The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #121
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
@SgWatchBaron I just checked out your IG and Your collection is incredible

Cheers buddy. Thank you. Have a great one.
Old 14 April 2018, 07:35 AM   #122
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I can see why Yanks would feel this way, but you need to remember that us Europeans (I'm a Scotsman living in the NYC area) find references to meters to be insignificant and commonplace. I don't find meters-first to be cooler at all. To each their own, of course!

I hear ya.
But they are cooler!!

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #123
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
I hear ya.
But they are cooler!!

------
HA! I've yet to hear anyone give a good explanation WHY some people consider them cooler. I'm all ears and ready to be convinced.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 07:48 AM   #124
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
HA! I've yet to hear anyone give a good explanation WHY some people consider them cooler. I'm all ears and ready to be convinced.
They are much more rare. Some value that. Some don’t.
Old 14 April 2018, 07:57 AM   #125
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Red Submariner

Quote:

Aaron, you know me. I’m just playing with you. But I *personally* prefer them for their relative rarity in the US market. It’s like you and I both love our “mini rail” 5512s!

Here’s my MF 5513

I mean how can you not be crazy about that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 April 2018, 08:16 AM   #126
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The only exception I can think of where matte dial ff is valued more than matte dial mf is the maxi Subs. Mf will almost always carry a premium over ff, due to scarcity.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 09:59 AM   #127
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
They are much more rare. Some value that. Some don’t.
Agreed that some people place value on that, but I'm not sure that makes them "cooler."

However, note that feet-first dials on 5512s are actually more rare if you take the reference's entire production run into account, and assuming Rolex made roughly the same amount each year. The 5512s ran from 1959 to 1978, with the last 8-9 years being made with feet-first dials.
Old 14 April 2018, 10:19 AM   #128
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed that some people place value on that, but I'm not sure that makes them "cooler."

However, note that feet-first dials on 5512s are actually more rare if you take the reference's entire production run into account, and assuming Rolex made roughly the same amount each year. The 5512s ran from 1959 to 1978, with the last 8-9 years being made with feet-first dials.
Point being?

Are you comparing matte feet first dials with mostly gilt versions. That is really comparing apples to oranges. And I am also fairly sure Rolex production went up a lot year by year from -59 to 1978. Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. I’m however happy to discuss this further as it seems to need some explaining.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:35 AM   #129
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

This thread is on fire. Here is my apparently POS Mk1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 April 2018, 12:16 PM   #130
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

That’s a Rookie purchase clearly. What’s the price?
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 12:58 PM   #131
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
MF and FF are both great.

btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 01:03 PM   #132
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
MF and FF are both great.

Yum

Old 14 April 2018, 06:24 PM   #133
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really as good as it gets.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:39 PM   #134
Dries
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Gorgeous
Dries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:11 AM   #135
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Point being?

Are you comparing matte feet first dials with mostly gilt versions. That is really comparing apples to oranges. And I am also fairly sure Rolex production went up a lot year by year from -59 to 1978. Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. I’m however happy to discuss this further as it seems to need some explaining.
It's relevant because you keep writing that meters-first dials are more rare on Subs, although I realize you were referring mostly to red 1680s. However, it's interesting that feet-first dials are actually more rare on the 5512. I don't place any special significance on that fact, the same way I personally don't place any additional desirability on meters-first dials.

I'm all about wrist presence, case thickness, patina, and overall feel of a vintage Sub. The order of words/numbers adds nothing visually, IMHO. But hey, I feel the same way about the hype over rail dials. Not impressed by that one detail at all. Maybe it's just me. We all have our own likes and dislikes and quirks.
Old 15 April 2018, 12:14 AM   #136
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:

Yeah it is on fire. Here’s my “less cool” POS chocolate mk5
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:16 AM   #137
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
Aaron, you know me. I’m just playing with you. But I *personally* prefer them for their relative rarity in the US market. It’s like you and I both love our “mini rail” 5512s!

Here’s my MF 5513

I mean how can you not be crazy about that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stunning! But that Sub would be equally beautiful if you put the "660" first.

I just realized ... this thread needs more feet-first dials!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5512-TRF copy.jpg (274.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 15 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #138
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stunning! But that Sub would be equally beautiful if you put the "660" first.

Hahahaha ok

------
Old 15 April 2018, 02:54 AM   #139
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Yeah it is on fire. Here’s my “less cool” POS chocolate mk5
Amazing example. Sick! Although it's ruined, of course, by the order of the depth rating.
Old 15 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #140
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amazing example. Sick! Although it's ruined, of course, by the order of the depth rating.
Knowledge sharing is super fun with you guys. I must admit that. The arguments are fantastic and the overall tone against those that aren’t in the friend column is super welcoming.

Super sad to be honest. I used to think people actually appreciated people trying to help by sharing knowledge and experience. Apparantly forum friends and being forum elite somehow is more important.

Sorry for jumping in and trying to help and educate members here. You may continue to create forum myths and hype which is local to only TRF. I give up.
Old 15 April 2018, 03:29 AM   #141
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Knowledge sharing is super fun with you guys. I must admit that. The arguments are fantastic and the overall tone against those that aren’t in the friend column is super welcoming.

Super sad to be honest. I used to think people actually appreciated people trying to help by sharing knowledge and experience. Apparantly forum friends and being forum elite somehow is more important.

Sorry for jumping in and trying to help and educate members here. You may continue to create forum myths and hype which is local to only TRF. I give up.

We all are just sharing our different opinions, knowledge and experience, hopefully with a little fun thrown in. Don’t take it personally. Everyone’s opinion, including yours, is always welcome. How boring it would be here if everyone agreed about everything.
Old 15 April 2018, 03:32 AM   #142
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

I’m pretty sure Aaron was just having some fun with his comment. I, for one, absolutely appreciate and welcome your insight. Please don’t give up!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 03:41 AM   #143
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We all are just sharing our different opinions, knowledge and experience, hopefully with a little fun thrown in. Don’t take it personally.
It’s just constantly lame here. No matter how hard one tries. One friend sticks up for the other regardless what is being said. Knowledge level is not at its highest (not saying I know it all) but it is generally low. When tricky q’s come up noone answers until someone actually says anything and then everyone seems to know. When questionable watches are posted everyone jumps in with an opinion as long as the seller is not a friend of the forum. When someone with a good rep screws up everyone look in another direction and the thread/post quickly dissapears from the first page. No idea what happened to the old times when people actually was friendly and shared info.

I used to find forums fun but the more I post here the more unwelcome I feel. Not just this thread but as soon as you post anything against someone (not to argue but to share knowledge) you get ridiculed or belittled by the same users. Over and over again.
Old 15 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #144
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s just constantly lame here. No matter how hard one tries. One friend sticks up for the other regardless what is being said. Knowledge level is not at its highest (not saying I know it all) but it varies a lot. When tricky q’s come up noone answers until someone actually says anything and then everyone seems to know. When questionable watches are posted everyone jumps in with an opinion as long as the seller is not a friend of the forum. When someone with a good rep screws up everyone look in another direction and the thread/post quickly dissapears from the first page. No idea what happened to the old times when people actually was friendly and shared info.

I used to find forums fun but the more I post here the more unwelcome I feel.
So you want us to feel sorry for you that you feel singled out? There for this forum is lame?You think you’re the only one that deals with form rhetoric? The fact I been a member here for 10+ years really means nothing and doesn’t protect me from attacks. Did you not read the watch Barron’s posts completely ripping me and my watch apart because he didn’t agree with my opinion?

I personally don’t like to see anyone being picked on or singled out. I tried to stick up for a newer member that I don’t even know from being discarded and being called a rookie. I only want friendly discussion, but I too can say the same. Anytime a member doesn’t go along with a general idea or opinion, they get teamed up on.

So please, don’t make yourself out to be the only one that deals with it.

We can all agree to disagree. No one is trying to devalue any example, we are just sharing our opinions with one another.

Knowledge is power and that knowledge doesn’t always have to share everyone else’s beliefs. It’s a diversified world we live in.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:02 AM   #145
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
So you want us to feel sorry for you that you feel singled out? There for this forum is lame?You think you’re the only one that deals with form rhetoric? The fact I been a member here for 10+ years really means nothing and doesn’t protect me from attacks. Did you not read the watch Barron’s posts completely ripping me and my watch apart because he didn’t agree with my opinion?

I personally don’t like to see anyone being picked on or singled out. I tried to stick up for a newer member that I don’t even know from being discarded and being called a rookie. I only want friendly discussion, but I too can say the same. Anytime a member doesn’t go along with a general idea or opinion, they get teamed up on.

So please, don’t make yourself out to be the only one that deals with it.

We can all agree to disagree. No one is trying to devalue any example, we are just sharing our opinions with one another.

Knowledge is power and that knowledge doesn’t always have to share everyone else’s beliefs. It’s a diversified world we live in.
I don’t feel sorry for myself. I just said I give up. Continue to cherrish what you like. It is apprantly just not for me. I just said what I felt had to be said. No one needs to agree.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:03 AM   #146
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks brother. But the depth order thing kind of does unbalance the dial
Old 15 April 2018, 04:05 AM   #147
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s just constantly lame here. No matter how hard one tries. One friend sticks up for the other regardless what is being said. Knowledge level is not at its highest (not saying I know it all) but it is generally low. When tricky q’s come up noone answers until someone actually says anything and then everyone seems to know. When questionable watches are posted everyone jumps in with an opinion as long as the seller is not a friend of the forum. When someone with a good rep screws up everyone look in another direction and the thread/post quickly dissapears from the first page. No idea what happened to the old times when people actually was friendly and shared info.

I used to find forums fun but the more I post here the more unwelcome I feel. Not just this thread but as soon as you post anything against someone (not to argue but to share knowledge) you get ridiculed or belittled by the same users. Over and over again.
Sorry you feel this way. I've been here almost a decade, and collecting much longer, and I don't share your opinion about this forum. Sure, some of this stuff happens _ like on any forum _ but I find people here for the most part are friendly, knowledgable and like to share in the fun and love of vintage Rolexes.

Sometimes tone is misread with the written word. I have a feeling if we were all at a bar drinking beer and looking at our watches, we'd all be having fun sharing opinions, and yes, disagreeing over what we like and don't like.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:06 AM   #148
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry you feel this way. I've been here almost a decade, and collecting much longer, and I don't share your opinion about this forum. Sure, some of this stuff happens _ like on any forum _ but I find people here for the most part are friendly, knowledgable and like to share in the fun and love of vintage Rolexes.

Sometimes tone is misread with the written word. I have a feeling if we were all at a bar drinking beer and looking at our watches, we'd all be having fun sharing opinions, and yes, disagreeing over what we like and don't like.
+1 well said
Old 15 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #149
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And I’ve been on and off for almost a decade as well. Everytime I get fed up by the same thing as this time.

I wont dissapear but it really takes the fun out of sharing when you get the feeling you are bullied in highschool for not being one of the cool kids. I really don’t understand why it has to be this way.