The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2021, 11:40 AM   #1
SeaDuba
"TRF" Member

Travel during Covid - Hawaii

Travel during COVID can bring a lot of uncertainty. Seems like Hawaii has found the right mix or precautions and remaining open. A negative COVID test was required prior to travel. Once you get to Hawaii, face covering are required about everywhere. I'm not from an area with such strict restrictions so it is weird to wear them outside. You can ditch them at restaurants and poolside.

The hotels are operating at about 30-40% capacity. This means the pool can feel like it belongs to you. I got an awesome rental car upgrade- Mercedes SLC300 convertible. This would normally been outside my price range, but was a fun splurge.

The break felt priceless. Highly recommended.

Attached is a pic of my Explorer 214270 beachside.
SeaDuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:52 PM   #2
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Nice pic! We opted to cancel our Hawaii trip this year because of the pandemic but looks like you had a great time! I’m glad you were able to enjoy it
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #3
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

If one can comply with the additional requisites, HI has one of the lowest # of cases per day. Less crowd, less traffic, more beach to yourself. Good you are enjoying the vacation.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDuba View Post
Travel during COVID can bring a lot of uncertainty. Seems like Hawaii has found the right mix or precautions and remaining open. A negative COVID test was required prior to travel. Once you get to Hawaii, face covering are required about everywhere. I'm not from an area with such strict restrictions so it is weird to wear them outside. You can ditch them at restaurants and poolside.

The hotels are operating at about 30-40% capacity. This means the pool can feel like it belongs to you. I got an awesome rental car upgrade- Mercedes SLC300 convertible. This would normally been outside my price range, but was a fun splurge.

The break felt priceless. Highly recommended.

Attached is a pic of my Explorer 214270 beachside.
they have no snakes on the island because they brought in mongoose. smart indeed.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
they have no snakes on the island because they brought in mongoose. smart indeed.
Except it didn’t work; mongoose live during daylight, snakes at night. Mongoose were brought against rats in the 19th century.
The mongoose experiment is a big failure.
They have no snakes because among other things there are apparently snake teams at airports with dogs trained to find ´em before they get loose in the nature..
Americans learned the hard way when Guam was overwhelmed with tree snakes during and after WWII.

Old 25 January 2021, 12:27 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Except it didn’t work; mongoose live during daylight, snakes at night.
They have no snakes because among other things there are apparently snake teams at airports with dogs trained to find ´em before they get loose in the nature..
Americans learned the hard way when Guam was overwhelmed with tree snakes during and after WWII.
it was a level. i think their policies are bad. lived there for 3 years in the mid 1990s.

the covid thing is fine.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:44 AM   #7
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great post OP, just booked my trip to Maui for March! Can’t wait to get to the beach. Now I’m hoping for a rental car upgrade myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:46 AM   #8
wayne93117
"TRF" Member

Wife and I have been teetering on this for a few months. Might just have to make it happen. I haven’t heard of anyone going these days who has had a negative experience.
wayne93117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:50 AM   #9
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Maui will be the first place we go
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:31 AM   #10
PhotonX
"TRF" Member

We postponed our October trip to May. We are planing to go this time and hoping the # of visitors is lower than normal just so we can enjoy the island without a crowd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhotonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:44 AM   #11
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
We are going to Disney Aulani in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to the trip. Glad to hear everything is running smooth as possible.
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:57 AM   #12
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
We postponed our October trip to February and just pushed that trip back to October.

Have a great time and be safe!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 05:41 AM   #13
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Nice getaway. Love Hawaii. Enjoy.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:21 AM   #14
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but don’t you think that travelling for a holiday is selfish and irresponsible when thousands of people a day are dying of COVID-19 whilst millions are enduring lockdown to minimise an even bigger catastrophe

Why not wait until the vaccines have been widely given, before indulging in hedonism
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:28 AM   #15
AR5150
Banned

Keep breathing and living. You're enjoying your vacation and i think that's what matters the most.
AR5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:34 AM   #16
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Except it didn’t work; mongoose live during daylight, snakes at night. Mongoose were brought against rats in the 19th century.

No snakes, no opossum, no rabies, no billboards. They have been quarantining (120 days) animals to keep the island’s rabies free...they already had a quarantine plan for COVID lol

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:45 AM   #17
rfs
"TRF" Member

Nice!
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:15 PM   #18
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but don’t you think that travelling for a holiday is selfish and irresponsible when thousands of people a day are dying of COVID-19 whilst millions are enduring lockdown to minimise an even bigger catastrophe

Why not wait until the vaccines have been widely given, before indulging in hedonism
Because a lot of data that isnt shown on the Television shows that you are 100% wrong...maybe you shouldnt be so "irresponsible" and do some research instead of trusting everything you read and hear via mainstream news

I guess well all just stop living because weve been told its not safe to do anything except shelter in place and wear diapers on our faces
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 12:51 AM   #19
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
We are going to Disney Aulani in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to the trip. Glad to hear everything is running smooth as possible.

Was there a year ago, had a great time.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:14 AM   #20
JodyHighroller
Banned

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great time with all things considered.

It’s a bit sad that travel shaming has become a big issue during this pandemic. I have no problem with those who do as long as you are responsible and diligent (mask wearing, sanitizing, social distancing, etc). There comes a point where mental health begins to decline and you have to balance it with physical health. I’ve started to resume my international travels since last August as I was going stir crazy working from home.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 02:57 AM   #21
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Airplanes are flying tubes of COVID death. We will not take that risk.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:04 AM   #22
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Testing negative simply means the test didn't detect the virus at that precise moment in time, but all the passengers can easily get it anytime between the Covid test and the flight (and spread it).

My life is worth more than a few pics by the ocean. No thank you.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:06 AM   #23
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Good to hear about a positive (not test) experience traveling, we just recently returned from Akumal MX on a dive trip and felt completely comfortable and safe at our hotel as well which was operating at about the same 40% capacity (which should be 100% right now) So sad for these regions that rely on tourism basically for 100% of their revenue. We all need to start getting out minds around living again! Anyway, as always MHO. Great thread thanks OP!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:08 AM   #24
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Airplanes are flying tubes of COVID death. We will not take that risk.
I respect your opinion but that's simply not true, sorry. But you're right if your not comfortable traveling or have a condition that puts you at a higher risk nobody is making you go anywhere.
Old 26 January 2021, 03:09 AM   #25
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhighroller View Post
thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great time with all things considered.

It’s a bit sad that travel shaming has become a big issue during this pandemic. I have no problem with those who do as long as you are responsible and diligent (mask wearing, sanitizing, social distancing, etc). There comes a point where mental health begins to decline and you have to balance it with physical health. I’ve started to resume my international travels since last august as i was going stir crazy working from home.
+1
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #26
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great time with all things considered.

It’s a bit sad that travel shaming has become a big issue during this pandemic. I have no problem with those who do as long as you are responsible and diligent (mask wearing, sanitizing, social distancing, etc). There comes a point where mental health begins to decline and you have to balance it with physical health. I’ve started to resume my international travels since last August as I was going stir crazy working from home.
Agree 100% Our recent travel to MX in Aug, and more recently end of this Dec were completely safe, in fact after reaching our destination being outside in 82f.and basically having the beach to ourselves felt pretty darn healthy in a lot of ways....

At a certain point you gotta choose living...at least we are. I really have empathy for those living a a false narrative of fear, don't get me wrong if you are a high risk person you should behave accordingly but for most of us using common sense can get you a long way....
Old 26 January 2021, 04:34 AM   #27
T01
"TRF" Member

Looks like a great time, enjoy yourself.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:47 AM   #28
Alliy
Banned

Lovely picture. Stay safe buddy
Alliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:50 AM   #29
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I've been considering a flight to Hawaii because of the price, but the thought of being on a plane for 12 hours was a bit much. That's a lot of exposure time.

Especially with meals times. Being so close to others without masks.

If it was 2-4 hours I'd happily do it.

I traveled to Disney in October and stayed on site. The park was EMPTY, and I got a FREE upgrade to club level theme park view at the Contemporary Resort in the main building, which was basically a dream come true for this Disney fan. I will probably never get to see, or experience Disney like that ever again and was worth the trip.

I miss diamond head though :3
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #30
islandhopper70
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
We leave for Maui in 8 days, wife just received her 2nd dose, I get tested every 2 weeks, so far so good. Waiting to book our Air bnb until we are tested 72 hours before landing. Can't wait to R&R on the beach!
islandhopper70 is offline   Reply With Quote