The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 November 2013, 03:12 AM   #1
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Purchasing In Japan/Tokyo

So I will be heading back to Tokyo in a few weeks for a 3 day watch hunting trip. I have combed through the prior threads, and have a number of places identified already (Housekihiroba, Jackroad, Kame Kichi) and directions on how to get there (thank you Otto and Tom for your contributions)

So here is my question -- when buying, do they all take credit cards? Based on Jackroad's website (and google translate) it appears as though they are pretty much cash and wire transfer. Is this correct? The other two appear to accept credit cards, but I suspect unlike the US where the cost of cc is buried I should expect to pay an additional fee for the use of the cc?

If I am successful in my hunt I am hoping to pick up a few pieces, but given that the price of some of them will likely be quite high (I am looking for vintage Rolex, PP, AP) I am not comfortable carrying that much cash and I am concerned about the timing of a wire if I say find a watch on my last day there. Any suggestions on the mechanics of pulling the trigger?

Thank you.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 03:40 AM   #2
G-Web
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Moon
Definitely an area where our Japan-based friends can help you.
But for starters, I'd recommend contacting your bank and talking it over with them. If nothing else, it's always good to let your bank know when you're traveling abroad, but especially in this case as you intend to spend some big money while there. They may be able to give you a better sense of what's involved with an international wire transfer. So hopefully you can avoid any last day panic.

As far as cash goes, I lived in Japan for 2 years, and while you must always exercise caution anywhere, it is still one of the world's safest places where people routinely carry plenty of cash. It is one of the reasons credit cards aren't as ubiquitous as they are here. Just make sure (again, with your bank) that you'll be able to make the necessary big withdrawals, and at which ATM's, as international ATM's aren;t always the easiest to find.

Good luck, and I look forward to more input from other members.
-GW
G-Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
From what I have read, US Customs via Rolex will only allow you to bring back one watch per person new or vintage. Hope someone else will be with you, and do not wear one there, as it would count against bringing another one back.
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 04:19 AM   #4
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
From what I have read, US Customs via Rolex will only allow you to bring back one watch per person new or vintage. Hope someone else will be with you, and do not wear one there, as it would count against bringing another one back.
Understood, thanks. There will be two of us and at most two Rolexes.
Old 20 November 2013, 04:25 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Web View Post
Definitely an area where our Japan-based friends can help you.
But for starters, I'd recommend contacting your bank and talking it over with them. If nothing else, it's always good to let your bank know when you're traveling abroad, but especially in this case as you intend to spend some big money while there. They may be able to give you a better sense of what's involved with an international wire transfer. So hopefully you can avoid any last day panic.

As far as cash goes, I lived in Japan for 2 years, and while you must always exercise caution anywhere, it is still one of the world's safest places where people routinely carry plenty of cash. It is one of the reasons credit cards aren't as ubiquitous as they are here. Just make sure (again, with your bank) that you'll be able to make the necessary big withdrawals, and at which ATM's, as international ATM's aren;t always the easiest to find.

Good luck, and I look forward to more input from other members.
-GW
Thanks -- completely agree on the safety issue -- my favorite city by far, and I am sure I would love it more if I actually spoke the language. I will be clearing with my bank as well (for some reason Chase stopped allowing me to do international wires from my corporate account), but I have my doubts I will be able to withdraw say 5M yen from an atm.

Thanks again. Next stop when back home is my friendly banker.
Old 20 November 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
So I will be heading back to Tokyo in a few weeks for a 3 day watch hunting trip. I have combed through the prior threads, and have a number of places identified already (Housekihiroba, Jackroad, Kame Kichi) and directions on how to get there (thank you Otto and Tom for your contributions)

So here is my question -- when buying, do they all take credit cards? Based on Jackroad's website (and google translate) it appears as though they are pretty much cash and wire transfer. Is this correct? The other two appear to accept credit cards, but I suspect unlike the US where the cost of cc is buried I should expect to pay an additional fee for the use of the cc?

If I am successful in my hunt I am hoping to pick up a few pieces, but given that the price of some of them will likely be quite high (I am looking for vintage Rolex, PP, AP) I am not comfortable carrying that much cash and I am concerned about the timing of a wire if I say find a watch on my last day there. Any suggestions on the mechanics of pulling the trigger?

Thank you.
I don't have much experience with using credit cards to buy watches in Japan. I have seen friends use a non-Japanese credit card, but the store required a transaction fee. Some stores, such as Housekihiroba, would not take credit cards for most stainless steel watch purchases. I don't know if that's still the case. Overall, the stores I visit appear to be cash environments.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 01:24 AM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I've bought a few watches from Houseki Hiroba with a credit card - no problems there. No extra fee or anything like that. Haven't bought from Jack Road or Kame Kichi despite lots of visits, so can't shed any light there.

If you're going to the vintage mecca that is Corleone in Harajuku (and you really should), from experience I know they charge a significant extra fee for credit card usage (I think it's 6%). With the price of vintage in Tokyo, this means that effectively you'd be crazy to use a card rather than cash.

Good luck with your visit!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Kame kichi will charge you a 3 % fee to use a credit card. Houseki Hiroba and Jack Road seem fine. I recommend Hoyseki Hiroba. Professional and with the largest selection of new and used.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 02:52 AM   #9
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I don't have much experience with using credit cards to buy watches in Japan. I have seen friends use a non-Japanese credit card, but the store required a transaction fee. Some stores, such as Housekihiroba, would not take credit cards for most stainless steel watch purchases. I don't know if that's still the case. Overall, the stores I visit appear to be cash environments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I've bought a few watches from Houseki Hiroba with a credit card - no problems there. No extra fee or anything like that. Haven't bought from Jack Road or Kame Kichi despite lots of visits, so can't shed any light there.

If you're going to the vintage mecca that is Corleone in Harajuku (and you really should), from experience I know they charge a significant extra fee for credit card usage (I think it's 6%). With the price of vintage in Tokyo, this means that effectively you'd be crazy to use a card rather than cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Kame kichi will charge you a 3 % fee to use a credit card. Houseki Hiroba and Jack Road seem fine. I recommend Hoyseki Hiroba. Professional and with the largest selection of new and used.
Guys, thank you for all the help. Looking forward to my mileage run/watch hunt in a few weeks. Really appreciate it.
Old 22 November 2013, 05:18 AM   #10
towernick
Banned

You can feel safe carrying a fairly large amount of cash in Tokyo, most of the locals carry a fair amount of cash and it's a very safe place, not once did I feel like I was in danger. Enjoy your trip!
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 09:51 AM   #11
DennisJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
In addition to the risk of being hit with 3-6% credit card surplus charge, cash is king as you can get a much better discount if you have Yen in your pocket. I suggest you bring enough cash and exchange in Tokyo, your credit card(s) can be used for meals and hotels...Even though credit card is possible it can be a pain in the butt, I spent more then 1 hour waiting while they cleared the payment, they had to call 10 different numbers

Maybe this is mentioned above already, but around Okachimachi station there are a few good 2nd hand shops, Satindoll and Quark.

See attached links for current stock (not showing all though)

http://satindollweb.com/
http://www.909.co.jp/
DennisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Otto

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

Just curious. Housekihiroba is one of my favorite stores and I have bought several watches there, but always with cash. Were you using a Japanese credit card? I ask because a few years ago, a friend and I met an Italian 747 pilot who was trying to make a quick purchase between flights and they wouldn't take a credit card for SS sport watches; specifically, in his case, an LV Sub; so we had to find a bank for him to change Euros to yen. I hope they've changed their policies. That would facilitate the occasional impulse buy!
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 11:00 AM   #13
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Buy in the US and wear it out if the country. Customs is no joke. Buying overseas is a hassle and I advise you don't do it. You won't save a dime after you declare and pay import duty.
Old 22 November 2013, 09:50 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just curious. Housekihiroba is one of my favorite stores and I have bought several watches there, but always with cash. Were you using a Japanese credit card? I ask because a few years ago, a friend and I met an Italian 747 pilot who was trying to make a quick purchase between flights and they wouldn't take a credit card for SS sport watches; specifically, in his case, an LV Sub; so we had to find a bank for him to change Euros to yen. I hope they've changed their policies. That would facilitate the occasional impulse buy!
Hi Otto. Yes, I used a Japanese credit card at Hoseki Hiroba - good point, as I guess the OP will have a non-Japanese one.
Old 27 June 2015, 02:30 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

An update: I recommended Corleone in Harajuku, Tokyo, in my post above for vintage Rolex and Tudor. Due to some very poor experiences with them since that, I no longer endorse them.
Old 27 June 2015, 04:05 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
And the yen has fallen against the dollar, what, 30% since this thread was started?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 11:43 PM   #17
bbressler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp, GMTII, Sub
Quote:
I bought a SS GMT from HH in December with a U.S. Visa card. They charged me a 3% fee
bbressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 11:49 PM   #18
bbressler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp, GMTII, Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
And the yen has fallen against the dollar, what, 30% since this thread was started?
I have to remember to look at the dates before replying to these ancient threads haha
bbressler is offline   Reply With Quote