The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2021, 09:15 AM   #1
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Why do I feel disappointed

I have read many so posts about other members collecting watches, and I feel there are steel sports watches out there, but not available to me from an AD at msrp, simply because I don't splash out loads of money on jewelry that I don't want.
I went past a pawnbrokers today, and saw a pre-owned steel Submariner in the window, sitting in a shallow green box. Thought to myself, doesn't look like the official deeper box green box my last rolex came in (11 years ago), complete with an outer protective sleeve? Don't think I shall bother to go in and look, and once I thought that, I thought why am I bothered to even want another rolex?
I think it's about time we should be able to put our names on a central waiting list at Rolex head office, where we would then be notified where to collect our desired watch, when it came in, available at our local AD.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
I have read many so posts about other members collecting watches, and I feel there are steel sports watches out there, but not available to me from an AD at msrp, simply because I don't splash out loads of money on jewelry that I don't want.
I went past a pawnbrokers today, and saw a pre-owned steel Submariner in the window, sitting in a shallow green box. Thought to myself, doesn't look like the official deeper box green box my last rolex came in (11 years ago), complete with an outer protective sleeve? Don't think I shall bother to go in and look, and once I thought that, I thought why am I bothered to even want another rolex?
I think it's about time we should be able to put our names on a central waiting list at Rolex head office, where we would then be notified where to collect our desired watch, when it came in, available at our local AD.
Great idea in theory
But it falls flat on it's face because Rolex can't make enough watches(for commercial reasons) for everybody that wants one
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:34 AM   #3
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
You have two options:
1) convince an AD that you are worth selling a desirable piece to
2) go gray

There’s not much more to be said.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:46 AM   #4
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
I believe that there are some AD that won't sell the popular SS sport watches unless you spend tons of money but on the other hand there are some AD that would. With those AD, you just need to build a good relationship with and show them that you are worth selling to.

From my experience, it's been over 20yrs since I bought my last Rolex from this one AD but after visiting them multiple time and keeping in touch via email, I was able to build a good relationship with the sales manager. After 3 months worth of close communication, I was able to purchase the 126710BLNR right before Christmas. I will keep the close communication with him in hopes of getting a few other time pieces that are on my list.

So, overall if you're not willing to pay the grey market price and willing to invest some time in getting to know your AD, in the long run I think it'll pay off and you'll get what you're looking for.
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:52 AM   #5
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Why do I feel disappointed

What they are doing now maximises sales for ADs and Rolex, there is absolutely no reason for them to change it nor do they care about normal folks moaning about being able to buy their favourite watch.

The bundling and $ spent on undesirable pieces to build “relationship” is a win win for both ADs and Rolex.

Your idea will hurt sales or undesirable pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:59 AM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

If there was a central waiting list, it would be just as hard, if not harder to get what you want. Imagine how many non-watch people would put themselves on the list to make some free money.

The fact is that you're up against people that have been loyal to their ADs since before any of the hype, and they get taken care of along with the VIPs and big spenders. A lot of other people are just getting into it now because of the hype, or because it's free money. It should be no surprise that they are the AD's last priority.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:06 AM   #7
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
I understand your frustration.

As you think what a Rolex means for you, what is more important for you; a Rolex or a brand new Rolex?

I really want an Explorer. I'll probably enquire about one this year. If it feels like I'm just getting the run around, I'll buy used and won't lose any sleep. For me, the Explorer is more important than it being brand new.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:11 AM   #8
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

If you want it now go gray. If you are ok waiting then bide your time with an AD and play the games. Or consider going vintage, which offers a lot of great options (that's the route I went and I'm not looking back).
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:36 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I do sympathize OP

I’m not sure what it’s like in your country, but I’ve heard that it’s tough indeed to land one at an AD. That said, we have seen quite a few recent incomings here from folks just like you with no prior spend at an AD.

I truly hope you can land what you’re looking for
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Nutbeem
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Hulk, GMT II
They could do it like Tesla - where you put the deposit down and wait for the watch to be manufactured - but they have no reason to.

Worldwide, these are in tremendous demand. The hype around the SS sports watches keeps people interested, prices high, and status in the stratosphere.

Rolex has us exactly where they want us!
Nutbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:43 AM   #11
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
You feel so disappointed not because you can’t get a Rolex but because you read about other people getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:49 AM   #12
triwater
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
You have two options:
1) convince an AD that you are worth selling a desirable piece to
2) go gray

There’s not much more to be said.
#1 worked for me too. Bought a Tudor, paid MSRP. A watch I liked and was going to purchase regardless. Later that year, bought a Portugeiser, same reason. Got to know the salesperson, he invited me to a couple of Tudor events then one day summer last year, went in to look at the latest JLC releases, asked him if he had any Sub's, he asked date or no date, and that was it. No waiting list, no games. He just knew I wasn't going to immediately put it up on chrono24. Just wanted to buy a watch I like and I would wear. Just lucky I guess. But he knows I buy watches for the same reason I buy cars, to enjoy them. Worrying about what they will be worth in 5 months or 5 years, to me, removes said enjoyment, but everyone has their own way, so I think AD's are hesitant in that regard.

Anyway, long time lurker, first post, just thought I would give my 2 cents. Good luck, they are out there.
triwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:15 PM   #13
amanbra
"TRF" Member

OP a lot of us a feeling what you’re feeling. Unfortunately nothings likely to change. Look to other options. As other have asked why is it that you want Rolex. For me they make the most options for my 6.5 inch wrist. I’m patiently waiting for omega zenith etc to get me more midsize options. If you like Rolex because they are Rolex then you’re part of this crazy demand side issue we have.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:30 PM   #14
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
because, like me, you don't see any great additions to your collection any time soon.

i also feel this way, but i actually think it could be a blessing. it's keeping me from buying more watches than i need, making me enjoy the dozen watches i already have, and helping focus on some grails.

although, i probably won't be able to get those any time soon either
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:41 PM   #15
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I started up a relationship with a sales associate here at one of the largest ADs in my area. It just so happens that my wife's first engagement ring came from the store (ex husband) and my mother services her Cartier there. Anyway, we've been emailing since October and this afternoon we chatted by phone. They are also an authorized service center for Rolex and as good luck has it, he is getting me an EZLink for my 36mm oyster perpetual. I am going in this weekend to pick it up and have it installed on my watch. We haven't met in person yet, but right off the bat he mailed me a big catalog with a hand written card, he's getting me an EZLink, and he's got me on their list for a new sub 124060 or 126610, whichever I can get. I explained how it's going to be a milestone birthday gift for myself in 2022 and I am very patient.

Everyone says to nurture these relationships and it is so true. I may not be a big spender, but just being personable and honest I think goes a long way. He flat out said they are very concerned about flippers so they want to vet people and make sure that the people they sell to intend to wear and enjoy them.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 01:09 PM   #16
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Go grey... or go grey waiting
Old 23 January 2021, 01:17 PM   #17
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
OP a lot of us a feeling what you’re feeling. Unfortunately nothings likely to change.
Feeling disappointed or depressed about the availability of Rolex watches at MSRP?

Ask your doctor if Rolexic (unobtainium blocker) is right for you.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 08:21 PM   #18
greeneyedguy
Banned

With covid putting Rolex behind on production schedules combined with an increased interested in Rolex you simply have supply and demand issues. I've got a 5 watch purchase history with my AD along with about 6K in other jewelry and I what I get told is I can get you that piece, I just have no idea when. I am going after some hard to get pieces, explorer 1, daytona c, so I understand that there's a process. I can only dream that my watches are on a workbench in Geneva being assembled and they will arrive sometime this year or next. I've got a target date as well as my life is not going to last forever. I'm 37 now. If the pieces I want don't show up in the next few years then I'll buy a Lang 1.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:04 PM   #19
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I bought my 16800 35yrs ago. At that time a lot of my co-workers had Rolex watches that they had bought in a Military Post Exchange (store) for $250. Up until the last 10 yrs I never knew anyone that had more than 1 Rolex. I have 2 only because my best friend gave me his prior to his passing. Times have changed. How many TRF's have 5 or 10 or more Rolex watches?? Watch collectors use to have a diversified collection, now there are many collectors that only have multiple Rolex. In 1985 how many Rolex watches were sold in China or any other emerging nation?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:04 PM   #20
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
If you want it now go gray. If you are ok waiting then bide your time with an AD and play the games. Or consider going vintage, which offers a lot of great options (that's the route I went and I'm not looking back).
Yes, vintage is a good idea.
Old 23 January 2021, 10:29 PM   #21
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Great idea in theory
But it falls flat on it's face because Rolex can't make enough watches(for commercial reasons) for everybody that wants one
Can't make enough watches because they keep being sold, to then come back again, up for sale 'never worn' at a higher price. A central rolex record of orders awaiting, would also identify any who presently might go around many ADs placing repeat orders. I don't want to keep visiting an AD. The Rolex online page gives a great image of all models, where one can change a dial or metal online. The only drawback is it is not possible to have the feel of the watch on the wrist, but then, if the model is not in stock at the AD, you cannot try before buy.
Old 23 January 2021, 10:47 PM   #22
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Don't let msrp mess you up. Popular SS Rolex models are very difficult to obtain and while we do see members walk in and buy certain watches cold, it is very much the exception. You should be looking at market value for the watches you want and seeing how that fits into what you would like to purchase. Most of these threads are really about money and not watches. Either pay to play or find an alternative brand that works for you. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:11 PM   #23
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Don't let msrp mess you up. Popular SS Rolex models are very difficult to obtain and while we do see members walk in and buy certain watches cold, it is very much the exception. You should be looking at market value for the watches you want and seeing how that fits into what you would like to purchase. Most of these threads are really about money and not watches. Either pay to play or find an alternative brand that works for you. Good luck.
Actually, in my original post, I mentioned seeing a steel submariner in a window, sitting in a shallow green (presentation) box, nothing like the deep 'square' box my rolex came in from the AD (11-12 years ago). That stopped me going in to ask about the watch. Then I looked the watch in the window again and thought what is all the hype about, and walked away.
Old 23 January 2021, 11:18 PM   #24
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
In 20 years my total expenditure on jewellery at an AD is a massive $0.00 .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:27 PM   #25
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

I wouldn’t play the grey game or even some AD’s games unless it’s for a kidney not a watch.
Regarding availability and incomings, it’s happening and at a very good rate, it all depends where you’re living and what type of AD is available to you.
There are the greedy ones and there are the ones that love selling to newcomers. You’re lucky if you happen to be able to deal with the second category of ADs since you’ll be able to get your watch not only at MSRP but also within a relatively short waiting time.
In order to test your luck though My advise is to ask, to knock those doors. Don’t be discouraged by posts talking about impossibilities, nothing is impossible.

Old 23 January 2021, 11:43 PM   #26
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Don’t be stressed out or disappointed. Just be patient. Outside of this forum where some people hoard watches to boost their egos, 99.9% of people care less about Rolex. There will be a lot more availability in near future, as the world gets over the pandemic.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:05 AM   #27
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I had a Rolex AD lose its Rolex franchisee few years ago. I started a new relationship with an AD with a black dial 36mm that I ordered for my daughter. It took about 4 months. I took the time to go through the DayDateII and YG green faced GMT that I had owned about ten years. I told him my SS Yachty was about two years old. I wanted to emphasize that I was not a flipper, but given the strong resale market, I would be updating some watches. He was able to get a DD40 in about months and I am on the list for a two-tone Daytona. Do not give up, invest some time with the AD and be patient.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:16 AM   #28
Aceholio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Palm Fronds!
I'm a recent first time buyer in a small market and had a wonderful experience with my AD. I would expect most smaller market AD's to be similar. If you are local to them and they are confident you're not buying to flip its just a waiting game for Rolex to send the watch. In my case, I gave them several options for SS sport watches I'd be interested in and got the call a week or two later. Did I get the rarest of the list? No. But it ended up with a wonderful 126600 and a relationship with the AD that will yield more pieces in the future. Everyone's experience is different and I hope you find the watch you seek!
Aceholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:44 AM   #29
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Don’t be stressed out or disappointed. Just be patient. Outside of this forum where some people hoard watches to boost their egos, 99.9% of people care less about Rolex. There will be a lot more availability in near future, as the world gets over the pandemic.
Good one, is the rolex hype bubble about to burst??
Just looking at Sky Dwellers for sale 'not worn' for sale or 'bids invited' on the online sales site, and then the 'sold' pages and many SD's are now with price crossed through, indicating 'offer accepted'(still more than msrp), or not sold - relisted?
Perhaps all above members views will begin to encourage me to visit the nearest AD and place my name for an 026934 ? But I hope when I do get to try it, it will not be too big for me?
Old 24 January 2021, 01:56 AM   #30
Madman37
"TRF" Member

My mate has bought a number of watches from his AD jewellery for the wife, her ring. Got invited to some release events and since the ceramic Daytona came out still on the list. He nurtured the relationship. He wants to go grey now but I told him they won’t go more than £20k so don’t spend that much they will probably go down when people are fed up of Rolex.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote