The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 January 2019, 08:19 PM   #121
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I've read that you don't actually lose metal with platinum. It gets moved to one side with a ding. Don't know if this is true or not.
I read the same about platinum.

Wear it and enjoy it, you don’t have to worry any more. I hope this never happens to my watch :)
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:45 AM   #122
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
I can't believe they told you 70 weeks at Patek... do they only employ two part-time people that do all the service work as well as building new watches?
Because Patek is busy making new watches, that’s where the money is. Service is an afterthought but we all know that. Frankly we all drank the Patek koolaid, just think of what other products/things/objects we buy that would would put up with these kinds of service time?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:22 AM   #123
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Did you buy it to wear it to tell time or to impress people with a Patek? If you bought it to tell time a scratch or ding should be completely acceptable. If you bought it to impress yourself or others with the fact you could afford to buy a Patek, then any blemish would be unacceptable. If that is the scenario put it back in the box and never wear it in public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:33 AM   #124
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Did you buy it to wear it to tell time or to impress people with a Patek? If you bought it to tell time a scratch or ding should be completely acceptable. If you bought it to impress yourself or others with the fact you could afford to buy a Patek, then any blemish would be unacceptable. If that is the scenario put it back in the box and never wear it in public.

Brutal honesty here.
Old 12 January 2019, 04:33 AM   #125
zahain
"TRF" Member

This happened way too soon...

Quote:

The watch is somewhere above $90k depending on taxes. If you have a ding like he did so early on wouldn’t you want to fix it? Sure scratches are inevitable but its a high value Patek which can be thought the same as like a damaged rim or a body panel of a car you love. You of course want to fix it, so i dont see why OP’s decision to go with the fill and polish is that bad. I think its unnecessary to say he’s trying to show off when no one would take a second glance at this 39.4mm watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:15 PM   #126
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Well of course we want to show off the Patek. Let’s not kid ourselves, but instead of wanting to impress the mass like a Rolex, Patek wearers are trying to impress a different crowded.

I see members like to say they wear Pateks because people don’t know what it is, but a WIS or people in the know would know, this is what some are calling “fake modesty”.

But I will be the first to admit I’m one of them. I like my 5131P very much, it’s mostly my daily (along with my AW4 but I don’t wear them at the same time).
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:35 PM   #127
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I don’t see it this way at all
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:09 PM   #128
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
Quote:

Do not compare a scratch with a ding. When the watch shines all you can see is that ding. You don’t buy a 5170P to “show off”. A very small crowd knows what this watch is. In fact I’m in the Caribbean now and someone thought It was a breitling .
My watches are pieces of art to me. This ding took away the beauty; i could see nothing but that ding. As if i had a large tear in middle of a painting. Not a scratch. Too have the opportunity to restore it back to original in a matter of 2-3 days; i took advantage. And alas it is back to perfection. If I chipped my Rolex GMT I would’ve wanted it fixed as well. It’s a personality/.trait. The fact that I like to keep my shoes clean means I wear it to show off? *.
I like to enjoy my stuff and still keep them “crisp” .

It is not “brutal honesty”, just total nonsense.

SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:23 PM   #129
henryjoeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270/5235/5131
I would do the same as you, i.e. get it laser welded and restore to perfection.

Someone may tolerate a ding on their beloved time piece, but that's not me.
A ding is totally different from hairline scratch.
Hairlines represent normal usage or "ageing" of watch, which is actually quite elegant and represent history of the the time piece.
But not a ding, which is an undesirable accident.

Enjoy your 5170P in its full beauty.

Best,
Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan91 View Post
Do not compare a scratch with a ding. When the watch shines all you can see is that ding. You don’t buy a 5170P to “show off”. A very small crowd knows what this watch is. In fact I’m in the Caribbean now and someone thought It was a breitling .
My watches are pieces of art to me. This ding took away the beauty; i could see nothing but that ding. As if i had a large tear in middle of a painting. Not a scratch. Too have the opportunity to restore it back to original in a matter of 2-3 days; i took advantage. And alas it is back to perfection. If I chipped my Rolex GMT I would’ve wanted it fixed as well. It’s a personality/.trait. The fact that I like to keep my shoes clean means I wear it to show off? *.

henryjoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 01:11 AM   #130
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Are you still on vacation? If so,Im so jealous
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #131
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Are you still on vacation? If so,Im so jealous

I am
IMG_5366.jpg

SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:11 AM   #132
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Quote:
I am
Attachment 1012163

Grrrr it's bad enough u send a pic of the watch,

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:03 AM   #133
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

SimpleMan91: repair looks fantastic! How do you connect with Serge? Thanks!
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:26 AM   #134
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Agreed. Just leave alone. Dings give character.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes.
Old 14 April 2021, 09:00 AM   #135
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Just an FYI that platinum is comparable in hardness to 18K yellow gold, and significantly less hard than most white gold alloys.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote