The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2018, 01:19 PM   #31
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Filson. A bit more undercover, pretty butch and simple. Otherwise, I’m in the Prada and Tumi corner. Simple, practical, good looking and a little more subdued...it’s a weird world out there...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 04:04 PM   #32
ragnk
"TRF" Member

I always prefer LV to Gucci any day
ragnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 04:18 PM   #33
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
LV is an outstanding brand. My wife is a hardcore collector and has a collection that is truly impressive. It's almost embarrassing. But what I find with LV, is that if you're looking for a more masculine and less conservative look or feel, this is where Gucci IMO wins. I love both brands. Have a lot of pieces myself of each brand. But I will tell you, when I use my LV wallets, I feel classy, well put together, and responsible. When I sport my Gucci wallets, accessories (seduction snake of Greek origin, bulls head, anger wolf etc.), I feel way more stylish, more bad boy, and irresponsible. It is hard to explain, but hoping this makes some sense. I think in the past few years fashion has shifted so much that it has also shifted accessories and LV just seems so conservative, contrived and a bit behind the ball (they're efforts to be forward are obvious.) Whereas brands like Gucci, YSL, Valentino, etc., have taken huge leaps forward successfully and organically! Anyway, great purchase either way. Nothing better than a high-end duffle.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:52 PM   #34
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
LV is an outstanding brand. My wife is a hardcore collector and has a collection that is truly impressive. It's almost embarrassing. But what I find with LV, is that if you're looking for a more masculine and less conservative look or feel, this is where Gucci IMO wins. I love both brands. Have a lot of pieces myself of each brand. But I will tell you, when I use my LV wallets, I feel classy, well put together, and responsible. When I sport my Gucci wallets, accessories (seduction snake of Greek origin, bulls head, anger wolf etc.), I feel way more stylish, more bad boy, and irresponsible. It is hard to explain, but hoping this makes some sense. I think in the past few years fashion has shifted so much that it has also shifted accessories and LV just seems so conservative, contrived and a bit behind the ball (they're efforts to be forward are obvious.) Whereas brands like Gucci, YSL, Valentino, etc., have taken huge leaps forward successfully and organically! Anyway, great purchase either way. Nothing better than a high-end duffle.
Interesting take, the more masculinity of a Gucci duffle is something that I was thinking about in my little brain.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 08:20 AM   #35
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Louis Vuitton Keepall or Gucci Soft GG Supreme

Just bought my wife the 55 duffle bag and the makeup case. There is a men’s version they make with black straps. I like it a lot. It’s more masculine. I would go that route.

Found a pic of the black straps. It has silver hardware on it too to tone it down. Very masculine imo. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 08:34 AM   #36
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post

Just bought my wife the 55 duffle bag and the makeup case. There is a men’s version they make with black straps. I like it a lot. It’s more masculine. I would go that route.

Found a pic of the black straps. It has silver hardware on it too to tone it down. Very masculine imo. Good luck.

Awwww what a sweet present!!!

The 55 is on my Christmas list from Santa if he believes I've been good this year!?

A DJ last month and now these for the wifey??? Not sure how you can top these when Christmas comes along in a few weeks!

You do spoooil her!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 08:36 AM   #37
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
My buddy had a $300 pair of Gucci flip flops, they were literally falling apart after the second time he wore them. They looked pretty much unworn but the finish started peeling off from where they creased when he walked. Soles had absolutely no wear

Have had my Gucci flip flops for 5 yrs now and still going strong:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 10:11 AM   #38
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post

The 55 is on my Christmas list from Santa if he believes I've been good this year!?

A DJ last month and now these for the wifey??? Not sure how you can top these when Christmas comes along in a few weeks!

You do spoooil her!

Is this a for a girl or a guy?

I always get those 2 mixed up at LV. Can’t tell the difference.

Do you ever mix those up?

Old 3 December 2018, 10:45 AM   #39
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Is this a for a girl or a guy?

I always get those 2 mixed up at LV. Can’t tell the difference.

Do you ever mix those up?

Well the white is unisex. The black is part of the men’s collection. But woman like and can rock it and buy it too. All LV luggage is unisex imo.

Old 3 December 2018, 10:52 AM   #40
teabags001
Banned

Louis Vuitton Keepall or Gucci Soft GG Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post

You do spoooil her!

Thanks. I do try. She is the princess of the family lol. Our son is even more spoiled I have to say. Lol. But this time of year kills me. Her birthday is dec 11. Christmas. Our anniversary is Jan 30 and then Valentine’s Day. My birthday is Jan 20 but no one remembers that lol. She mainly collects Chanel but they don’t make a good as luggage as LV imo. She is just now starting to like watches.... gulp! Ps if you have been extra good ask for the makeup case too. It’s nice and the perfect size. She is obsessed with that piece the most. Happy holidays!!!

Old 3 December 2018, 10:59 AM   #41
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
LV for luggage. Gucci for fashion.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 11:16 AM   #42
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
LV for luggage. Gucci for fashion.
Well put.

Old 3 December 2018, 11:20 AM   #43
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Well the white is unisex. The black is part of the men’s collection. But woman like and can rock it and buy it too. All LV luggage is unisex imo.

I supposed you could easily get away with both. Congrats on your anniversary. And have a great holiday.

Old 3 December 2018, 11:24 AM   #44
1st amg

Nice pics! I have seen men sporting that same one, but I think I am a little more masculine....at least I like to think so!
Old 3 December 2018, 12:19 PM   #45
BDB
"TRF" Member

I would throw the Goyard Croisière 55 into the mix, as something that's as well built if not better than the LV, and not as common.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 05:50 PM   #46
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Nice pics! I have seen men sporting that same one, but I think I am a little more masculine....at least I like to think so!

Not really sure where your getting at but I’m guessing you want the Gucci but want to confirm your choice is not a bad one? That’s the vibe I’m getting anyways. Sorry if I’m wrong. If your truly thinking your to manly for a LV maybe look at this combo. It’s about as masculine as they make. If it’s not your liking I’d go with Gucci. But imo LV makes better luggage and carry on bags. This is a 55 and is about $1800.

Old 3 December 2018, 10:42 PM   #47
1st amg

Hey teabags, the one I meant that would work for me is this one here you posted. I was making refernce to the one you bought your wife or the one in a picture on the left. This graphite is the contender and the one I like is also the monogram eclipse, for the main reason because of the inside zippered pocket, for whatever reason, only that model of the 55 gets the pocket.
Old 4 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #48
lisalisa
"TRF" Member

I actually just ordered the keepall 55. I got it customized so it’s going to take 6-8 weeks. I hope it last really. But I really don’t abuse my items. Most things are in excellent shape and rarely used. I had 2 pegase carry on, the first one as used about 5 times at most and always carried one and used very cautiously. But when I took it out of the dust bag that was stored in for years the rubber bumper was cracked and literally the glue was melted off. I was completely surprised. Though the other carry on pegase I had was a newer version was also stored in the dustbag for years the rubber bumper was completely perfect. I read that LV have been having issues with a few of their items. But for the most part, they really hold up well.

lisalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 09:07 AM   #49
JayAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
I have had a Louis Vuitton keepall 55 for the past 18 months that I have used to travel weekly for work. It still looks brand new. I just got my girl a keepall 55 for when she tags along with me. I highly recommend them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4FEFE8E7-CDC2-4C3B-BA60-CA670F902298.jpeg (115.8 KB, 193 views)
JayAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 10:18 AM   #50
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Hey teabags, the one I meant that would work for me is this one here you posted. I was making refernce to the one you bought your wife or the one in a picture on the left. This graphite is the contender and the one I like is also the monogram eclipse, for the main reason because of the inside zippered pocket, for whatever reason, only that model of the 55 gets the pocket.

Ah gotcha. Sorry. I love the black one too and that’s the one I would (will) get. Anyways post pics of incoming when you get it. And yeah I wouldn’t get the Brown and tan. I would get the brown and black but I like the black and grey/blue the best.

Old 4 December 2018, 11:32 AM   #51
kearez
"TRF" Member

Definitely would go for LV for travel. IMHO, just a fan of Gucci at all, tried on a pair of Gucci Aces, my Fred Perries are much better quality.

The graphite keepall is an excellent choice and is what I’d go for, it’s low key but if you know you know.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 01:58 PM   #52
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
LV quality is ok. But can’t stand the branding, logos. When traveling prefer Filson or any other brand that stays under the radar. Looked at custom made stuff, Logic, and Globetrotter.
Old 5 December 2018, 08:32 AM   #53
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Definitely would go for LV for travel. IMHO, just a fan of Gucci at all, tried on a pair of Gucci Aces, my Fred Perries are much better quality.

The graphite keepall is an excellent choice and is what I’d go for, it’s low key but if you know you know.
I have the monogram eclipse keepall. The black and grey motif keeps it subtle (and manlier), but like you said if you know you know.
pjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 08:12 AM   #54
1st amg

Update, I decided to get the Keepall 55 Bandouliere in the monogram eclipse. The biggest and most important deciding factor is that has a zippered inside pocket/pouch that can hold passports etc. Otherwise I feel I would be throwing things into a big black hole. Anyway, I will post pics when it arrives. Thanks everyone again for the help.
Old 10 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #55
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:04 AM   #56
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
need a good source for a Gucci wallet, suggestions welcome!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 11:37 AM   #57
msma
Banned

LV has some great quality i could tell because my LV belt i bought a few years back hasn't aged a bit.
msma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:47 PM   #58
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
need a good source for a Gucci wallet, suggestions welcome!
If you're not going to a Gucci store or boutique I suggest ssense.com and farfetch.com. Or Gucci online. What I like about ssense and farfetch is that since both retailers are outside of the US you don't pay taxes. Ssense is in Montreal and Farfetch is in the UK. And if the order value is high enough you get free 2-day shipping from Ssense. Farfetch is $10 shipping over $150 and they ship DHL so you always get your packages in 2-days. Plus you get stuff from all of the world, Italy, France, Spain, etc... AND in most cases styles that you cannot get here in the US, this makes it more unique and less common.

Old 10 December 2018, 12:49 PM   #59
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
If you're not going to a Gucci store or boutique I suggest ssense.com and farfetch.com. Or Gucci online. What I like about ssense and farfetch is that since both retailers are outside of the US you don't pay taxes. Ssense is in Montreal and Farfetch is in the UK. And if the order value is high enough you get free 2-day shipping from Ssense. Farfetch is $10 shipping over $150 and they ship DHL do you always get your packages in 2-days. Plus you get stuff from all of the world, Italy, France, Spain, etc... AND in most cases styles that you cannot get here in the US, this makes it more unique and less common.
Very cool of you to share good sir, thank you!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:52 PM   #60
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Very cool of you to share good sir, thank you!!
Any time, Marc. Try them out. Free returns as well. So it's low hassle.