The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 October 2017, 03:40 AM   #1
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1975 Explorer II
Sharing Vintage Gold BubbleBack

Hello everyone, wanted to share and ask some info about this family Rolex, this watch belonged to my great grandfather, I know little of this model and have no paper work of it atm.

I know its in rough shape, I doubt it has ever been serviced in its life, but here it is.

I know the model its a "Bubble Back" and from the serial # its from 1945, gold bracelet and gold case, other than that I know nothing more, edited
He engraved his initials in the back part of the case with the date.

.... just noticed I need 10 posts to write here photobucket URL's. The current upload limit is very small
JManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:54 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManuel View Post
Hello everyone, wanted to share and ask some info about this family Rolex, this watch belonged to my great grandfather, I know little of this model and have no paper work of it atm.

I know its in rough shape, I doubt it has ever been serviced in its life, but here it is.

I know the model its a "Bubble Back" and from the serial # its from 1945, gold bracelet and gold case, other than that I know nothing more, edited
He engraved his initials in the back part of the case with the date.

.... just noticed I need 10 posts to write here photobucket URL's. The current upload limit is very small
Email me at

RolexWatchTime@att.net

I will post your pics and give you info on the watch.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:51 AM   #3
JManuel
"TRF" Member

pics sent ! Ty
Old 17 October 2017, 06:20 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Your watch is a 3372 from about 1945 per serial number. It's pretty rough.

Dial has been refinished. Caseback knurls are all but gone and the bezel is fairly worn. Still pretty cool watch.

Much can be done to improve it.

Band is likely not original to the watch as supplied by the company but rather an associated bracelet. Looks very much like a Kreisler Mesh band. Even that in solid 14 is rare.

It would cost some money to fix it up...and likely more than it is worth completed but various things could be done to make it "road worthy."

Movement service and gaskets, crystal and hopefully a water test.

I can do all of that.

The caseback can even be restored with knurls.

The wear at the spring bars can be repaired without being noticeable. Even endpieces could be fabricated from what you have there to fit properly.

All depends on how much money one wants to spend I guess.

Dial is all of the value in most vintage watches and refinished...it really hurts it.

A WELL refinished dial would make it more user friendly and is not cost prohibitive.

I can service the watch and take care of all of that to whatever degree is desired.

It's not an inexpensive proposition however.

Without actually seeing the watch in hand it would be difficult to assess costs.

You have my email if you need to contact me I would be happy to try and help you in whatever capacity you would like.

Old 17 October 2017, 06:38 AM   #5
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting the pics and info about it.

Yeah its pretty worn up watch, used daily for decades, "patina" and/or dirt can se been everywhere too.

Didn't knew about the mesh band wasn't original, never really diged in into it, maybe thats why I couln't find a similar combination over the internet.

As for servicing or even cleaning it I dont know, not that I will wear it, just a timepiece worn by a family member, maybe one day I'll decide to give some of its original glory back, as for now I guess it'll stay on a safe place.

Thanks for the info!
Old 17 October 2017, 11:53 AM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Sure! Glad to help!
Old 17 October 2017, 03:50 PM   #7
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Nice heirloom!

I'm more for keeping it looking intact as when great grandpa last had it on. But it would be good to have the insides serviced & fresh seals, if only to check that nothing is broken & further wearing won't wreck it.

The other thing to consider is today the skills & parts to fix these oldies are dying out, if you wait too long they'll be unobtanum before long :(
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote