The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 10:05 AM   #31
golftime
"TRF" Member

Everyone has heard of buyer's remorse, and in this case it sounds more like buyer's doubt. From what you have said, I am still not sure why you are doubting authenticity.
golftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:11 AM   #32
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Let's see some close pics.

I think it sounds legit personally.

My opinion: if holding the Rolex in your hand you still don't know if it's real or not you shouldn't have spent the kind of money that keeps you up at night.
Old 25 January 2021, 10:17 AM   #33
kg19989
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD 16600 Z Series
Did the private seller have any references? You will only find peace by having the watch serviced. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:23 AM   #34
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

As a new member of TRF I am overwhelmed by the quick and positive support by all of you. I have only started to doubt the seller because of the subtle differences in the boxes. Thickness of lettering on the wty card holder and the protective paper used between outer and inner. The watch itself is stunning and I am so in love with it that I just want to get on and enjoy it now. A friend who is well connected at another AD has advised me of a very reputable antique watch dealer near me who is even trusted by the manager at the other AD. He charges a fee to authenticate and provides a valuation certificate at the end. I'm considering it as long as I can be assured my warranty won't be voided by whatever they do.

Again thanks all. TRF great place to be thanks to kind folk like yourselves.
DEFCON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:44 AM   #35
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

It doesn't surprise me that an AD didn't want to be the responsible party for you being made to feel good about your private party purchase. There is absolutely no upside for dealers to get in the middle of things like this. They have no idea what your purchase process was or who you bought the watch from, only that you seem to have your doubts. If they authenticate the sale and it turns out that the person you bought the watch from wasn't the original owner, the watch was stolen, or it had non-original parts, they're now involved in your sh*tshow, and with absolutely nothing to gain. If you have concerns, send the watch to a Rolex Service Center, have it authenticated, serviced, polished, and get a warranty. If you were wound up about subtle differences in the boxes that's even more reason for the AD to run away from this.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 01:01 PM   #36
zengineer
"TRF" Member

You want the paperwork to have paperwork?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:26 PM   #37
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
if your doubt comes down to the box only, I wouldnt be too worried. The thing you really paid for is the watch, the box is generic. Dealers have stacks of boxes in the back and quite often when you purchase from an AD you will get different box for the same reference.

I really wouldnt worry too much about it. Not unless the box is really really obviously fake ie colour wrong, fonts wrong, smells wrong, but the AD wouldn't know if that box came with that watch when they sold it anyway, as it could easily have been changed to another box by the person you purchased the watch from without the AD ever knowing.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:56 PM   #38
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Did you do any type of background on the seller? Does he own his home, does he belong to any professional organizations, did you verify his employment, etc.?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:22 PM   #39
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

Definitely much more at ease now after all the advice and speaking to a very experienced horologist friend who dissected the whole thing for me. Nothing the seller did smelt fishy at all. The watch feels like a Rolex, utter perfection everywhere. My doubts started to set in when I visited the AD and then noticed the font inside my box was thinner under magnification than my wife’s box.

All of this doubt has been dispelled today thanks to my friend and TRF. I’m so in love with my watch and can now get on to enjoying it for many years. Thanks.
DEFCON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:32 PM   #40
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

I've been looking at used Rolex watches, recently on an online site, and wonder if I can trust the photos? Fortunately I have some old brochures and can see photos of watch models as presented new, bracelet links tight up against each other.
Many used gold watches show the bracelets with gaps between the links, yet when the included photos show the bracelet held horizontal, it looks straight? End of the day, I think now, I shall only buy a used Rolex when I can hold it in my hands, before parting with money.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:55 AM   #41
Cassidy776
Banned

I think its best if the OP stay away from buying watches from greys.........to lose sleep over the AD not re-swiping your card borders on the absurd. Send to RSC if you're so worried
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #42
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

To state the obvious, if this is something that would cause you to lose sleep, maybe have the origin of the watch verified before purchasing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:37 AM   #43
T01
"TRF" Member

Seems like you have the supporting documentation to validate authenticity. I wouldn't fret too much, especially since you have the receipt. AD just being difficult, nothing new there for some.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #44
Alliy
Banned

Oh wow! That's ridiculous
Alliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #45
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Why would you buy a watch from someone you don't trust?

Now that you bought it, you want the AD to make you feel better by validating the original purchase did indeed buy it from them? Isn't that what the receipt and card (papers) prove? Are you saying you think those are counterfeit?

To me, I do my diligence before I buy, not after.

I think it's actually a little poor form to run to the AD and basically say, "Heh, I want to feel better after buying from a flipper, so please know this person didn't keep their watch. They sold it to me. Now, please make me feel better by verifying it was sold by you to them on the date on the card because I have a nagging feeling it wasn't."

It seems like you are trying to get the original buyer in trouble with their AD for selling a watch the AD would have liked to see them keep. A bit of flipper shaming so they won't sell another watch to that buyer?
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:04 AM   #46
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Pretty sure my AD wouldn’t get involved either. They would/could be violating the original buyer’s privacy by confirming anything.
PS: I have never given anyone the receipt I got when I bought the watch when selling it. That is my personal business.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:10 AM   #47
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by artnouveau View Post
pretty sure my ad wouldn’t get involved either. They would/could be violating the original buyer’s privacy by confirming anything.
Ps: I have never given anyone the receipt i got when i bought the watch when selling it. That is my personal business.
100%
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:42 AM   #48
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Even if the AD confirms that they sold it, how would this resolve your doubts? Someone still might have swapped parts in the time before it was resold to you.

For what it's worth, if the piece is running well, feels good, and has all matching paperwork, then I would not worry.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Stop this madness. Man up, forget these ridiculous insecurities and start enjoying your new Rolex. Your sucking the life out of the entire experience.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:09 AM   #50
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Your watch has full warranty, bring it to a RSC and be 1000% sure.
I don't understand why you need to find alternatives, like your friend's antique watch dealer.
Even if you have a subtle doubt, isn't it better to solve it with certainty?
You spent a good amount of money on a watch, my philosophy is better be safe than sorry!
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:08 AM   #51
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The AD has no direct role whatsoever in authentication of Rolexes. NONE. That includes verification if it came from their store or not. NO ROLE.

They can ship to RSC if an individual doesn't want to do it themselves and then pay though the AD for any charges, but they serve only to facilitate.

There should be no surprise, disappointment or outrage in this.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:13 AM   #52
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
As long as it wasn’t from the Australian Watch Facebook Private Group We Know What We Got No Offers Or Else place, you should be good.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:37 AM   #53
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
So in my experience ADs don’t like to “confirm authenticity.”

It shocked me in my first experience. Cliff notes:

- I was selling a watch I purchased from said AD 8-9 years prior.
- called and asked AD watchmaker, who I am on a first name basis with, if he’d confirm authenticity of this piece for my buyer. It would make the buyer more comfortable.
- the watchmaker apologized that he wouldn’t be able to perform that service / action. He was willing to inform the buyer that I had purchased the watch from the AD and when.

My initial reaction was one of frustration, but I was gracious as always in the moment. Upon reflecting, I figured it was something like unable to confirm the watch was in fact the same original watch I purchased (despite serial matching). Anything is possible and I simply imagined the AD has no upside to providing an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No upside at all for them and only a potential liability.

What if all your papers have been matched up to an illegitmate copy you had custom made, parts swapped, etc.

They confirm and the buyer finds out later and sues them.
Old 26 January 2021, 10:47 AM   #54
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

What are the chances you got scammed considering all the paperwork you have? Half of my rolexes were bought without boxes but I know they’re legit. It’s important to buy seller then the watch. I think you’re good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:02 AM   #55
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Papers would probably be the last thing that verifies the watch's authenticity and therefore the AD would likely reject that kind of verification as a consumer could use that against them if the watch turns out to be fake.

Once watch leaves their door originally, everything of the watch can be subject to questioning. So as an AD I won't back that up nor do would they ever guarantee authenticity unless you send it Rolex themselves.

Don't worry about the papers if both the Seller is legitimate and the watch itself is legitimate. Get the watch verified by Rolex if that is an internal issue for you. On the "papers" / card, do a quick search on this forum and there are tons of post that can determine if it's real or fake yourself. The new card should have a chip and App that brings up the info so it's harder to fake at the moment.

As for the box... nothing is identical. Relax, if the box is off... there would be clear signs that it was fake. If miss matches another box you have... well the box wasn't designed to perfection.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:59 AM   #56
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The AD has no direct role whatsoever in authentication of Rolexes. NONE. That includes verification if it came from their store or not. NO ROLE.

They can ship to RSC if an individual doesn't want to do it themselves and then pay though the AD for any charges, but they serve only to facilitate.

There should be no surprise, disappointment or outrage in this.

Yep, totally agree. I had my AD( not my typical sales person) authenticate a watch for insurance purposes. I without a doubt could have slid a fake by him. He has no idea what he was looking for or looking at. Nor should he! Their job is selling watches, not authenticating.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 12:13 PM   #57
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
If the watch was supplied to the AD by Rolex at least a year ago then that AD’s name is on the card along with the watch serial number. The serial is also on the rehaut of the watch. So do they match?

If you want it examined to confirm it’s exactly as it should be then take it to a Rolex service Center and get a quote for a service. Obviously you don’t have to have it serviced but if there is anything amiss then they will tell you for sure.

This. Let them give you a quote

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 12:25 PM   #58
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFCON1 View Post
Definitely much more at ease now after all the advice and speaking to a very experienced horologist friend who dissected the whole thing for me. Nothing the seller did smelt fishy at all. The watch feels like a Rolex, utter perfection everywhere. My doubts started to set in when I visited the AD and then noticed the font inside my box was thinner under magnification than my wife’s box.

All of this doubt has been dispelled today thanks to my friend and TRF. I’m so in love with my watch and can now get on to enjoying it for many years. Thanks.
Pleased for you that you got it sorted and can now enjoy your YM.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 12:46 PM   #59
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Advice required - sleepless nights from recent purchase.

an AD will not authenticate a watch for you because to be 100% certain they will need to open it up to take a look at the movement and if it is under warranty, only RSC can do that otherwise it will void your warranty. So be careful not to have some antique store mess around with it. Also your friend who "dissected" your watch, did they open it? if so you may have void your warranty and opening a Rolex is not as simple as unscrewing and screwing the case back - you need to change the seals, perform pressure tests, etc...
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:00 PM   #60
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Not a Rolex but I encountered some similar nonsense with my Cartier. I bought it naked (the watch, not me) from a local trusted vintage watch retailer. I wanted a little more info about the watch so I called Cartier directly and asked if I gave them the serial number could they tell me anything about this particular watch. The person who answered told me that was private information and they couldn't reveal any details. I said fine, but if I just give you the model number could you give me some general info about the watch. I was then told that the model number was part of the serial number so they couldn't tell me anything more.

I thought, huh?
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote