The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2016, 12:33 AM   #1
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Great time to be a Panerai fan!

If you truly like the Panerai brand, and don't just follow trends like a sheep, now is the best time in the last 15 years to be a Panerai fan!
The choices are amazing, the prices are reasonable, and the watches are actually obtainable.
Up until recently, the average collector could not get the SE or hot watches without spending waaaay over retail. Now, the brand is making more pieces with historic ties and most can be had at a discount.
For someone like me who has been following the brand for over 15 years...this is a great time.
The history, look, and the DNA of the brand has not changed. I guess I'm just glad that some of the hype has passed....now I can buy some of the watches that I have wanted for many years because they are actually affordable again!
That's all...just wanted to say that. Enjoy your day.

Now I just need to wait for the vintage Rolex bubble to burst!
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 01:42 AM   #2
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
I agree. If you like Panerai watches now is a great time to buy.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:05 AM   #3
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The DNA? Sorry will have to disagree and you are right on the other points!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:20 AM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great time to be a Panerai fan!

I bought a 312 earlier in the year. Decent price on a new watch.

The used ones I've seen all seemed to be lacking bits here / there... I don't care for LEs so not really any "bargains" from my POV.

I really did miss Panerai in the rotation after selling my 111... Nice to be back in the fold.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:40 AM   #5
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
The DNA? Sorry will have to disagree and you are right on the other points!
What exactly do you disagree with? I'm not stating that all of their pieces tie into the historic DNA, what I'm saying is the same pieces that had DNA in the past still have it at a cheaper price !
For example, people used to love the 127 when it cost $25,000, why in the world wouldn't you like it now for half the price?
Old 7 September 2016, 06:35 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Despite some of the more obvious recent missteps, I have to agree.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 09:39 AM   #7
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
What exactly do you disagree with? I'm not stating that all of their pieces tie into the historic DNA, what I'm saying is the same pieces that had DNA in the past still have it at a cheaper price !
For example, people used to love the 127 when it cost $25,000, why in the world wouldn't you like it now for half the price?
Sorry, I misread your comment. You are right the watch is pretty much he same
Old 7 September 2016, 09:44 AM   #8
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Yes hype is over and thus, prices lower and better to buy to HOLD. Liquidity premium is going higher if you need to sell.

Anyone want to sell me a 212 at 4.5k? :-)
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

I guess I have only owned "pedestrian" PAMs.

Nothing > 3 zeros in the price tag!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:11 AM   #10
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I agree best time to collect Panerai! Buy and wear it in good health!
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Some of the pieces that I used to feel were too far gone are now realistic again...
009, 002, 249, to name a few. I already picked up a 232....incredible watch at a great price!
Even the newer stuff is unbelievably cheap now...you can get a like new 372 for half of retail! Crazy!
I'm actually considering selling some of my other brands to pick up more.
Good stuff
Old 7 September 2016, 10:22 AM   #12
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Some of the pieces that I used to feel were too far gone are now realistic again...
009, 002, 249, to name a few. I already picked up a 232....incredible watch at a great price!
Even the newer stuff is unbelievably cheap now...you can get a like new 372 for half of retail! Crazy!
I'm actually considering selling some of my other brands to pick up more.
Good stuff
1/2 off MSRP... wow.. that is getting rock bottom. I might have to go look for one now.
Old 7 September 2016, 12:18 PM   #13
DONGinsler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
now is the best time in the last 15 years to be a Panerai fan!
Your right about choice, however

15 years ago. A used Panerai was about $1500

My two Panerais cost me less than the price of a new base Logo today

If I knew this. Would have scooped up a pile of them

9BT and G Series Logo

DON

DONGinsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 01:27 PM   #14
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Any time is a good time to own a PAM as far as I'm concerned. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if I'd discovered the brand sooner, I think I'd have a couple less Rolex in my collection and a couple more Panerai.

I'm now waiting for the 372 with sapphire glass but I'm not optimistic of much of a discount. That said, I'm buying to keep and wear, not to flip so I couldn't care less about future value as long as the boutique does something for me

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:47 PM   #15
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post

9BT and G Series Logo

DON

I couldn't agree more
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:55 PM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

9BT and G Series Logo

DON

Great point on pricing...I guess the same could be said for any brand with all the "strategic" price increases. Watches like a 372 that can be had for under $5500 with in house moevement though....not too shabby.
Old 8 September 2016, 12:26 AM   #17
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

9BT and G Series Logo

DON

Many years ago, someone questioned the authenticity of my zero that I sold. When I show the movement on risti's for everyone to view and opine, you were the first to point out it was indeed a real Panerai movement. I never forgot about that. I just wanted to thank you again for your sense of doing the right thing by all and for all.

Thank you Don and yes, lovely pairing here indeed.

Sincerely,

Fred/NJ
Old 8 September 2016, 01:55 AM   #18
GregBe
"TRF" Member

I fully realize that none of us have a crystal ball, but anyone have any thoughts if this trend will continue? I agree it is a great time to buy now, but not if the brand continues to trend in this direction. I have always like Panerai and recently purchased a 000. I actually like them even more now that they are not as trendy...just want to make sure that my money doesn't go into a brand that falls off the face of the earth in 5 years.
GregBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 03:18 AM   #19
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBe View Post
I fully realize that none of us have a crystal ball, but anyone have any thoughts if this trend will continue? I agree it is a great time to buy now, but not if the brand continues to trend in this direction. I have :always like Panerai and recently purchased a 000. I actually like them even more now that they are not as trendy...just want to make sure that my money doesn't go into a brand that falls off the face of the earth in 5 years.
Panerai will be fine in 5 years no worries there are here to stay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 8 September 2016, 06:13 AM   #20
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBe View Post
I fully realize that none of us have a crystal ball, but anyone have any thoughts if this trend will continue? I agree it is a great time to buy now, but not if the brand continues to trend in this direction. I have always like Panerai and recently purchased a 000. I actually like them even more now that they are not as trendy...just want to make sure that my money doesn't go into a brand that falls off the face of the earth in 5 years.
Like you said, nobody has a crystal ball, but I don't feel they produced enough to continue the downward trend. They produce very few watches even today, when compared with brands like Rolex. Also, the investment they have made in the movements and boutiques says a lot.
Some of these things tend to be cyclical, whether it be cars or vintage Rolex. They have all gone through periods of price increase and downward spiral's. For some reason people feel more comfortable buying during the upward momentum, but the time to buy is actually at the bottom.
You don't see me trying to buy a Paul Newman Rolex for a quarter of a million that nobody wanted 25 years ago. Dealers couldn't even sell them, and now they're getting ridiculous money...
Old 8 September 2016, 06:33 AM   #21
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Perhaps in the US and other parts of the world where you can get a good deal at ADs. But here in Vancouver, the best I could get from ADs is 15% discount. ADs here offer more discount on Rolex - as much as 19% on SS sports models.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 06:37 AM   #22
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
The grey market and used market have great deals. Not good for the consumers looking to sell but great for the buyer who doesnt care for the resale price. Have a PAM 359 wanted to get rid of it but the trade/used sale market is rough and just isn't worth it. Guess ill have a pam in my collection for a long time. Till i find a good enough offer.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 08:24 AM   #23
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

^^ PM me with what is "good enough"
Old 8 September 2016, 10:54 AM   #24
JParm

Watch: Yes!
It is indeed a great time to buy, however I feel that Panerai is more on the level of Tag Heuer these days; more respected in the past and much more of a fashion statement than anything else. While they have stayed true to their heritage in terms of case size and shape, the ridiculous number of "LE's" and different permutations of essentially the same design has muddled the brand, IMHO.

I've owned the 88 and still own the 359, and while I love both watches, I've definitely lost a lot of respect for the brand as a whole. That, and the cult-like fanaticism that some have shown on other forums, has been more of a turn off than I could have ever expected.
Old 8 September 2016, 11:14 AM   #25
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
It is indeed a great time to buy, however I feel that Panerai is more on the level of Tag Heuer these days; more respected in the past and much more of a fashion statement than anything else. While they have stayed true to their heritage in terms of case size and shape, the ridiculous number of "LE's" and different permutations of essentially the same design has muddled the brand, IMHO.

I've owned the 88 and still own the 359, and while I love both watches, I've definitely lost a lot of respect for the brand as a whole. That, and the cult-like fanaticism that some have shown on other forums, has been more of a turn off than I could have ever expected.
Well, this is an interesting perspective. My respect for the brand increased when the company started producing in-house movements. At the same time, I share your sentiment when it comes to fanatics or the utilization of Panerai watches as an odd fashion statement. We'll see what happens.
Old 8 September 2016, 12:16 PM   #26
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You own an 88 and 359...so why do the excessive LE's and small design changes affect you at all? You have two regular production watches, so it isn't like you had a 249 and were mad that they made more California dials.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just seems like a lot of people make this general statement these days without having a reason behind it.
Also, I'm pretty sure all of these watches have some degree of "fashion" right? I mean people buy $50,000 watches that don't tell as good of time as their cell phone. I think the in house movements keep them from being a total fashion piece like a B&R for example.
Old 8 September 2016, 12:50 PM   #27
nick c
Banned

Quote:

There is no way in hell that panerai the same level as tag Heuer
Old 8 September 2016, 01:07 PM   #28
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
You own an 88 and 359...so why do the excessive LE's and small design changes affect you at all? You have two regular production watches, so it isn't like you had a 249 and were mad that they made more California dials.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just seems like a lot of people make this general statement these days without having a reason behind it.
Also, I'm pretty sure all of these watches have some degree of "fashion" right? I mean people buy $50,000 watches that don't tell as good of time as their cell phone. I think the in house movements keep them from being a total fashion piece like a B&R for example.
I let go of the 88 prior to obtaining the 359. With the similarity of the cases, I didn't find it necessary to own two very similar watches (to me). As you can see in my signature, I like variety, with the closest watches being the GMT and the Black Bay.

Like I stated, all of the recent releases have muddled the brand in my opinion, not just the limited editions. Even I, as a follower of Panerai, can barely tell the difference between models, let alone the average watch buyer. Change one word here, put the seconds on the opposite end there, and now you've created 3 different watches? Give me a break. As others have said in other posts, Panerai really needs to take a look at their marketing angle, as they've diluted the brand with so many similar offerings.

Again, just my opinion, but when you look at resale values and just how far they've come down, it makes it seem like none of their watches are special or truly limited editions due to all the iterations that end up looking like copies of one another.
Old 8 September 2016, 08:48 PM   #29
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

^^ couple things I would say here...
The very brand whose forum we are on (Rolex), has many watches with only very minor variations. GMT, Sub, Yachtmaster, Seadweller, etc...
Different dial , or bezel and viola! New watch. Then you look at brands like Tag Heuer or Omega...50 different versions of the Speedmaster or Monaco. Many are numbered limited editions with only a color variation or caseback engraving
Furthermore, with respect to flooding the market, Rolex makes tens of thousands more watches annually than Panerai...relative to brands like Tag and Rolex, Panerai still has VERY low production.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but I just don't see it...for some reason people wanted Panerai to stay ultra exclusive, but in reality it is a business...no different than the other brands in your signature.
Look at your "Tudor Black Bay" for goodness sake...a fashion watch if there ever was one. They have made every color other than purple at this point....
Old 8 September 2016, 09:01 PM   #30
Cru Jones

Quote:
^^ couple things I would say here...
The very brand whose forum we are on (Rolex), has many watches with only very minor variations. GMT, Sub, Yachtmaster, Seadweller, etc...
Different dial , or bezel and viola! New watch. Then you look at brands like Tag Heuer or Omega...50 different versions of the Speedmaster or Monaco. Many are numbered limited editions with only a color variation or caseback engraving
Furthermore, with respect to flooding the market, Rolex makes tens of thousands more watches annually than Panerai...relative to brands like Tag and Rolex, Panerai still has VERY low production.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but I just don't see it...for some reason people wanted Panerai to stay ultra exclusive, but in reality it is a business...no different than the other brands in your signature.

x2!!!! all good points (well, your tudor comment was a bit harsh IMHO, so, i didn't quote that part ).

anyway, yes, now is a good time to be a panerai consumer. but, it's always been a good time for haters to hate on panerai. ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote