The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 October 2022, 01:04 PM   #1
elric_of_melniboné
"TRF" Member

Freshly serviced watch running slow, AD says it's fine, local watchmaker says no

I got my Rolex Explorer 114270 back from RSC a few weeks ago. In the first week or so, the watch was running at zero to +1 sec/day. On the second week, the watch suddenly went to -3 seconds/day. I thought maybe the watch needed more time to settle down so I just kept wearing it.

On the third week, it was still the same -3 seconds/day. I got a bit concerned at this point so I took it to my local Rolex AD. They said everything is normal. I asked them to put it on a timegrapher and they refused. They said there's no need because it's a freshly serviced watch and there is nothing to worry about.

So I took my watch to a local watchmaker and they were happy to put it on a timegrapher. Here are the results (rate err, amp, beat err):

DU: -3s/d, 231°, 0.0
DD: -2s/d, 252°, 0.0
CD: +4s/d, 211°, 0.1
CL: -1s/d, 207°, 0.0
CU: -2/d, 225°, 0.4

The local watchmaker said the amplitude numbers are quite low and my watch needs servicing even though I just got it back from RSC.

Is the AD correct in saying everything is fine? Or do the numbers indicate something wasn't properly done and I should return it?
elric_of_melniboné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 07:10 AM   #2
Ron P
"TRF" Member

measure again after 24 hours, Rolex specs state 200 degrees minimum. CL position will be most likely below 200 degrees. Show the printout to your AD , else contact the RAC directly?
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 08:07 AM   #3
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Min amplitude of 200 yes and generally not over 300, but after a fresh service my experience and in the forums is generally very close to 300. I'd also be unsatisfied with the rate.

I recently had a 16570 from 1999 serviced. Ran great for a couple of weeks then started losing massive amounts of time. AD wanted me to do some more tests. I tests and said I wanted it sent back. Rolex returned watch several weeks later saying there was nothing they could find! But issue is resolved.

If you need to be polite but forceful then be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 07:21 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elric_of_melniboné View Post
I got my Rolex Explorer 114270 back from RSC a few weeks ago. In the first week or so, the watch was running at zero to +1 sec/day. On the second week, the watch suddenly went to -3 seconds/day. I thought maybe the watch needed more time to settle down so I just kept wearing it.

On the third week, it was still the same -3 seconds/day. I got a bit concerned at this point so I took it to my local Rolex AD. They said everything is normal. I asked them to put it on a timegrapher and they refused. They said there's no need because it's a freshly serviced watch and there is nothing to worry about.

So I took my watch to a local watchmaker and they were happy to put it on a timegrapher. Here are the results (rate err, amp, beat err):

DU: -3s/d, 231°, 0.0
DD: -2s/d, 252°, 0.0
CD: +4s/d, 211°, 0.1
CL: -1s/d, 207°, 0.0
CU: -2/d, 225°, 0.4

The local watchmaker said the amplitude numbers are quite low and my watch needs servicing even though I just got it back from RSC.

Is the AD correct in saying everything is fine? Or do the numbers indicate something wasn't properly done and I should return it?
Did this so called watchmaker do the test on machine with movement mainspring at peak power -reserve.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 11:00 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this is happening and if it is a problem for you then your AD should test the watch. I would go back in and have the conversation with the SA and ask again to have the watch tested. If they say no then it is the manager and up the line. If still no test then out them here as that is but another example of poor customer service for a test that only costs them a few minutes of time. I would make sure the AD does what they are suppose to do or it would be time to move on. You can always contact RSC and submit the watch yourself. My preference depending on the nature of the service. It is possible that RSC never saw the watch and an onsite tech worked on it or they sent it to an outside repair shop. This happened to me years ago from a now out of business AD when they said they submitted a Daytona for warranty work and it turned into a mess where an inhouse tech messed the watch up before it was finally sent to RSC and 20 weeks later it finally turned back up. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 11:04 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum, I hope you get this sorted
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 07:57 AM   #7
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
The amplitude is too low, after 24hr those numbers would be okay. Important to remember that Rolex states 200 degrees MINIMUM at 24hr, virtually no watchmaker would be happy for a watch to be at 200 after 24hr.
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 05:22 PM   #8
elric_of_melniboné
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Did this so called watchmaker do the test on machine with movement mainspring at peak power -reserve.
Yes. I saw him wind the watch for awhile before putting it on a timegrapher.
Old 8 November 2022, 05:29 PM   #9
elric_of_melniboné
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
You can always contact RSC and submit the watch yourself.
I wasn't aware we can skip the AD entirely and send watches directly to an RSC. Thanks!
Old 8 November 2022, 05:29 PM   #10
elric_of_melniboné
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum, I hope you get this sorted
Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope so too!
Old 8 November 2022, 05:35 PM   #11
elric_of_melniboné
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex tom View Post
The amplitude is too low, after 24hr those numbers would be okay. Important to remember that Rolex states 200 degrees MINIMUM at 24hr, virtually no watchmaker would be happy for a watch to be at 200 after 24hr.
I hadn't thought of measuring the watch again after 24 hours. The numbers I posted earlier were measured after a full wind so some of them will most likely end up under 200° if measured again after 24 hours :

I'll get the watch checked out again 24 hours after a full wind. Thanks for the tip!
Old 17 November 2022, 11:25 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

This watch should not have left RSC with those readings! No way a 3130 will be above 200 degrees minimum when you have those values at 0hrs.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 12:11 AM   #13
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
This watch should not have left RSC with those readings! No way a 3130 will be above 200 degrees minimum when you have those values at 0hrs.
Well, Bas, welcome back! You have been missed
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 05:06 PM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The watch is consistently running at -3 seconds per day.
That is outstanding precision by any standard.
That reference watch was always supposed to run between +6 and -4 seconds per day.
Whilst not optimal, it's within specs by any measure.

If it's still annoying you after the World Wide Service Warranty expires, you could always take it to a highly reputable watchmaker and have it adjusted accordingly.
Personally, I would leave it be for now but try a bit of self regulation by leaving it overnight in different resting positions to see if you can pick a bit of time up

But the amplitude is a concern and I would take it back to RSC myself as that's a viable option.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote