The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 March 2018, 04:06 AM   #1
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
Millennials asking questions

While talking watches with different demographics, I can’t help but notice the following opinions over and over again, especially from young educated individuals that are less susceptible to any hype:

1) Why does Rolex produce diving watches that can go to depths humans can’t, when all it does is negatively affect everyday wearability

2) Why would you drill an extra hole in the case (HEW), when the few people that actually need one are unlikely to dive with a $10k+ watch

3) Why would you make brightly bi-coloured bezels, when Rolex needs to project elegance and class

4) Why would you continue to produce so called sports and tool watches, when people doing sports wear Apple, Fitbit, Suunto, etc. and don’t want to worry about their watch while doing so (… substitute your own “is it safe” activity…). In addition, a smart watch provides significantly more functionality.

5) Why does Rolex stick to obsolete looking cases, instead of designing with simple, modern, and elegant curves that project class, exclusivity, and art

6) Why doesn’t Rolex provide display casebacks so that people can actually admire and appreciate the artistic value of their mechanical timepiece

I guess the answer to all of the above is history and tradition. I know only a handful of millennials that care enough about these to give Rolex a serious consideration, though.

Curious how rolex is going to address this problem long term, other than boosting exclusivity through unavailability

What would you do if you were Rolex CEO?

The word on the street is that we should prepare to be shocked by Rolex at Basel this year. I sincerely hope so! Let's see something refreshingly new :-)
gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:14 AM   #2
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Why not?
Old 18 March 2018, 04:16 AM   #3
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
You must be speaking to the wrong people, everyone I've met young and old alike respect rolex for what it is.

Radical change would devalue the brand.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
because they can.

why pay sky high rent instead of buying a home?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:20 AM   #5
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
While talking watches with different demographics, I can’t help but notice the following opinions over and over again, especially from young educated individuals that are less susceptible to any hype:

3) Why would you make brightly bi-coloured bezels, when Rolex needs to project elegance and class
Because the bi-colored bezel GMT Master was conceived as a functional pilot's watch that needed to project multiple time zones at work, not jewelry designed to project "elegance and class" while attending the opera.

Rolex makes other models designed to do the latter.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:20 AM   #6
TurboDiesel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Why not?
Exactly
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:27 AM   #7
Rollright
"TRF" Member

Why change something that seems to be working for them?

When I was in college, high end watches we're not even in my radar. But ive had multiple conversations with college students lately who ask me about high end watches all the time, especially Rolex.

So I've had kind of the opposite experience that you have had. It seems like Rolex is a bigger deal to millennials than it was before.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Rollright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:27 AM   #8
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Why do glider pilots always view things in such a recherché fashion?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:29 AM   #9
catsby90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
because they can.

why pay sky high rent instead of buying a home?
This is a bit of a straw man...few millennial who have the option of owning opt to rent.
Old 18 March 2018, 04:30 AM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

1) Why does Rolex produce diving watches that can go to depths humans can’t, when all it does is negatively affect everyday wearability

2) Why would you drill an extra hole in the case (HEW), when the few people that actually need one are unlikely to dive with a $10k+ watch

4) Why would you continue to produce so called sports and tool watches, when people doing sports wear Apple, Fitbit, Suunto, etc. and don’t want to worry about their watch while doing so (… substitute your own “is it safe” activity…). In addition, a smart watch provides significantly more functionality.

5) Why does Rolex stick to obsolete looking cases, instead of designing with simple, modern, and elegant curves that project class, exclusivity, and art

6) Why doesn’t Rolex provide display casebacks so that people can actually admire and appreciate the artistic value of their mechanical timepiece

I guess the answer to all of the above is history and tradition. I know only a handful of millennials that care enough about these to give Rolex a serious consideration, though.

Curious how rolex is going to address this problem long term, other than boosting exclusivity through unavailability

What would you do if you were Rolex CEO?

The word on the street is that we should prepare to be shocked by Rolex at Basel this year. I sincerely hope so! Let's see something refreshingly new :-)
What street are we talking about here?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:30 AM   #11
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Answers:
#1-4 ...I think you said it best, history and tradition
#5...I think Rolex has a great mix of all case shapes...modern, nods to past references, elegance, etc...
#6...I don’t think Rolex feels an importance for display case back....back to history/tradition.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:32 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m very happy with the direction that Rolex is headed, and where they’ve been.

Rolex builds watches that push the boundaries. They are mechanical miracles on the wrist. Some don’t get it I suppose.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:35 AM   #13
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

‘Problem’?
Timetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:41 AM   #14
JacksonStone
Banned

I actually have asked some of these questions myself, and I'm an old fart. Regarding questions 1 and 2, I fully agree. The outer limits of saturation diving are 2,000 feet, so the 4k-foot WR of the regular Sea-Dweller already covers what anyone could possibly need; the 12k+ WR of the DSSD is overkill by any objective measure. And only saturation divers need the HEV. In all my years on watch forums, I only ever saw one such diver post, and he claimed he doesn't even wear a watch on the job.

As for Q4, I never wear my Rolex during sporting activities; for those, I wear a G-Shock or an Ironman. But I do wear a sports model Rolex for daily use (a SubC Date) because it is the perfect blend of form and function for my needs, notwithstanding the fact I will never put its WR to use.

As for the rest, the young 'uns just don't get it.

Q3: function.

Q5: crazy talk.

Q6: display backs are overrated.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:43 AM   #15
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
“If you have to ask, you’ll never understand .”
Old 18 March 2018, 04:44 AM   #16
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I keep hearing millennial don't wear watches. In Potomac/dc they do. My brother and his friends all wear watches, one sold some bitcoin for a daytona c, and I technically am a Millennial as well.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:45 AM   #17
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Rolex does what it does best. Most things appeal to me, some don't. My only Rolex now is my OP34 with silver dial, and I love every aspect about it.

The thing with Rolex is IMO most everything they do is done very well. And some things that other brands do, they just don't do at all.
Old 18 March 2018, 04:46 AM   #18
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Sorry, it was not my intention to ruffle any feathers, just echoing what I hear from young, educated, affluent people (that even know how HEW works) and curious how some of you see it...

"Why not?" is actually a pretty good answer :-)
Old 18 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #19
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, it was not my intention to ruffle any feathers, just echoing what I hear from young, educated, affluent people (that even know what HEW is) and curious how some of you see it...

"Why not?" is actually a pretty good answer :-)
No feathers ruffled here but I still would like to know on what street you heard about Rolex most guarded secret?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #20
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I guess people will classify me as a millennial. I’m turning 24 and I respect the Traditions of Rolex and I love the direction Rolex is going.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:10 AM   #21
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
No feathers ruffled here but I still would like to know on what street you heard about Rolex most guarded secret?
I overheard a conversation between two gentlemen who seemed to know what they were talking about (watch industry-wise) while boarding a plane in Munich.

Like other speculations, probably completely meaningless. But it gives me hope that Rolex will listen and adapt to face the reality of rapidly improving wearable technology (this time it is not just some quartz that improves timekeeping, it is a whole new beast with massively superior functionality).

I just really wish I never see the day Rolex starts to struggle...
Old 18 March 2018, 05:13 AM   #22
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
I guess people will classify me as a millennial. I’m turning 24 and I respect the Traditions of Rolex and I love the direction Rolex is going.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:16 AM   #23
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
1. Over-engineering is good. When you dive into the water from even a 3 foot diving board, the water pressure on impact with the water's surface jumps to the same pressure you'd experience at 200m. It only lasts for a second, but that's enough for water to get inside. Most folks wear their diving watches as everyday timepieces so you never know when a situation arises that will find you in the water. Siht happens.

2. Serious divers do indeed use expensive watches for diving. They don't call them "tool watches" for nothing.

3. Why not make both colored bezels and traditional bezels? Serve more of the market. And as some have said already, the colored bezels are useful on the GMTs.

4. Rolex's sales numbers and demand for many models suggests the time of the mechanical watch is not yet over. I have an Apple Watch, and while I thought it was all "Wowee!" at first, I've come to feel that it sucks. I use a Fitbit for fitness tracking. It wasn't until the latest version of the Apple Watch that it did everything without having your iPhone with it. And daily charging?? Yeah, no thanks.

5. Obsolete cases, or classic/traditional cases? Potato/potaaato. Again, demand for Rolex watches tells us there is still a desire for this type of watch.

6. Display casebacks suck. Not as strong as all-metal, and you can only see the display when you're not wearing the watch. Take the watch off, look at the display back while turning the watch, say "huh", and then put the watch on. Also, many of these display casebacks add a couple millimeters to the thickness of the watch. Makes a big difference in overall wearability. I have one on my co-axial Speedmaster and I hate it. It's the only thing I hate about my Speedy, and I'm constantly looking for an all-metal replacement back.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:17 AM   #24
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Some day in the future the Millennials will grow up and mature enough to figure out the answers of these questions by themselves and join the crowd to chase the classic Rolex timepieces.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 05:19 AM   #25
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
No one is being forced to buy a Rolex. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 05:23 AM   #26
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
No one is being forced to buy a Rolex. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple.
I think the point is whether there will be enough people in future generations who do want to buy it.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 05:25 AM   #27
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsby90 View Post
This is a bit of a straw man...few millennial who have the option of owning opt to rent.
im a millenial. just not the sterotype.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:25 AM   #28
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I think the point is whether there will be enough people in future generations who do want to buy it.
who knows. in their lifetime yes.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:27 AM   #29
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I keep hearing millennial don't wear watches. In Potomac/dc they do. My brother and his friends all wear watches, one sold some bitcoin for a daytona c, and I technically am a Millennial as well.
Just curious your age range without being specific?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 05:30 AM   #30
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
Thank you for being the voice of sanity and reason, lol. Regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote