The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 January 2017, 11:15 AM   #121
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
I don't mind a polish once and a while. Maybe I can get the leftovers? I'll take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Member of Nylon Nation

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 05:02 PM   #122
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I usually look at the lug holes to see if a case seems to be unpolished.
Just as a data point, I'd say that is no longer a "safe" method of evaluation. With the increased prevalence, popularity, and quality of case "restoration" work (namely micro/laser welding and machine lapping), the appearance/sharpness of lug holes isn't a reliable "tell" anymore IMO. In fact, I'd say it could have the opposite effect. If a watch shows signs of wear, but the chamfers and lug holes are tack-sharp, it would certainly raise my suspicions. Easy enough these days to have material added, holes re-drilled, and cases refinished to exceptional standards. The fact that we have those sorts of options today is probably both a blessing and a curse. YMMV...
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 08:21 PM   #123
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Just as a data point, I'd say that is no longer a "safe" method of evaluation. With the increased prevalence, popularity, and quality of case "restoration" work (namely micro/laser welding and machine lapping), the appearance/sharpness of lug holes isn't a reliable "tell" anymore IMO. In fact, I'd say it could have the opposite effect. If a watch shows signs of wear, but the chamfers and lug holes are tack-sharp, it would certainly raise my suspicions. Easy enough these days to have material added, holes re-drilled, and cases refinished to exceptional standards. The fact that we have those sorts of options today is probably both a blessing and a curse. YMMV...
I agree. To me it is all about the overall look of the case and watch. If you have it in your hand you can also feel many things but by just looking at certain points as in the past is probably not enough.

That said I still donīt get this discussion. The watch we talk about looks absolutely stunning.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #124
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
his watch in that link you provided is a completely different watch and era, so I don't think it's a very good comparison to mine as cases were shaped different. But if you want to have a look at a lug hole to study further, by all means. Curious to hear your opinion.
Well, I have always been under the impression that the lug holes were drilled after polish of the vintage watches. My own 1680 has the same type of marks around the lug holes as springers and they look very much like drill marks I have seen many times when drilling hard materials myself. The picture you linked isn't that clear, bu it does look like that a bit, see for instance springers first image. It looks a bit like a burr around the lug hole. You also have a kind of chip marks around another lug hole. I have those features too.

This could of course be obtained by a refinisher. You need to first weld the lug holes, laser weld and recut the case, and then finally drill new holes. I do know that some fill the holes temporarily during the polish to not get any bowling, but you will not get those drill marks then.

Oh, and yes, the lug holes are just one of the things I look at. Flatness of the left side, distance between hole and the rest of the lug etc etc. The compound picture tells a lot.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 07:28 AM   #125
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
If I am not mistaken, I understand that the healthy ridges on the crown guards cannot be "restored". Also a good method of evaluation..
theflywrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 07:42 AM   #126
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I still donīt get this discussion. The watch we talk about looks absolutely stunning.
+1

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote