The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2015, 07:56 AM   #91
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
Just out of interest, do you have any knowledge at all of the restoration department at Rolex in Geneva? This isn't Rolex USA we are talking about. The staff in this department have access to information and resources that the 'experts' on this site could only dream about.

A watch of this value should only be handled by Rolex in Geneva and no other third party in the first instance. It'd be worth the trip for the OP from what I can see.
It was a joke based on Rolex's lack of interest in preserving vintage pieces but rather wanting to replace everything to make them look new.

If this department shares Rolex's resources and verifies authenticity I am unaware of this service. My guess is they will provide an estimate to service and restore the watch nothing more. If you know otherwise please share as I have not heard of such a service.

As for the experts here on TRF my guess is they have handled more of these than Rolex and could help the OP verify the watch and find a home for it if thats the objective.

Old 8 May 2015, 08:14 AM   #92
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
Hello

Be careful having radium dials out of the case...the particles form the lume do bad things to the tissues inside your body if inhaled...

Hell if its potentially so valuable I'd fly my self to switzerland and have the home office look at it and hang out until i get the report...call it a mini vacation. They would come up with a nice cert for you and you'd be on your way to the nearest auction house to cash in a huge ticket item...

Regards
A few hours ago it was RSC NYC.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:18 AM   #93
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Just out of interest, do you have any knowledge at all of the restoration department at Rolex in Geneva? This isn't Rolex USA we are talking about. The staff in this department have access to information and resources that the 'experts' on this site could only dream about.

A watch of this value should only be handled by Rolex in Geneva and no other third party in the first instance. It'd be worth the trip for the OP from what I can see.
Rolex does not do restorations. They'd put a new luminova dial in a 5513 case whether the dial is worth 50K or 5 bucks. We're not talking Patek here.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:23 AM   #94
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Rolex does not do restorations. They'd put a new luminova dial in a 5513 case whether the dial is worth 50K or 5 bucks. We're not talking Patek here.
Completely wrong.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:27 AM   #95
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Well, this should be entertaining....
Old 8 May 2015, 08:27 AM   #96
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
"Handled" in what way. What handling does it need?
I would have the restoration department assess the watch with a view to service. This would likely carry significant cost but the work on the movement alone would enhance the value. It would likely cost upwards of $10,000 but would be worth it.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:41 AM   #97
Boxcars
Banned

Friend of a friend had a 6265 serviced in Geneva. Worked out approx $20,000 USD for a service. Took nearly a year after he presented the watch in person. Maybe $10,000 a little high for a calibre still in production but it wouldn't be cheap. But anyways, sorry, this department doesn't exist!
Old 8 May 2015, 08:53 AM   #98
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Friend of a friend had a 6265 serviced in Geneva. Worked out approx $20,000 USD for a service. Took nearly a year after he presented the watch in person. Maybe $10,000 a little high for a calibre still in production but it wouldn't be cheap. But anyways, sorry, this department doesn't exist!
Sounds like BS
Old 8 May 2015, 08:58 AM   #99
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
Sounds like BS
Feel free to call Geneva to ask. They speak great English.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:58 AM   #100
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would have the restoration department assess the watch with a view to service. This would likely carry significant cost but the work on the movement alone would enhance the value. It would likely cost upwards of $10,000 but would be worth it.
I don't doubt Rolex will service the watch in Geneva and charge ten times what a service should cost. I am aware they service vintage pieces and charge a serious premium for it.

I question whether Rolex Geneva will provide you a sheet of paper certifying the dial is Rolex and has not been refinished. If they will not do this whats the point?

Old 8 May 2015, 09:01 AM   #101
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Feel free to call Geneva to ask. They speak great English.
What does this service entail? Are they using vintage NOS parts, what kind of watch was it on. Seems unlikely rolex would undermine their vintage part by putting out high value watches with NOS parts similar to what broight vintage seamaster prices down
Old 8 May 2015, 09:04 AM   #102
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
What does this service entail? Are they using vintage NOS parts, what kind of watch was it on. Seems unlikely rolex would undermine their vintage part by putting out high value watches with NOS parts similar to what broight vintage seamaster prices down
Parts manufactured as required for each piece, hence high cost for service.
Old 8 May 2015, 09:06 AM   #103
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
I don't doubt Rolex will service the watch in Geneva and charge ten times what a service should cost. I am aware they service vintage pieces and charge a serious premium for it.

I question whether Rolex Geneva will provide you a sheet of paper certifying the dial is Rolex and has not been refinished. If they will not do this whats the point?

They wouldn't touch the watch if it had a non Rolex dial or a dial that had been refinished. So go figure....
Old 8 May 2015, 09:15 AM   #104
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

The value in the OP's watch is that is original. That is what a collector is after. He must not have it touched by Rolex or anyone else.
Old 8 May 2015, 09:24 AM   #105
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They wouldn't touch the watch if it had a non Rolex dial or a dial that had been refinished. So go figure....
OMG the amount of ill informed information is unbelievable today @!!!

the geneva heritage department provides service facilities for watches not accepted by the regular service channels either because they don't service the calibre, have the parts, or increasingly because the local service centre does not want the liability risk associated with handling or authenticating a pice ( this is starting to happen in the UK a lot)

if a watch goes to heritage it is a £1k non returnable cost to quote , the cost of which is deducted from the price of the service if you go ahead with it.

the costs on average seem to be about 10k euro regardless it seems of as much or as little seems to get done.

the dept will RESTORE happily...new jck dials, new 6062, big crown etc ...but these are stylised version of the original not identical.

in this case this is wholly irrelevant to this watch, if its an opinion on authenticity there are much more informed people than the heritage department.
Old 8 May 2015, 09:26 AM   #106
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I do not believe that is accurate, they refuse service for non Rolex parts. They would probably not refuse service on a watch like this for a refinished dial as they have no replacement for it.

Fake dials have been rumored to make it through a Rolex service so they are not infalible.

I am not going to argue any further if the OP send the watch to Rolex I guess we will find out what documentation they will provide.

Old 8 May 2015, 09:44 AM   #107
nocrown
Banned

Watch: 1680 ReD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
OMG the amount of ill informed information is unbelievable today @!!!

the geneva heritage department provides service facilities for watches not accepted by the regular service channels either because they don't service the calibre, have the parts, or increasingly because the local service centre does not want the liability risk associated with handling or authenticating a pice ( this is starting to happen in the UK a lot)

if a watch goes to heritage it is a £1k non returnable cost to quote , the cost of which is deducted from the price of the service if you go ahead with it.

the costs on average seem to be about 10k euro regardless it seems of as much or as little seems to get done.

the dept will RESTORE happily...new jck dials, new 6062, big crown etc ...but these are stylised version of the original not identical.

in this case this is wholly irrelevant to this watch, if its an opinion on authenticity there are much more informed people than the heritage department.
thank you.

boxcars is clearly ill-informed and is offering advice that at best shall cost way too much and much more likely devalue the collectible and ultimate value of this watch.

OP please ignore boxcars.
Old 8 May 2015, 09:50 AM   #108
nocrown
Banned

Watch: 1680 ReD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
I do not believe that is accurate, they refuse service for non Rolex parts. They would probably not refuse service on a watch like this for a refinished dial as they have no replacement for it.

Fake dials have been rumored to make it through a Rolex service so they are not infalible.

I am not going to argue any further if the OP send the watch to Rolex I guess we will find out what documentation they will provide.

a legit expert or two can validate this watch as well or better than rolex and that would be sufficient for auction house methinks...if it even gets to that stage...
Old 8 May 2015, 09:53 AM   #109
mtl514
"TRF" Member

The op is long gone, he was given great advice and is off to the races equipped with some knowledge, enough to help him help himself if that makes any sense. With a family history and a thumbs up from one of the experts he will be able to sell it or put it in an auction. Job well done guys!
Old 8 May 2015, 10:50 AM   #110
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I think that the OP might still be having a gander! Yes lots of advice, The OP is an adult and he'll make his own bed. I wouldn't sell it but I'm not him.

Btw for interest take a look at the 6204 for sale on HQ Milton with service dial, hands and insert and compare to the price of one with it's original parts.
Old 8 May 2015, 04:40 PM   #111
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrown View Post
thank you.

boxcars is clearly ill-informed and is offering advice that at best shall cost way too much and much more likely devalue the collectible and ultimate value of this watch.

OP please ignore boxcars.
And thank you for your pointless post.

Thank you to jedly for confirming that this mysterious service does indeed exist. The restoration department are quite happy to take on jobs where absolutely no work is done to the case or dial. Purely movement service only. The only reason why I suspect this particular piece would be handled by them rather than standard service section is the rarity of the piece and that the restoration department boasts some of the most skilled Watchmakers at Rolex.

But hey, I'll leave it to you guys from here in.
Old 8 May 2015, 06:44 PM   #112
CGJJ
"TRF" Member

OP is reading everything here,mark my words.
He is just respecting the privacy of the 3 or 4 expert collectors who
are engaged in a gentlemans bidding war for the piece ;-)
Old 9 May 2015, 08:32 AM   #113
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Was the meeting today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 10 May 2015, 05:31 PM   #114
Ray p
"TRF" Member

I have a submariner 5508 guilt dial just had it restored I were it at every opportunity.
Old 10 May 2015, 05:37 PM   #115
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray p View Post
I have a submariner 5508 guilt dial just had it restored I were it at every opportunity.
https://translate.google.com.au/m/translate
Old 10 May 2015, 05:39 PM   #116
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Wear it?
Old 11 May 2015, 01:18 AM   #117
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Quote:
A guilt dial? Is that what it's called when you realize you spent way too much on a watch?
Old 11 May 2015, 05:06 AM   #118
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
A 3/6/9 dial 5513 just sold tonight at Phillips for $150,000.....

https://www.phillips.com/detail/ROLEX/CH080215/116
Old 11 May 2015, 07:47 AM   #119
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Underline dial.
Old 11 May 2015, 01:06 PM   #120
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
A guilt dial? Is that what it's called when you realize you spent way too much on a watch?
Closed Thread