The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2017, 09:36 PM   #1
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Sub / YM2 Interchangeable Clasps?

I'm thinking of getting a gold YM2 (116688) or gold Sub blue dial (116618LR). I like them both and am unsure of which I prefer, although it may be the YM2. However, apart from price, a big plus of the Sub is the Glidelock, whereas unfortunately (and without any apparent logic) the YM2 has the much less useful flip lock.

Does anyone know if the clasp from the Sub could be interchanged onto the YM2, if I could buy a spare gold clasp and how much such might be?
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:12 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I believe it would be interchangeable...I think all the oyster bracelets taper to the same size so the removable links and clasps are the same size. (Although I will stand corrected if this is not accurate). The exception being the new SD43, which I believe has a different bracelet size...although I don't know for sure.

The problem would be sourcing the clasp. And if you did, the expense, being precious metal, would be tremendous.

I think you'd be better off with the sub if the clasp was a concern to you. Personally, I would rather have the sub any day of the week.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:02 AM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Great choices! Yes, the clasps are interchangeable as are the full and half links. I love wearing the YM2 with my Sub glidelock. Sadly it's near impossible to source a YG glidelock and it's expensive (I believe it was north of $2k last I checked). I've been hunting for an extra for a while now.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:08 AM   #4
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks, Larry. I'm going to try both and make a decision. It's just I'm one of those people that actually really likes the unusual dial of the YM2 and its chrono look, but can't argue the Sub would be the safer bet.
Old 28 June 2017, 02:14 AM   #5
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Kilyung. Well there you go right there - from your pic of the two together I'm heading towards the YM2! I already have the gold and steel version but do like the all gold.

$2,000 is a lot but I think I'd pay that to transform the 'wearability' of the watch. I just wish Rolex put it on there from the start. Is it not possible to order one from Rolex?
Old 28 June 2017, 02:25 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Thanks Kilyung. Well there you go right there - from your pic of the two together I'm heading towards the YM2! I already have the gold and steel version but do like the all gold.

$2,000 is a lot but I think I'd pay that to transform the 'wearability' of the watch. I just wish Rolex put it on there from the start. Is it not possible to order one from Rolex?
I tried ordering from Rolex. Since I have both, I thought it'd be a simple matter of ordering a "replacement" for my Sub as Rolex requires the serial number of the watch. Nope. It's on a swap basis apparently. But I haven't given up hope yet.

If you find a source for the YG glidelock, let me know and I'll do the same.
Old 28 June 2017, 02:29 AM   #7
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Will do...
Old 28 June 2017, 04:30 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Thanks, Larry. I'm going to try both and make a decision. It's just I'm one of those people that actually really likes the unusual dial of the YM2 and its chrono look, but can't argue the Sub would be the safer bet.
Oh, I'm one of those people too...count me in the pro-YM2 camp. Love its eye-catching looks, wrist presence, and unique-ness (for lack of a better word).

At the end of the day, though, I'm just more of a sub guy than a chrono guy.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:34 AM   #9
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Nope. It's on a swap basis apparently. But I haven't given up hope yet.
Why would Rolex put parts on a swap basis? So that people don't go building their own or creating frankens?
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:22 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
Why would Rolex put parts on a swap basis? So that people don't go building their own or creating frankens?
Probably. That or to make more money. Or maybe both.
Old 28 June 2017, 09:03 PM   #11
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's bonkers that Rolex don't allow people to buy individual components such as clasps without it being part-for-part. It does nothing for brand loyalty either.

In my case they'd make less money, as I can't do a like for like swap, as I'd need a glidelock, not fliplock, so would simply be buying, at a premium, the component from them.