The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Atomic

Classical Music

Just wondering... I have been a fan of classical music from a very early age. Who are your top three or four composers?

Mine in no particular order are:

J.S. Bach
Antonio Vivaldi
Sergei Prokofiev
Felix Mendelssohn
Old 26 September 2006, 01:05 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
1 Chopin
2.Tchaikovsky
3.Ludwig van Beethoven.
4. Mozart
5.Vivaldi
Although listen and admire many more,always been a fan of classical piano Love most of the works of Rachmaninoff, one of the greatest pianists of the twentieth century.With Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and Prelude in C-sharp minor my own personal favourites.My Mother was classical trained,and was a very good pianist.Sadly having to give up playing in her late 50S,she had arthritic hands.Suppose I got my love of the piano from her,myself tried to play but gave up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 02:21 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I love classical music, always have. If my friends in the real world knew this they would think I've lost it though My favorite types are concertos and chamber music. The list of my favorite composers to follow is in no particular order though.

Tchaikovsky
Richard Strauss
Beethoven
Bach
Chopin
Mozart

I know you said three, but I really can't select any three of the above from the others. I enjoy them all equally as much
Old 26 September 2006, 02:57 AM   #4
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
A day without Mozart is like a day without sunshine.

After that you can add some Beethoven and Chopin.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 03:29 AM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I don't have favourites, I play the field. (No smart ass comments).

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 04:16 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I don't have favourites, I play the field. (No smart ass comments).
So you and JJ have a lot of common then...

Oh, wait... JJ plays IN the field (with his flock).
Old 26 September 2006, 04:17 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post

You do realise you're just about begun to hijack your own thread, tosser?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 04:19 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You do realise you're just about begun to hijack your own thread, tosser?
It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:32 AM   #9
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

JJ's favourite is Baa-tok.

Member #10
Old 26 September 2006, 04:35 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ's favourite is Baa-tok.
Feeble and limp efforts don't qualify, my gentleman friend. GET TOUGH!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 26 September 2006, 05:18 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Feeble and limp efforts don't qualify, my gentleman friend. GET TOUGH!!!
You knew Beethoven personally, didn't you? Or have you forgotten again?
Old 26 September 2006, 05:35 AM   #12
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
You knew Beethoven personally, didn't you? Or have you forgotten again?
I think that fell on deaf ears.

Member #10
Old 26 September 2006, 05:42 AM   #13
Atomic

Quote:

JJ cant even hear his watch tick... how can he hear Craig
Old 26 September 2006, 06:33 AM   #14
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's had a tough day today, I'll let him slide on that one
Old 26 September 2006, 06:53 AM   #15
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
In no particular order are:

Vivaldi
Chopin
Tchaikovsky
Wagner

I used to play the piano, but being a lot younger at the time I didn't realise how great it would be to keep playing, and just gave up. I really regret it now. But one day, bring on a baby grand.....
Old 26 September 2006, 07:01 AM   #16
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Give me Pachelbel's Canon in D. I have over 50 variations of it.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
You don't like Beethoven. You don't know what you're missing. Overtures like that get my... juices flowing. So powerful. But after his openings, to be honest, he does tend to get a little f***ing boring. That's why I stopped! You're a Mozart fan. I love him too. I looooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know? But for this kind of work, he's a little bit light. So I tend to go for the heavier guys. Check out Brahms. He's good too.
Old 26 September 2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I'm sorry, for me the classics are.

Stones,
Old Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Queen

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 05:37 PM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I prefer the semi-classicals to the pure classics. If it's a classic, it's gotta have a lot of instrumentation. I love instrumental music.

But half the time I really don't know what the hell I'm listening to. I just flick between 3 of my favourite FM stations in the car and enjoy some good music whilst driving along.

At home, it's mainly FM music and some CDs which I generally like....Celine Dione, Shanaiya Twain, and generally a lot of instrumental stuff.

JJ

Old 26 September 2006, 09:18 PM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
JJ, we all know you're a Kenny G kinda guy!
Old 26 September 2006, 10:30 PM   #21
----

If I had to pick 3, it would be:

Beethoven

Tchaikovsky

Bach

I will likely be listening to Glenn Gould perform the Goldberg Variations tonight - can't seem to ever tire of hearing it.

Old 26 September 2006, 10:51 PM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

I will likely be listening to Glenn Gould perform the Goldberg Variations tonight - can't seem to ever tire of hearing it.

I would say the original recording is the best ever recorded piece of classical music.

Gould was a master!
Old 27 September 2006, 12:22 AM   #23
----

Quote:
I would say the original recording is the best ever recorded piece of classical music.

Gould was a master!
I agree completely. I saw a news story last night where they used his 1955 recording to program an automated piano to play the piece. It supposedly was able to mimic his "touch" on the keys and pedals so it sounded like a live performance by the man himself. I have mixed feelings on it personally. Maybe the details were lost coming through a TV broadcast, but I also can't imagine listening to it without hearing Glenn hum along as he plays.....
Old 27 September 2006, 12:40 AM   #24
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I prefer the semi-classicals to the pure classics. If it's a classic, it's gotta have a lot of instrumentation. I love instrumental music.

But half the time I really don't know what the hell I'm listening to. I just flick between 3 of my favourite FM stations in the car and enjoy some good music whilst driving along.

At home, it's mainly FM music and some CDs which I generally like....Celine Dione, Shanaiya Twain, and generally a lot of instrumental stuff.

JJ

You left out the "sounds from the pasture" CD by Dolly and the flock
Old 27 September 2006, 01:02 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Gould was a master!
Agree one of the worlds finest pianist myself love the piano One of my favorite albums has always been the Ravel Concertos with Argerich playing the G maj Concerto and Beroff play the Concerto in D. I still think this disc is unmatched when it comes to an album with both concertos. I've always loved the Argerich and always thought the performance couldn't be matched. This was until I heard Michelangeli's version on the radio. The first movement was coming to an end and I didn't know who the performer was. Then the second movement came on and the rest was history. It's one of the most devastating brilliant experiences of my musical life so far. Until this, I had the ever-familiar misperception of Michelangeli just being a technician, and that he is cold. Nothing can be further from the truth. I've learned that you really need a completely blinded test to truly gauge a performance because the preconceptions and reputations can unjustly influence a listening experience. The Argerich seems like child's play compared to Michelangeli, beyond comparison. This is also extremely well-recorded for 1958, better than Argerich's. The Rachmaninov 4 is simply stunning. I had never heard this work before and now I can't stop listening to it. Again, this is unmatched, nothing and I mean nothing comes closer,for me personaly. Not the Wild, Ashkenazy, one! Michelangeli had very few studio concerto recordings and these two concertos must have been special to him. I own about 80 clasical discs and can't think of a better concerto recording. It ranks up there with such great recordings as Kleiber Beethoven 5th and 7th as one of the greatest albums ever!.Vladimir Horowitz is another of my favourite pianists of all time,and my favourite for playing Rachmaninov. But like everything this is my personal taste in music may not be others.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 01:20 AM   #26
Atomic

Quote:
I agree completely. I saw a news story last night where they used his 1955 recording to program an automated piano to play the piece. It supposedly was able to mimic his "touch" on the keys and pedals so it sounded like a live performance by the man himself. I have mixed feelings on it personally. Maybe the details were lost coming through a TV broadcast, but I also can't imagine listening to it without hearing Glenn hum along as he plays.....
My dad grew up with Gould, so I was 'introduced' to him early in life. No, they lost touch once Glenn became famous, but it was a staple 'must listen' in our household growing up. There's a plaque in front of the house he grew up in (in the beach) which i'd be happy to show you on Nov. 4th. There's also a bronze of him sitting on a park bench outside the CBC building on Front street.

I'm a HUGE fan of his and have two documentaries done on him by the CBC (it's actually two parts, one focusses on when he was quite young and one shortly before he died).

Pure genius! His humming just adds to the recording as he was so passionate about playing. His CBC radio and TV shows were quite good too. A facinating man.
Old 27 September 2006, 01:59 AM   #27
----

Quote:
My dad grew up with Gould, so I was 'introduced' to him early in life. No, they lost touch once Glenn became famous, but it was a staple 'must listen' in our household growing up. There's a plaque in front of the house he grew up in (in the beach) which i'd be happy to show you on Nov. 4th. There's also a bronze of him sitting on a park bench outside the CBC building on Front street.

I'm a HUGE fan of his and have two documentaries done on him by the CBC (it's actually two parts, one focusses on when he was quite young and one shortly before he died).

Pure genius! His humming just adds to the recording as he was so passionate about playing. His CBC radio and TV shows were quite good too. A facinating man.

You are fortunate to have met him! I've seen the statue of him on the bench.

Did you see the play they did about his life at Stratford maybe....8 years ago or so? I missed that one (saw Romeo and juliet instead.....the Juliet was a weak performance ) but heard it was a great play about his life. The man is a real icon.
Old 27 September 2006, 02:02 AM   #28
Atomic

Quote:
You are fortunate to have met him! I've seen the statue of him on the bench.

Did you see the play they did about his life at Stratford maybe....8 years ago or so? I missed that one (saw Romeo and juliet instead.....the Juliet was a weak performance ) but heard it was a great play about his life. The man is a real icon.
Sorry, I didn't write that well... I didn't ever meet him, was only 'introduced' to his music via my dad.

I didn't see the play either but I did see the movie, 48 short stories on Glenn Gould or something like that. Not a great picture but good performance by Don McKeller.
Old 27 September 2006, 02:44 AM   #29
Rodentman
Banned

Levi Strauss
Catherine Bach
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 03:00 AM   #30
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
With few exceptions, I don't like anything written after 1900. That's when composers stopped writing lyrically.

So for me, the top classical composers are:

Beethoven
Mozart
Tchaikovsky
Vivaldi
Bach (in moderation)
Brahms

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019