The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 June 2019, 01:13 PM   #1
rodayroday
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803
1972 Vintage Rolex 18K YG Day-Date 1803 Champagne Dial

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing the above watch from HQ Milton.

This would be my first vintage piece and had a few questions. The leather strap is not genuine Rolex - where can I purchase one with Rolex hardware at the lock part of the strap? If I went to get this serviced at RSC in NYC would they give me a 2 year warranty card? Also this does not have box and papers - not worried about authenticity, but would try and search from an old day date box to create a set for myself.

Any ideas/input would be so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rodayroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 02:40 PM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The RSC most likely wont touch it because of its age and if they do decide to then they will swap out the original parts for service parts which will hurt its overall value. I would recommend having it serviced by an independent.
Old 26 June 2019, 03:55 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

....not necessarily true. Worth taking it in. They will definitely supply a genuine strap and buckle at reasonable cost if you purchase a gold plated buckle and extortionate if you purchase solid gold.
Old 26 June 2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Hi Scott,

I also have a 1803 from 1972, good choice , but in WG and with presidential bracelet.

I think Wempe in NY is a good Rolex AD and you can purchase a Rolex leather strap and you can ask for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodayroday View Post
Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing the above watch from HQ Milton.

This would be my first vintage piece and had a few questions. The leather strap is not genuine Rolex - where can I purchase one with Rolex hardware at the lock part of the strap? If I went to get this serviced at RSC in NYC would they give me a 2 year warranty card? Also this does not have box and papers - not worried about authenticity, but would try and search from an old day date box to create a set for myself.

Any ideas/input would be so helpful!

Old 27 June 2019, 04:31 AM   #5
Rodayyy
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Thanks Thomas.

I have gotten all of my watches new from Wempe - I know Manuela & Michael well.

I was under the impression that they do not sell genuine Rolex leather straps? I would hope for an option that has the gold rolex logo buckle. I cannot seem to locate - on ebay they look fake lol.

I am also on the hunt for a box, manual, calendar etc to create my own little set. Any help there would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
Hi Scott,

I also have a 1803 from 1972, good choice , but in WG and with presidential bracelet.

I think Wempe in NY is a good Rolex AD and you can purchase a Rolex leather strap and you can ask for service.
Rodayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 06:14 PM   #6
Rodayyy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
....not necessarily true. Worth taking it in. They will definitely supply a genuine strap and buckle at reasonable cost if you purchase a gold plated buckle and extortionate if you purchase solid gold.

This worked perfectly. They quoted me service for free - I purchased an alligator strap along with the plaque buckle (14k gold was $900); I also went with gold spring bars over stainless steel.

Old 29 June 2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Woody
"TRF" Member

That looks very nice - good buy.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:05 AM   #8
Rodayyy
Banned

Can anyone assist in letting me know if the hands and markers are service parts?

Is there any way to tell? The Crystal is so clear, I assume that was replaced from service. I know that the RSC is saying the tritium hands are flaking and need to be replaced - the second hand as well.

The dial has become creamy and faded, I love it.

I wonder if I can have them just do a full service and leave the dial, Crystal, hands. The only thing I would replace is the crown, for obvious reasons (they recommended this as well - you can tell the gears are ground down)

What would you all recommend? This is my first vintage piece, I wouldn’t sell - just curious on what others would do.

Old 3 July 2019, 05:25 PM   #9
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Vintage is not my special subject.

But ...

The dial is obviously tritium - You can see the "Blobs" and the dial is marked with there T

The hands .. They look like Luminova to me. If they are then they were changed for newer ones during a service probably.
I don't think Rolex can supply tritium anymore.

Try Lighting up the dial at night and seeing if there is a clear difference in the Lume.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Rodayyy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
Vintage is not my special subject.

But ...

The dial is obviously tritium - You can see the "Blobs" and the dial is marked with there T

The hands .. They look like Luminova to me. If they are then they were changed for newer ones during a service probably.
I don't think Rolex can supply tritium anymore.

Try Lighting up the dial at night and seeing if there is a clear difference in the Lume.

Thanks for the input, Charles!

When I shine my iPhone flashlight for a bit and remove, the smaller dots around the dial and the hands both faintly light up and fade away within seconds.

Is it possible these are newer tritium hands before 1998? I feel is Luminova they would be glaring in the dark. Unless I shine my flashlight on, nothing glows...

Old 3 July 2019, 08:45 PM   #11
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodayyy View Post
Thanks for the input, Charles!

When I shine my iPhone flashlight for a bit and remove, the smaller dots around the dial and the hands both faintly light up and fade away within seconds.

Is it possible these are newer tritium hands before 1998? I feel is Luminova they would be glaring in the dark. Unless I shine my flashlight on, nothing glows...

From what I have seen in the past ... Tritium does NOT last all that long. Its starts life as being pretty efficient at glowing but with age looses it's "Power"

I seem to recall that Tritium, under a loupe, looks like a "Paste" was applied but Luminove looks more like a crystallised smooth paint NOT very scientific I know.
Tritium always seems to look pale yellow in daylight and Luminova far more white . Again NOT very scientific.

I think when a watch goes in for service the crown gets changed automatically.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 11:49 PM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodayyy View Post
I also went with gold spring bars over stainless steel.
Good move. You have to have gold spring bars with an 1803. Steel ones are harder than the gold case, so will carve out the spring bar holes over time. Result: ruined case.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote