The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 June 2019, 05:25 PM   #1
miket-nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
Is 3035 movement beefier than 3135?

I've been reading about various movements, and I saw an article comparing the two, and it suggests that the 3135 isn't an improvement in all areas over the 3035, because the autowind mechanism on the 3135 was made lighter and more sensitive so sedentary people would get better winding and the reserve would be greater. But the lighter parts are more delicate and can be damaged, especially if the watch isn't serviced regularly enough.

Is my understanding correct here? I'm not sedentary and how long a watch can sit without being wound isn't important to me because I basically never taken them off. (I have several watches, Swiss and Japanese, but I'm sort of a serial monogamist with watches, wearing each one for months at a time). I'm toying with getting a Submariner 16800, which has the 3035 movement.

Mike Taglieri
miket-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:12 PM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i have never seen any such claim?

The current updated movement is the 3235, I have read it may not be quite as robust as the 3135 in some ways.
Old 8 June 2019, 06:32 PM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

The 30xx family was manufactured with a service interval of five years. The 31xx is now boasting a service interval of 10 years (as is the 32xx though it has not been around long enough to see if it attains this - though there is no reason to doubt it).

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a watch that contains a 30xx, 31xx, or 32xx as they are all robustly constructed.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:42 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The 30xx family was manufactured with a service interval of five years. The 31xx is now boasting a service interval of 10 years (as is the 32xx though it has not been around long enough to see if it attains this - though there is no reason to doubt it).

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a watch that contains a 30xx, 31xx, or 32xx as they are all robustly constructed.
Good to know Scott
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:51 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

The 3135 is not 'more delicate' than a 3035 or vice versa. Like Scott said, don't worry about it, they're all good.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:45 AM   #6
miket-nyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
i have never seen any such claim?

The current updated movement is the 3235, I have read it may not be quite as robust as the 3135 in some ways.
I should have mentioned the article I was talking about.
You will find it if you Google "Rolex caliber 3035 vs 3135"
(without the quotes).

I don't know much about the subject, but the author of this piece is a watchmaker and seems to know what he's talking about. (Though he does say the problem with the newer movement happens only with watches that are worn a lot and neglected). I like the old style Sub case better, so I'm not interested in the ones with the latest movement.
Old 9 June 2019, 03:26 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket-nyc View Post
I should have mentioned the article I was talking about.
You will find it if you Google "Rolex caliber 3035 vs 3135"
(without the quotes).

I don't know much about the subject, but the author of this piece is a watchmaker and seems to know what he's talking about. (Though he does say the problem with the newer movement happens only with watches that are worn a lot and neglected). I like the old style Sub case better, so I'm not interested in the ones with the latest movement.

My personal experience was a submariner worn for 20 years as an each and every day daily wear, it had 2 service visits during that time and the watch movement never failed me.
Old 10 June 2019, 12:47 PM   #8
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

Thanks for that. It's nice to hear from someone with at the very least a modicum of insight on a subject. I also must point out that you just swung your 1000th post. thanks and congrats.
axnjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 02:35 PM   #9
miket-nyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
Thanks for that. It's nice to hear from someone with at the very least a modicum of insight on a subject. I also must point out that you just swung your 1000th post. thanks and congrats.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I want a Sub but I don't like the appearance of the new Sub cases, so it's got to be an older Sub. It's nice to know all of these movements are robust enough that if I find a good example, I won't be disappointed later on.
Old 10 June 2019, 06:34 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn’t even noticed

Glad my 1000 was in the WatchTech sub forum. Seems right
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote