69ways
Banned

Zenith sport

Hello
Found this Zenith Sport for about 170 USD
Anyone knows anything about this?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9B06800C-3664-4E0A-B27B-5B505B4A745F.jpeg (180.7 KB, 78 views)
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 09:58 PM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

Hello Mister err...69ways ?

My name is Megan from Malaysia and many many moons ago, I use to hang out in the Omega Vintage Watches Discussion section of the Omega Forum with my Vintage Gurus , men 30-40-50 yrs my senior ! They taught me about lots of vintage watches so...Yeah......!

The other readers can fill in the gaps or point out any of my mistakes but I'll give it a shot identifying your watch. Why did you post only 0ne photo ? You're suppose to provide at least 5/6 photos at different angles including a macroshot of the inner caseback and the movement inside !

I'm impressed ...really .That looks like a rare , all original unrestored Zenith Sporto from the time of 5 Star General Dwight.D Eisenhower was POTUS , I'm placing your watch in the mid 50s -->perhaps 1955 when gold watches were all in the rage.

The Arabic numerals , Zenith Star logo and Zenith Sporto fonts are in raised gold markers. I'm guessing the original colour of the dial is white but has developed a nice even creamy patina over the years

What makes this Xenith Sporto really special are those absolutely wonderful very very rare genuine gold Roman Sword hands ! Vintage watch collectors would kill for those Roman Sword hands and use 'em as replacement parts ! In addition the imperfections on the patina dial and the blurred markers on the subdials makes the watch even more convincing.

Is that an original SS shutter style bracelet that came with the watch ? I've never seen an genuine one before , usually the watches are replaced with brown or black leather straps The crown seems original too not the usual oversized replacement.

I'm surprised the unpolished non water resistant ( Vintage watches are never water resistant no matter what is engraved on the back ) casing is still in pretty good shape , what the casing size ? 34 mm ? 35 mm ? The acrylic crystal seems intact , nice sharp well defined lugs

The watch if I'm not mistaken is fitted with a mechanical hand winding 17 Jewels Zenith Calibre 40 so let a qualified watchmaker open the case back and confirm the movement

I think you did well for USD170 but remember you still need to clean and service the watch AND parts replaced by an expert vintage watchmaker. The replacement 'spare' parts aren't easy to find and you may end up paying more than you bargained for. Anyways , you could always make it a personal project to have it fully restored to its glory days.

Ok. That's a Rap ! Thank you Sir for having me on your thread !

Best Wishes & Good Luck ,
God Speed-DY

-Megan-
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 11:57 PM   #3
69ways
Banned

The guy that had it was a bit strange regarding photos
Will post one more to help a bit
The bracelet was not the original btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7CD31CC8-B28A-445B-8D3C-E44AD14EBD86.jpeg (96.9 KB, 60 views)
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote