The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2019, 11:44 PM   #1
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Finished my night shift and came back to this...

Spent all night at the hospital thinking about this incoming. The delivery guy couldn't come sooner.

Now for the purposes of sizing I live in a city that does not have an AP boutique or AD. What would you do:

1. Go to any AD and ask them to size it?
2. Go to the NYC boutique in a couple of weeks to size it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:50 PM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC

It all depends on your “risk tolerance.” I do this myself but you do have to have a good fitting screwdriver and also realize there may be loctite (in that case warming the bracelet worth a hair dryer helps). You can wrap around the bracelet with electrical tape to help prevent inadvertent scratches.

An AD should have the proper tools and experience to make scratches less likely (although there are threads of people having scratches after AD sizing).

I do this somewhat out of necessity. The closest AD is 2-2.5 hours away depending on Chicago traffic.

Congrats!

srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:14 AM   #3
systematic.entropy
"TRF" Member

Dayum, that rotor is gorgeous. Congrats. I'd make sure to acquire the proper sized screwdrivers and size it myself. From experience, I do not trust anyone to do things like this that I can physically do for myself.
systematic.entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:41 AM   #4
thekman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
It all depends on your “risk tolerance.” I do this myself but you do have to have a good fitting screwdriver and also realize there may be loctite (in that case warming the bracelet worth a hair dryer helps). You can wrap around the bracelet with electrical tape to help prevent inadvertent scratches.

An AD should have the proper tools and experience to make scratches less likely (although there are threads of people having scratches after AD sizing).

I do this somewhat out of necessity. The closest AD is 2-2.5 hours away depending on Chicago traffic.

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematic.entropy View Post
Dayum, that rotor is gorgeous. Congrats. I'd make sure to acquire the proper sized screwdrivers and size it myself. From experience, I do not trust anyone to do things like this that I can physically do for myself.

Thank guys!

I always change the bracelets/straps on my Rolex, Omega, JLC and Seikos myself. I just feel like this is a different beast but maybe I should just man up. Do you recommend any specific tools?

Old 29 August 2019, 01:14 AM   #5
illini675
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
First of all, congratulations on the beautiful 15500!!

Second, size it yourself. Get the proper jewelers screwdriver and be careful, and you will not have any trouble. The screws are a bit tight from the factory, so make sure the screw driver is properly seated in the groove before you apply any rotation.

The screws that cap the pins are also extremely small (much smaller than you'd see on a Rolex bracelet), so be sure to work on a well lit table and on a cushion that the small screws cant fall of of or roll away on. You work in a hospital, so I assume you have fairly steady hands!

The pins come out from the same side that the screws come out from. You can give them a light poke with a needle from the opposite side if necessary to get them to come out, but you won't need to press.

Hope that helps! Good luck and post a wrist shot when you're all done!
Old 29 August 2019, 02:14 AM   #6
systematic.entropy
"TRF" Member

+1 on what everyone is saying. Get PROPER tools. Spring for a pair or Swiss made jewelers/watchmakers screwdrivers. I don't know what size you'll need, you may be able to either call a Boutique or even APSC-Clearwater to confirm. My ROO is 14mm or 12mm, if I recall correctly. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a cushion to work on as well. Like others have mentioned, electrical tape can help protect surfaces, just have your wits about you. Go slow and steady, if something doesn't feel right, stop.

***I cannot express how important good quality proper fitting screwdrivers are. If they fit correctly, they are highly UNLIKELY to pop out and scratch. If they are poor quality and don't fit correctly, they are highly LIKELY to break and/or pop out and cause you to scratch your case. Ofrei and Essinger are good sources.
systematic.entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:41 AM   #7
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini675 View Post
The pins come out from the same side that the screws come out from. You can give them a light poke with a needle from the opposite side if necessary to get them to come out, but you won't need to press.
Good point about the pins coming out from the same side. I think that surprises and confuses some people who haven't seen this before.

I'd just use a toothpick, if necessary to poke. Don't want any needlepoint scratches.

I removed a link from my Jumbo. Not sure if the screw slots are the same size, but here's a link to my experience and tips:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...54&postcount=9

Actually, I guess I didn't really provide tips, just described my experience. My tips are:
  • Quality tools - I used Wiha. I don't trust cheap tools for finishing or strength.
  • Scotch tape - In order to thicken the screwdriver blade and to prevent scratches, I folded a small piece (blade wide) of tape over the tip.
  • Loctite - Keep screws screwed.
  • Boutique Sizing - Too late for OP, but if picking up in person, consider having them size it for you. If it's being shipped to you, give them your wrist measurement and they can pre-size it.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:45 AM   #8
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
If you're in Boston, go see Brad @ Shreve Crump & Low on Newbury. They used to be an AD and can help.
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:49 AM   #9
illini675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematic.entropy View Post
+1 on what everyone is saying. Get PROPER tools. Spring for a pair or Swiss made jewelers/watchmakers screwdrivers. I don't know what size you'll need, you may be able to either call a Boutique or even APSC-Clearwater to confirm. My ROO is 14mm or 12mm, if I recall correctly. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a cushion to work on as well. Like others have mentioned, electrical tape can help protect surfaces, just have your wits about you. Go slow and steady, if something doesn't feel right, stop.

***I cannot express how important good quality proper fitting screwdrivers are. If they fit correctly, they are highly UNLIKELY to pop out and scratch. If they are poor quality and don't fit correctly, they are highly LIKELY to break and/or pop out and cause you to scratch your case. Ofrei and Essinger are good sources.
Right on.

One other tip: If you happen to have a Panerai watch as well, the OEM strap changing screwdriver they provide is the best screwdriver I've come across and fits perfectly for the AP bracelet screws. The blade has absolutely no taper to it, and is quite deep, so it fully engages with the screw head and provides maximum purchase.
Old 29 August 2019, 02:55 AM   #10
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Good point about the pins coming out from the same side. I think that surprises and confuses some people who haven't seen this before.

I'd just use a toothpick, if necessary to poke. Don't want any needlepoint scratches.

I removed a link from my Jumbo. Not sure if the screw slots are the same size, but here's a link to my experience and tips:

Actually, I guess I didn't really provide tips, just described my experience. My tips are:
  • Quality tools - I used Wiha. I don't trust cheap tools for finishing or strength.
  • Scotch tape - In order to thicken the screwdriver blade and to prevent scratches, I folded a small piece (blade wide) of tape over the tip.
  • Boutique Sizing - Too late for OP, but if picking up in person, consider having them size it for you. If it's being shipped to you, give them your wrist measurement and they can pre-size it.
Oh, also a note: I mentioned in my linked post that the Boutique told me to use a 1.4mm screwdriver, but I found that would be too small. So then I called Clearwater, and they advised me to not allow a non-authorized dealer to adjust the bracelet. I guess that's them just being safe, but at the time there was not a boutique or AD in Atlanta, so I would have either had to ship it to a boutique or drive up to Charlotte, NC or something, so that wasn't going to happen.

The truth is any good jeweler should be able to do it, but you have to find one you can trust to be as careful as you would be. Or just do it yourself.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:25 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you have a cut out screw driver in 1.4mm go ahead and do it yourself. Not any more challenging than sizing a rolex. Use a haridryer for 60 seconds before sizing to loosen any loctite.

I would not trust an AD unless you know them very well. They often scratch em up and assume everyone is not meticulous about their watch.

Almost forgot, Congrats and enjoy in good health
Old 29 August 2019, 04:35 AM   #12
illini675
"TRF" Member

This is the profile you’re looking for.

Old 29 August 2019, 05:22 AM   #13
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Its a beauty. I bet it was tough waiting all night with that on your mind!
Old 29 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #14
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Even though Boston has no AP AD anymore, find out which stores used to be AP dealers and they will be able to do it.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:32 AM   #15
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Very beautiful! Congratulations on the 15500, I’m loving this more and more each time I see it.
pkrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 08:18 AM   #16
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Even though Boston has no AP AD anymore, find out which stores used to be AP dealers and they will be able to do it.

Well, they don’t have to have been an AD to be able to do it.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:24 AM   #17
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

love the classic black color, showing excellent contrast with the hour markers and AP logo. Nice catch.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 11:35 AM   #18
calh22a
Banned

Congrats! I felt the same as you when I got mine in terms of being nervous about sizing it myself. There are no ADs or boutiques around me. After browsing the forums, I just did it on my own and it was pretty easy. Some of the screws can be stubborn from loctite so have a hairdryer handy. Just take your time and you should be good! I think it’s better to DIY than leave it to some random person that probably won’t be as cautious/meticulous as you.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:00 PM   #19
Dchan83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post

Don’t use loc- tite
Dchan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:17 PM   #20
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Very nice , black looks great - congrats!
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:45 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchan83 View Post
Don’t use loc- tite
I do there is a formula for this specific application and it’s used by various manufacturers to ensure the screws won’t back out. I use purple 222MS. Just a touch of the end of a toothpick and dab on the female threads. Don’t need to be heavy handed.
Old 29 August 2019, 06:45 PM   #22
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I do there is a formula for this specific application and it’s used by various manufacturers to ensure the screws won’t back out. I use purple 222MS. Just a touch of the end of a toothpick and dab on the female threads. Don’t need to be heavy handed.

Yep, the purple one. Just a toothpick dab.
Old 30 August 2019, 12:12 AM   #23
thekman
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the great tips. I am came back home from my following night shift and just took off all the stickers and plastics and started taking wrist shots like a mad man. I still need to take off 2 links for it to fit properly.

Old 30 August 2019, 12:56 AM   #24
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Very nice time piece, congrats
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 01:41 AM   #25
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Nice one! i can pick mine up next week cant wait.
Old 30 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #26
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Looks beautiful, nice watch
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 04:14 AM   #27
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX

Congratulations!

I'm so glad there was a happy ending to this one...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 04:51 AM   #28
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For all the DIY’ers, did you actually do your work safely?

I saw some contradictory advice...

for the OP...do it yourself if you’re experienced already. But don’t be a novice with that beauty. You could likely find an experienced hand at a local watchmaker shop.

But if you go DIY, in addition to doing this work with the proper tools, you ought to follow best practices.

Resizing ought to be done with the bracelet in a block to stabilize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #29
S4one
"TRF" Member

Not sure how much that will help. Usually it the hand with he screw driver that moves and causes scratches. However the block can aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
For all the DIY’ers, did you actually do your work safely?

I saw some contradictory advice...

for the OP...do it yourself if you’re experienced already. But don’t be a novice with that beauty. You could likely find an experienced hand at a local watchmaker shop.

But if you go DIY, in addition to doing this work with the proper tools, you ought to follow best practices.

Resizing ought to be done with the bracelet in a block to stabilize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
S4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 06:40 AM   #30
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yeah, I have one of those. I probably used it, but it’s not necessary, depending on the steadiness of your hands.