The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 July 2005, 04:53 PM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
GMT2 16710 review

This is my newest acquistion, I bought this watch 2 months ago to fill the void in my collection of a multi timezone watch. The natural choices were the Omega and the Rolex of course as I prefer watches that can take a beating, call me rough or clumsy I like to be able do to whatever I want with my watches and not have to worry.

In anycase my final decision is this F serial GMT2 red/blk bought brand new from a AD here in Toronto. I chose the red/blk partially because of Bruce S and all the pics he had posted in the past on another forum.

MOVEMENT

This watch utilizes a modified version of Rolex's workhorse the 3135. The 3185 movement differs in 2 main areas, the quick set date function has been removed in favour of a quick-setting hour hand which jumps in one hour increments. The other thing is of course it has a 24 hour hand that can be independently adjusted from the regular hour hand. It is not as simple as it sounds to set the watch but I will get into this later.

The 3185 movement (GMT2) differs from the old 3075 movement (GMT) in that the 3075 has a quickset date function, but the 24 hour hand is not independently adjustible. Therefore, a second timezone can only be set via the rotating bezel.

(Please correct me if I am wrong on info about the GMT movement info as I am more familiar with the GMT2's 3185 movement)

After a couple of months of use my watch is running +2 a day and I have no problems with this at all.

LOOKS and FEEL.

Overall the watch has a nice feel to it, it is lighter than my SD but heavier than my DJ. The case of the watch is as wide as the SD but is thinner than the SD while being larger than the DJ. It is fitted with a SS Oyster bracelet which I find gives the watch a perfect look and feel. Many complain about Rolex's bracelets but I have no probs with it. The watch is availible in 3 bezel choices. All black, red and black, and also the classic Pepsi (Red and Blue) I chose the Red/Blk because it stands out enough for it not to be confused with a Submariner, yet not too loud that it gets too much attention. The dial and hands are typical Rolex Professional, easy to read, no BS.

One area that ppl complain about is the twinlock crown. Many feel that this crown is too small for watches fitted with crown guards, although it would be nice to see the triplock crown fitted on the Sub and SD I dont find the crown too bad to work with. NOTE: the Anniversary edition GMT2 has been fitted with the Triplock crown so its only a matter of time before Rolex starts putting it on the TT and SS models.

Even Optimus Prime likes it

SETTING THE WATCH.

Now like I said this watch's 3185 movement loses the usual quickset date function that is found on all modern Rolex date models. This movement allows adjustment of the hour hand in one hour increments, this also allows the date to be adjusted in a semi quickset fashion. To adjust the date you will have to move the hour hand (in one hour jumps) backwards or forwards up to 24 times to change the date. This is the only movement in Rolex's line up that allows the date to be set backwards.

To adjust the red 24 hour you must move the minute hand until the desired hour is reached on the red 24 hand.

To set the watch, you must first use the minute hand to set the 24 hand and the proper minutes. Then set the hour hand to the desired local time.

A third timezone can be tracked by using the bi-directional bezel.

Thanks for reading.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Roger, if all it takes to determine the bezel color for you is to post a bunch of pictures, I would be happy to oblige. Let me show you why black is beautiful, my friend:

I mean, it doesn't get any better than that now.

P.S. In case you hadn't figured it out, this is my favorite watch of all time.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 02:45 AM   #3
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Great review Roger, but I'm still confused as to what the red hour hand does.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 03:33 AM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
Great review Roger, but I'm still confused as to what the red hour hand does.

Tyler

Its like we have said, its a red 24 hour hand but it moves one full circle around the dial every 24 hours as opposed to the regular hour hands 12 hour circle. This extra hour hand shows another timezone. The GMT2 is a multi timezone watch.

HTH
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2005, 04:39 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent review, Roger, thanks.

I've had the distinct pleasure of owning the GMT as well as the GMT-II in the past. I've had three in all - the first being the pepsi bezel, then the red/black bezel and finally the all black bezel like Ed's.

Great all round practical watch to own and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who so wishes to buy one. Go ahead....you won't be disappointed.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2005, 09:27 AM   #6
aelred
"TRF" Member

Just got my first Rolex on Wednesday, a GMT II, same as what Rockrolex has posted pictures of.

Quick impressions: Very comfortable. I like the smaller clasp on the GMT, even compared to the clasp on my SMP, as I'm a desk jockey and find it a bit less obtrusive under the wrist when I'm typing. The GMT seems to be about the perfect size for me, and while I do like physically bigger watches, this seems to exude a nice presence. Then again, that could be me staring at it all day. :)

It seems to be very subdued. I kept my eyes open to see if anybody noticed it or did a double-take today, nary a one. Maybe it's the proliferation of "active" watches with dive bezels at work, who knows.

I was originally a bit worried about the 24H hand making the dial seem cluttered, but I find it unobtrusive. The red of the hand isn't annoying, and the triangle-shaped pointer seems to blend in nicely amidst the hour markers.

The only thing I'm reserving judgement on for now is the cyclops. While I find the date very readable and convenient, I think the face is magnificent on it's own without the additional lense. I'm going to reserve judgement until I've worn this a while longer.

And my bezel and GMT hand is setup correctly. :)
aelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2005, 05:46 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Congrats, Scott, on an excellent acquisition. Now all we need is a nice picture!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 15 November 2005, 08:53 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent review Roger

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2005, 11:36 PM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelred
Just got my first Rolex on Wednesday, a GMT II, same as what Rockrolex has posted pictures of.

Quick impressions: Very comfortable. I like the smaller clasp on the GMT, even compared to the clasp on my SMP, as I'm a desk jockey and find it a bit less obtrusive under the wrist when I'm typing. The GMT seems to be about the perfect size for me, and while I do like physically bigger watches, this seems to exude a nice presence. Then again, that could be me staring at it all day. :)

It seems to be very subdued. I kept my eyes open to see if anybody noticed it or did a double-take today, nary a one. Maybe it's the proliferation of "active" watches with dive bezels at work, who knows.

I was originally a bit worried about the 24H hand making the dial seem cluttered, but I find it unobtrusive. The red of the hand isn't annoying, and the triangle-shaped pointer seems to blend in nicely amidst the hour markers.

The only thing I'm reserving judgement on for now is the cyclops. While I find the date very readable and convenient, I think the face is magnificent on it's own without the additional lense. I'm going to reserve judgement until I've worn this a while longer.

And my bezel and GMT hand is setup correctly. :)
Somehow I missed this thread since your posting, Scott. Congratulations on acquiring one of the most beautiful sport watches made (and that's a completely objective opinion, mind you ). I know what you mean by constantly staring at it. I've had mine for nearly two years and never get tired of looking at it. Enjoy it and wear it well.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2005, 04:19 PM   #10
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II review By Roger

Nice review and great pics mate. I hope to get one exactly the same soon with the rouge/noir lunette.

I had an Omega with 24 hour (GMT)hand and it was even more complex to set the time. Also, I found the bezel on the Omega was not that easy to read due to the way in which they had divided the segments of 24hrs. I always set the GMT hand on UTC because of my pastime of aircraft monitoring. Before I retired, I regularly traveled the Pacific Region and to CONUS, so I got used to UTC as a reference still used by my former employer. Where I live now there is no seasonal time changes, so I don't need to move the bezel.

Rolex GMT Master I consider to be the best of the best multi time zone watches. Congrats and wear it in good health!

Tardis
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2005, 03:15 PM   #11
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
i almost bought another one recently, but bought a Sub-date instead. Mine was the same as yours, dk. red/black. I played tennis with it thru college, might not sound too bad, until you understand I am left handed, so the watch got a pounding being on my raquet hand. Also, learned how to snow ski with it in Vermont, fell down alot! Even dropped off of a two story balcony. Ran like a top. I didn't even service it for the ten years I had it, didn't know you had to!! It was given to me after H.S. graduation, and before I knew who much it costs (had no idea!), and how special these watches are. I just thought it was a nice watch, Eighteen, and ignorant I guess.
I will take my new Sub scuba diving, but no tennis,it totally gets babied!
I now wonder how that GMT II survived??? Still have fond memories of that watch.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 09:44 AM   #12
dff3

Watch: 1978 Explorer II
The first Rolex I ever owned was a Red/Blue GMT in the mid 70's. And I must admit it still throws me a little to see any GMT without the Red and Blue bezel. I gues that's more of you can't teach an old dog...

Yours is a real beauty. Great good luck.
dff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 02:38 AM   #13
Matric
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II red seconds hand?

I am about to purchase a 16710 but noticed that in the US at least the seconds hand is red while in Canada and on the Rolex website, the hand is green. Anyone know the reason for this. First thought was that the reds were fakes.

Also is it worth hanging on to my Submariner SS 16800 bought in the 80's or trading it in on the new watch. Is it likely to increase in value or is it just too common to ever be a collector item.
Matric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 02:40 AM   #14
Matric
"TRF" Member

Red Seconds Hand

Sorry, I meant hours hand.
Old 8 October 2007, 03:10 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matric View Post
Sorry, I meant hours hand.
The model pictured above is the older model with the RED 24-hour hand. This model is slowly being phased away and being replaced by the new model with the ceramic bezel and GREEN 24-hour hand.

JJ

Old 9 October 2007, 08:24 AM   #16
Matric
"TRF" Member

Red Hour Hand

Thanks JJ Irani. Great forum.
Old 17 October 2007, 05:36 AM   #17
bigmikebee
"TRF" Member

good stuff
bigmikebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2007, 02:29 AM   #18
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
I have a Pepsi Z series I bought in March of this year.

Its an extremely functional, comfortable and beautiful watch. The finish of the bling-edge of the bezel is more pronounced in my opinion on the GMT than it is on my Sea Dweller, giving it a different look.

A fantastic watch, congratulations!

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2007, 04:21 AM   #19
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Great review Roger, that sounds like quite an added bonus with the third time zone option.
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2007, 07:36 PM   #20
G.J
"TRF" Member

Excellent work...
G.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2007, 12:22 AM   #21
Peter Hightower

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price point of the piece ? and did they have a new Pepsi bezel in stock, or the new ceramic bezel type ? I'm close to Toronto
Cheers
Peter Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2007, 08:41 AM   #22
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
You have excellent taste Roger.... just recently picked up MY
1st...

dwaine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2007, 08:57 AM   #23
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Nice review. There still many of them available here in greece
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2007, 11:06 AM   #24
vitacura
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watches!
vitacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2007, 11:12 PM   #25
miner
"TRF" Member

Not often you see a two year old post re-surface. Must be a good watch.

I'm biased of course..

WHOA Just hit 1K posts.. watch out JJ here I come..

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 08:32 AM   #26
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Still one of my favs. Had to let her go a little while ago, but will replace her soon! =)
Old 2 December 2007, 08:24 AM   #27
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Good review, thanks. I had one back in 1990 and the date mechanism failed three times in a year. Ended up back with the AD but I think I was extremely unlucky. It's a fantastic and iconic watch and the GMT that everything else is compared to. Enjoy.
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2007, 09:38 AM   #28
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
I had one back in 1990 and the date mechanism failed three times in a year.
Interesting The DD I had was less than a year old when something inside failed...sound like a snap..stopped cold dead. The AD had it repaired under warranty...the year was 1990.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2007, 11:52 PM   #29
progolferv1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTc
great piece but I think that i ma going to trade mine for a gmtc
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2007, 01:19 AM   #30
FanFromLakeMary

Please forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread. But has anybody found a reliable source for a Pepsi bezel? I have the black bezel, and may want to change it out
FanFromLakeMary is offline   Reply With Quote