The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, AP, and PP
US Customs

I am confused with the rules on bringing more than one Rolex. Does the rule only applies to American citizens or Residences only. Does it apply to visitors and/or students? The other part of the rule that is still unclear to me is that it only applies to new Rolex purchased overseas, what if both watches are previously used and for personal enjoyment only? I am planning on bringing my Daytona and Sub to the US. I am a student which means that the watches would be brought back with me when I depart the US. Can anyone please chime in?
Kadhytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm pretty sure it applies to everyone, and for new and used Rolex....none by mail, one in person.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm pretty sure it applies to everyone, and for new and used Rolex....none by mail, one in person.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 29 July 2014, 03:04 PM   #4
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
I've always taken more than one watch with me into the Sates and when I'm going through US customs I let them know whatvim bringing in and that the watches are mine and they will be coming back with me upon my return home.
There has never been an issue with it

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
ExplorerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
As they are not staying it would not be a problem if you are a resident of Indonesia. I never have a problem bringing more than one watch in the US frm Canada on vacation. Those are personal possessions.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerChris View Post
I've always taken more than one watch with me into the Sates and when I'm going through US customs I let them know whatvim bringing in and that the watches are mine and they will be coming back with me upon my return home.
Are the two watches Rolex?
Old 29 July 2014, 03:32 PM   #7
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadhytia View Post
Are the two watches Rolex?
Yes they were
An Oysterdate Precision and an Explorer II

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 29 July 2014, 03:56 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Your "luck" will eventually run out.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 04:02 PM   #9
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I'm back and forth to the US monthly
8 trips to Vegas in five years
I've always been honest and upfront with customs and never had an issue and have no reason to expect any issues in the future.
I tell customs what Im bringing into the country and what I take in is exactly what I bring back with me.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 29 July 2014, 04:18 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I'm back and forth to the US monthly
8 trips to Vegas in five years
I've always been honest and upfront with customs and never had an issue and have no reason to expect any issues in the future.
I tell customs what Im bringing into the country and what I take in is exactly what I bring back with me.
ok
Old 29 July 2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Not sure luck has anything to do with it? The watches are not staying in the US and therfore no duty is required on personal possessions that will be returning to the country of the original purchase orgin.

you are ONLY required to pay taxes on items purchased abroad when returning to your country of residence if they are over the limit set by your home country. This information is normally located on your landing card.
Old 29 July 2014, 04:50 PM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Not sure luck has anything to do with it? The watches are not staying in the US and therfore no duty is required on personal possessions that will be returning to the country of the original purchase orgin.

you are ONLY required to pay taxes on items purchased abroad when returning to your country of residence if they are over the limit set by your home country. This information is normally located on your landing card.
Agree but the fact that you're only allowed 1 Rolex is not noted on the landing card and yes, luck has everything to do with it.
Old 29 July 2014, 05:06 PM   #13
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The issue isn't taxes. It's trademark protection rules, which in effect makes it illegal for anyone other than Rolex USA to import a Rolex into the country other than a single watch on your person. So the issue isn't whether the watches will be staying in the USA. There is a real possibility they will never make it into the USA at all as they can be confiscated on entry - and you won't get them back when you leave either.

My advice is to contact US Customs, explain your traveling situation and ask for whatever forms need to be filled out in order to enter with more than one watch. I think there is a thread on this somewhere in the not too distant past. I know this can be done with a US citizen that is leaving the country with more than one and bringing them back. Essentially you declare them before you leave so they know about them when you return. But I'm not sure how this would work when the watches didn't start out in the US.

While it's reasonable to assume customs is not entirely strict (this issue would be a lot more well known if they were confiscating everyone's watches that came to visit) the point is the law says they can. So there is some level of risk.
Old 29 July 2014, 05:09 PM   #14
MikeBuzzsaw
"TRF" Member

Couldn't I just wear a rolex on each of one of my arms and legs? Why do I need to report that to customs? It's fashionable.
MikeBuzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 05:14 PM   #15
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw View Post
Couldn't I just wear a rolex on each of one of my arms and legs? Why do I need to report that to customs? It's fashionable.
That's a good idea. This way maybe you get to choose which one they let you keep.
Old 29 July 2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
US Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

^^^. This sums it up.

Here is a link to the exact ruling by U.S. Customs - TMK 05-00269 (You are allowed to bring in one Rolex. Any more would require written consent, which you probably won't receive from Rolex U.S.A.):

http://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=h071620&ac=pr

This is the type of situation that you have to go by the letter of the law rather than other's experiences of getting through. If you ever get asked by U.S. customs when entering the states, knowing the laws will help you. If you have additional questions contact the source directly.

Rolex USA has the IP rights.

If you go to iprs.cbp.gov (intellectual property rights) and type the word Rolex in the search feature:

This will provide a contact name for the law firm. Select the hyperlink under the Title Product for Rolex:

Here's a contact number you can call and ask.

Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 05:55 PM   #17
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This seems crazy!

So as a Brit visiting NYC I can only bring one of my rolexes, if I bring a few of my rolex watches I run the risk of have all but one confiscated and not returned when I fly back to the uk?

Wow that's crazy
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 06:04 PM   #18
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
This seems crazy!

So as a Brit visiting NYC I can only bring one of my rolexes, if I bring a few of my rolex watches I run the risk of have all but one confiscated and not returned when I fly back to the uk?

Wow that's crazy
That is correct.
Old 29 July 2014, 07:22 PM   #19
MikeBuzzsaw
"TRF" Member

What if I brought a receipt showing I purchased it before I traveled to wherever I'm going?
MikeBuzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 07:57 PM   #20
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
US Customs agents can be friendly and let it slide or ruin your month. Don't test them.

I always find it funny that people go on public forums and admit they've broken the law. Whether it be customs fraud or tax evasion. By tax evasion I mean shipping an empty Rolex box out of state to avoid sales tax.
Old 29 July 2014, 09:02 PM   #21
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
The issue isn't taxes. It's trademark protection rules, which in effect makes it illegal for anyone other than Rolex USA to import a Rolex into the country other than a single watch on your person. So the issue isn't whether the watches will be staying in the USA. There is a real possibility they will never make it into the USA at all as they can be confiscated on entry - and you won't get them back when you leave either.

My advice is to contact US Customs, explain your traveling situation and ask for whatever forms need to be filled out in order to enter with more than one watch. I think there is a thread on this somewhere in the not too distant past. I know this can be done with a US citizen that is leaving the country with more than one and bringing them back. Essentially you declare them before you leave so they know about them when you return. But I'm not sure how this would work when the watches didn't start out in the US.

While it's reasonable to assume customs is not entirely strict (this issue would be a lot more well known if they were confiscating everyone's watches that came to visit) the point is the law says they can. So there is some level of risk.

Whoa, pretty crazy. They certainly do not disclose that to us outsiders very well.
Old 29 July 2014, 09:10 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
US Customs agents can be friendly and let it slide or ruin your month. Don't test them.

I always find it funny that people go on public forums and admit they've broken the law. Whether it be customs fraud or tax evasion. By tax evasion I mean shipping an empty Rolex box out of state to avoid sales tax.
As do we!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 09:13 PM   #23
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I have been bringing more than 1 watch per arrival in the US

Never had any problems

But you never know

Just wear both . . .

HAGOne
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post

The purpose of this thread has nothing to do with fraud or avoiding taxes. It is a simple question if traveling with more than one watch is permitted.

But us foreigners just got the answer we were looking for on the Gov website. Thanks for that Adam!

Last edited by Muzz; 29 July 2014 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Add detail
Old 29 July 2014, 10:57 PM   #25
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
The purpose of this thread has nothing to do with fraud or avoiding taxes. It is a simple question if traveling with more than one watch is permitted.

But us foreigners just got the answer we were looking for on the Gov website. Thanks for that Adam!
It doesn't. But people chime in with their own experiences and inevitably finger themselves .
Old 29 July 2014, 11:20 PM   #26
bardm
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
I think this whole arrangement is horrific.

I can understand that Rolex US want such a deal, but Rolex should demand it removed. After all it abuses itīs own customers who has legally bought their watches in other countries.

What about other brands, say Nike. Should you only be allowed to bring one T-shirt with you? Itīs obvious misuse of the law and government authority.

Sadly itīs just one of several examples that the US is no longer "the greatest democracy in the world", but is more like a banana republic run by the corporations.
Old 29 July 2014, 11:39 PM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardm View Post
I think this whole arrangement is horrific.

I can understand that Rolex US want such a deal, but Rolex should demand it removed. After all it abuses itīs own customers who has legally bought their watches in other countries.

What about other brands, say Nike. Should you only be allowed to bring one T-shirt with you? Itīs obvious misuse of the law and government authority.

Sadly itīs just one of several examples that the US is no longer "the greatest democracy in the world", but is more like a banana republic run by the corporations.
So many misconceptions as usual with this topic.

Rolex SA has a trademark. That trademark specifies that Rolex USA is the sole importer of Rolex into the United States.

Why would Rolex want that protection removed?

There is no misuse of trademark enforcement by US Customs, we simply enforce the law as written.

Anyone that does not like the law can contact their congressperson and encourage them to change the law. Any Rolex buyer that does not like the law should contact Rolex USA and Rolex SA and ask them to consider giving up their trademark.

I cannot comment on any other company or country since that is not relevant to this discussion.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 11:48 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It's seems pretty simple, just wear one Rolex and call it a day
Surely, anyone can make it through a vacation or business trip with just one Rolex.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 12:28 AM   #29
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
One of the reasons I will not move home. Just to have my collection confiscated. No thanks.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 12:51 AM   #30
REDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV 18038 DJ Smurf
We have ROLEX to thank for this asinine rule. It might benefit corporate, but it certainly doesn't benefit owners/collectors.

Better travel with 1 Rolex, 1 Patek, 1 PAM, etc.
REDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote