The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2015, 03:53 AM   #31
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Reay Watches View Post
Sorry guys before the rumours get out of control might as well hear it straight from the horses mouth!. Ive not been well last few months, stress related mainly, doctor said I have to cutback on my business activities, so that is what I have had to do for the sake of my health and my family. It may only be 'Au Revoir' though, let's see what the future brings!. Have been passing my old clients onto Syd from Time4Diamonds as he is a proper guy and will look after you almost as much as I did ;-)

Darren Reay
Get well soon darren i know that feeling
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 03:19 PM   #32
Hilly10
"TRF" Member

He is in jail now
Hilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 03:33 PM   #33
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly10 View Post
He is in jail now
Correct, I read it as well.

Here is the link

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/cow...lion-tax-fraud
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 06:03 PM   #34
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

oh dear
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 06:44 PM   #35
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-re...-vat-1-8157444
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 06:50 PM   #36
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Guess this explains the competitive pricing!
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 07:25 PM   #37
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Wow...

On another note, can anyone recommend trusted sellers from the UK?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 10:00 PM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Damn.

Official Watches and Luxe have good supply of APs but not particularly cheap nowadays.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 04:35 AM   #39
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Wow

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 04:41 AM   #40
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I bought from this guy last year...

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 08:30 AM   #41
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post

That's incredible - he had over 800 watches stashed in his house. I am amazed he got away with this scam for so long given the volume of parcels he was importing.

I wonder where and how HMRC are selling these watches.

What about his customers who have bought a watch where the VAT import duty has not been paid, will this be an issue for them. I have heard of problems with insurance companies not paying out if a watch was stolen and it is discovered that the VAT has not been paid - they use it as an excuse to get out of paying out in the event of a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2016, 07:28 PM   #42
Hound
"TRF" Member

That might explain why when he sold a watch of mine on consignment in 2014 it was only when I saw a picture of the new watch posted by a WIS on watchprosite that I contacted him to ask where my £ were. Firstly he claimed he didn't know it had been sold i.e. Played dumb. Then to actually get the money from him was another story. Funnily enough it was when I suggested police action that he started to get a bit more responsive. He did pay eventually to his credit but I knew something was dodgy.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 07:49 PM   #43
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Trial at Teesside Crown Court, only 10 minutes from where I live. Shocking to hear this.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 09:54 PM   #44
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I've often read on TRF recommendations from members referring to grey dealers as great guys who'll look after other TRF members. This case highlights the fact that grey dealers are out to make money and unlike the AD's the grey dealers don't come under brand scrutiny and therefore some will choose to lie and cheat to deliver unbelievable prices.
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 11:43 PM   #45
georgemc
"TRF" Member

I remember buying something from Watches of Distinction a couple of years ago, and Darren came up in conversation. Giles was a bit critical of Darren's approach to importing then, and made a point of letting me know he always sources his imports from within the EU and makes sure the correct, actual VAT is paid on them. His advice was "don't ever take anything you bought from Darren on holidays abroad" Not sure how valid that is. Anyone?
georgemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 11:49 PM   #46
texex91
"TRF" Member

Guess his health is about to get worse...
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 11:51 PM   #47
georgemc
"TRF" Member

I wonder who's charged with selling his stock now? Might be a few bargains up for grabs!
georgemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 03:40 AM   #48
BlueIn2Red
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I've often read on TRF recommendations from members referring to grey dealers as great guys who'll look after other TRF members. This case highlights the fact that grey dealers are out to make money and unlike the AD's the grey dealers don't come under brand scrutiny and therefore some will choose to lie and cheat to deliver unbelievable prices.
That's a very unfair generalisation in my opinion.
BlueIn2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 03:45 AM   #49
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
It specifically wasn't a generalisation, perhaps you should read the last sentence again.
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 01:09 PM   #50
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
A couple of things I noticed from both news articles:

There seems to be real disgust in tax evasion in the U.K., plus a stiff sentence to follow. For enforcement of laws to work, punishment must be swift, certain, and severe.
You don't see that level of enforcement nor disgust as much here in the US for those who turn great profits yet manage to avoid taxes.

Second, someone please keep an eye out for the auction!!
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 02:09 PM   #51
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Wow, that's a whole lot of money he avoided paying. That's messed up.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 03:49 AM   #52
Callowupside
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Reay Watches View Post
Sorry guys before the rumours get out of control might as well hear it straight from the horses mouth!. Ive not been well last few months, stress related mainly, doctor said I have to cutback on my business activities, so that is what I have had to do for the sake of my health and my family. It may only be 'Au Revoir' though, let's see what the future brings!. Have been passing my old clients onto Syd from Time4Diamonds as he is a proper guy and will look after you almost as much as I did ;-)

Darren Reay
Or perhaps the stress of the police kicking your door in and seizing your stock which would be why you had to cut back and the future will bring prison I vote..... and a nice proceeds of crime case...... karma Darren...... it's a bitch!
Callowupside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 05:59 AM   #53
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:49 AM   #54
Watchseller
"TRF" Member

Darren Reay

Hello guys,

I came across this thread accidently on Google and normally I’m not a forum type of person (sorry!) however I felt the urge to add a few lines regarding Darren Reay who I have known personally and in business for around 15+ years and have had plentiful contact with during his problems with HMRC. You shouldn’t always believe everything that you read online. Yes Darren did sell imported watches from the USA for 4 years out of the 15 years he was in business, and yes he didn’t pay anywhere near the correct amount of import VAT and duty, however he certainly didn’t pocket anything like £1.2M, and none of his customers lost a penny, on the contrary his customers saved anything from 15% to 40% on their luxury watch, while Darren earned an average of 5% from each sale, on a typical £10k watch he would get £500 gross and then pay VAT on his profit (I've seen the figures myself!). Over a period of 4 years he earned approx. £300k in total from the USA imported watches and ended up having to sign over 800 used watches to HMRC in order to satisfy them and quash his Import VAT bill, so it is safe to say that HMRC have now been settled in full. He was arrested by HMRC and interviewed/prosecuted by HMRC (Not the police as some people have said). It seems that the only person who has lost out here is Darren himself, after 15 years in business he has been wiped out financially, and also been sentenced to 3 years in prison. Don’t get me wrong I do not condone tax evasion, everyone needs to pay what they owe. The people close to Darren know the real truth, the people who don’t know Darren believe every word they read in the newspapers and online stories, which don’t show all of the facts. Sorry to waffle on a little but Darren isn’t here to defend himself and explain (for obvious reasons) so I took it upon myself to pass this information on.

And before anyone asks, no I don’t know where the 800 watches are being sold :-) probably some auction house somewhere making 10% of what they are actually worth!
Watchseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:20 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchseller View Post
Hello guys,

I came across this thread accidently on Google and normally I’m not a forum type of person (sorry!) however I felt the urge to add a few lines regarding Darren Reay who I have known personally and in business for around 15+ years and have had plentiful contact with during his problems with HMRC. You shouldn’t always believe everything that you read online. Yes Darren did sell imported watches from the USA for 4 years out of the 15 years he was in business, and yes he didn’t pay anywhere near the correct amount of import VAT and duty, however he certainly didn’t pocket anything like £1.2M, and none of his customers lost a penny, on the contrary his customers saved anything from 15% to 40% on their luxury watch, while Darren earned an average of 5% from each sale, on a typical £10k watch he would get £500 gross and then pay VAT on his profit (I've seen the figures myself!). Over a period of 4 years he earned approx. £300k in total from the USA imported watches and ended up having to sign over 800 used watches to HMRC in order to satisfy them and quash his Import VAT bill, so it is safe to say that HMRC have now been settled in full. He was arrested by HMRC and interviewed/prosecuted by HMRC (Not the police as some people have said). It seems that the only person who has lost out here is Darren himself, after 15 years in business he has been wiped out financially, and also been sentenced to 3 years in prison. Don’t get me wrong I do not condone tax evasion, everyone needs to pay what they owe. The people close to Darren know the real truth, the people who don’t know Darren believe every word they read in the newspapers and online stories, which don’t show all of the facts. Sorry to waffle on a little but Darren isn’t here to defend himself and explain (for obvious reasons) so I took it upon myself to pass this information on.

And before anyone asks, no I don’t know where the 800 watches are being sold :-) probably some auction house somewhere making 10% of what they are actually worth!
thats pretty much what i thought, so not sure why its new info. Not paying VAT is stealing and is also undercutting legitimate businesses with an unfair advantage potentially putting them out of business. Having an unfair advantage isn't a legitimate business model, and the fact his customers got a good deal is irrelevant. If i get a good deal buying stolen goods vs buying them on the high street its also wrong and basically the same thing. Paying VAT on the profit is what allowed him to sell at 40% discounts since he was not paying VAT on the import value.

While it may be true he may not have pocketed 1.2M, my guess is that fugue is what he owed by not paying the correct VAT, so in his pocket or not its the same.

I would suspect Darren isn't the only one who "has lost". Im guessing there are some legitimate dealers who played by the rules and paid what they owed who were undercut and lost their businesses as a result of the illegal pricing structure. Not to mention the taxpayers who also lost. That 1.2m would have otherwise gone to funding things like schools, or other public services. He stole from me and i didn't even buy a watch from him, but i am a taxpayer.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote