The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2020, 10:58 PM   #31
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt View Post
That is my point.
The Hesalite Speedy Pro is the only constant in Omega's collection, and has been for decades, compared to the rest of the watches which changes design every few years, based on fashion trends.
Certified for manned space flight. They would be crazy to touch that in any meaningful way. The 3861 is a very different movement compared to the 1861. And hesalite in particular is an essential part of a moonwatch, I would never want a saphire version.
That’s your own view and I respect that.

My point is that if you look at what omega are doing they are upping materials, movements and pricing where they are now in the area where Rolex are (or were). Logically, they will do something to the speedy.

To have developed and produced the 3861 for use in a couple of LE’s doesn’t make sense and it will surely make its way into the mainstream watch.

Equally, a ceramic bezel is a no brainier - and indeed expected these days.

Hesalite/sapphire - who knows, but omega can sure do one without the milky ring (look at the NTTD Seamaster). I suspect if they really wanted to push an updated speedy they’d look to sapphire.

None of this is known - just my opinion based on what omega have been doing to all their other watches. If they have the chance to lux up the speedy then I think they’d be bonkers not to do it and bring the speedy more in line with their apparent market strategy.

I’m sure there must have been similar threads when Rolex moved from 5 to 6 digits.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 11:53 PM   #32
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
That’s your own view and I respect that.

My point is that if you look at what omega are doing they are upping materials, movements and pricing where they are now in the area where Rolex are (or were). Logically, they will do something to the speedy.

To have developed and produced the 3861 for use in a couple of LE’s doesn’t make sense and it will surely make its way into the mainstream watch.

Equally, a ceramic bezel is a no brainier - and indeed expected these days.

Hesalite/sapphire - who knows, but omega can sure do one without the milky ring (look at the NTTD Seamaster). I suspect if they really wanted to push an updated speedy they’d look to sapphire.

None of this is known - just my opinion based on what omega have been doing to all their other watches. If they have the chance to lux up the speedy then I think they’d be bonkers not to do it and bring the speedy more in line with their apparent market strategy.

I’m sure there must have been similar threads when Rolex moved from 5 to 6 digits.

IMHO, I really can’t imagine an omega catalog without a space flight certified speedy. To many, it’s the identity of the brand. So that means unless they spend the $ to re-engineer new materials (ceramic, sapphire) to make them space worthy , I think you will always see a hesalite version with aluminum bezel. I agree with others though, that the movement will prob change as compared with the watch casing/crystal/bezel it is less of a hazard in space .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:24 AM   #33
enkrypt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
IMHO, I really can’t imagine an omega catalog without a space flight certified speedy. To many, it’s the identity of the brand. So that means unless they spend the $ to re-engineer new materials (ceramic, sapphire) to make them space worthy , I think you will always see a hesalite version with aluminum bezel. I agree with others though, that the movement will prob change as compared with the watch casing/crystal/bezel it is less of a hazard in space .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fully agreed. Maybe they will upgrade the movement yeah, but all other details that make the Moonwatch the Moonwatch, they are here to stay. At least I hope that, from the bottom of my heart.
If you want a Rolex Daytona equivalent, with all the bells & whistles, Omega can sell you the 14k 321 movement Speedy.
This way they cover all the bases.
enkrypt is offline   Reply With Quote