The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2018, 10:46 AM   #1
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Does placing a special order with AD work timely?

I'm ready to add a Hulk to my collection, and for what it is worth, I've wanted the LV long before it became the big thing. Now that I have funds in hand ready to go, I've contacted several AD's about being added to their wait list, and they have all encouraged me to special order the Hulk through them. One AD specifically told me today ..

"The best option, and the one I would recommend if you know with absolute certainty that this watch is the one you want, is to come in and place a special order for it, at which point we would order that watch specifically for you. Our most recent wait times for the green dial Submariner have been about 3-6 months, but Rolex does generally prioritize filling paid orders."

Does anyone here have experience with placing a special order, high demand Rolex here in the U.S.? Did the AD deliver? What kind of time frame did it take? I really appreciate any help. Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I am not willing to pay a reseller a price over MSRP.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
go for it imo. get a contract from the ad.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 10:52 AM   #3
topfuel25
Banned

a full payment first and a 3-6months wait is a sure win for AD but I wouldn't do a "interest free loan" to the AD unless he says make a full payment today and you can have the watch within a month
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I’ve never paid in full with an AD. Usually just a small deposit.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:12 AM   #5
brebeard47
"TRF" Member

I special ordered my Batman and had to put half down. I ordered on a Saturday, was told I would have a two week wait. Interesting thing is the watch showed up two days later. The AD said it was an watch allocated by Rolex but gave the watch to me as I had a deposit on it. They also told me that I got lucky and in reality, I would have had to wait a lot longer than two weeks if the watch hadn't come in. Good luck to you with your order!
brebeard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:24 AM   #6
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Tough call, for all you know the AD already has the watch in their possession. I was in the same position for the SD43. I ended up passing on it, and 4 days later got the call from another AD to pick it up. I think the AD does this to avoid having to negotiate on a discount with you. They get the payment from you first because it's such a "rare watch" and then once they secure payment, they call you up 3 days later and say, "Hey, surprise, your watch came in". I'd say a deposit for no more than 2 months wait. If they want 100%, I'd expect them to have it in 4 weeks and I would make sure I drew up a detailed contract which states what is being purchased, what is being paid, that payment is in full regardless if Rolex does a price hike, and that if the watch is not procured within the time frame, that 100% payment be refunded. NO IN STORE CREDIT! Don't let them keep your money.

Regardless of what anyone says here, dealers are not your friends. The reason most here think they are is because you're paying retail and lining their pocket. Of coarse they're gonna smile at you and let you take a picture with them.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:24 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve always been told that “allocation models” of which the LV is one of cannot be special ordered. I think the salesman is blowing smoke.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
A close friend did something like this with the LV at our local AD. Can't say for certain it was a "special order" but essentially what happened was he walked in and inquired about that particular watch. They said they did not have one in-store ready to sell (big surprise) and asked if he was ready to purchase it unseen -- if so, they would charge his card and he would get the watch within 2 months. He received the watch within a month. Mind you he had previously purchased a watch from this AD, so he was not a first time customer. That last bit of data may affect the expected wait time if you pay for the item upfront.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:26 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you pay in full, have a 6 month return date in writing. ADs buy watches from Rolex so whether you pay the AD now makes no difference to Rolex, just to the AD. Rolex knows everyone wants these so they allocate them as they see fit, probably avoiding flippers is their first priority.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:47 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not exactly ideal but if you feel the jewelry store is doing well, aka not going out of business then go for it. I’d probably pay on Amex and entertain cancelling it through them at the end of 60 day’s if it doesn’t show lol
Old 20 March 2018, 12:49 PM   #11
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

ADs can order 100 LVc but doesn’t mean they will get what they ask for! Which is what created the dreaded list!!
Old 12 January 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
samcarlos
"TRF" Member

I just left 30% down for the BLNR. They said they will special order it for me and that I should recieve it with in 6 months. I’ll keep ya posted.
samcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #13
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
If the AD will let you special order it in and pay for it in full or half down... i'm sure it will show up pretty quickly. I'm surprised they will let you order it
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:48 AM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I did, three days after Basel 2017. Ordered a Blue Sky D putting down 50%. I got the first in and had to wait four months approximately.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It certainly may work. But this was my experience.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=644939

Old 12 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Can't say for sure. Sounds like a special order for their vault stock, or a special order to jump the queue at the next delivery because you pre paid.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
[QUOTE=WhiskeyKoffee;8388534
..... but Rolex does generally prioritize filling paid orders."

[/QUOTE]

I have never paid a full amount or deposit at an AD.Will never.

If the AD have or can get what I want.I go and see it.I then take it with me and arriving at home do an EFT.Its called trust.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #18
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Tough call, for all you know the AD already has the watch in their possession. I was in the same position for the SD43. I ended up passing on it, and 4 days later got the call from another AD to pick it up. I think the AD does this to avoid having to negotiate on a discount with you. They get the payment from you first because it's such a "rare watch" and then once they secure payment, they call you up 3 days later and say, "Hey, surprise, your watch came in". I'd say a deposit for no more than 2 months wait. If they want 100%, I'd expect them to have it in 4 weeks and I would make sure I drew up a detailed contract which states what is being purchased, what is being paid, that payment is in full regardless if Rolex does a price hike, and that if the watch is not procured within the time frame, that 100% payment be refunded. NO IN STORE CREDIT! Don't let them keep your money.

Regardless of what anyone says here, dealers are not your friends. The reason most here think they are is because you're paying retail and lining their pocket. Of coarse they're gonna smile at you and let you take a picture with them.
This is spot on.

I put a special order for my 116710 LN (Black GMT Master II) through my AD, but they only required 25% down. I had the money in hand, so it was fine by me. If you have the money and are OK with the wait, put down as much as you feel comfortable with and get it in writing that if they can't deliver within their stated timeframe, you get your money back. I didn't need to do that, as the LN is a relatively "low on the totem pole" of popularity for SS sports models so it came in within 2 months... But definitely don't assume that because they're willing to take your money they won't drag their feet. At the same time, they are trying to please their customers they feel will give repeat business. And like RolexNorth said, make sure it states that if Rolex increases their prices, you're not charged more! And also that you get your money back if they discontinue it at Basel! Protect yourself.

Good luck with the decision, I know what I would do. I hope it works out for you.

EDIT: Way to resurrect a dead thread... I should have looked at the initial date from the OP before posting, plus his profile shows he already got the LV.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:02 AM   #19
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I placed a special order for 126715 with about $8000 down (which is about 1/4) and waited about 4 months before I got the watch. The daytona I didn't put anything down and got a call about 3 months later.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #20
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

I have never paid a full amount or deposit at an AD.Will never.

If the AD have or can get what I want.I go and see it.I then take it with me and arriving at home do an EFT.Its called trust.
Nor have I ever had to lay down a deposite. I order, wait and when the watch comes in gets paid for....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #21
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
I have placed special order twice with my AD for Hulk and Batman. Only placed 20% at ordering and watches were delivered within 2-5 months.
Old 12 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #22
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I've never placed a deposit or prepaid at any AD. I rather put that money to work in the stock market or short-term bank CD.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:04 AM   #23
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
From everything I've heard it's impossible to special order in-demand stainless steel models. Therefore the salesman is lying to you. Proceed with caution.

These watches come in on a weekly or monthly basis (based on the sales of the AD I guess) and they can be anything from a Milgauss or Air-King to a Skydweller or Daytona, and the AD doesn't know what they're going to receive until it comes in.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:08 AM   #24
Rolly.BT
"TRF" Member

ADs who say they can do special orders on hot watches is pure fantasy. If that works everyone would have hot models and 'wait lists' are a thing of the past.
From experience my AD has only done special orders on DJs and OPs if they don't have any in stock. There is NO guarantee when it'll arrive.
However apparently I can special order a PM Daytona which I'm considering.
Rolly.BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:12 AM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I don't buy one single bit of what the AD is saying. Why would Rolex care if the watch is going to a pre-paying customer? It doesn't change when they get paid.

If it's the latest game the dealers have made up and people want to participate I see no harm, but I really doubt Rolex is suddenly taking orders for allocated watches. It sure sounds smarter than paying over retail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:16 AM   #26
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
I've never placed a deposit or prepaid at any AD. I rather put that money to work in the stock market or short-term bank CD.
OK, but can you get an LV in 2 months?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:17 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Its really just a 100 percent deposit as opposed to a special order. Pay in full they bump you up their list. A lot of these were delivered at the end of the year per all the "incoming posts" so they may be scarce for a while. I got one too.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 03:09 AM   #28
Timdogg6
"TRF" Member

I paid an AD full price for a Skydweller in Sept of 2017, they just sent me my money back and said I'm still #1 on the list. That doesn't fit well with me, is the polite way to say it.
Timdogg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 12:37 PM   #29
aglasan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
I have placed special order twice with my AD for Hulk and Batman. Only placed 20% at ordering and watches were delivered within 2-5 months.
Does that special order come from Rolex stock, or AD had a possession on those and just waited to receive? Thanks
aglasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 11:51 AM   #30
RatDog19
"TRF" Member

Hey guys -

I walked through the entire Rolex directory and couldn't have anything but the Deep Blue (116660). I started calling around (living in central MI) and NO ONE had one available. I am from IL and my wife is from OH. Queried all ADs on both states - nothing - they didn't have what I wanted and they couldn't order it. I expanded my search to IL and was getting pretty discouraged. On the LAST call I made to IL, the guy said "Oh, the D Blue? Sure - we can order that for you." I made sure he knew what he was talking about, he was certain, and we said goodbye. Since then, I have sent him a trackable Cashiers Check for 25% of the watch, and he says it might be 3 to 6 months before the watch shows up. I'm really happy. I guess the thing I have to relate is "call over 25 different Rolex dealers to get what you want. Some will special order and most will not."
RatDog19 is offline   Reply With Quote