The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
5140 watch winder question.

I know it is unidirectional and counter clockwise. But after a few days on my Wolf winder it stops. Anyone know if it only keeps its power with the Patek watch winder?
Thanks.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
I know it is unidirectional and counter clockwise. But after a few days on my Wolf winder it stops. Anyone know if it only keeps its power with the Patek watch winder?
Thanks.
Movement 240 Q is CCW 880 TPD.
If you wind it up but it stops on the winder after a couple of days, something is wrong with either the winder or the watch.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:50 AM   #3
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Movement 240 Q is CCW 880 TPD.
If you wind it up but it stops on the winder after a couple of days, something is wrong with either the winder or the watch.
Thanks.
Old 31 March 2022, 01:11 AM   #4
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

FWIW it should be 800 TPD
Old 31 March 2022, 03:02 AM   #5
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

My Patek also has a 240 movement and I find that 800 winds is not enough. I was finding that it was also running down and not maintaining the wind count. Even at 900, I find that it just slightly runs down from my reference point. So I wouldn't be surprised with you that it runs and then eventually not make it to the end of the day before the winder starts again.

Also, this is just me, I like to run it bi-directional. I feel that even though it isn't winding clockwise that the time seems to be kept better when going in both directions.
somthingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:24 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by somthingnew View Post
My Patek also has a 240 movement and I find that 800 winds is not enough. I was finding that it was also running down and not maintaining the wind count. Even at 900, I find that it just slightly runs down from my reference point. So I wouldn't be surprised with you that it runs and then eventually not make it to the end of the day before the winder starts again.

Also, this is just me, I like to run it bi-directional. I feel that even though it isn't winding clockwise that the time seems to be kept better when going in both directions.
it's hard to find a unidirectional winder, most turn both ways.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:04 AM   #7
Rcg412
"TRF" Member

I use CCW 650, keeps it wound
Rcg412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 09:56 AM   #8
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all.
I unidirectionally CC had it at 850. And after 3-4 days, watch stops completely. I am wondering if it has to do with the watch facing up as with the Patek watch winder that I do not presently own. It seems to last longer than the 38 hour power reserve but it eventually stops ...
Old 31 March 2022, 09:20 PM   #9
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks all.
I unidirectionally CC had it at 850. And after 3-4 days, watch stops completely. I am wondering if it has to do with the watch facing up as with the Patek watch winder that I do not presently own. It seems to last longer than the 38 hour power reserve but it eventually stops ...
The watch on a winder should be facing sideways and not up. The rotor works via gravity and with the watch facing up it is not rotating even when the winder is. The winder is suppose to turn the rotor in order to “wind” the watch. The Patek watch winder needs to be lying it’s side in order for it to work. Cannot leave it face up…
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 10:46 PM   #10
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
The watch on a winder should be facing sideways and not up. The rotor works via gravity and with the watch facing up it is not rotating even when the winder is. The winder is suppose to turn the rotor in order to “wind” the watch. The Patek watch winder needs to be lying it’s side in order for it to work. Cannot leave it face up…
Must be problem with the watch then. Thanks.
Old 1 April 2022, 08:05 AM   #11
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Must be problem with the watch then. Thanks.
Don’t think the watch is the problem….you need to have the watch and winder on it’s side and not face up.
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 10:24 AM   #12
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Don’t think the watch is the problem….you need to have the watch and winder on it’s side and not face up.
I have had it on its side and still stops. I changed the settings to see what happens on Monday night. Still running after 72 hours or so. Will check tomorrow.
Thanks.
Old 23 April 2022, 07:13 PM   #13
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

If you know how many tpd your watch needs then film the watch winder working for say 1hr and count the turns it is doing. Often winders perform way different to what they say on the box
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 11:38 PM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

If it were me, I would upgrade my winder from Wolf to something a little better for a 5140 Patek. You can now buy the Patek Travel winder separately. I would suggest you get that one. Might also make sense just to buy the standard PP winding box as it can be set to only turn CC. As I said above, most winders turn both ways which is not really optimal for unidirectional winding watches, so why use them.
Old 24 April 2022, 06:07 AM   #15
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If it were me, I would upgrade my winder from Wolf to something a little better for a 5140 Patek. You can now buy the Patek Travel winder separately. I would suggest you get that one. Might also make sense just to buy the standard PP winding box as it can be set to only turn CC. As I said above, most winders turn both ways which is not really optimal for unidirectional winding watches, so why use them.
What does a Patek winder do that a Wolf does not? As long as you stick to the programmable line in Wolf, they can be programmed to be CCW or CW or both directions. And the winds are adjustable turns per day in 50 count increments. So unless you really need a matching Patek, it feels like a big expense as I know it will be significantly more than other brands.
Old 27 April 2022, 01:00 PM   #16
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
If you know how many tpd your watch needs then film the watch winder working for say 1hr and count the turns it is doing. Often winders perform way different to what they say on the box
Quote:
Quote:
What does a Patek winder do that a Wolf does not? As long as you stick to the programmable line in Wolf, they can be programmed to be CCW or CW or both directions. And the winds are adjustable turns per day in 50 count increments. So unless you really need a matching Patek, it feels like a big expense as I know it will be significantly more than other brands.
Thanks all!
My wolf can be set to CCW and winds up to 850 turns per day max. I read somewhere the Patek needs 900 turns? Anyway, I will get a PP winder cause having a Perpetual calendar stopping every 3-4 days is a pain to me. Or I will just have to use it every day.
Old 27 April 2022, 10:57 PM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks all!
My wolf can be set to CCW and winds up to 850 turns per day max. I read somewhere the Patek needs 900 turns? Anyway, I will get a PP winder cause having a Perpetual calendar stopping every 3-4 days is a pain to me. Or I will just have to use it every day.
To me the benefit of the PP winder is they turn so slowly. Basically, gravity moves the rotor, and it is not spun around on the faster moving winders which puts wear on the rotor assembly over time, ceramic bearings or not.
Old 29 April 2022, 07:34 AM   #18
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me the benefit of the PP winder is they turn so slowly. Basically, gravity moves the rotor, and it is not spun around on the faster moving winders which puts wear on the rotor assembly over time, ceramic bearings or not.
Respectfully, this is simply not true. The rotor is rotating the same number of times either way.

Obviously, a winder cannot wind the watch if it's face up but otherwise, there is no watch that a Wolf winder (which is itself is not cheap) cannot wind.

If it's running down, there's a problem with the movement.
Old 1 May 2022, 10:23 AM   #19
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Respectfully, this is simply not true. The rotor is rotating the same number of times either way.

Obviously, a winder cannot wind the watch if it's face up but otherwise, there is no watch that a Wolf winder (which is itself is not cheap) cannot wind.

If it's running down, there's a problem with the movement.
I have worn the watch for 10 days straight and never had a problem with it running down. It might be the rotor is sticky or does not rotate easily with the winder. Although visually I jiggle the watch around and see the rotor moving super fast as any rotor would do. Thanks all again for your input! But, I have owned the watch for only a few months and I live overseas from Patek boutiques. So I will just keep it as is until a few years, and do the waiting thing (Patek service), which could take weeks and another plane flight to pick it up. This is one watch (among others), that will be a keeper for life.
Old 2 May 2022, 11:39 AM   #20
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks all.
There is no wolf winder, or any winder really, that displays the watch face up.

It is possible that you don't have the winder oriented properly?

Do you have a pic or maybe name the model?
Old 2 May 2022, 12:15 PM   #21
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There is no wolf winder, or any winder really, that displays the watch face up.

It is possible that you don't have the winder oriented properly?

Do you have a pic or maybe name the model?
My mistake thinking the Patek winder works face up. I was later corrected that it is not used that way. My triple watch Wolf Winder ( IIRC called "Viceroy"), has all types of settings individually, for each watch. And I use it in the normal fashion with the watches facing forward of course.
Thanks again! The Patek has no timing accuracy issues at all. Thankfully.
Old 2 May 2022, 02:09 PM   #22
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My mistake thinking the Patek winder works face up. I was later corrected that it is not used that way. My triple watch Wolf Winder ( IIRC called "Viceroy"), has all types of settings individually, for each watch. And I use it in the normal fashion with the watches facing forward of course.
Thanks again! The Patek has no timing accuracy issues at all. Thankfully.
If you have a Viceroy, then you are definitely not limited to 850 winds per day. As mentioned above, I set mine to 900. But the winder can go up to 1,200. I would recommend trying a higher number than what you have to see if that helps before you spend on another winder.
Old 3 May 2022, 03:47 AM   #23
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you have a Viceroy, then you are definitely not limited to 850 winds per day. As mentioned above, I set mine to 900. But the winder can go up to 1,200. I would recommend trying a higher number than what you have to see if that helps before you spend on another winder.
Thank you!!!!

I figured a way to set it to 1000! It's an old model I have, and the beeper that sounds off when trying to go up or down ...sometimes did not work. So I figured I had hit the limit at 850.
Old 3 May 2022, 04:50 AM   #24
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!!!!

I figured a way to set it to 1000! It's an old model I have, and the beeper that sounds off when trying to go up or down ...sometimes did not work. So I figured I had hit the limit at 850.
Great to hear. My model is 10 years old and still going. One thing to note, if you lose power, it will reset (I think always, not 100%) to 850 again. So keep an eye on that.
Old 3 May 2022, 09:03 AM   #25
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great to hear. My model is 10 years old and still going. One thing to note, if you lose power, it will reset (I think always, not 100%) to 850 again. So keep an eye on that.

Certainly will! Many thanks again!