The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2021, 09:49 PM   #61
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'll never forget being in a watch shop in West Palm Beach and saw a guy casually buy a 30k AP and when the SA went to give him the box, papers etc, the buyer said "what do I need that for? Just throw it away". Then he left with just the watch on his wrist.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:54 PM   #62
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
Brainstorming

1) Indifference by original buyer
2) Handed down through life events but the box/papers didn't travel with the item
3) Lost/Misplaced during a move
4) Sold

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:35 PM   #63
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
Actually, and sadly, probably a very valid point. Never really thought about that.

What?!

You do realise realise that many people who buy expensive watches are not fussed about the boxes, don’t you??

It’s only people who are ‘in’ to watches like those on this forum (including myself) to whom it matters.

Also, the whole buying for investment thing over the past couple of years has made new buyers to the market aware of the need to retain them.

Years gone by before that, many didn’t care.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:47 PM   #64
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I'll never forget being in a watch shop in West Palm Beach and saw a guy casually buy a 30k AP and when the SA went to give him the box, papers etc, the buyer said "what do I need that for? Just throw it away". Then he left with just the watch on his wrist.

I think that follows the logic of a lifelong keeper.

We here on this little island of horological value retention are keen to keep such things as tags and stickers, boxes and papers, tags and bezel protectors for the purpose of future value retention when we flip, trade or sell.

So I do understand that chap’s indifference toward the paraphernalia.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:54 PM   #65
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

I always thought the same thing, how could anyone ever loose a box and papers...Then, this year I moved.

After sorting everything out, I went to sell and Omega Seamaster 300 with the big wooden box. After 4 months of being in there house, I have since sold the way with, you guessed it, NBNP... Unreal but true story...
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:56 PM   #66
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Sounds like many of you would be surprised how many athletes and rappers out there have little to no interest in even bringing the box with them from the AD.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:02 PM   #67
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Many people do not want them.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:05 PM   #68
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Lately, browsing the 2nd hand older market, I am coming across a lot of watches without box and papers.

This may be a dumb question but...how does one lose that sort of thing?

My watches box/papers, wife's, the certification for her ring, etc. are all locked up safely. I'm just struggling to figure out why and how so many watches get separated from them.

Is it maybe something as sad as a death and the watch(es) go up for estate auction without the kit being located?

Carelessness?

Other?

I'm just really curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this.
It’s simple really, outside of this forum not everyone cares about the box and papers.

I bought my dad an OP39. Within 10 minutes of opening it he separated out the watch and the warranty card and walked over to the trash can with the box and everything else and tossed it in the trash

I explained that a lot of people like to keep those and he raised his eyebrow at me, shrugged his shoulders, asked rhetorically “why? It’s just a green box” and carried on to the kitchen where he poured himself a whiskey

I shamelessly fished the box out of the trash for myself later. I could not convince him to keep it

At the end of the day the watch is a watch and the box is just a box
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:08 PM   #69
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think that follows the logic of a lifelong keeper.

We here on this little island of horological value retention are keen to keep such things as tags and stickers, boxes and papers, tags and bezel protectors for the purpose of future value retention when we flip, trade or sell.

So I do understand that chap’s indifference toward the paraphernalia.

Its mainly because today Rolex watches and all the packaging stuff are thought of as little more than ££££££$$$.At one time Rolex watches were bought to wear hopefully in good health for life. But sadly today those days are gone much like the history of the brand. Now its alignment points, loupe mania, phone apps checking time to the absolute second, and all the rest of todays Rolex owners syndromes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:11 PM   #70
lhawli
"TRF" Member

I get it on older watches, but for the newer ones, there is no excuse for separating watch and papers.

Most brands offering at least 5 years warranty and most buyers even casual ones know that they need the papers or the importance of them. If ever I was buying grey, I wold personally never consider newer watches without paper even with discounted premiums.

Less concerned about the box, those could be had easily if one wishes to compete a set and sometimes viewed as just packaging or take up too much space.
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:17 PM   #71
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Too funny
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:40 AM   #72
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
That’s my bet. On older watches, completely understand, but with newer watches, people spending serious coin on a watch these days know the value of the box and papers.
Has that been quantified?
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:03 AM   #73
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Old 24 January 2021, 01:07 AM   #74
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Stolen.
Steal the papers, leave the watch ??
Old 24 January 2021, 01:11 AM   #75
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly, Box and papers are a burden as it’s one more item I have to store and take up space. After I set and size my watch up I never look at them again. Panerai pear wood boxes are probably the only box I would keep out just for its beauty and style. If I didn’t think I had to keep the box mint, I would convert the Panerai box into a small desk humidor.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:54 AM   #76
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post

Is this a court of law or somewhere we can express our views with having to caveat every statement with ‘my opinion’ or ‘unqualified’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #77
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Do you have a $10,000 collectible toaster?
That’s not the point. To many people buying a Rolex is like buying any other consumer product. They are not buying a collectable.

Box and papers get binned the same as any other product packaging does. If not immediately then at some point.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:52 AM   #78
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I suspect we WIS are 1% of the watch buyers. That’s us on this forum. My wife did not keep a Tiffany box from a purchase. She wears the piece.

Most of the folks buying Rolex have so much wealth that the box means nothing. They bought the watch to wear the watch and don’t need a box.

Now, that is not my position. I value each aspect of these purchases and I like to collect and keep things together. But like I said; I bet I am one of a small minority of the Rolex buying population. One million watches a year are manufactured by Rolex.
Old 24 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #79
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

I couldn't imagine throwing them away but people do it.
Watch Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 07:03 AM   #80
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post

Yes, actually. According to DavidSW:

"I don’t have my original box and papers, will this affect the value of my trade in? And if so, how much?

Yes, it does affect the trade in. It depends on the watch and make. For example, on a Rolex, not having papers can affect the value $500-$1,000, each watch is different. Papers are more important than the box. Box and packaging hold no value for us."
Old 24 January 2021, 07:16 AM   #81
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I guess it’s only watch collectors & wis people like us that are really very particular about box & papers. I knew a couple of people that just threw it away just like the box & docs of their Iphone, computer devices etc.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:21 AM   #82
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
That’s not the point. To many people buying a Rolex is like buying any other consumer product. They are not buying a collectable.

Box and papers get binned the same as any other product packaging does. If not immediately then at some point.
+1

My dad threw away the box and everything except the watch and warranty card without giving it a second thought. When I pointed out people like to keep those things he acted like we are all nuts.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:32 AM   #83
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

"... Box and packaging hold no value for us."
Seems like for most people, it is not quantified. Most people will keep the warranty card. Just because they will be told they need it for their warranty. Which is exactly what is worth the most. All other papers and box will go in the bin for most people.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:48 AM   #84
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
When I bought my 5513 in Switzerland in 1970, I was on a month long European backpacking vacation. I told the dealer I didn't want the box. It would take up too much space. I did keep the sales receipt.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:52 AM   #85
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
In the 1960’s/70’ Only certain smart organized orioles save them.
My dad’s 1968 Rolex box was used by housekeeper for her keepsakes!

He didn’t save them. They were not reselling...
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 09:24 AM   #86
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
This is a massively personal thing, but I will not spend thousands of dollars without box and papers. Not to question honest sellers but to make it harder for the thieves. IMHO
Old 24 January 2021, 09:33 AM   #87
hgb4529
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO, Nautilus, GMT
I'd speculate that some people who swap out original dials and other parts might intentionally ditch the papers to obfuscate the provenance.
hgb4529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:08 AM   #88
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For the most part I suspect what has been already said about the difference between collectors and watch wearers is the truth. Many just see the box and expired warranty as junk. As far as the value of the junk is concerned. Boxes can be purchased easily on ebay. A warranty can be purchased by a service; I'd give greater value to a recent service card than any piece of junk expired warranty paper. There's the value. Service and box about $700 - $800. Buying from a know reputable seller (TS) is the best way to assure legitimacy of the watch, imho. Papers and cards are easily duplicated and can be bought on line very cheaply with the watch model ID and what ever serial number is desired. Don't put too much credence in that junk.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:18 AM   #89
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I am one of those who did not keep the box and papers. I bought my first Rolex in '84 and somewhere along the 10+ moves in a dumb moment I must have figured that the box and papers were no longer important. The watch is still in the family and will never be sold so the box and papers are not important but I would still like to have them!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:11 PM   #90
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yes, actually. According to DavidSW:

"I don’t have my original box and papers, will this affect the value of my trade in? And if so, how much?

Yes, it does affect the trade in. It depends on the watch and make. For example, on a Rolex, not having papers can affect the value $500-$1,000, each watch is different. Papers are more important than the box. Box and packaging hold no value for us."
That is actually extremely helpful. Great quote, great source.

It really helps when we can throw a number at it!!!
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote