The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 January 2018, 10:08 AM   #31
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
I think some of the previous posters are so worried about you, that they are not reading your notes carefully.
Sounds like you’re meeting face-to-face, at an AD, who can pop the back, and check legitimacy. Pay the guy $100, and bring a nice cab.
If I’ve read you correctly, go for it! Hell... I’m jealous!
(BTW, you didn’t post how much you’re paying, so share it, please! I’m not interested in offering more or an shenanigans like that, but it’ll be good to see the crazy premiums starting to come down, if they are.)
Good luck, and send us the wrist pic, OK?
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 10:10 AM   #32
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
I’m not interested in offering more or an shenanigans like that, but it’ll be good to see the crazy premiums starting to come down, if they are.)
There is not a chance the premiums are coming down for the white 116500; you can check WatchRecon for verification of that. This is either a great deal for the OP or some shenanigans... tough to know without any idea on background of the seller.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 10:10 AM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
buy the seller first.

I am skeptical on this.

good luck.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 10:18 AM   #34
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
If you have to ask us, you're already over your head.

Don't do it.
Bingo.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 10:43 AM   #35
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
If you must do this deal, it needs to be done at the RSC...

Honestly, why wouldn’t he just take it to 47th St if he only wants a small premium? He could obviously get it there... so why is he selling it to you at the same price that he can obtain from a reputable grey (which would be an easier transaction for him), doesn’t make sense to me and you’re flying a little close to the sun, IMO.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #36
77T

Quick legit check on 116500LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I think best option is a face to face deal at RSC. They can verify movement and make sure it’s not listed as stolen.

Also if that all works out I would not let the watch out of your sight don’t leave the building etc. that prevents a bait n switch.

This is the best strategy since the seller will balk if the watch is bogus for either of two reasons: fake or stolen. By telling the seller where you’ll meet for the reasons of validation + theft registry check, he’ll find some reason to balk if either is a problem.

If all is OK, you’ve dodged a big bullet. And as crazy as it sounds, leave the watch with the RSC for “regulation”. (Yeah I know it might not need it, but just an extra step like belt & suspenders)

That eliminates one last risk: a cohort trying to heist it from you once you merge from the RSC and back on the street. You can always come back in a few days to fetch the freshly regulated watch.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:25 AM   #37
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
I think some of the previous posters are so worried about you, that they are not reading your notes carefully.
Sounds like you’re meeting face-to-face, at an AD, who can pop the back, and check legitimacy. Pay the guy $100, and bring a nice cab.
If I’ve read you correctly, go for it! Hell... I’m jealous!
(BTW, you didn’t post how much you’re paying, so share it, please! I’m not interested in offering more or an shenanigans like that, but it’ll be good to see the crazy premiums starting to come down, if they are.)
If everything works out I'll post the price lol! I'm definitely going to be extremely careful. If I get even the slightest weird vibe I'm walking away.
Old 22 January 2018, 11:33 AM   #38
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Best of luck on this deal. Keep us posted as it sounds like you’re going forward with this.
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:36 AM   #39
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

Honestly, why wouldn’t he just take it to 47th St if he only wants a small premium? He could obviously get it there... so why is he selling it to you at the same price that he can obtain from a reputable grey (which would be an easier transaction for him), doesn’t make sense to me and you’re flying a little close to the sun, IMO.
Yeah this was one of the first things that went through my head as well but I have nothing to lose by meeting up with him. It's either a good deal for me or a scam. I won't have to hand over anything before finding out which it is. Any kind of hesitation at meeting at the AD and no deal. I'm going to call the AD where it came from first thing tomorrow.
Old 22 January 2018, 11:43 AM   #40
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That eliminates one last risk: a cohort trying to heist it from you once you merge from the RSC and back on the street. You can always come back in a few days to fetch the freshly regulated watch.

I hadn't thought of this at all but anything is possible. I doubt the guy would meet me at all if this were the case. He would be on camera. Much easier to pull this off with someone more naïve. I got burned when I was a teen a couple of times. One thing that is always a red flag is when a seller offers to buy you lunch, a drink or anything really. That's a textbook confidence scam.
Old 22 January 2018, 11:52 AM   #41
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
It’s an optical illusion because of the sub rings. I compared mine and noticed it. It’s been discussed before with other members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would love to have the set one day. When they were introduced, I fell in love with the white one. So many watches and sports watches in general I want have black dials and the Daytona is one of the only ones where the white dial works so well. However, I have tried on the black and I have to say it made me doubt which one I wanted more. While I still prefer the white dial, I would honestly take either.

If this falls through, no big deal. I'll keep looking and waiting. I passed on a black one before the summer for $15.5k because I really wanted the white one and spent most of the fall regretting that decision when I saw prices go even higher.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:12 PM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Thanks a lot! This is what my gut feeling was. Now I just have to make sure the guy is 100% willing to meet me at a bank or AD. No funny stuff and no shipping.
Make sure you have his details too. And post pics when you can.

Also run the chronos and check it all works.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:25 PM   #43
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Yeah this was one of the first things that went through my head as well but I have nothing to lose by meeting up with him. It's either a good deal for me or a scam.
Well, I assume you will have a large sum of cash on your person, so technically you would have something to lose if things were to go completely sideways (i.e. you get robbed).
It is not unheard of for thieves to post up for sale ads with high-dollar/high-demand items with the intention of robbing those who come to purchase them.
Their willingness (or lack thereof) to meet and do the transaction at an AD or bank should be a good initial barometer on the deal.

Before even wasting your time with a meet-up though, you might simply request a specific pic of the watch from the seller to confirm that he does in fact have it in his possession.
Have him text you a pic with the watch set to a specific time, with one pusher unscrewed, etc. Shouldn't take any time at all to snap one on their phone and text it over.
Speaking of which, assuming you already have the seller's phone number, you might verify that it's legitimate and not a VOIP/Google Voice number.

Also, as mentioned previously, be aware of the potential bait-and-switch scams. Some are more nefarious (and potentially expensive) than others.
For instance, one could post pics of a legitimate ceramic Daytona, but bring a high quality fake when meeting in person.
Or, they could post legit pics, but bring an older model that's had an aftermarket ceramic bezel installed, etc., etc.

All that being said, good luck and be sure to post pics if you get it!
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:29 PM   #44
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Make sure you have his details too. And post pics when you can.

Also run the chronos and check it all works.
Definitely. I'll check how the crown feels when winding, how the pushers unscrew, etc. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. It's human nature to be suspicious of strangers but there are still good, honest people out there and I hope this dude is one of them. Would love to finally get this watch.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:34 PM   #45
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
It would be almost impossible for a fake to replicate the Rolex stickers, but as poster above mentioned, you may not receive the watch in the pics.

Make him set the time to 7:11 and run the chrono to 52 seconds and send you a pic with his name and date on a sticky note. That can verify he actually has the watch.
I'm not sure why you chose those number, but I like them!
Old 22 January 2018, 12:44 PM   #46
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
just be aware, they make copies of these that are almost impossible to tell now... ive seen them here in KL and the ONLY difference is the thickness of it.
Markings,layout and functions are identical... right down the case stickers.... even the new boxes are almost impossible to tell
so make sure you are 100% sure as everyone else has said
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 01:03 PM   #47
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
Meeting at an AD is not going to work because AD’s frown upon secondary traction’s at their store and would you really want an AD opening up the case back on your watch as the seller or buyer? Meeting at a RSC is the best solution for your situation.

The seller can sell it to a trusted reseller on this forum and make a profit of 4k plus profit so why would he sell it slightly over his cost? Doesn’t really make sense to me, market value on a fully stickered white dial is going to be over 17k so if he is selling it for substantialy less then you really have to evaluate the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 02:07 PM   #48
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Spend the money and buy one from a reputable seller here. It’s worth the money spent. Do it once and do it right. Seller is abroad, you are about to get ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 03:37 AM   #49
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

What was the outcome on this one?
Old 23 January 2018, 08:23 AM   #50
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Well, I assume you will have a large sum of cash on your person, so technically you would have something to lose if things were to go completely sideways (i.e. you get robbed).
It is not unheard of for thieves to post up for sale ads with high-dollar/high-demand items with the intention of robbing those who come to purchase them.
Their willingness (or lack thereof) to meet and do the transaction at an AD or bank should be a good initial barometer on the deal.

Before even wasting your time with a meet-up though, you might simply request a specific pic of the watch from the seller to confirm that he does in fact have it in his possession.
Have him text you a pic with the watch set to a specific time, with one pusher unscrewed, etc. Shouldn't take any time at all to snap one on their phone and text it over.
Speaking of which, assuming you already have the seller's phone number, you might verify that it's legitimate and not a VOIP/Google Voice number.

Also, as mentioned previously, be aware of the potential bait-and-switch scams. Some are more nefarious (and potentially expensive) than others.
For instance, one could post pics of a legitimate ceramic Daytona, but bring a high quality fake when meeting in person.
Or, they could post legit pics, but bring an older model that's had an aftermarket ceramic bezel installed, etc., etc.

All that being said, good luck and be sure to post pics if you get it!
Well guys here is the current status of this situation. I unfortunately missed his calls and messages in the morning since I went to bed really late watching the Djokovic/Chung match. I’m a huge tennis fan and I just have to watch these matches live. Excellent match btw! I probably won’t go through with this deal. I received both phone calls from NYC as well as messages with a ton of photos through WhatsApp. The problem: The images came from a broker in the UK. I’m assuming London. That most likely means that this would be some kind of escrow transaction and given that we’re talking about this particular watch, this is just not a risk I’m willing to take. A broker is a very bad sign since if the watch is in London they can easily get £16k+ for it in London and would not go through the trouble of shipping it abroad.

Again the watch in his/their possession is legit, but that does not mean that I would receive it if I would receive anything at all.

I’m waiting for another response to confirm the watch is indeed here in NYC. If not, I have already told him it would be an immediate dealbreaker. All of you are right. We all know what this watch is going for. While what he’s asking is not chump change, it’s still a substantial amount that I’m not willing to risk. I’m still on a reputable waiting list at Wempe with order papers. That may mean I have to wait a couple of years but eventually I will get one from them. I will also be frequently traveling to Europe this year since my father is sick and I can attempt to source one while over there.

I’ll keep you guys posted. I’m still going to see what he says but as of this moment it doesn’t look like I will go through with it.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:31 AM   #51
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

The problem with modified 520s is a very good point. I have seen them on 47th street along with genuine 500s and honestly it is hard to tell the difference especially when the work is done properly. This would require removing the bracelet to verify the reference among other things. It’s a damn shame this watch is so problematic. If only Rolex supplied their ADs with just a little more supply. There are so many people willing to buy this watch at retail and they’re leaving money on the table just to create more hype. I’ve found that people who’ve had more success acquiring them without being VIPs have gotten them from ADs in smaller markets. I’ve come across people who have acquired both at retail without any relationship with the AD. A lot of luck is obviously involved.

Rolex is basically using the nightclub tactic. Holding the door with long lines outside the “hot” club and when you get in it’s at half capacity. I’ve been there and done that. Paying ridiculous amounts of money for a table and bottles. Now that I’m older, I wouldn’t waste my money with this sort of rubbish anymore.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:35 AM   #52
77T

Sounds like you’ll skip this deal based on the watch not being “in hand” in the US.

I agree - skip it. For one thing, the deal under those circumstances would mean someone shipping it through Customs - very sketchy IMHO.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 08:52 AM   #53
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Yeah. Quick look on Chrono24 and the lowest a stickered white 500 is going for is nearly $21k. No one is going to leave thousands on the table. It’s a shame. I simply wouldn’t pay anywhere that amount for a modern steel Rolex. There are so many nice, mint-condition 16618s and other PM watches available in that range as well as stuff like blue dial Royal Oaks. The 500 will eventually hover at or slightly above retail after a decade just like the previous version after the hype dies down and other new releases take the spotlight. Rolex will definitely be releasing lots of highly coveted references throughout the next decade. Who knows what they may release at Baselworld.

I’ll remain patient and keep an eye out for a good deal that isn’t problematic. I may even get one from the AD which is honestly what I would prefer. I would love to have my name on the card along with the original bill of sale. And honestly when you’re paying retail or above that’s the way it should be. If one can get something for a good discount then it doesn’t really matter but when paying full price or above I think it does.
Old 24 January 2018, 11:22 AM   #54
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

I've decided not to waste anymore time with this. It's just too shady. I'm certain that at least two people are involved and as mentioned many times above, a white 500 can be rather easily sold for $18k and over if the person is not in a rush. No one is going to leave money on the table out of the kindness of their heart. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. When something is too good to be true, it will be the case 99% percent of the time.
Old 25 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #55
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've decided not to waste anymore time with this. It's just too shady. I'm certain that at least two people are involved and as mentioned many times above, a white 500 can be rather easily sold for $18k and over if the person is not in a rush. No one is going to leave money on the table out of the kindness of their heart. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. When something is too good to be true, it will be the case 99% percent of the time.
Wise move, I'd be very skeptical of any white 500 under $18k stickered.

Shoot, even worn and in good condition I'd be skeptical under $16,500 - $17,000.

Looks like almost everything has started to tick lower (maybe except the SD43, which has remained relatively stable), while the white 500 continues going upwards.
Old 25 January 2018, 03:36 AM   #56
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
It would be almost impossible for a fake to replicate the Rolex stickers, but as poster above mentioned, you may not receive the watch in the pics.

Make him set the time to 7:11 and run the chrono to 52 seconds and send you a pic with his name and date on a sticky note. That can verify he actually has the watch.
the real stickers have to fall like apart or like dissapear when u putt them off right?
why impossible to false this?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 04:23 AM   #57
Thathorologist
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys,
I found a good price on what I've been waiting a long time for. Maybe a little too good (relatively small premium) considering the usual market price and being unworn with stickers and everything.It's from abroad but the card matches the serial on the rehaut. They look legit. However, even though I have enough experience to identify most fakes, what I've seen coming out lately has freaked me out. I've never owned a Daytona but have tried them on of course. IMO it's authentic. The font looks right to me but I'm aware of the 3 and 9 subdial spacing issue on fakes. For some reason the white ones look like the subdials are further from the markers than the black dial versions. I guess it's an illusion. Not the highest res photos, but let me know what you think. The watch won't last long and I have to make up my mind within the next day or 2. I'm really fed up of waiting for the AD to hook me up. Thanks!

OP be careful!! There was someone here who scammed a member for $17,000USD for the exact same watch. Scammer’s name is Corey Heffren he is known to the law enforcement for drug offences and charges and he has found a sweet way to professionally scam members. He uses proxy so he always goes undetected.
Stay safe. If it’s too good to be true it’s definitely is not true!
Thathorologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #58
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thathorologist View Post
OP be careful!! There was someone here who scammed a member for $17,000USD for the exact same watch. Scammer’s name is Corey Heffren he is known to the law enforcement for drug offences and charges and he has found a sweet way to professionally scam members. He uses proxy so he always goes undetected.
Stay safe. If it’s too good to be true it’s definitely is not true!
Wow, I had no idea people were even being scammed on this forum. This is really terrible. I can’t even begin to imagine how it must feel to lose that kind of money. Unfortunately, there are some really unscrupulous people out there. Things like this cause distrust that affects legitimate sellers and is bad for everyone.

As has been mentioned above, unfortunately counterfeiters are now producing fakes that are very hard to spot. You really need to use a lupe or magnification to see the imperfections that are not visible to the naked eye. I know the fakes will always have thicker cases but this is something that will only be noticeable to people who own Daytonas or have handled lots of them. In the near future this will be a watch that will have to be purchased from an AD or physical stores and sellers with immaculate reputations.