The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 July 2015, 03:50 AM   #1
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Anyone have info on DateJust matte dials?

Looking for a birth year (1972) DateJust with the matte black dial. Does anyone know what year these were made? Most I see are between 1970 and 1974.

Related question: how anal do most of you get with birth year serials? A case with a late 1971 serial was probably put together in 1972.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 04:05 AM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
My Matte black Oyster dial is on a 1972. Shouldn't be too hard to find one with a 72 date code
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 04:16 AM   #3
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have made the same observation as you, but I do not think anyone really knows when they were available? Where there catalogs back then with the available dials?

Concerning a birth year watch, I never really bothered because I can't really decide if it should be when the case was made, the caseback date, when it was assembled(anybodies guess) or when it was sold.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 05:14 AM   #4
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I have made the same observation as you, but I do not think anyone really knows when they were available? Where there catalogs back then with the available dials?

Concerning a birth year watch, I never really bothered because I can't really decide if it should be when the case was made, the caseback date, when it was assembled(anybodies guess) or when it was sold.
As far as I know Rolex was sourcing dials from Singer and Beyeler in the early 70's. I'm sure there's data from the companies out there with the dial variants they sent Rolex. But finding that would probably be quite tough, I absolutely love midsize Rolex and have studied there variants for the past few years and haven't found this encyclopedia of dials yet though.

Personally a caseback date code would be preferable for a birthyear since you know when it was assembled. Second would be papers
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
Personally a caseback date code would be preferable for a birthyear since you know when it was assembled. Second would be papers
Are you sure about this? I always thought that it was the manufacturing date for the caseback, just like the date code in a bracelet is for when it was assembled? There are batches of very common caseback codes out there.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 01:15 AM   #6
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Only think about the caseback date is that I've yet to see a DJ with a date code on the back. I think I may wait a bit longer and find the right serial.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 02:33 AM   #7
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Anyone have info on DateJust matte dials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
Only think about the caseback date is that I've yet to see a DJ with a date code on the back. I think I may wait a bit longer and find the right serial.

DJs have them, through early 70's. Here's one of mine (now sold):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote