The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 September 2016, 06:54 AM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
My S7 has a fitness monitor on board.

It does a good enough job and it stays in my pocket.

If you don't have a pocket, I think someone must still sell fanny packs or something along those lines.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 07:04 AM   #32
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Rolex vs. Apple Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rle737ng View Post
wear on your non-watch arm.

x2
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 07:04 AM   #33
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
It is more like swiss luxury watch vs electronic smart watch.

20 years ago people can live without a cell phone. Now smartphone is a must for daily life. Could smart watch become necessity someday in the near future? Just one new Steve Jobs away from that day.

WIS will soon have to wear two things I believe
I must be dead then. Seriously I don't have one, never have and don't desire one, at all. I want pocket space, lightweight, good battery life and no nonsense social media or even TRF in my day to day. My phone doesn't even have a camera. How do I survive?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 07:44 AM   #34
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
The only difference I discovered in watching that whole 'presentation' was that you can swim with it and that it's 'faster' than the last one. Wearble medical tech must have a LOT more than a booboo heart rate monitor and a booboo pedometer to be an effective medical device. As a gadget it's super neat-o and all; but I got one as a Krismas gift last year and stopped wearing it very soon thereafter.

The only useful functions I found for myself were: changing songs on my BT speaker when my phone was on the charger, and knowing when someone was calling/text messaging me while said phone was also on said charger. The gimmicks like sending my heartbeat to someone, or drawing a 1" x 1" scribble to other watch wearers I found more aggravating than anything. I did enjoy knowing my Uber or Lyft driver was coming...

I'll wait and see what's in my stocking this year; but the only watches I will purchase going forward will be mechanical in construction.
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 09:58 AM   #35
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I must be dead then. Seriously I don't have one, never have and don't desire one, at all. I want pocket space, lightweight, good battery life and no nonsense social media or even TRF in my day to day. My phone doesn't even have a camera. How do I survive?

I meant the majority. There's always exception. Some people even prefer to live in a tree house without electricity :-)
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 10:29 AM   #36
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I wear a Fitbit on my right arm, Apple Watch idea is exhausting to me. I prefer to unplug.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 10:48 AM   #37
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
I know people that believe the Apple Watch improves their daily life. I know people that thought it would improve theirs, and it turns out that they don't see the benefits. I know people that bought one, wore it for a week, and stuck it in a drawer.

Then there are people like myself that don't see the point in them at all - just another device to worry about charging.
With you all the way on that one

I honestly think the Apple Watch, as well as the offerings from other providers, are an absolute menace. I was out for lunch with a client last year and she was wearing an Apple Watch. Every other minute, she was looking at her watch and I asked her if I was boring her. I thought she was checking the time and it turned out that that the watch was alerting her to emails and messages. She had no idea she was doing it and was absolutely mortified.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 10:49 AM   #38
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I meant the majority. There's always exception. Some people even prefer to live in a tree house without electricity :-)
Going green is the new black.
Old 10 September 2016, 11:54 AM   #39
rodneygt3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I am a tech geek and have thought about the same thing. I wear my rolex and my fitbit on my other wrist. The fitbit is smaller and many times fits under my cuff of my work shirts so you don't see it. On the other hand, I wear both with a tee-shirt. I have been thinking about getting the new fitbit HR charge 2.
rodneygt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 11:59 AM   #40
5253Reynolds
Banned

Watch: 116710_ln
Best advice I ever got concerning fitness was from a blind man on Cape Cod. I paddled across a bay on a kayak. Upon my return I asked him how far it was. His reply, "who cares do you feel good?" American business is currently caught up in metrics mania, which filters into our daily life because most of us work in some sort of business environment. Who cares about how many steps you take in a day our what your heart rate is? It ends the same for us all. If you like the Apple watch buy it enjoy it for what it is, but realize it serves no other function.
5253Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:21 PM   #41
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5253Reynolds View Post
Best advice I ever got concerning fitness was from a blind man on Cape Cod. I paddled across a bay on a kayak. Upon my return I asked him how far it was. His reply, "who cares do you feel good?" American business is currently caught up in metrics mania, which filters into our daily life because most of us work in some sort of business environment. Who cares about how many steps you take in a day our what your heart rate is? It ends the same for us all. If you like the Apple watch buy it enjoy it for what it is, but realize it serves no other function.
This 100%

I have absolutely no need to monitor anything when working out. I could care less how many calories are burned, I go until the set is done or some other more meaningful criteria. I don't care what my heart rate is, and why would I?

I think people tend to want to quantify something other than just do it for the sake of doing it, therefore quantifying that they actually "worked out."

As for Apple watches, I really don't see them in SE Asia. I see a million G-Shock watches, but probably less than 10 Apple watches. Like other Apple products, it's a lot of marketing a hype.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:28 PM   #42
WillOdling
"TRF" Member

Oh so that's an Apple Watch?!!?

I though they were just catching, tagging and releasing morons. I assumed it was an alternative to the Bluetooth headset method
WillOdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:43 PM   #43
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
you can do like Teddy:
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 01:07 PM   #44
Onikage
"TRF" Member

I understand the potential of such a device in an increasingly electronic world but seriously. Step-o-meters? Imparting a couple of smartphone functions to a 1.5 inch screen on your wrist that you have to take off and charge. What a pain in the backside!
Sad that a vast portion of society is already hopelessly addicted to little screens. That overall awareness of surroundings is certain to suffer doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Old 10 September 2016, 01:14 PM   #45
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I would never give up wrist real estate for an Apple Watch. For tracking my workouts I use a heart rate monitor (in-ear) and for daily activities, I ise a Fitbit One - clipped on my waist.

No comparison IMHO. I can live without my monitors m, but not without my watch
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:59 PM   #46
Jack Bauer
"TRF" Member

Just wear the Apple watch on your dominant hand? I don't think that'd look too tacky.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:21 PM   #47
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
Just wear the Apple watch on your dominant hand? I don't think that'd look too tacky.
A tacky device is a tacky device, regardless of where it is worn.

I have a friend who wears his Fitbit on his ankle.

I think that'd be the best place to wear an Apple watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 10:16 PM   #48
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
WIS will soon have to wear two things I believe
Man I couldn't disagree more. The smartwatch is a completely unnecessary gizmo that we all can and will be able to live without just fine. I'm very fit and healthy. A smartphone is as plugged in and connected as I'll ever be. And even then I leave the thing behind all the time when I'm out and about. I think it's unhealthy to be constantly plugged in and always contactable. At least for me. So enjoy your higher stress levels and less relaxed lives all you gizmo lovers.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 10:48 PM   #49
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
A tacky device is a tacky device, regardless of where it is worn.
They are tacky. I can't help but smile at the uptight millennials I see wearing these things and nervously fidgeting on the Metro here in DC or in the cabins of a jet I might be dead heading or commuting on. I say for maximum plugged in effect and accurate health monitoring then they should shove them right up their cabooses.
Old 10 September 2016, 10:51 PM   #50
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

. . . . . . . .
Old 10 September 2016, 10:52 PM   #51
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rle737ng View Post
Get a Fitbit. Wear on your non-watch arm. That's what I do. Works great. Works with my iPhone. I get to wear Rolex.
Exactly.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:17 AM   #52
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Ok, lets be clear: If you're wearing an Apple Watch and a Rolex you're only wearing ONE watch.

I may be really old school, but I fail to see how something that did not exist a few years ago can now be indispensable.

People worked out and trained before this tendency of constant monitoring, or are we all suddenly going for pro-level performance fitness ?

I know for a fact that I can happily live without a device constantly monitoring my vitals.
+1 to this.

And for what its worth I am still managing to survive in this world without a smartphone with no plans to get one. Don't have facebook, never tweeted, life still manages to go on with out all the "essential" stuff most people have in their lives.
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:17 AM   #53
josephvman
Banned

I've been interested in the Apple Watch since it launched, but the lack of water resistance was a deal killer for me, as my primary use would be for tracking my swimming workout. I'm going to jump in and get the new model and see how useful it is, maybe try wearing it on my non-watch hand and see if I can get used to that. They seem to have launched quite a few new styles and colors for the cases and bands, so I'm struggling to figure out which one to order. I'll probably go black aluminum with the black fabric strap that looks a bit like a NATO.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:32 AM   #54
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Rolex vs. Apple Watch

Not enough ROI for me. Not $ cost but operational costs. I am already a slave to my "work" phone. I just do not need another device to charge up and manage on a daily basis.
I work out daily but don't see any health benefits to my exercise routine which is mostly lifting and running on a treadmill.
My wife wears a Rolex and a Fitbit but she is measuring activity and calories.
If they made a smart watch that replaced the phone--in other words a stand alone device, I might take another look.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:35 AM   #55
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I don't need the Apple Watch to tell me I'm overweight. I know I am. Besides the tightness/looseness of my bracelet gives me an indicator and I can use my watch to time my heartbeat.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:38 AM   #56
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
If an Apple Watch helps people to move more often then I'm all for it. For me I don't see the appeal of an iWatch on any level... I have enough things tracking me already, I don't need or want my watch to do it as well.

But comparing an iWatch to a Rolex (or any other high-end watch) is like comparing a Vauxhall to a Bentley. Except for basic purpose there's almost no comparison. The only feature on any smartwatch that I'd find useful is a tapping feature for directions (i.e., 1 tap for right, 2 taps for left, 3 for forward, etc.) so that I could leave my iPhone in my pocket where it belongs.

An iWatch is disposable a Rolex isn't.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 01:48 AM   #57
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I am also tempted to order one. I used the first gen Apple Watch and I really miss the HRM and messaging when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 05:45 AM   #58
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
I think is all about pryorities in life,
"Health (apple) versus Wealth (Rolex) ...."
Is up to each one to decide which, when and how often to wear ...

Cheers!

J.

PS. Which is best? Ridding a wheel chair wearing a Rolex or ridding a BMW with an apple watch...
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 08:33 AM   #59
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

So Rolex wearers = wheelchair bound invalids and gadget lovers = healthy BMW drivers? I'd love to see the research you referenced before claiming that. This Rolex wearer just got back to the States after two weeks in the Alps cycling up some very steep and famous climbs. An annual trip I might add. Not all Rolex wearers are in wheelchairs yet. Wow, fifteen seconds of my time and the ability to multiply by four just informed me what my resting heart rate is. And it's much lower than the reading many of you need another silly gadget to tell you.
Old 14 September 2016, 12:20 AM   #60
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I think is all about pryorities in life,
"Health (apple) versus Wealth (Rolex) ...."
Is up to each one to decide which, when and how often to wear ...

Cheers!

J.

PS. Which is best? Ridding a wheel chair wearing a Rolex or ridding a BMW with an apple watch...
Pure bullpoopy. I am pushing 50 buddy and have never needed some electronic device to nannynag my lazy butt into exercising (yeah, see that shiny thing on my wrist, that is not fitbit or applewatch or whatever, but a seadweller). pretty sure I am not needing a wheelchair yet. Lets see how good of shape your in with your electronic exercise wetnurse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg er.jpg (110.9 KB, 95 views)
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote