The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Thoughts please - Spring drive GMT -v - high beat GMT - V - BRLO

Hi all,

Set out today to speak to my AD about a BLRO. He's always been extremely fair and has come through for me in the past.

On route to my Rolex AD I passed the local GS AD and saw the new SBGJ237 GMT in the display. Curiosity got the better of me so I went in and asked to see it.

I've always been drawn to the GS spring drive GMTs, particularly the Sport GMTs with the sapphire bezel. Was seriously tempted with the SBGE245G limited edition but never quite got to buying one.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. Looks so much better in real life and so much better again on the wrist. Looks and wears a lot smaller than the numbers suggest and a little smaller in fact than my SD43. Makes the significantly more expensive (and harder to get) BLRO look a little bit second rate, to be honest.

The finish was impeccable, and the bracelet now has screws for the links and a proper clasp with micro adjustment holes.

Really like the blue and white on the bezel and the dial. But then I'm also a big fan of the SBGE245G and think I could get one for a similar price.

So I guess the third part of my "versus" question is out - the BLRO is now out if the equation (for now!) which brings me back to the movement question of spring drive v high beat.

I'm drawn to the spring drive from an accuracy/technology perspective and the continuous sweeping second hand, but then the high beat movement is itself a very worthy movement.

Anyone have both?

Leaving the dial and bezel colours aside - what would you go for and why?

Thoughts, opinions would be welcome and appreciated.

(Pic attached for reference)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko-Grand-Seiko-Spring-Drive-GMT-Sport-SBGJ237G.002.jpg (262.0 KB, 764 views)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:28 AM   #2
Mike1234567
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hi all,

Set out today to speak to my AD about a BLRO. He's always been extremely fair and has come through for me in the past.

On route to my Rolex AD I passed the local GS AD and saw the new SBGJ237 GMT in the display. Curiosity got the better of me so I went in and asked to see it.

I've always been drawn to the GS spring drive GMTs, particularly the Sport GMTs with the sapphire bezel. Was seriously tempted with the SBGE245G limited edition but never quite got to buying one.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. Looks so much better in real life and so much better again on the wrist. Looks and wears a lot smaller than the numbers suggest and a little smaller in fact than my SD43. Makes the significantly more expensive (and harder to get) BLRO look a little bit second rate, to be honest.

The finish was impeccable, and the bracelet now has screws for the links and a proper clasp with micro adjustment holes.

Really like the blue and white on the bezel and the dial. But then I'm also a big fan of the SBGE245G and think I could get one for a similar price.

So I guess the third part of my "versus" question is out - the BLRO is now out if the equation (for now!) which brings me back to the movement question of spring drive v high beat.

I'm drawn to the spring drive from an accuracy/technology perspective and the continuous sweeping second hand, but then the high beat movement is itself a very worthy movement.

Anyone have both?

That is an incredible timepiece! I have both GS and Rolex. Neither of the models your post though. Rolex is Rolex, and requires no explanation; GS is incredible but indeed, requires explanation "er, no, it's not a Seiko, they have a different factory you see..." Etc.

I would be hesitant to get a GS as a tool watch, but if I wasn't going to be "hard" on it, without a doubt I'd grab the model in your post. If I wanted a tool watch, Rolex or Omega, hands down.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Mike1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 02:21 AM   #3
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I tried it on a few weeks ago. Deeply impressive, but it was too big, and the superlative finishing meant it was the shiniest, glintiest watch I've ever seen. Too bling for me! That said, there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be used as a tool watch.

BLRO, BLNR or any other Rolex GMT if it were my choice.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 02:26 AM   #4
Mike1234567
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I tried it on a few weeks ago. Deeply impressive, but it was too big, and the superlative finishing meant it was the shiniest, glintiest watch I've ever seen. Too bling for me! That said, there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be used as a tool watch.

BLRO, BLNR or any other Rolex GMT if it were my choice.
There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be used as a tool watch but I'd simply choose the Rolex as a tool watch over the GS; it's ruggedness is proven.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Mike1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 03:33 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Beautiful watch.

I think when it comes to GS, one “needs” (in true TRF fashion ) at least one Spring Drive, one Hi-Beat and one 9F.

But, if one can have only one, then I think the Spring Drive is the way to go. Such a special movement.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 09:44 AM   #6
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Icon6

I’ll vote for this one. It’s the one I chose and it’s incredible
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B6E6B5A9-9FC6-403B-9874-1826669869CC.jpeg (104.1 KB, 700 views)
Old 17 September 2020, 10:16 AM   #7
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Thoughts please - Spring drive GMT -v - high beat GMT - V - BRLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hi all,

Anyone have both?

I have the old one and love it

And it fits nicely with this

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I have a hi beat GMT (iwate) and a BLRO. Both can co-exist in a collection. And i love blue. So both have a place in my stash.

For travelling and if i can get only one, would pick the BLRO as it can track three time zones.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:51 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Go for it! You have answered most of your questions. If only I have larger wrist.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 11:50 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I went for the sbge255/257 as 40.5 is more for my wrist. Amazing watch. The dials are outrageous. I do also like the bezel on the 44mm pictured but it’s too large for me as well. The lume on it looks insane
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 07:31 AM   #11
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I love GS and Rolex. GS quality is absolutely killer, and spring drive is decades ahead of anyone else in the world. The technology is really appealing to me having an engineering background.

I do think the sbgj is big at 44mm, but I’ll be honest in that I’ve never tried it on. I opted for the more recently release sbge257 - which is the 40.5mm with ceramic (non rotating) bezel with gmt and spring drive. It’s the perfect size, and such a beautiful piece. I did a review here on it:

Grand Seiko GMT SBGE257 - A Week on the Wrist https://youtu.be/z5ylDeNOkfU

Lastly - I have the BLNR. And I have to say... get both? They’re both really amazing time pieces but very different, and both get a lot of wrist time out of my collection. The blro will likely take awhile to get from your dealer, and the GS you’ll be able to get now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 09:18 AM   #12
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I have a BLNR and SBGJ237. Both watches wear wonderfully. My wrist is 7.25” but the 237 wears much smaller than the measurements and the BLNR wears bigger than its 40mm.
The way GS smoothes the bottom side of the watch, as well as that the 237 tapers in make it really comfortable. The bezel is the widest part of the watch and the crown at 4 also makes it wear smaller. Buy the 237. You won’t be disappointed.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:48 AM   #13
TheGuvna
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS/Omega
I did a part trade, a brand new GS "snowflake" and a bunch of cash for my 5 year old GMT II (all black). So that should explain where I stand......

Was the best trade I have ever made. The GMT was just a watch that i bought because I knew Rolex was cool and it looked nice (back in 15 you could get anything at the AD!). The snowflake and that movement is so much more to me than just a watch. Can't really explain it, but my collection now is based on ME and not trends.

Also that GS GMT is absolutely beautiful and so different than any other GMT out there, but which one makes your heart go boom?
Old 30 September 2020, 11:50 AM   #14
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
What a tough question. Last year when I first looked at Grand Seiko, I purchased a Spring Drive (SBGA413). Love it. The movement is truly unique and special. Next will be a high-beat movement. I love the traditional aspect of watch making as well as the high beat rate.
So my advice, start with Spring Drive. If you love it, buy a high-beat!
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 08:46 PM   #15
datejust&gmtfan
"TRF" Member

I just got the SBGJ237 from the Seiko Boutique in Melbourne Australia. I was terrified re: the size (I have 16cm wrists, my go to is a 16710, but I can also wear a 3796R comfortably).

All the comments about the sbgj237 wearing smaller are on point. It does. It’s still a big watch, but if you acknowledge it for what it is (a big watch), it doesn’t stand out that much. Wishing it to be something it isn’t won’t work. Accept it, make sure it doesn’t look ridiculous, and just soak it in. Getting it fitted properly counts too. I had 3 links taken out, and the rep spent time making sure we took the right links from the right sides of the bracket - ie two on one side and one on the other. Then toying with the micro adjust to get the fit just so.

It’s a great watch. To be honest I haven’t felt this “wow” or blown away by any watch other than my Lange. And the watch before that was another GS.

So if you’re thinking about it, do it!
datejust&gmtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2020, 09:03 AM   #16
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

I have both a GS diver w/ spring drive and BLRO. Both are incredible pieces. I would pick the movement if GS, as spring drive is amazing, highly accurate, and very low maintenance compared to other mechanical movements. It's a nice problem to have. YMMV
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #17
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Be careful if you jump into Spring Drive. It will spoil you! I got my first GS with a Spring Drive last month and it has been incredible. Near perfect accuracy and that amazing sweep of the second hand makes traditional mechanical watches seem barbaric.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 01:53 AM   #18
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Welcome to the world of Grand Seiko! I'm a newbie myself, having bought the WoS Collaboration Toge SBGM241 a few weeks ago. GS has reeled me in - hook, line, and sinker.

Both movements are absolutely incredible. The Spring Drive is in a class by itself, but some would prefer a more traditional escapement/balance wheel movement. That's where the hi-beat comes in.

I will say that if you're leaning towards the hi-beat, pay attention to what they're planning with the brand new 9SA5 movement. It's a dual-impulse movement which achieves something similar to the Omega Co-axial movement. It also has a free-sprung balance, and a horizontal gear train, which allows for a thinner case. It's quite the innovation. They're putting it in the new limited edition, SLGH003 right now, and it will be interesting to see where else they use it in the future.

My personal opinion is that the Spring Drive is best in the GS Heritage Collection, particularly the Seasons releases. There's something about that mesmerizing sweep over the serene seasons dials. It's just so beautiful and peaceful. So if you're looking to eventually add both, I'd do that and a hi-beat sports model.

Here's a short video that helped me understand the Spring Drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoEorK6elZM
Old 30 December 2020, 09:16 AM   #19
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
I have a Spring Drive (SBGA413) and a High Beat GMT (SBGJ235). Both are fantastic watches and keep great time. The Spring Drive is .4 seconds per day and the High Beat is 1.7 seconds per day (both fast).
Considering Spring Drive is unique to GS, I'd go for that unless I already had one.
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:14 AM   #20
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
awesome watch !
i'd simply say own all 3. don't think i could choose, although i may have already really.
own and love my SBGA029
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 06:11 PM   #21
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Which GMT

I used to own the GS Spring Drive GMT but now own the Rolex BLRO. I prefer the Rolex in this case because it is just more of a classic. I like the Grand Seiko but the look and feel of the Rolex is better IMO.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote