The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 June 2016, 03:27 AM   #151
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Back from an oil-gasket service today. Untouched for the past 37 years. no treatment on dial, hands. I grow to really like this natural untreated patina this watch has developed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9029.jpg (64.6 KB, 144 views)

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2016, 03:28 AM   #152
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Yes people can and do mimic age and patina. Seen plenty of "franken" watches over the years with artificial aging. Two things you can check. The back of the dial is one place to examine for heat. Backside of an insert for the bleach treatment.

Other than that, I cannot objectively say how I know the difference but it is more of a sense/feel when examining a watch for me. I am sure others with more experience may be able to provide more objective criteria.

However, I do not believe that reputable dealers/collectors/traders are doing this. It would only take one time for a dealer to lose his/her credibility. As we always say, "Buy the Seller"

I have zero doubt in my mind that my gilt 5513 has natural patina. 100% believe it is original and aged naturally. And I really love the look of the gloss gilt dial with that nice tan patina. A thing of beauty to me. Case shows signs of 50 years of wear also.

Thanks droptop, appreciate the answer, good thing there is a way to verify.

I almost bought a 5513 at lunch today, reputable dealer is a stonesthrow from my office. He has two examples and one had a Tiffany dial but he couldn't be sure it was original so I'm not sure what to do about it. It has the nice white crisp dial that I like and the domed crystal is cool and I've never owned a Sub without a cyclops, but I wouldn't want a fake dial and there doesn't seem to be a way to authenticate. It lacks the patina of a 1969 and Tiffany wouldn't stock replacement dials I guess. Shame really. I really like the watch and it's sitting 15 minutes away.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:10 PM   #153
RB32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjavor View Post
OK. See I actually quite like the Sub. That picture does have a nice sort of creamy tone to it and it goes quite well with the strap and also your skin tone. However the Tudor below it is already beyond what I'd like, and frankly I simply cannot understand how someone (without a personal history with it) could ever like that Certina. (No offense please, it's just my opionion. I know it's against forum rules to belittle things that other people might like, but in this case it is sort of on topic and just serves as an example where I'd definitely draw the line.)
Love the Tudor!
RB32 is offline   Reply With Quote