for a new black Exp-II (final price NZ$5,500) so what should I do? I've given some options above. Please vote with comments. Thanks.

PS: Zemina doesn't know a damn thing about all this...so shhhhhhh!!!!!
Also bear in mind that I am most comfortable with only TWO watches at a time!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 14 September 2005 at 07:53 AM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

I think you should keep the PO, too soon to take that kind of a hit JJ.I'm sure you don't have money to burn.
Wait a while and then get the EXP II.

PS Just rang Zemina to tell her what you are thinking of doing.

At the end of the day only you can decide.Good luck with your decision.
Old 14 September 2005, 07:57 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

SD just voted "Keep the PO and wait a few months". Thanks. Problem is I really can't afford to keep THREE.

Secondly, this offer I'm getting for the PO is today. I may have to take a bigger hit further on down the line.

I want the Exp-II real bad (like a drug addict needs his 'shot')

So....H E L P!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 14 September 2005, 08:00 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller
I think you should keep the PO, too soon to take that kind of a hit JJ.I'm sure you don't have money to burn.
Wait a while and then get the EXP II.

PS Just rang Zemina to tell her what you are thinking of doing.

At the end of the day only you can decide.Good luck with your decision.
Thanks SD.

I've had the PO exactly 3½ months now. I can afford a $500 hit, but further down the line, the hit will be more and meanwhile the prices of Rolex have gone up. Mansor's is still prepared to give me the Exp-II at the previous price - same as what I had paid last year for the white dial one.

Old 14 September 2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

OK JJ, forget what I just said...... sell the PO and get the EXP II....now is that better.

Go get it, once you get that urge it's hard to fight.

I look forward to hearing all about your new purchase when I wake up tommorrow.
Old 14 September 2005, 08:02 AM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I clicked "forget the whole thing" because you'd read "wait a few months" the way a salesman reads "maybe".

Losing $500 after such a short period of time is kinda silly - if you've got that kind of money to throw around, I'm not too far from you, remember?
Old 14 September 2005, 08:03 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
I clicked "forget the whole thing" because you'd read "wait a few months" the way a salesman reads "maybe".

Losing $500 after such a short period of time is kinda silly - if you've got that kind of money to throw around, I'm not too far from you, remember?
Thanks, James....decisions, decisions.....

Old 14 September 2005, 08:09 AM   #8
----

JJ, where's the "Oh my god, here we go again!" option?
Old 14 September 2005, 08:12 AM   #9
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I personally said sell the PO and get the EXP-II. It is a fairly big hit after only 3 1/2 months but if they'll sell the Explorer and the old price I'd probably go for it. Don't listen to me though, because I know crap about cash. All I know is I get it and then spend it. If you really really have "the itch" for the EXP, then I'd go for it. It's your cash though so as they say in cheezy movies "follow your heart"

Good luck with the decision, Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Thanks, James....decisions, decisions.....
Well, JJ, I think you're going to have to factor in your $500 loss into the total figure as well, so your final cost for the E2 would be $6000, not $5500.

May I suggest origami or a less expensive hobby?
Old 14 September 2005, 08:38 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Well, JJ, I think you're going to have to factor in your $500 loss into the total figure as well, so your final cost for the E2 would be $6000, not $5500.

Very true about the price thingy on the new Exp-II; but there has been a 6% hike by Rolex Melbourne so I guess I won't be too bad off with the decision.

Also, the important thing is that the offer on the PO will NEVER come back. The PO will only depreciate further as time goes by (no pun intended). AND I'M A TWO WATCH MAN!!

JJ

Old 14 September 2005, 09:25 AM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Undoubtedly you're a two watch man, JJ - the only question is which two watches those are going to be.

Personally, I'd make a final choice and stick with it for more than just a few months, but it's a personal choice. The real question here is: are you going to get rid of the E2 in another 3 months' time, and end up losing $1000 over 6 months?
Old 14 September 2005, 09:47 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Undoubtedly you're a two watch man, JJ - the only question is which two watches those are going to be.

Personally, I'd make a final choice and stick with it for more than just a few months, but it's a personal choice. The real question here is: are you going to get rid of the E2 in another 3 months' time, and end up losing $1000 over 6 months?
Hmmm....good question. Answer is: NO!! As far as the present TT Blue YM is concerned, I've been sworn to an OATH by Zemina and both my daughters never ever to sell it. So that's that!!

As for the Exp-II, well I'm hoping to love it just as much as I love the TT YM and so that should become permanently embedded in my collection.

So that still leaves us with the elusive 2007 and what the hell's going to happen at that time. And I guess only TIME will tell!!

Old 14 September 2005, 10:02 AM   #14
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
JJ, I voted for the Exp II. If they give it to you for the old price go for it as long as the Exp II smiles at you. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 11:23 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
JJ, I voted for the Exp II. If they give it to you for the old price go for it as long as the Exp II smiles at you. =) maverick
Thanks Dennis.

How does the final price of NZ$5,500 = US$3,850 sound? Good, very good, excellent or what?

Old 14 September 2005, 11:23 AM   #16
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
After 3.5 months, it's hard to take that kind of hit. After all $500 is a big % of the purchase price of the PO....doesn't sound like a good deal to me. And we know you love the PO.....Lord knows we've seen enough pics to convince us. You've got a good pair with the TT YM and PO. Two great brands and very different watches. That being said, I love my EXPII too....DOH tough decision!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
What a question to ask me!!! How do you think I voted?

But seriously, if you can get the EXP at the old price, I wouldn't think twice. Go for it. In the long run, the $500 will seem a small price to pay for a great looking watch.

And then, we'll worry about 2007 in 2006. But for the next couple of months you can relax in the knowledge that you've got two great watches.

(Not to mention that I get that damned Pumpkin out of my hair. )

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Rockrolex

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.

How does the final price of NZ$5,500 = US$3,850 sound? Good, very good, excellent or what?
Are you kidding? That's a great price.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 14 September 2005, 11:26 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
After 3.5 months, it's hard to take that kind of hit. After all $500 is a big % of the purchase price of the PO....doesn't sound like a good deal to me. And we know you love the PO.....Lord knows we've seen enough pics to convince us. You've got a good pair with the TT YM and PO. Two great brands and very different watches. That being said, I love my EXPII too....DOH tough decision!
Agreed, Sam, it's a tough decision.

I'm just trying to do a bit of forward planning. I know I'll never ever get NZ$3,000 for the PO....probably much less down the line.

Then I have to consider the fact that the Rolex range has gone up by 6%, but Mansor's is still offering me old price as I am a very good customer of his.

If I wait, then I'll end up paying much for the Exp-II and will never get 3,000 for the PO....ever.

Sh!t, this must be the toughest decision of my life!!!

Fact: I just can't afford to hang on to THREE watches - just TWO!!

Old 14 September 2005, 11:29 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
What a question to ask me!!! How do you think I voted?

But seriously, if you can get the EXP at the old price, I wouldn't think twice. Go for it. In the long run, the $500 will seem a small price to pay for a great looking watch.

And then, we'll worry about 2007 in 2006. But for the next couple of months you can relax in the knowledge that you've got two great watches.

(Not to mention that I get that damned Pumpkin out of my hair. )
LMAO!! Thanks, Ed, I would have expected only such a reply from you, but I think it's a good, supportive reply. Glad you also find the price for the Exp-II a good one.

I have here a double situation - get rid of something that will depreciate even further later on and then grab something that will be available at a higher price.

Old 14 September 2005, 11:38 AM   #21
Rockrolex

Quote:
LMAO!! Thanks, Ed, I would have expected only such a reply from you, but I think it's a good, supportive reply. Glad you also find the price for the Exp-II a good one.

I have here a double situation - get rid of something that will depreciate even further later on and then grab something that will be available at a higher price.
I think you have your answer there. I seriously doubt the Pumpkin will hold its value as much as the EXP will. Omegas are good, but the orange is a fad and will go out of favor when the next colour du jour comes along.

I would grab the EXP at the old price. You'll already have made money on it at that point (not that you would ever sell it ).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 14 September 2005, 11:55 AM   #22
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
LMAO!! Good point James.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 12:04 PM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Okay baldie here goes my take on the situation.

You are going to end up with the EXP II, no doubt in my mind, you lost at least $500 when you walked out the door.That is the history of Omega watches, they just lose their value quickly. You will not get this chance again, so take it now and go.

Crawl to Zemina and tell her you have seen the err of your ways and that you will apologize to all of your friends here for all the "bright" pics.

Then send Ed a check to cover part of his therapy bills from his fear of orange.

I really think you have a chance for a great deal here JJ, you asked our thoughts, and my thoughts are just what I said, sell and buy.

May the force be with you.

Old 14 September 2005, 12:13 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

LMAO at Ed's therapy bills!! Thanks anyway for your input, Daren.

Old 14 September 2005, 12:14 PM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Hey JJ, you MONKEY, that was my one serious post of the month damnit.

Old 14 September 2005, 12:18 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Okay now, which 3 tossers asked me to shut the F**K up??

Old 14 September 2005, 12:20 PM   #27
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I did, but that was after I voted, LOL!!

Old 14 September 2005, 12:21 PM   #28
mike
"TRF" Member

Hey JJ,
I say sell the PO and get the EXPll,at that price that's a good deal.
Besides you didn't lose 500.00,you just "rented" the PO.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 12:21 PM   #29
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
JJ if I had a PO, I'd pay someone $500 to take it off my hands.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 12:22 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
JJ if I had a PO, I'd pay someone $500 to take it off my hands.
LMAO!! You tosser!!