The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 November 2014, 06:49 AM   #61
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Get a life man, nobody is interested in what you continue to say all trough this post. We all heared you now let it go...

By the way, great watch OP !
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 06:58 AM   #62
KellyM3
Banned

well then no one should have responded if no one cares, but, I do note some did agree.

unfortunately, I don't take advice about my life from you, as I have no idea who you are, nor did I direct anything at you, so instead of continuing what you claim you want to end, perhaps you should take your own advice.
KellyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 07:22 AM   #63
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Old 12 November 2014, 07:43 AM   #64
KellyM3
Banned

Correct, that is what calling it a "Steve McQueen" watch is...your little guy's flag says it all!
Old 12 November 2014, 07:44 AM   #65
KellyM3
Banned

Thanks for the support Robby, cheers and smooches.
Old 12 November 2014, 07:52 AM   #66
KellyM3
Banned

Oh, and by the way, if this is how you all treat a woman, I would hate to see how you would have responded to a male making these posts. Just because I am a female, does not mean that I don't know watches, or have a right to an opinion.
Old 12 November 2014, 08:09 AM   #67
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

This is'nt about sexes... For that no need to feel offended or violated in your feminine rights

Anyway i'm done ( but still loving the orange mcQueen )
Old 12 November 2014, 08:18 AM   #68
KellyM3
Banned

It is a bit late, as I have seen males in this forum raise this very issue, and in a similar fashion, and not seen them treated in this fashion. Not at all. When they have a differing opinion, it is viewed as a "healthy debate."

When a female like me raises a similar issue, then I am personally attacked and treated in a condescending fashion. Please, do not insult my intelligence further with your backpedaling. You should be ashamed of your behavior. I did not insult or personally attack anyone here, I merely expressed an opinion which was based in fact. You and others here were nothing short of rude to me. I hope that you treat your wives, daughters and mothers better than that.

You, sir, need to get a life.
Old 12 November 2014, 08:40 AM   #69
pngates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM3 View Post
It is a bit late, as I have seen males in this forum raise this very issue, and in a similar fashion, and not seen them treated in this fashion. Not at all. When they have a differing opinion, it is viewed as a "healthy debate."

When a female like me raises a similar issue, then I am personally attacked and treated in a condescending fashion. Please, do not insult my intelligence further with your backpedaling. You should be ashamed of your behavior. I did not insult or personally attack anyone here, I merely expressed an opinion which was based in fact. You and others here were nothing short of rude to me. I hope that you treat your wives, daughters and mothers better than that.

You, sir, need to get a life.
Kelly FYI I had no idea you were a female nor does that make a difference. I would say that by even bringing that up is in itself prepetuating a sexist situation brought on only by yourself. Do not judge me or how I treat the women in my life considering you also dont know anything about me. And I'm terribly sorry for calling it a Steve McQueen rolex, if it bothers you that much just leave this post, because there are plenty of people both male and female here who have nice things to say. No real need for negativity...
pngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 08:51 AM   #70
pngates

Quote:
Correct, that is what calling it a "Steve McQueen" watch is...your little guy's flag says it all!
http://www.mcqueenonline.com/rolexexplorer2.htm

https://www.collectorsquare.com/mont...rolex-1655/lpi

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/r...and-model-1655

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2008/7/...r-ii-1655.html

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....-steve-mcqueen

http://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blo...orer-1655.html

Leave this post.
Old 12 November 2014, 09:00 AM   #71
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngates View Post
Kelly FYI I had no idea you were a female nor does that make a difference. I would say that by even bringing that up is in itself prepetuating a sexist situation brought on only by yourself. Do not judge me or how I treat the women in my life considering you also dont know anything about me. And I'm terribly sorry for calling it a Steve McQueen rolex, if it bothers you that much just leave this post, because there are plenty of people both male and female here who have nice things to say. No real need for negativity...
Don't apologize for calling it a Steve McQueen. While I have never seen anything definitive to show that the name is deserving, I ALSO HAVE NEVER SEEN DEFINITE PROOF THAT IT SHOULDN'T BE THE NICKNAME USED. There are no absolutes with this topic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We need to stop feeding the troll.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 09:01 AM   #72
lsettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/14060/3570.5
Sweet Steve Mcqueen you have there !

Lawrence
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 09:02 AM   #73
pngates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Don't apologize for calling it a Steve McQueen. While I have never seen anything definitive to show that the name is deserving, I ALSO HAVE NEVER SEEN DEFINITE PROOF THAT IT SHOULDN'T BE THE NICKNAME USED. There are no absolutes with this topic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We need to stop feeding the troll.
Thank you Jason71...a harmless post turned into disaster
Old 12 November 2014, 09:31 AM   #74
KellyM3
Banned

Nice behavior, all of you.
Old 12 November 2014, 09:39 AM   #75
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Ask any vintage Rolex dealer or collector in the world if they have a Steve McQueen, and they'll assume you mean a 1655, not a 5512. Sure, it's 99% certain he never owned one, but that's the name the watch has somehow acquired. Jumping on the OP for using that name is unecessary and mean spirited.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 09:44 AM   #76
KellyM3
Banned

A "troll" because I do not agree with you?

I have been collecting watches for 15 years, and am on multiple forums, and have never been treated this way. Not on this forum or any other.

Funny how you "gentlemen" support some people having their opinion, but, I am not allowed to do so? I am told to leave, and that I am a troll? My opinion doesn't matter and I should get a life?

Only a couple of you turned it into a disaster, the other folks who weighed in either in support or opposition conducted themselves in a respectful fashion.

Funny how the males who posted, including the very poignant post of Mr. Flinstone was attacked, or the males who agreed with me, were not barraged with personal attacks.

I'm told to leave the thread, presumably like a good girl should, and that I have "female rights..."

All because I posted my opinion.
Old 12 November 2014, 09:48 AM   #77
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Geez, it's just a nickname.

Everyone calls me the "crazy, homeless looking guy" and I have no idea where they get that from, yet the name somehow sticks.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 10:04 AM   #78
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Shot of my 1971 1655 Orange Hand Explorer II straight second hand
With black nato band and orange perlon strap:

Great looking watch, thanks for sharing!

A rose by any name...

This should clarify if anyone really cares that much, I don't.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2001/0...queen.html?m=1
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 10:11 AM   #79
LCDR
Banned

Quote:
A "troll" because I do not agree with you?

I have been collecting watches for 15 years, and am on multiple forums, and have never been treated this way. Not on this forum or any other.

Funny how you "gentlemen" support some people having their opinion, but, I am not allowed to do so? I am told to leave, and that I am a troll? My opinion doesn't matter and I should get a life?

Only a couple of you turned it into a disaster, the other folks who weighed in either in support or opposition conducted themselves in a respectful fashion.

Funny how the males who posted, including the very poignant post of Mr. Flinstone was attacked, or the males who agreed with me, were not barraged with personal attacks.

I'm told to leave the thread, presumably like a good girl should, and that I have "female rights..."

All because I posted my opinion.
Thank you for standing up to this internet bullying. Your are correct and they know it.

Why would anyone defend a position they know is wrong? Why would anyone appropiate the name of a deceased celebrity to add value to a watch?

As forum members I think we stand for accuracy, as do our watches.

We are offended by thieves that steal the name "Rolex" to put on fake watches.

Applying "McQueen" to a watch, are we any better than them?

Stand for truth, not convention.
LCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 10:20 AM   #80
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky View Post
Orange Hand - Just found our where the confusion comes from!
***Messing around on a Sunday ... apologies to anyone who may own the copyright to the 'original' photo!***
Brilliant discovery

The "flinstone" posts read like f/s adds that end up in the watchout section.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 10:38 AM   #81
KellyM3
Banned

Oh and by the way, OP, your links offer zero evidence, and contain links to companies that sell watches, so they are using this myth to sell to unsuspecting or unknowing buyers who associate the watch with Steve McQueen. Unlike the Paul Newman Daytona, which is linked to him, and sales prices reflect the same, and where Paul Newman actually wore that Daytona, you are all incorrect about Steve McQueen. And to the individual who apparently believes anything where he has not seen any evidence to the contrary...well...I don't even know where to begin with that...and to those who called me a troll, or other inappropriate names, or who made inappropriate comments towards me, I can only hope that you paid dearly for your "Steve McQueen" watches, and paid at the height of the promulgation of the myth, because they have come down significantly since, in part, due to the fact that it was just that, a myth, because that now you can feel much better about calling it something it is not. Because if you say it is true, it must be, even without a shred of proof to support it.

On the other hand, I can produce many, many pictures of Steve McQueen wearing the Hanhart, and the 5512, as well as Paul Newman wearing the Daytona.

Believe what you will, maybe Santa will bring me a Flinstone watch for Christmas, and if he does not, maybe the Easter Bunny will.

Because I read somewhere on the internet that they will come on Christmas and Easter respectively, and they, too, wear Flinstone watches.
Old 12 November 2014, 10:50 AM   #82
KellyM3
Banned

Oh, and by the way, lest you think I'm stupid, I have read every published biography on Mr. McQueen, the autobiographies of all three of his wives, "McQueen's Machines," viewed most, if not every published interview with him, have viewed most, if not every published photo of him, including the Life Magazine photos released 2-3 years ago that were previously unpublished, as well as numerous interviews with friends and family.

Not one person can identify who allegedly stated or confirmed that a 1655 "was his daily watch" other than auction house personnel and retailers, who started the rumor in the late 1990s early 2000s. Based on nothing. Not one person can be identified as having seen him wear one, non one article with anyone who has a scintilla of personal knowledge of him wearing one, and not one single photograph of him wearing one, only a handful of generic and unsubstantiated statements based on nothing.

This is not a nickname ie. the Batman or the Hulk, or "bluesy"which do not exist and are just nicknames, this is an attempt to link a watch to a specific individual, to increase the value, artificially and arguably, fraudulently. It is based on nothing. Period.
Old 12 November 2014, 10:55 AM   #83
LCDR
Banned

Quote:
This is not a nickname ie. the Batman or the Hulk, or "bluesy"which do not exist and are just nicknames, this is an attempt to link a watch to a specific individual, to increase the value, artificially and arguably, fraudulently. It is based on nothing. Period.
LCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:01 AM   #84
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, one of you sent me a PM by mistake, so thank you for letting me in on what you are doing. You should make sure you are sending PM to the right person.

Secondly, I know you are trying to start a fight, likely to have me banned per the PM, so I will not take the bait.

There was no hijacking of anything. My "comments" are factually based. There are no pictures or any evidence anywhere, on the internet, or otherwise, that support your contention that this is a "Steve McQueen" watch. Unless you have proof that he owned your watch or wore it, your labeling it a "Steve McQueen" watch is false. Simply not true.

There is no support on the internet, or elsewhere, that he ever wore that model watch. So your contention that he wore that model is simply not factually correct, nor true.

I made no personal attacks upon you, your livelihood, your "collection" or anything related to you other than your incorrect designation. You, however, have chosen to make personal attacks upon me. I do note part of your personal attack is your suggestion, or should I say inference, that you are somehow superior because you either have, or believe that you have, a "collection that is somehow superior, or more plentiful, valuable or voluminous, to one that I may or may not have.

Now, you know nothing about me, or whether I have a "collection" or what I have in my "collection" nor do you know what kind of person I am. However, I do note that you and others continue to defend the identification of this watch and/or model in a completely incorrect and factually untrue way. It is no more a "Steve McQueen" watch than it is a Fred Flinstone watch. Just because you and other folks continue to say it is something that it is not, does not make it true, regardless of the number of times it is repeated. An untruth is an untruth, whether told once or a thousand times. I do note that you continue to argue in support of a contention that is not true, and that others are piling on in support of the person who is contending something that is not true, and condemning the person who has the factually valid position. Trumpeting this watch as a "McQueen" watch could be perceived as taking advantage of prospective purchasers who may see your post and others like it, who think that they are getting something related to Steve McQueen, which it is not. Since the truth clearly does not matter, anyone can call any item anything they so desire. And if it is repeated over and over, then it is ok. Sorry "bud" but, I do not conduct myself that way, on the internet, or in the real world. But, hey, that is just one person's way of living.

I do know what Fred would say about continuing to make these representations about it being a "McQueen" watch, he would say "Yabba Dabba Don't"
Well said.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:13 AM   #85
nycpassat
"TRF" Member

Troll, please leave and let the OP enjoy his thread of his Steve McQueen
nycpassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:18 AM   #86
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
It is very sad that you have nothing better to do than to make comments like this. It was simply a post to show ONE of my watches out of my collection. There is really no need for comments like yours. But I'm sure you have a lovely collection too, and based on the way in which you conduct yourself on the internet I'm sure you are a lovely person in real life as well.
This was totally inappropriate in many levels.

I won't even address trying to defend a lie by personal attack.

I guess we all need to be rich with extensive collections to have an opinion around here.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:24 AM   #87
Quotron
"TRF" Member

I can't believe what a mess this thread turned into.

Nice watch OP, looks pretty neat on that orange Perlon
Quotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:27 AM   #88
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
Thank you for standing up to this internet bullying. Your are correct and they know it.

Why would anyone defend a position they know is wrong? Why would anyone appropiate the name of a deceased celebrity to add value to a watch?

As forum members I think we stand for accuracy, as do our watches.

We are offended by thieves that steal the name "Rolex" to put on fake watches.

Applying "McQueen" to a watch, are we any better than them?

Stand for truth, not convention.
X2
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:35 AM   #89
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Nice explorer OP!!

LOVE the vintage Explorers.....congrats!
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 12:01 PM   #90
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Wow this turned out great. Op, just do kellym3 a favor and never, I mean never refer to your watch as a Steve McQueen in her presence again. Ok? Kelly, would you then forgive him and perhaps let him enjoy his watch? Or ya just wanna keep on beating the $hit out of this poor dead horse? Oh, and it's commonly referred to as a McQueen because it is... No other reason is needed. It is what it is. Just like a pepsi, never actually was photographed wearing a gmt. It's just the colors, the nickname stuck. Maybe McQueens favorite underwear had a orange arrow, ever think of that?
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote