The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
deedee8

went to buy a new rolex today...but have a question

i went to mayors today to buy a brand new ladies datejust..but when i asked about the series letter i was told that this was not important at all...the salesperson said there was no way to know it without taking the band off but that i shouldnt be worried about it and that a rolex representative would tell me the same thing...is this true? should i not be concerned with what it is if the watch is brand new? thanks
deedee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:15 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee8 View Post
i went to mayors today to buy a brand new ladies datejust..but when i asked about the series letter i was told that this was not important at all...the salesperson said there was no way to know it without taking the band off but that i shouldnt be worried about it and that a rolex representative would tell me the same thing...is this true? should i not be concerned with what it is if the watch is brand new? thanks
Well, the sales person is wrong!!

As a customer who's about to buy a brand new watch, you do have the right to know that you are getting the latest series, i.e. V or possibly even M.

Every Rolex watch comes with a green hang-tag which will have the full serial no. on it starting with the series letter.

The knowledge some of the Rolex sales staff are equipped with would just about fit on the back of a postage stamp!!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:28 AM   #3
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
If the watch is new, you can see the series 'letter' in the rehaut of the watch. You might be getting a Z series. It will still be new. Is mayors a Authorized Dealer?
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:29 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
I've replied to this same question in another thread you started up!! Why two threads for the same question?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
1. no need for them to take the band off - if they have the warranty card, it says everything on that! If you were buying second hand without paperwork, sure, it's a band-off check, but if they're an AD, they're lying saying you have to take band off. They can check in 1 minute.
2. If it's not the latest, still OK to buy, just that you may be able to leverage a slightly better price from them.
3. If it's important to you to have the "latest" series, then it's important, full stop.
4. Go somewhere else to buy it.

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
deedee8

sorry i posted it here by mistake ..but appreciate all your help :)
Old 19 July 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
JJ is right, the salesperson is wrong... The watch is sold by it's serial number, so you and she/he would know it immediately..

However, they are correct in that it shouldn't really matter.. Rolex considers any watch "born" when it is purchased, and so, if the watch has the features you want, it shouldn't make any difference to you..

Now, having that behind us........ There are some folks who will insist on culling through the serial numbers and only buying from a Dealer if they can find the very latest serial number prefix that they are aware of... It is mostly a personal preference thing..... I assure you, your wirist, or your friends will not know the difference.
Old 19 July 2009, 09:10 AM   #8
lm21

Watch: Breitling+Rolex
The thing that gets me...

Quote:
...is these salespeople who tell you what you should or should not be concerned about. If I'm the customer and I'm concerned about the serial number, then just tell me the freakin' serial number already! Don't give me some spiel about what I should or should not be concerned about, just address the concerns that I do have.
lm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Matchbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm21 View Post
...idon't give me some spiel about what i should or should not be concerned about, just address the concerns that i do have.
x2!!!
Matchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 04:58 PM   #10
SecretSauce

Watch: 16610
These guys are just trying to pull a fast one. As mentioned, the serial number is on the tag, warrenty card and their inventory list and is in fact of interest to any serious Rolex buyer. It tells you if the watch was delivered relatively recently or not. I would never buy without knowing the serial nr - the dealer knows this too but is probably trying to get rid of old inventory. That or the person was seriously ignorant - either way, take your money elsewhere.
SecretSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 05:02 PM   #11
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Sure sounds like the salesperson just wants to sell old watches at current MSRP or just wants to sell the old watches first!! I would not buy a watch without first knowing the serial number.

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post
Sure sounds like the salesperson just wants to sell old watches at current MSRP or just wants to sell the old watches first!! I would not buy a watch without first knowing the serial number.

Allan

Maybe that's true or maybe this is yet another instance of a less than knowledgeable salesperson.
Old 19 July 2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Yep. An AD in my hometown just sold a friend of mine an F...

Yes I said F serial number Air King. That's a five year old watch! Ready for a service! The nerve! No discount too. Weak.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 07:26 PM   #14
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
Maybe that's true or maybe this is yet another instance of a less than knowledgeable salesperson.
That would be scary! A salesperson working at Rolex who knows very little about Rolex watches! Not even knowing the meaning of serial numbers. Is this the glimpse of what to come?

Allan
Old 19 July 2009, 07:28 PM   #15
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
Yep. An AD in my hometown just sold a friend of mine an F...

Yes I said F serial number Air King. That's a five year old watch! Ready for a service! The nerve! No discount too. Weak.
I would tell your friend to return it or demand a discount. To me, that is sad when an AD takes advantage of customers.

Allan
Old 20 July 2009, 02:23 AM   #16
deedee8

i called the salesperson back but conveniently she was with a customer and has yet to return my call...but when i get the series letter from her how do i then know what yr that would be from? she assures me the watch is brand new....
Old 20 July 2009, 05:04 AM   #17
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i called the salesperson back but conveniently she was with a customer and has yet to return my call...but when i get the series letter from her how do i then know what yr that would be from? she assures me the watch is brand new....
The watch might be brand new but an old model.

Check this out for more information: Rolex Serial Numbers by Year

Allan
Old 20 July 2009, 07:37 AM   #18
RolexCat

Watch: SD
Yeah you should get the latest Ser# unless theres a discount. I bought my Omega SMP from Jareds, it was old, passed around stock from another dealer. I didnt know, and this was my frist swiss watch. Ron
RolexCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I've replied to this same question in another thread you started up!! Why two threads for the same question?
Not everyone is that smart like you JJ so it only needs one thread.

Why nearly 59000 posts? Of course, if you stop answer the same question in 2 threads so you
should only have made 29500 posts.

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 09:03 AM   #20
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I must be the odd one out here. She should know the serial number but the production year is no big deal really. Some people put too much store in it, but a Rolex is not like an apple - it doesn't go off. Nobody is going to give you a discount because it's last year's serial. Anyway the serial does not tell you when the watch was assembled and tested, it only tells you that date the empty case was stamped out. the bracelet code is probably a better guide. Personally, I would not be too concerned.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 11:43 AM   #21
eddiehkg
Banned

Watch: SS Submariner
go to another AD. i am sure there should be some trusted AD in Florida.
eddiehkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 11:55 AM   #22
brietlingman

Watch: Sea Dweller
Which Mayor's in what city? If Sanford Mall, I would tell you to speak with Brooke. If you were at the Mall at Millennia, speak with Jason. Both of these folks are very knowledgeable, and really cater to WIS.

If you were elsewhere in this great State, I can't help you ....

Cheers!
Bill
brietlingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 10:07 AM   #23
deedee8

the series letter turns out to be a k..which i looked up and it says 2001 so i dont understand it being "new".... i ended up getting 40% off on the price because she said its been with the store 2 yrs give or take, but now im not sure how great the whole thing is if the watch is older than i thought even if its considered new...i need some help here :)
Old 21 July 2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Harvey58
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub Champ Serti
Try going to park prominade at the millenium mall and ask for Pam, she is very nice and very knowledgeable. She will take good care of you.

TT Sub Champ. Serti Dial "M"
SS Sub-C "G"
Harvey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 11:41 AM   #25
SecretSauce

Watch: 16610
This is exactly what I thought earlier. They have been sitting on the watch for years and are sick of having customers turn it down when they hear that its from 2001. That's probably, IMHO, why they were stalling on giving you the serial nr. You need to decide if you are ok with it anyway. As pointed out, the warranty starts from the day you buy it. However, I still think the store behaved badly by initially keeping the info from you...
SecretSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 11:58 AM   #26
deedee8

should the fact that it has sat around have more of an impact on the price? and it also makes me think that if they couldnt sell it in all this time i will most likely have the same problem if i had to sell it
Old 21 July 2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Pure nonsense on part of the salesperson.

I--unlike others that I respect--care about the series letter. I personally like some better than others.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 12:11 PM   #28
deedee8

is there a way for me to find out if there are changes in the watch from k to the newest series letter?
Old 21 July 2009, 12:35 PM   #29
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Not everyone is that smart like you JJ so it only needs one thread.

Why nearly 59000 posts? Of course, if you stop answer the same question in 2 threads so you
should only have made 29500 posts.

Jocke
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 03:33 PM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
is there a way for me to find out if there are changes in the watch from k to the newest series letter?
Depends on the model.. In most cases, the "upgrades" were done to the precious models first; possibly because they do tend to be in the system longer.

About the only thing that the newer Ladies DJ may have that a K will not have is the ROLEX engraved around the rehaut (inside flange under the crystal). In practical use, it is unnoticeable and irrelevant....

40% off is a very good deal, especially if you like the watch..

However, you should not buy anything if your first concern is what you can get for selling it.... unless that is your sole purpose, of course..