The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #1
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Aqua Terra 150

Hell to all,

I am still a newbie when it comes to luxury watches. Have been able to get pretty much all the wanted Rolex Models so far.

Anyhow, I think the aqua terra 150 (not sure of the dial color yet) checks a lotta boxes. A simple watch comparable to the DJ41, comes with rubber band or bracelet and has a jumping hour hand, perfect for time zone jumping. I don't need GMT hand or bezel, have the BLRO for that.

Had few questions about it from owners of the AT. What are your thoughts on the quality when you compare it with something like a DJ? Or it is something not comparable?

What kind of discount should I ask if buying through an AD? I see them listed for 3800-4500 on Chrono24! Are all the SS models on discount and some are not?

How easy is it to change from rubber to steel bracelet? And lastly which option is the best value wise? Get steel and rubber strap or order strap version and steel bracelet on the side?
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I recently purchased a Seamaster AT GMT and really like it and I also own a DJII, the quality of the AT is good but I honestly don’t think it’s on the same level as the DJII, I purchased my AT from DavidSw and was very happy with the pricing but if you purchase new from an AD I would shoot for 20% off MSRP as I know they can be had in the gray mkt for that
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:28 AM   #3
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I recently purchased a Seamaster AT GMT and really like it and I also own a DJII, the quality of the AT is good but I honestly don’t think it’s on the same level as the DJII, I purchased my AT from DavidSw and was very happy with the pricing but if you purchase new from an AD I would shoot for 20% off MSRP as I know they can be had in the gray mkt for that
Thanks. Appreciate the information. I can see that the quality wouldn't be as good as a DJII. Datejust are great, but for that price I would consider a GMT.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:55 AM   #4
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post
Hell to all,

I am still a newbie when it comes to luxury watches. Have been able to get pretty much all the wanted Rolex Models so far.

Anyhow, I think the aqua terra 150 (not sure of the dial color yet) checks a lotta boxes. A simple watch comparable to the DJ41, comes with rubber band or bracelet and has a jumping hour hand, perfect for time zone jumping. I don't need GMT hand or bezel, have the BLRO for that.

Had few questions about it from owners of the AT. What are your thoughts on the quality when you compare it with something like a DJ? Or it is something not comparable?

What kind of discount should I ask if buying through an AD? I see them listed for 3800-4500 on Chrono24! Are all the SS models on discount and some are not?

How easy is it to change from rubber to steel bracelet? And lastly which option is the best value wise? Get steel and rubber strap or order strap version and steel bracelet on the side?

I would say minimum 25% from the AD. However I'd go pre owned for most Omega's, except a few special pieces that you can't get anyway.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:22 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
In terms of quality control and reliability, Rolex has a small but discernible edge over the Aqua Terra. Otherwise, the Caliber 8900 in the 41.5mm Aqua Terra is world-class, and the watch is a delight to own and wear. My previous-generation Aqua Terra is one of the only watches I own that non-WIS friends and colleagues notice (I guess I wear low-key watches).

I have a couple of watches on Oyster or similar bracelets, and if I were shopping for a new Aqua Terra right now I would probably just buy it on that totally cool rubber strap

If you admire the OEM bracelet then I guess you'll want to buy it that way and then order the rubber strap and deployant clasp from an Omega Boutique, but note that there is another recent thread here discussing the surprisingly high cost of those.

As other respondents here have noted, I would browse the sites of TRF Trusted Sellers and spend ~$4 for a new one or ~$3.5 for very slightly pre-owned. Don't buy an Aqua Terra without the manufacturer's warranty; they've been known to require the occasional repair (usually issues with crown functionality or hour-hand misalignment). Still, it's a dynamite watch to wear, and I recommend buying one.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:24 AM   #6
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
I would say minimum 25% from the AD. However I'd go pre owned for most Omega's, except a few special pieces that you can't get anyway.
I am thinking to start at 30% and go from there! Pre-owned is a good idea too. I'll look into it. Chrono24 has all the options. My AD has been good to me so might go that route. I will be in Europe so will checkout the prices there as well.

Thanks.
Old 17 September 2019, 05:26 AM   #7
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
In terms of quality control and reliability, Rolex has a small but discernible edge over the Aqua Terra. Otherwise, the Caliber 8900 in the 41.5mm Aqua Terra is world-class, and the watch is a delight to own and wear. My previous-generation Aqua Terra is one of the only watches I own that non-WIS friends and colleagues notice (I guess I wear low-key watches).

I have a couple of watches on Oyster or similar bracelets, and if I were shopping for a new Aqua Terra right now I would probably just buy it on that totally cool rubber strap

If you admire the OEM bracelet then I guess you'll want to buy it that way and then order the rubber strap and deployant clasp from an Omega Boutique, but note that there is another recent thread here discussing the surprisingly high cost of those.

As other respondents here have noted, I would browse the sites of TRF Trusted Sellers and spend ~$4 for a new one or ~$3.5 for very slightly pre-owned. Don't buy an Aqua Terra without the manufacturer's warranty; they've been known to require the occasional repair (usually issues with crown functionality or hour-hand misalignment). Still, it's a dynamite watch to wear, and I recommend buying one.

Thanks for sharing the feedback. The bracelet seems like a cheaper option then buying the OEM rubber strap. So can add that later. Thanks for suggesting about the warranty, will keep that in mind.
Old 17 September 2019, 06:13 AM   #8
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post
I am thinking to start at 30% and go from there! Pre-owned is a good idea too. I'll look into it. Chrono24 has all the options. My AD has been good to me so might go that route. I will be in Europe so will checkout the prices there as well.

Thanks.

Good luck brother!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote