The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 October 2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Is the IWC Mark XVIII worth a try???

As the title states, is the Mark XVIII worth a try? Anyone with feedback on the watch, especially those that currently have or have previously had an Explorer.

For reference watches that I currently own that could be similar in style / feel.

Rolex Explorer
Kobold Spirit of America
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 11:07 AM   #2
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I had the lpp version, the rotor was a little loud for me, great fitting watch though, especially if you like your exp1 like I do

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:17 PM   #3
tna23
"TRF" Member

I tried it on recently. Great looking watch but lugs were too long and therefore not a good fit if you have a <7 inch wrist.
tna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Wazdakka
"TRF" Member

I tried one on yesterday (blue dial) and it was a really nice watch.

The handset was great, it was a great diameter and thickness, with a lovely side-on profile. The crown was large enough and grippy enough to be useful, with a nice ‘Probus Scafusa’ engraving. The IWC 5-link bracelet was also very comfortable, with an excellent micro-adjust. Much like the new Lange SS sports watch, you press a button on the outside of the clasp and get about 5mm of travel!

You can of course argue about relative value, and there are many minutiae we WIS agonise over (price relative the competition, movement, etc), but it was a very well made watch; very pleasing to inspect and wear, if only for a minute or so.

As some have commented above the lugs are a little long, but that’s common in Fliegers.

I wouldn’t get one, but that’s only because I already have a Fliegerchrono 3706.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wazdakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Wazdakka
"TRF" Member

HODINKEE has a good writup:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-iwc-mark-xviii-4

Old 29 October 2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all for the input and thanks Wazdakka for the link. It was a good read.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 10:52 PM   #7
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I have the LLP Mark XVIII and I really enjoy it. I have owned a few Marks over the years and a few pilot chronos. I prefer the chronos on a strap and wear my Mark XVIII on a strap. I do wish I purchased it on the bracelet because IWC bracelets are the best on the market. I have owned many dozen Rolex sport watches over the years and I can say 100% that IWC bracelets are a step above Rolex, even today as Rolex has stepped us their game with their bracelets.
Old 29 October 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I have the LLP Mark XVIII and I really enjoy it. I have owned a few Marks over the years and a few pilot chronos. I prefer the chronos on a strap and wear my Mark XVIII on a strap. I do wish I purchased it on the bracelet because IWC bracelets are the best on the market. I have owned many dozen Rolex sport watches over the years and I can say 100% that IWC bracelets are a step above Rolex, even today as Rolex has stepped us their game with their bracelets.
do you find the movement loud?

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:09 AM   #9
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Honestly think the XVIII bracelet is a little rough around the edges in terms of finish. Wasn’t impressed with the one I handled at all. Thought screamed “produced to a budget”... although I have a preference for fliegers on strap anyway.

Despite the criticisms of the movement, value and date position and my own fear of Richemont, I keep looking at them every few months. The new spitfires have giving me further pause though; surely that new movement is going to find its way into a new reduced sized XIX sooner rather than later.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 03:20 PM   #10
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Well I am a fan of the Mark XVIII myself, really like to brown face, IW327003. I am waiting to see if they update all of the Mark's similar to the new Spitfire. (new movement, 39mm case and 10.8mm Thickness)
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:26 PM   #11
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
do you find the movement loud?

steve
I really don’t pay attention but if I flick my wrist hard, I can hear the rotor. I think it’s cool, I know my watch just got wound a little bit.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:37 AM   #12
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Date placement on the 18 is wonky to me -- IWC got it right on the Mark XV but not since then.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:46 PM   #13
Wazdakka
"TRF" Member

If you do want to go with a smaller size and an in-house movement, the new three-hander spitfires are rolling out to stores now, but between the bronze case and green dial or the black dial and tan lume, I’m not sure them scratch the same itch as the current Marks. Great watches, certainly, but with a more rustic charm.

As others have said, you can wait for these movements to filter into the Mark series, but I’ve always found that waiting period pretty unbearable, as the timing of when, and in which models the new movements are introduced is so uncertain.

Old 2 November 2019, 06:18 PM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

I think the Mark XVIII has been a step in the right direction after the XVI and XVII. Personally I would buy used and get a classic Mark XV instead, ideally w both the pyramid bracelet and strap-deployant combo. More timeless design than the XVIII including better placement of the date window. The pyramid bracelet is one of the best bracelets ever made, period, and miles ahead of the bracelets on Rolex or Patek sports watches in terms of comfort. On the bracelet the Mark XV is a true tool watch that can take a beating and only looks the better for it. No rotor noise either as far as I remember.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 05:18 AM   #15
Johnnynic
"TRF" Member

I have the Petit Prince version of this watch and I wear this as my daily. I end up wearing it on weekends too as matter of habit as the brown strap looks cool with jeans etc. The only thing is my Rolex collection sometimes doesn’t get a look in.
Johnnynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 09:35 AM   #16
Drives550
"TRF" Member

I have the Mark XVIII petit prince. I’ve had a 5 digit sub. Have an oysterquartz and a 114200 Air King (34mm). I really like the IWC. Legibility was a priority for me, it and it’s fantastic for that. Accuracy is great - seems to lose about 4 seconds after I set it then more or less stay there. Haven’t played with it much to see if I could factor for it. I never hear the watch. Bracelet is great, micro adjust is super handy. It is a bit big - looks wise it’s fine, but as opposed to my smaller watches, the IWC wants to rest “above the bone” on my wrist (I’m more a below the bone guy), but it doesn’t bother me much.

On the whole, I’m happy to own it, suites it’s purpose perfectly, and I like the look. Also, got a 15% discount after a 15 minute phone chat, and had it shipped no sales tax. I recommend the watch.
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 01:28 PM   #17
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tna23 View Post
I tried it on recently. Great looking watch but lugs were too long and therefore not a good fit if you have a <7 inch wrist.

I agree. I have 7.25” inch wrist and thought it was too big for my wrist. I wear a Sub and fits much better.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 08:24 AM   #18
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I was dead set on buying a blue dial until I tried it on at the AD. Did not click with it. I did click more with their chronos but have yet to buy an IWC.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote