The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 February 2010, 04:22 AM   #31
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
AND my insert pearl actually glows. (And you say......but mine's original to the watch )
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 04:27 AM   #32
jdc
"TRF" Member

I hope Jedly is the same guy from VRF, if so I believe he has a lot of experience of vintage Rolex and can benefit us here on TRF
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:01 AM   #33
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Yours looks very nice (probably the nicest I have seen beside my own) but I wouldn't say it's in as good of shape as mine. And I have service papers x2. If you put on a new bezel then it would make a world of difference IMO.

Bezel why, its pristine. Here's the complete set with the original box and papers (not service).

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:06 AM   #34
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post

Bezel why, its pristine. Here's the complete set with the original box and papers (not service).

nice Pav, very nice QED
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:08 AM   #35
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
Quote:

would that be a complete original set then Pav?
mmmmm
i would say thats a winner mate
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:11 AM   #36
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
would that be a complete original set then Pav?
mmmmm
i would say thats a winner mate
Thanks m8. You don't see the full/original 'goodies' that often.

Thank you Martin....
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:15 AM   #37
gufle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Quote:
The watch shown is a 6239
gufle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:15 AM   #38
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks m8. You don't see the full/original 'goodies' that often.
to be honest its the first complete set i have seen mate normally something is missing or only got half of what there should be
Old 19 February 2010, 05:16 AM   #39
gufle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Quote:
The watch shown is a 6262, so you just mixed up the pictures.
gufle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 05:33 AM   #40
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
to be honest its the first complete set i have seen mate normally something is missing or only got half of what there should be
Where is the anchor????? Hummmm
Old 19 February 2010, 05:37 AM   #41
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:

[/IMG]
My bezel has only been turned twice (only a quarter turn too).
Old 19 February 2010, 06:57 AM   #42
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where is the anchor????? Hummmm
most ad's held back the anchors (used them as key rings lol) and often the swing tags as stock control so its moslty acceptable to call a set complete without them.

lovely watch you have there dd but if you want to put it up as contender for non better you'll find thats a big claim to make, ( if you want to be in the running id strongly suggest you find a period bezel insert rather than the rather unpleasant skinny font service one thats in, and a nice matching non luminous dot, and a superdome crystal - non of which should be that hard to do.

Interestingly your hands seem a tad off, do they still glow, as from the scans its hard to tell if they are luminova service ones also ?

as for finding drsd, its weird world these days, the majority of trading mis going on behind closed doors with very little adverising going on, so you need to know where and with whom to look, but heres a good one with the kind of patina that people like, up in public ;

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...-%26gt%3B+more

and heres a nice one at similar price with a dealer in NYC ...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/L1230697.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/L1230714.jpg

heres a nice loose one, that has just sold .

http://www.10pastten.com/inventory/d...?item_id=TA423
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 06:59 AM   #43
jedly1
"TRF" Member

hey mav, never said he'd find one at the quality level of yours mate !!!
Old 19 February 2010, 07:01 AM   #44
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufle View Post
The watch shown is a 6262, so you just mixed up the pictures.
I don't think I did. Here is another 6262 and a 6239 in a catalog.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=76235
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page257Ref6262112.jpg (58.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg rolex_image_1118401.jpg (107.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 19 February 2010, 07:13 AM   #45
jedly1
"TRF" Member

from the outside apart from some very early ones with a slightly different bezel calibration there is no real noticeable difference between a 6262 and a 6239. the difference is in the movement.

on the dials, a 6239 can have no daytona, daytona highset up near rolex or as normal near the 6 oclock sub dial.

a 6262 can have no daytona , daytona highset up near rolex or as normal near the 6 oclock sub dial.

the scans you show DD, the top one is an oddity, its a 6238/9 type crossover, doctors model and is by no means standard

the bottom scan is the catalogue page for exotic dials ?
Old 19 February 2010, 07:18 AM   #46
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
most ad's held back the anchors (used them as key rings lol) and often the swing tags as stock control so its moslty acceptable to call a set complete without them.

lovely watch you have there dd but if you want to put it up as contender for non better you'll find thats a big claim to make, ( if you want to be in the running id strongly suggest you find a period bezel insert rather than the rather unpleasant skinny font service one thats in, and a nice matching non luminous dot, and a superdome crystal - non of which should be that hard to do.

Interestingly your hands seem a tad off, do they still glow, as from the scans its hard to tell if they are luminova service ones also ?

as for finding drsd, its weird world these days, the majority of trading mis going on behind closed doors with very little adverising going on, so you need to know where and with whom to look, but heres a good one with the kind of patina that people like, up in public ;

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...-%26gt%3B+more

and heres a nice one at similar price with a dealer in NYC ...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/L1230697.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/L1230714.jpg
My hands are original to the watch. And no they don't glow. As for the insert, pearl, and crystal.....I like them and they are staying. My watch was just pressure tested and is still under warranty. The older crystals leak often as many have told me. I wouldn't want to flood the thing by being nostalgic and placing a superdome on it. I also like a fresh insert. I would rather have a nice dark black unscratched bezel than an old faded one with slightly wider numbers. I think the new bezel looks amazing with the edges nice and sharp. The old ones look worn and rounded on the edges to me. The pearl is nice. I think its a nice touch where old meets new. If its good enough for RUSA then its good enough for me.

And that DRSD in those pictures has a wide bevel on the side of the case/lugs. I don't like it and I don't think it was sold with the case looking like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5910.jpg (38.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 19 February 2010, 07:19 AM   #47
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry Dads ...

Pav's knocked you for six with this rig.

Outta the park.

I'd love to go to one of these watch fairs, perhaps Anastasios will sign me in the next time he's over.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:20 AM   #48
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
from the outside apart from some very early ones with a slightly different bezel calibration there is no real noticeable difference between a 6262 and a 6239. the difference is in the movement.

on the dials, a 6239 can have no daytona, daytona highset up near rolex or as normal near the 6 oclock sub dial.

a 6262 can have no daytona , daytona highset up near rolex or as normal near the 6 oclock sub dial.

the scans you show DD, the top one is an oddity, its a 6238/9 type crossover, doctors model and is by no means standard

the bottom scan is the catalogue page for exotic dials ?
Ah, thanks for the info. I don't know much about Daytona's other than I like them.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:20 AM   #49
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Sorry Dads ...

Pav's knocked you for six with this rig.

Outta the park.

I'd love to go to one of these watch fairs, perhaps Anastasios will sign me in the next time he's over.
He's a show off.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:25 AM   #50
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, you can.... with original box and papers.

G'day Pav,

Thats a beautiful watch !!

I cannot get sick of seeing it !

Fanstastic example .

cheers

Mark
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 07:29 AM   #51
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's a show off.

oh you do make me chuckle from time to time
Old 19 February 2010, 07:33 AM   #52
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My hands are original to the watch. And no they don't glow. As for the insert, pearl, and crystal.....I like them and they are staying. My watch was just pressure tested and is still under warranty. The older crystals leak often as many have told me. I wouldn't want to flood the thing by being nostalgic and placing a superdome on it. I also like a fresh insert. I would rather have a nice dark black unscratched bezel than an old faded one with slightly wider numbers. I think the new bezel looks amazing with the edges nice and sharp. The old ones look worn and rounded on the edges to me. The pearl is nice. I think its a nice touch where old meets new. If its good enough for RUSA then its good enough for me.

And that DRSD in those pictures has a wide bevel on the side of the case/lugs. I don't like it and I don't think it was sold with the case looking like that.

LOL, thats the point the watch was sold with a bevel like that, there are only two service centres that can recreate it, Rolex UK and Rolex Geneva ( where that was serviced) and generally people pay a premium for the ' bexley' edge as its known, thats why the watch is shot to show the edge

. there is no one who kills a case polish better than Rolex USA, mind you there is no one in the world who kills vintage watches better than Rolex usa full stop !!!!

heres another ;

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/IMG_2079.jpg
Old 19 February 2010, 07:35 AM   #53
jedly1
"TRF" Member

and on the daytona's, i should say that one big diiferential on price between the two models for many people is that generally rolex will still service a 6262 and wont service a 6239
Old 19 February 2010, 07:38 AM   #54
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
LOL, thats the point the watch was sold with a bevel like that, there are only two service centres that can recreate it, Rolex UK and Rolex Geneva ( where that was serviced) and generally people pay a premium for the ' bexley' edge as its known, thats why the watch is shot to show the edge

. there is no one who kills a case polish better than Rolex USA, mind you there is no one in the world who kills vintage watches better than Rolex usa full stop !!!!
From what I have learned on this forum, it is Bexley that kills cases by putting that bevel on the watch. There was an entire thread on this topic.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:48 AM   #55
jedly1
"TRF" Member

then it was misguided....

here is probably what most would consider to be the best one to ever surface (certainly in terms of general sale retail not thincase, double name, tropical etc), found by JD back in 2007, having been worn 2-3 times then placed in a drawer. The most amazing safe queen patina that people would kill for note the bevelled edge, exactly as a 70's dive watch would have come.

a square cut or rounded edge is a sure sign of a service centre, or local watchmaker not having the ability or inclination to do it as it should be.

for the full story on this one and bigger scans

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...2&rev=&reveal=

Old 19 February 2010, 07:52 AM   #56
DadsWatch72
Banned

Here is a picture from the Double Red Sea Dweller website. The bevel is very small. You can take away metal but you can't add it. It was not there when it was produced (not the wide bevel but a very small one).

Edit- I can't copy that picture, its too big. If you look at the first picture of the Mark IV dial/case you will notice there is only a very small bevel. A large bevel is used to cover up large edge nicks IMO.

http://doubleredseadweller.com/dr_dials.htm
Old 19 February 2010, 08:04 AM   #57
jedly1
"TRF" Member

err, yes, thats because if it is serviced by anyone other then it receives a side polish and a top polish and both have to be done more if there are nicks on the edge, as the side is taken down it reduced the size of the bevel, the three way polish of side top and angle is where it gets difficult.

i think thats one of ed's old ones, and whilst it has a nice case, it isn#t unpolished.

have a good look at the NOS stock one link posted above, that should be your reference point of how it left the factory.

if the issue is how was it originally, its bevelled, if the question is how it should be if maintained by the manufacturer(i.e. rolex geneva, not an affilitate service centre) then the answer is bevelled. if the question is which do you prefer then that of course is a personal choice and everyone will make their own mind up. These days though the move is originality, and original is bevelled IMHO
Old 19 February 2010, 11:29 AM   #58
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
err, yes, thats because if it is serviced by anyone other then it receives a side polish and a top polish and both have to be done more if there are nicks on the edge, as the side is taken down it reduced the size of the bevel, the three way polish of side top and angle is where it gets difficult.

i think thats one of ed's old ones, and whilst it has a nice case, it isn#t unpolished.

have a good look at the NOS stock one link posted above, that should be your reference point of how it left the factory.

if the issue is how was it originally, its bevelled, if the question is how it should be if maintained by the manufacturer(i.e. rolex geneva, not an affilitate service centre) then the answer is bevelled. if the question is which do you prefer then that of course is a personal choice and everyone will make their own mind up. These days though the move is originality, and original is bevelled IMHO
+1 Jedly. The case you posted with the bevel edge looks NOS.

The new supercase models do not have the beveled edges and on most older models the bevel is worn making it look rounded. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 11:31 AM   #59
maverick
Banned

Quote:
hey mav, never said he'd find one at the quality level of yours mate !!!
Thanks Jedly, had me worried there. LOL =) maverick
Old 19 February 2010, 11:34 AM   #60
maverick
Banned

Quote:
then it was misguided....

here is probably what most would consider to be the best one to ever surface (certainly in terms of general sale retail not thincase, double name, tropical etc), found by JD back in 2007, having been worn 2-3 times then placed in a drawer. The most amazing safe queen patina that people would kill for note the bevelled edge, exactly as a 70's dive watch would have come.

a square cut or rounded edge is a sure sign of a service centre, or local watchmaker not having the ability or inclination to do it as it should be.

for the full story on this one and bigger scans

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...2&rev=&reveal=

A case like that will get my attention FAST! It looks so pristine. =) maverick