The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2010, 09:04 AM   #121
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Have some bad news and some good

All,
As I have brought you all into my love life, or search for love, I just got some crappy news.

I was told she is: attractive, funny, intelligent, 5 years younger than me (not a big deal to me honestly), slim, about 5'4", comes from an honorable family, has long hair (love that), college degree, and works for a Chinese Bank, of which we have at least two that I know of here in Atlanta. I kept wondering why she had not called me or emailed me yet? Busy, out of town, not interested??? NO. Remember she works for a Chinese Bank? Well.......... IT'S IN CHINA !!!!

My Chinese "matchmaker" MAYBE could have disclosed that little nugget?? And no, I don't have time to jump on a 23 hour plane ride to introduce myself to her, nor deal with Visa issues, etc., etc.

On to plan B: There is a large Chinese church here in Atlanta, and I had lunch with the pastor, he said to come to services this Sunday, as he knows some single women, and would be happy to introduce me to them as his friend, he really is a nice guy for doing this, and we had a great lunch just talking. So..... I'm going to church this weekend.

So that's the update in my saga so far for you guys.

All I can say is damn............
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 10:43 AM   #122
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Sorry, why would one goto church looking for gf? People go to church to worship.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 10:56 AM   #123
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Don't say that in the church...
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 10:56 AM   #124
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Sorry to hear things didn't work out as planned. On the bright side, you have collected enough dating tips to publish a novel, and they should hold you in good stead. It doesn't matter where you meet the girl, even if you have to club an unsuspecting innocent in a dark alley. Just have fun with it!
Old 23 January 2010, 11:03 AM   #125
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I am just curious..is there a specific reason you are looking specifically for an Asian lady? It didn't sound like you were Asian from your post sounding like you didn't know what type of cutoms you should follow.

If you really want to meet someone and fall in love, be open...it shouldn't really matter today what color, or culture or religion someone belongs to. It should only matter that the two people like each other and are interested in a relationship.

I think church is a great place to meet someone IF (and a big IF) you are religious. But, going to church to pick up dates, especially if you are not religious sounds a bit odd.

People need to have a common ground to make relationships. You want to find someone who has something in the same interests as you and if you don't go to church, findinga girlfriend who is devout might not be a really great match.

Just my two cents.....this whole thread is a bit odd and if I was your prospective date and read all this I would probably run away, screaming. Just RELAX and something will happen when it is supposed to happen.
Old 23 January 2010, 11:07 AM   #126
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
Holy Chihuahua, Rafael!

While you're at it, why not just throw breadcrumbs in the park, and encourage your date to fight the pigeons for them?
Hehehehehe
Old 23 January 2010, 11:07 AM   #127
azone5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
? Well.......... IT'S IN CHINA !!!!

My Chinese "matchmaker" MAYBE could have disclosed that little nugget?? And no, I don't have time to jump on a 23 hour plane ride to introduce myself to her, nor deal with Visa issues, etc., etc.
Your matchmaker forgot Matchmaking 101: Location, Location, Location

What a bummer after her build-up. Major disappointment.
Old 23 January 2010, 12:56 PM   #128
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

To any lady just tell her you know JJ "the ladies man" and you are all set...
Nothing wrong with going to church and getting to know the ladies in a biblical manner
the Thread reminds me of Densha Otoko a Japanese Drama about a guy asking for dating advice in a Bulleting Board System BBS. It was a huge success in Japan.
Old 23 January 2010, 05:12 PM   #129
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Well, I am a little disappointed, as I am sure you were. I was hoping that you would find "the one" with this blind date.

I hope the church event works out for you ! Let us know.

Something to keep in mind - most of my friends who were single, found "the one" when they were not looking hard. "The one" just appeared by fate itself.

Good luck to you !!

Quote:
All,
As I have brought you all into my love life, or search for love, I just got some crappy news.

I was told she is: attractive, funny, intelligent, 5 years younger than me (not a big deal to me honestly), slim, about 5'4", comes from an honorable family, has long hair (love that), college degree, and works for a Chinese Bank, of which we have at least two that I know of here in Atlanta. I kept wondering why she had not called me or emailed me yet? Busy, out of town, not interested??? NO. Remember she works for a Chinese Bank? Well.......... IT'S IN CHINA !!!!

On to plan B: There is a large Chinese church here in Atlanta, and I had lunch with the pastor, he said to come to services this Sunday, as he knows some single women, and would be happy to introduce me to them as his friend, he really is a nice guy for doing this, and we had a great lunch just talking. So..... I'm going to church this weekend.

So that's the update in my saga so far for you guys.

TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 05:26 PM   #130
inspires
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Hi David,

Sorry here the bad news, but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

Don't look too hard, as I find the harder you look the less it seems you will find what you're looking for. I'm sure the right person will find you and when the time comes you will know.

In the meantime, just keep networking and meeting new people. If you need any advice we're here for you buddy.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 23 January 2010, 11:49 PM   #131
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Sorry to hear about that David. It sounds like your "matchmaker" was trying to find an American husband for this lady so she can move to the US. This is very common.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 01:14 AM   #132
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
I have never met her before, this is a blind date set up by a Chinese friend that thinks we are compatible. I will send pictures if all goes okay, I promise! As to date, last night my friend said she was going to call her to give her my contact info, she tried Friday, but she was out of town. She wants to give her the choice as to call me or not, I guess. She is very excited to be acting as matchmaker for us, apparently it's an honor in Chinese culture, at least she said she felt honored to be asked by me. Fingers crossed.

To: openwheelracing,
Yes, chop sticks, Mandarin, no problem. And after everyone has written in, NO Chinese place, unless she says that is what she wants, Atlanta has lots of other fine places to go to. I will let everyone know.

David

David..bring her to a Japanases Restuarant or any asian Resturant but just not the one shes been eating her entire life...Chinese love to eat Japanese Food also..Take her to a Hibachi Place where they cook infront of you...Chinese loves Vietnamese food also and maybe Thai....Just be simple..Dont wear you rolex..she might say.."I like your watch a lot of them back home really cheap" Keep us updated David..when is it gonna be??
Old 24 January 2010, 01:15 AM   #133
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
David..bring her to a Japanases Restuarant or any asian Resturant but just not the one shes been eating her entire life...Chinese love to eat Japanese Food also..Take her to a Hibachi Place where they cook infront of you...Chinese loves Vietnamese food also and maybe Thai....Just be simple..Dont wear you rolex..she might say.."I like your watch a lot of them back home really cheap" Keep us updated David..when is it gonna be??

You just jump in to the bottom of any thread and reply?
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 01:30 AM   #134
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Old 24 January 2010, 01:47 AM   #135
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
You just jump in to the bottom of any thread and reply?

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 06:17 AM   #136
Atl

Thank you all!

All,
I truly believe this post has run it's course for now. Thanks for the laughs, advice and care. If something happens, I'll let you know.

To those wondering about the church idea, this is the church I was raised in, but over the years, has grown into a mega-church. They have three churches in one: Baptist, biggest service, a Chinese church, and a Korean church, all on the same campus, so it might have sounded odd, but I hope this explains the logic/idea better. Mom always said if you want a good girl, find her in church.
Have I gone to church lately? No, but going back and getting involved again might be a very good thing for me. Am I ONLY going to church to troll for women, again no, but the Chinese pastor offered to introduce me to a few women he knows are single, and I am not going to refuse his offer, I thought it was very kind of him. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but it's a shot, no harm no foul.

To those that though a potential mate would be turned off by reading this post, it was not meant for that. It was: educational, fun, and some posts were absolutely stomach-hurting laugh out loud! This post was only meant for my fellow watch freak friends.

As to why a Chinese woman, I find them gracious, intelligent, elegant, and thoughtful. I have dated a Chinese woman in the past, and I am smitten. That's just me, others like other women for other reasons, and I respect that. My dad says that's why they make Fords and Chevys !

Thanks to all of you.

David
Old 24 January 2010, 06:18 AM   #137
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Sorry to hear about that David. It sounds like your "matchmaker" was trying to find an American husband for this lady so she can move to the US. This is very common.
Totally believe you are right.
Old 24 January 2010, 06:21 AM   #138
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspires View Post
Hi David,

Sorry here the bad news, but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

Don't look too hard, as I find the harder you look the less it seems you will find what you're looking for. I'm sure the right person will find you and when the time comes you will know.

In the meantime, just keep networking and meeting new people. If you need any advice we're here for you buddy.

Cheers,

Eric
Thank you Eric, that was very kind of you.
Old 24 January 2010, 06:23 AM   #139
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Totally believe you are right.

Here's an idea.

Why don't you get together with Paul in San Diego and maybe between the two of you, you can come up with a "How to meet a girl" plan.
Old 24 January 2010, 06:28 AM   #140
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Sorry, why would one goto church looking for gf? People go to church to worship.
I agree, people go to church to worship, but they all get together for lunch afterwards at the church, that was when he was going to introduce me to the members and make some introductions to one or two single women members he knows. I would NEVER interrupt someone's worship, or worship service to ask them out. Make sense? As to "why go to church to find a girlfriend?" Why not?
Old 24 January 2010, 06:32 AM   #141
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post

I prefer the Mall, that's were they all are.
Old 24 January 2010, 06:36 AM   #142
figbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
I prefer the Mall, that's were they all are.
For our age group Leo,I'll recomend the Salvation Army's thrift shop!

p club member #9
Old 24 January 2010, 06:37 AM   #143
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbo View Post
For our age group Leo,I'll recomend the Salvation Army's thrift shop!

Who wants to date a woman your own age?
Old 24 January 2010, 06:41 AM   #144
figbo
"TRF" Member

They have young ones too!

p club member #9
Old 24 January 2010, 06:43 AM   #145
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbo View Post
They have young ones too!

I believe you.

Never been to one.
Old 24 January 2010, 09:42 PM   #146
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Wing Man

If you live in ATL I know 1st hand there are some lovely local ladies there..... perhaps you need a wing-man to aid in your search.

A few fun friends, socializing, and networking are good ways to meet a lassie.

A little advice from years ago when I was single...... don't think too hard, don't try TOO hard, relax be yourself..... as posted earlier in this thread there is no "trick" or "formula" for this sort of thing...... and that is why it is so beautiful........ and believe me when you find "the-one" you will know it...... it will hit you like a ton of bricks...... not at the knees only.... but all over.... the right woman can bring out the best in a man......... the wrong woman can destroy a man.... (I digress :) :)...

Good luck on your search ..... which is as old as mankind...... be patient, be picky, pay attention, and practice too...... it is OK to practice before your sign a contract :).....
betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 01:52 AM   #147
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
If you live in ATL I know 1st hand there are some lovely local ladies there..... perhaps you need a wing-man to aid in your search.

A few fun friends, socializing, and networking are good ways to meet a lassie.

A little advice from years ago when I was single...... don't think too hard, don't try TOO hard, relax be yourself..... as posted earlier in this thread there is no "trick" or "formula" for this sort of thing...... and that is why it is so beautiful........ and believe me when you find "the-one" you will know it...... it will hit you like a ton of bricks...... not at the knees only.... but all over.... the right woman can bring out the best in a man......... the wrong woman can destroy a man.... (I digress :) :)...

Good luck on your search ..... which is as old as mankind...... be patient, be picky, pay attention, and practice too...... it is OK to practice before your sign a contract :).....

Take me Bet! Take ME with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 02:43 AM   #148
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

As some have said, expanding your social network is a great way to meet "Miss Right". When I was a single guy, many years ago, I had offers to "hang out" with many friends and colleagues, who brought me to events where single ladies were gathered. I met and dated a lot of single ladies this way, but did not meet my future wife this way (that is another story, for a future post !)
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 02:49 AM   #149
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
Holy Chihuahua, Rafael!

While you're at it, why not just throw breadcrumbs in the park, and encourage your date to fight the pigeons for them?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 03:27 AM   #150
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Married 20 years this October and I do NOT miss dating for one minute

Had a blind date once who shoved handfuls of bar potato chips into her mouth, left the crumbs all over her shirtfront, and ordered a shot of whiskey with her white wine.

We were driving 2 cars to dinner from the bar- and I just kept driving.....